• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

I don't have a disc I got it through a student promotion. At the time I was scared to go 64bit though I know that was silly now and I'm willing to upgrade. Based on what you are saying I'd technically gain 2GB Ram

1GB = System Ram
1GB = Video ram

That's Definately worth it and could help I'll consider doing it

32bit can handle 4 gigs (it's actually 3.98 or some shit like that if I remember correctly) but Microsofts site calls it 4. So you're losing a gig. I have zero clue how that works with the VRAM of the card. I assume you are using the gig on the card and 3 gigs of ram, so you have a gig of system ram doing nothing. Again, I assume, don't take this as written in stone.

Like I said, your key will work if you have a friend/family member who has a copy of 64bit. If not, you're kind of fucked.

How do you run it in 64bit? When I mouse over it in the taskbar it says 32bit :/

We're talking Windows, not the game itself.

hlhbk

Yes, but the game exe is 32-bit, and even though it's large address aware, as soon as it hits 2 GB of system RAM usage it encounters errors and fucks itself.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO TEST AND WANT TO REPORT YOUR RESULTS, HERE ARE MY SETTINGS TO KEEP THINGS CONSISTENT
1080p, 32x CSAA, Max everything on DX9, 16x AF forced through drivers and ini's, Shadowmapresolution @ 4096, PhysX HIGH, Vsync + Triple buffering ON

Glide through the city while rapidly panning the camera. You will see hitches and drops below 60 FPS if everything is how it should be NORMALLY, yet with backgroundstreaming disabled you won't see the hitches.

Ok, here's how to force the game to load into RAM entirely (note, load times will increase):

In Bmengine.ini, change the following (ignore my ; comments, they are there to show you what default was)

Code:
bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False ;original is True
TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects=15 ;original is 60
SizeOfPermanentObjectPool=20600000 ;original is 11600000

Enjoy. Try crossing the city, it will crash about halfway through. Also open up task manager and check out the RAM usage. You will see once it gets close to 209,7xxxxx kb of RAM usage that the application will encounter an error.

I have tried this and my FPS are still all over the place. They will be on 60 FPS, panned the camera around, and they flucuate. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

I am running in DX 9 mode, with everything on max except for physx and MSAA. Physx is off and MSAA is on 2x. I am running at 1920x1200 I have tried fxaa and no AA and I get the same performance. I have checked my GPU isn't even maxed out, so I don't get why my FPS are up and down. Anyone have any ideas?

XOMTOR

Edit2: What is the best option for AA regarding performance? MSAA 2x/4x or FSAA (medium) or Nvidia 8x CSAA? I have no idea :p And I guess I have no chance to play with PhysX on normal?

FXAA would be the best for performance and personally, I find it also looks the best (FXAA high that is). Seriously, this is the best implementation of FXAA (or any post-process AA) I've ever seen. There's usually a slight blurring with FXAA but in this implementation, it's extremely subtle. I tried 8x MSAA with the beta FXAA injector and I think it may look slightly better but it's pretty hard to tell. Also, it breaks MSI Afterburner's OSD, so I went back to the in-game FXAA.

I've never found regular MSAA to be all that effective with Unreal engine titles; it can't seem to get rid of the faint white outline around some textures which leads to pixel crawling. I believe it's something to do with Unreal's deferred shading technique. From what I understand, basically MSAA gets applied too early in the image chain in UE3 to be completely effective. MSAA also can't deal with transparent textures, so you also need to enable transparency supersampling separately to deal with things like fences and such and that'll murder your framerate in most games.

Ok, here's how to force the game to load into RAM entirely (note, load times will increase):

In Bmengine.ini, change the following (ignore my ; comments, they are there to show you what default was)

Code:
bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False ;original is True
TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects=15 ;original is 60
SizeOfPermanentObjectPool=20600000 ;original is 11600000

Enjoy. Try crossing the city, it will crash about halfway through. Also open up task manager and check out the RAM usage. You will see once it gets close to 209,7xxxxx kb of RAM usage that the application will encounter an error.

I gave this a try and while it did reduce some of the stuttering, there was still some for me. Actually, I'm probably nitpicking because thinking back to past UE3 games, this is the same type of hitching; slight but annoying. Alice was this way, as was AA. It could just be the open world nature of the game that makes it appear more prevalent. Another thing I tried was going into the control panel in Windows and choosing the power options and setting it to "high performance". This seemed to make a slight difference but again, who knows.

You were having stuttering in dx9 mode? Fucking weird. My shit is rock solid even flying around and spinning the camera.

Should fluctuate down to 53-55 FPS if you have everything possible maxed and then go right back up to 60 FPS once it's streamed in. If you're not using FRAPS and just eyeballing it, you're not seeing the problem fully.

FXAA would be the best for performance and personally, I find it also looks the best (FXAA high that is). Seriously, this is the best implementation of FXAA (or any post-process AA) I've ever seen. There's usually a slight blurring with FXAA but in this implementation, it's extremely subtle. I tried 8x MSAA with the beta FXAA injector and I think it may look slightly better but it's pretty hard to tell. Also, it breaks MSI Afterburner's OSD, so I went back to the in-game FXAA.

I've never found regular MSAA to be all that effective with Unreal engine titles; it can't seem to get rid of the faint white outline around some textures which leads to pixel crawling. I believe it's something to do with Unreal's deferred shading technique. From what I understand, basically MSAA gets applied too early in the image chain in UE3 to be completely effective. MSAA also can't deal with transparent textures, so you also need to enable transparency supersampling separately to deal with things like fences and such and that'll murder your framerate in most games.

I gave this a try and while it did reduce some of the stuttering, there was still some for me. Actually, I'm probably nitpicking because thinking back to past UE3 games, this is the same type of hitching; slight but annoying. Alice was this way, as was AA. It could just be the open world nature of the game that makes it appear more prevalent. Another thing I tried was going into the control panel in Windows and choosing the power options and setting it to "high performance". This seemed to make a slight difference but again, who knows.

You can't even apply transparency supersampling in this game, it has a special bit. At least it doesn't work in DX9 mode. And yes, MSAA has been wonky in UE3 DX9 for years now. I wonder how it'll turn out on DX11...

This solution is not even a solution because it doesn't work with stability, however, I did not encounter any hitching once it was applied. I probably have to wait for the DX11 version and/or people smarter than myself to figure out if the hitching can be alleviated. It's not BAD, it's just annoying seeing a 5~ FPS drop when the rest of the game is so rock solid.

Sober

i'm so terrible at these flying AR missions. there were so easy at the beginning!
Playing with a controller or kb/m? I had to retry them but not as few retries as I was expecting (using a controller), though it should be just as easy since you use the mouse to control your pitch right? Most of them you just need to dive for long enough to pick up speed to go straight-ish past the last couple of checkpoints.

will it possible for modders to make custom costumes in this engine or is it pretty much impossible?

also, catwoman's animations are amazing.

these things are completely unrelated, btw.
There probably aren't any mod tools so any custom costumes would mostly likely be texture swaps of what already exists, seeing as each Batman costume is pretty much a different model from the RS one (the 1970s one is close though); same with Catwoman and the TAS and Long Halloween one - just completely different.

Playing with a controller or kb/m? I had to retry them but not as few retries as I was expecting (using a controller), though it should be just as easy since you use the mouse to control your pitch right? Most of them you just need to dive for long enough to pick up speed to go straight-ish past the last couple of checkpoints.

There probably aren't any mod tools so any custom costumes would mostly likely be texture swaps of what already exists, seeing as each Batman costume is pretty much a different model from the RS one (the 1970s one is close though); same with Catwoman and the TAS and Long Halloween one - just completely different.

There's mod tools, should be able to use UDK to edit anything depending on if it's encrypted or not.

It'd be nice if the game got modded with even cooler stuff, but I doubt it since Arkham Asylum didn't really get modded at all.

Jubbly

Fuck costume swaps, make Catwoman playable the entire game and I'll do very fucked up sexual favors.

bmgame2011-11-2504-38fhy4j.png

XOMTOR

Should fluctuate down to 53-55 FPS if you have everything possible maxed and then go right back up to 60 FPS once it's streamed in. If you're not using FRAPS and just eyeballing it, you're not seeing the problem fully.

True dat. I turned off Fraps and flew around for a bit and it's not really that bad; that big yellow counter in the top corner really makes it more noticeable. Anyway, it's too bad these UE3 games experience this. Never played an Unreal game on consoles, anyone know if they hitch like this?

You can't even apply transparency supersampling in this game, it has a special bit. At least it doesn't work in DX9 mode. And yes, MSAA has been wonky in UE3 DX9 for years now. I wonder how it'll turn out on DX11...

Yea, I gave up on transparency SSAA long ago. It either didn't work or it murdered framerates. Transparency MSAA doesn't seem to do much either in any game I've tried it on. Anyway, I've done a bit more testing and I think I've settled on 8x MSAA with the FXAA injector by SomeDude cleaning things up even further. I really hate aliasing.

This solution is not even a solution because it doesn't work with stability, however, I did not encounter any hitching once it was applied. I probably have to wait for the DX11 version and/or people smarter than myself to figure out if the hitching can be alleviated. It's not BAD, it's just annoying seeing a 5~ FPS drop when the rest of the game is so rock solid.

It may come down to tweaking variables in the INI's like poolsize and such but from what I remember of Arkham Asylum and Alice, nothing seemed to make a difference. Hopefully, Rocksteady is aware of all the various issues with the game and will come up with some fixes.

hlhbk

I have tried this and my FPS are still all over the place. They will be on 60 FPS, panned the camera around, and they flucuate. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

I am running in DX 9 mode, with everything on max except for physx and MSAA. Physx is off and MSAA is on 2x. I am running at 1920x1200 I have tried fxaa and no AA and I get the same performance. I have checked my GPU isn't even maxed out, so I don't get why my FPS are up and down. Anyone have any ideas?

Wow in the court room scene when I am looking down on the hugs from above I am getting 40 FPS. WTF!

Yeah, you're right. Just ran FRAPS and it dips down to about 53-55ish for a split second. Not noticable at all, nothing like the DX11 shit. Still crazy that they haven't fixed that with the Unreal Engine. That's pretty fucked up.

EDIT: Tried your settings above and it made a decent improvement. Lowest FPS I saw was 57. Only lasted a couple minutes (if that) before crashing of course.

inky

Well, this seems to be more of a performance thread, but I'l leave my impressions anyway.

So, finished the main story, but I still got loads to do; I liked it very much. Steam claims I've been playing for 20+ hrs but honestly it doesn't feel like I played that long. I think the game would've flowed better if you played all of the story first as Batman, then move on to Catwoman, but I like the little touches here and there like the
mid-game ending with credits and all when you leave Batman to die.
I still think they have more villains than they can handle but it all somehow works very well as no one overstays its welcome. Haven't even checked the challenges or considered new game+ but that was something I loved from B:AA and spent hours perfecting paths to clear them all. and the combat seems a little bit more robust this time around. I didn't feel like there were enough stealth options though, I would've liked more of that
The game is absolutely gorgeous and, performance issues aside, I'm really surprised with the quality of the game. Top notch everything.

True dat. I turned off Fraps and flew around for a bit and it's not really that bad; that big yellow counter in the top corner really makes it more noticeable. Anyway, it's too bad these UE3 games experience this. Never played an Unreal game on consoles, anyone know if they hitch like this?

Yea, I gave up on transparency SSAA long ago. It either didn't work or it murdered framerates. Transparency MSAA doesn't seem to do much either in any game I've tried it on. Anyway, I've done a bit more testing and I think I've settled on 8x MSAA with the FXAA injector by SomeDude cleaning things up even further. I really hate aliasing.

It may come down to tweaking variables in the INI's like poolsize and such but from what I remember of Arkham Asylum and Alice, nothing seemed to make a difference. Hopefully, Rocksteady is aware of all the various issues with the game and will come up with some fixes.

Yep. I used compatibility bits from Arkham Asylum and Transparency AA just does NOT work in this fucking game. The performance hit occurs, the visual benefit does not.

Nvidia themselves set it to a 'does not work' bit, but Arkham Asylum had working Transparency AA... so fucking weird. HOPEFULLY the DX11 version will allow TrAA.

Chairhome

Is anyone having a problem where the game will freeze for a few seconds then continue? I've been getting it kind of often. Sometimes it'll be one second, sometimes it'll be 3 or more seconds. Really annoying. Seems to only happen in the outdoor areas, and usually when I'm fighting. Are my settings too high? I wouldn't think so since it runs pretty smoothly outside of this.

Blizzard

Banned
Is anyone having a problem where the game will freeze for a few seconds then continue? I've been getting it kind of often. Sometimes it'll be one second, sometimes it'll be 3 or more seconds. Really annoying. Seems to only happen in the outdoor areas, and usually when I'm fighting. Are my settings too high? I wouldn't think so since it runs pretty smoothly outside of this.
I'm guessing it may be level streaming? Mirror's Edge did this to me in places.

i just encountered a crash on the steam version towards the last 30 minutes of the game.. the save no longer loads..
Are the save files individual where you can back them up, or is it some big profile file where you can't do that? I'm going to be paranoid now. :( Trying to 100% a game where your save file can become unusable and there aren't multiple save slots would be...frustrating.

I'm guessing it may be level streaming? Mirror's Edge did this to me in places.

Are the save files individual where you can back them up, or is it some big profile file where you can't do that? I'm going to be paranoid now. :( Trying to 100% a game where your save file can become unusable and there aren't multiple save slots would be...frustrating.

i believe its one big save file.. im going to try moving the folder out of STEAM and try redownloading from cloud

deleted

I just tried different settings with my i5 and 5770 and I found the best performance/graphic ratio for me was DX9 everything max with 4x MSAA.
FSAA - Medium had some better framerate but looked much worse, IMO.

So wit DX9, 4x MSAA, Vsync on and everything max I get an average framerate of 45 with max at 60 and min at 12.
That is acceptable. DX11 not working properly, isn't! Repair that now, Rocksteady!

EDIT: Ah, and before I forget... Thanks! I was looking for that English language option everywhere. You saved me!

np, found the solution on the steam forums. Remember that you have to change the .ini everytime you change an option. It resets the language setting every time.
I'll run it with MSAA for the time. Minimum went up from 27 to 33 and somehow I want to stay above 30 ;)

Yeah, you're right. Just ran FRAPS and it dips down to about 53-55ish for a split second. Not noticable at all, nothing like the DX11 shit. Still crazy that they haven't fixed that with the Unreal Engine. That's pretty fucked up.

EDIT: Tried your settings above and it made a decent improvement. Lowest FPS I saw was 57. Only lasted a couple minutes (if that) before crashing of course.

Have you tried the game with fraps of?

I'm thinking of getting the game on the PC guys (STEAM), what do you think? Is AC any good? I wont be using the DX11 feature since my PC aint much of a beast.

Blizzard

Banned
im trying everything.. the save is now corrupted, i cant load it anymore
Make sure you reboot as a last-chance option. :(

And well, thanks for being the guinea pig on saves. I guess I'll have to try to juggle backups of Steam cloud save files manually...and hope that if you overwrite it Steam won't overwrite your good save with the corrupted cloud copy? Has anyone seen that situation?

Eusis

I'm thinking of getting the game on the PC guys (STEAM), what do you think? Is AC any good? I wont be using the DX11 feature since my PC aint much of a beast.
Try the Arkham Asylum demo, and don't worry about DX11 since it's busted, most of the people with awesome gear for DX11 are staying with DX9 because of the performance hit and how hard it is to tell the difference in image quality.

Try the Arkham Asylum demo, and don't worry about DX11 since it's busted, most of the people with awesome gear for DX11 are staying with DX9 because of the performance hit and how hard it is to tell the difference in image quality.

Ok, thats a purchase then

Oh and i've played AA and I thought its really good, its just that I thought AC had other issues besides the DX11 fiasco, fortunately not.

MNC

I have crashes every minute. I can't even load the game. BatmanAC.exe has stopped working after each attempt to load the game.

I have crashes every minute. I can't even load the game. BatmanAC.exe has stopped working after each attempt to load the game.

same problem.. i was near the end, video came up then the game crashed... that crash corrupted my save and now i can't load it

im pretty sure a lot more will come to this thread with the same problems..

fuck rocksteady.. first the delays than the dx 11 problems and now corrupted saves

Didn't Arkham Asylum also had problem with saves? I remember having to start the game over, because the save was corrupted.

it's not worth playing over, people have experienced corrupt saves because of the crashes.. it can happen again at anytime if someone wants to replay it. i won't bother until those fuckers ar rocksteady patch it and i hope someone from the team is reading this

Corto

i7 870
8 GB
GTX570

I've experienced some stuttering also, but more noticeable when the game is saving in the background. What would be the best AA option for my PC? I choose 4XMSAA with everything max except PHYSX at medium.

edit: And it's a bit of a turn off having to edit an .ini file to change the language of the game every time I change the settings... Thought those kind of things were a thing of the past. I don't mind changing an .ini file to enable something a bit more esoteric but a language option is just crazy!

Just because I know people who are having problems are way more likely yo post, thought I would note that the ga,e runs smooth as butter for me.

I have two PCs:

1) i7 920 with 2 Radeons 6870s, SSD, 6GB RAM

2) AMD 3.1 GHZ Quad core, GTX 60, 4 GB RAM, standard hard drive only.

The second computer is a cheap tv Media PC I built for $499 this past summer. It runs the game awesome n DX 9 with everything maxed contant 60 FPS with physics on high at 720p.

Very impressed after playing for nearly 6 hours yesterday. Not a single hitch.

deleted

Just because I know people who are having problems are way more likely yo post, thought I would note that the ga,e runs smooth as butter for me.

I have two PCs:

1) i7 920 with 2 Radeons 6870s, SSD, 6GB RAM

2) AMD 3.1 GHZ Quad core, GTX 60, 4 GB RAM, standard hard drive only.

The second computer is a cheap tv Media PC I built for $499 this past summer. It runs the game awesome n DX 9 with everything maxed contant 60 FPS with physics on high at 720p.

Very impressed after playing for nearly 6 hours yesterday. Not a single hitch.

Is that GTX a 460 or a 560?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I stuffed around some more today, but I still can't enable PhysX without the game crashing. I'm going to re-download/install the content tonight and see if that helps at all, even though Steam believes there is nothing wrong with the files.

For the moment, though, it's running just fine at max settings (no DX11) with PhysX disabled. I did get one crash earlier, but that occurred when I clicked to sign into my GfWL account so I'm placing the blame squarely at its feet.

XOMTOR

i7 870
8 GB
GTX570

I've experienced some stuttering also, but more noticeable when the game is saving in the background. What would be the best AA option for my PC? I choose 4XMSAA with everything max except PHYSX at medium.

I'd say either FXAA on high or MSAA @ 4 or 8X. Higher MSAA settings rarely make any visible difference (just higher Vram use and potentially lower framerate) as there's still plenty of edges that aren't covered by multisampling AA, at least not for Unreal engine games. As I mentioned above, I've settled on 8x with the FXAA injector taking care of the stuff MSAA can't.

SoulClap

Got a corrupted game save and all I did was start a new game. The game kept crashing as soon I tried to login to GFWL. What a piece of shit.

Top Bottom