• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't play this. Trying to run the benchmark crashes the game, and the single player campaign crashes as soon as I press a button.

I've diagnosed the problem: it seems I can't enable PhysX without the game crashing. :/

amdnv

2011112300003.jpg
It's as if he's talking to a McDonald's clerk who served him badly.

sol_bad

Is anyone else having issues with their X360 controllers for this game? I start the game and I can press the guide button for GFWL but the controller won't work for the game.

Mohonky

Is anyone else having issues with their X360 controllers for this game? I start the game and I can press the guide button for GFWL but the controller won't work for the game.

Sorry can't report any problems here, game has worked flawlessly with wireless controller + wireless dongle here.

Lime

My wireless 360 controller works perfectly fine. It might something external of Arkham City, so check out your drivers for the dongle and controller.

I've diagnosed the problem: it seems I can't enable PhysX without the game crashing. :/

What card are you using? Maybe you should check out the physx*.dll files in the game directory or try to update the Physx drivers specifically.

Bumhead

Banned
Having some terrible sound issues with the cutscenes in this. The video ones, at least. The audio goes all out of sync and stutters on both the in game video's and the Nvidia video at start up.

Other than that, impressed with the game so far although the added sense of scale is quite overwhelming right now. Game is running well for me and looks great in DX9. Hoping the DX11 stuff get's patched up before I go for a second play through.

Jintor

Mr Freezes real name is Fries goddamit, Victor Fries, pronounced Victor freeze....he says im only here for fries which is correct, havent you guys noticed bats almost always calls his villains by their real names not aliases, unless he doesnt know their real names?

I feel like such a geek for knowing that and caring.

It's the exact thought that came to mind.

Dmax3901

So I finally got it downloaded, only to find it crashes on the main menu. I'm aware there's all kinds of problems but I would like to actually play the game in some shape.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lime

So I finally got it downloaded, only to find it crashes on the main menu. I'm aware there's all kinds of problems but I would like to actually play the game in some shape.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's probably GFWL. Try reinstalling GFWL by googling the latest version or something (or if the install file is included on the disk/download of AC).

XOMTOR

Having some terrible sound issues with the cutscenes in this. The video ones, at least. The audio goes all out of sync and stutters on both the in game video's and the Nvidia video at start up.

I think everyone is having the audio stuttering at the Nvidia logo. Kinda leaves a not so good impression when that's one of the first things you see upon launching the game.

Anyway, I finally got up the nerve to install this and surprisingly it all went well. Securom and G4WL didn't cause any issues; created my offline account for the latter and got on with it.

It runs fairly well under DX9 (60 fps, 1080p, all maxed, no PhysX w/ dual GTX-260's on an i5-750 @ 3.8Ghz) but there's still some slight hitching. It's not from lack of GPU resources, it seems like good 'ol UE3 load stuttering. For example, if you swing the camera quickly in a new area, or if you're flying and all of a sudden the engine needs to load additional assets. Seems to occur sometimes when opening doors also. GPU usage doesn't increase any but FPS may drop to 52-55 for a split second. I know that Unreal engine titles often do this but it's almost as if they didn't tweak the engine for this game to take advantage of the PC's additional resources and RAM availability. I know Boobphysics made mention a few posts back about the streaming, so hopefully he's on to something there.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not sure of the validity of this, but I sure do love a good videogame conspiracy theory. From the Steam forum:

I was doing some... analyzing of the game and managed to extract the build details.

Build name: QA_APPROVED_BUILD_JANUARY_2011
Compiled on: September 27th, 2011 at 18:18.21

The build of the game we have was compiled at the end of September. Probably the same time the console versions were. This gives almost a month worth of Gold which is normal.

And last QA approval was in January...

So... Since this build of the game was compiled on September 27th, almost a month before the console release, noone could possibly have worked to improve any graphics or implementing any PhysX from October 18th till November 15-18th (When it was spotted in stores).

It's exactly like I thought. All that, was implemented long ago, and the delay was just to gain more console sales.

Derrick01

Banned
I wouldn't even call it a conspiracy. As far as WB is concerned this is what actually happened until they can prove otherwise. It's clear they didn't even play the fucking thing since DX11 is broken and the game in DX9 doesn't run as great on some machines as it should be running.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh, also, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but if you want to skip those annoying intro videos and get right to the title screen: go to Steam > steamapps > common > batman2 > BMGame > Movies and rename these 2 files: Startup.swf and StartupNV.swf.

Sectus

I'm not sure of the validity of this, but I sure do love a good videogame conspiracy theory. From the Steam forum:
Just to add to the conspiracy, xbox 360 version was either compiled or it finished certification at 6th September. That's the date mentioned on the executable.

Console games are usually finished 1-2 months before release, that period is usually much much much smaller on PC, so the delay is definitely arbitrary. It looks like they could have done a simultaneous launch if they wanted to.

JaseC

Just to add to the conspiracy, xbox 360 version was either compiled or it finished certification at 6th September. That's the date mentioned on the executable.

Console games are usually finished 1-2 months before release, that period is usually much much much smaller on PC, so the delay is definitely arbitrary. It looks like they could have done a simultaneous launch if they wanted to.

Look 3 posts up from your own. This isn't an allegation without tangible evidence - the v1.00 PC build was compiled in September.

Not that I care. I just want PhysX to function.

JaseC

I got this gifted. It says the EU release is tomorrow. Is there no pre-load?

Nope, but there is an unlocked (and uncracked) Steam copy of the game floating around in the ether of the internet, so you could download that as a sort of de facto pre-load. Just extract the files to steamapps\common\batman2 and Steam should acknowledge the existing data when you install the game.

I used that trick through your web browser to pre-load the game. Look a few posts back, might work for you.

It's not showing up as pre-loaded in my library, but it's in my Steamapps folder as "batman2" so I hope it's going to work.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this... even though I used it myself. :p Throw steam://install/57400 into your browser.

I used that trick through your web browser to pre-load the game. Look a few posts back, might work for you.

It's not showing up as pre-loaded in my library, but it's in my Steamapps folder as "batman2" so I hope it's going to work.

Sectus

Look 3 posts up from your own. This isn't an allegation without tangible evidence - the v1.00 PC build was compiled in September.

Not that I care. I just want PhysX to function.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply it was incorrect. I just used the word conspiracy since morningbus used it too and it sounded funny.

Nope, but there is an unlocked (and uncracked) Steam copy of the game floating around in the ether of the internet, so you could download that as a sort of de facto pre-load. Just extract the files to steamapps\common\batman2 and Steam should acknowledge the existing data when you install the game.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this... even though I used it myself. :p Throw steam://install/57400 into your browser.
Cheers, I'll just wait I guess. It's only a few hours and I'm on a 30MB line. So it will DL in no time anyway.

Edit: Ah, as for your edit. Do I just copy that in to my steam broswer?

JaseC

Cheers, I'll just wait I guess. It's only a few hours and I'm on a 30MB line. So it will DL in no time anyway.

It carries no risk as you still can't play the game even when the data has downloaded.

Edit: Oh, you were referring to my first suggestion.

Edit: Ah, as for your edit. Do I just copy that in to my steam broswer?

That may work, but you can just put it in Firefox/IE/etc. or the Run box in the Windows start menu.

It carries no risk as you still can't play the game even when the data has downloaded.

Edit: Oh, you were referring to my first suggestion.

That may work, but you can just put it in Firefox/IE/etc.
Got it. I was trying in Chrome but it just gave me a google search on it. Worked in IE9. Cheers mate!

Yaska

Works. I got fed up with waiting so decided to use vpn to decrypt it earlier. Works straight outta box.

Derrick01

Banned
So yeah this game's pretty damn good and it's been taking me a while to advance. 29% done with the main story in about 10-11 hours and only 25% overall, but then in about 1 half hour sequence or so I jumped to 40% done with the story. Kinda sad about that, but it was a pretty fun section.

boss spoiler
Talking about the Ras al Ghul section and boss fight, really fun

Sober

So yeah this game's pretty damn good and it's been taking me a while to advance. 29% done with the main story in about 10-11 hours and only 25% overall, but then in about 1 half hour sequence or so I jumped to 40% done with the story. Kinda sad about that, but it was a pretty fun section.

boss spoiler
Talking about the Ras al Ghul section and boss fight, really fun
I 100%'ed the story in maybe 8 or 9 hours (my timer on Steam is off by maybe an hour or two) ... it's as long as maybe AA, but then again I pretty much skipped almost every sidequest but I'm doing them now, those are damn fun too and that's gotten me another 10 hours along with some of the challenges.

Wait til you get to the best boss fight though, you are almost there
obvious answer is Mr. Freeze, soooo fun

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Need a Catwoman game next, was actually a little disappointed when her first section was over.

Dipswitch

I'm 3% in on the story, but keep getting distracted by Riddler trophys and side missions. Just unlocked the grapnel boost gun and having a blast with that.

Lime

Random screenshot comparison time! I've got nothing better to do since European release is still some hours away, grr! I dunno where I got the PC screenshot from, but I think it was this forum.

http://h10.abload.de/img/batdx9e9pgu.jpg - PC
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/batman/Untitled11-floor.jpg - 360

Not the same area, but it's definitely the same texture and it looks much much sharper on PC.

If you don't want to wait you can just use a free vpn and decrypt the game, provided you've preloaded it through the browser command.

Anyway, those screenshots makes me glad I'm playing the PC version. Some of the textures are really nice.

Sectus

If you don't want to wait you can just use a free vpn and decrypt the game, provided you've preloaded it through the browser command.

Anyway, those screenshots makes me glad I'm playing the PC version. Some of the textures are really nice.
It's only 6 hours to wait. Some of the VPN stuff sounds like a hassle and I dunno how it'd affect the cloud saves, so I might as well wait.

Bumhead

Banned
Need a Catwoman game next, was actually a little disappointed when her first section was over.

Wondered if it was just me. I'm REALLY enjoying the Catwoman bit. It's a really nice side dish to the main Batman game.

Also, the PC version is really, really nice looking in parts. I only recently went through Arkham Asylum again (which was a visual step up from the 360 version I originally played on release), but Arkham City is another step up again from that. I'm an absolute sucker for perching on the highest points possible around the City and just taking it all in..

dream

sigh, my Steam version still tries to install DirectX every time I launch it...even after I cancel the install attempt. Any ideas?

ArjanN

I really think a Green Arrow game could work from Rocksteady, he or Wonder Woman.

I'm sure they could make a good game with nearly every superhero, but let's face it: no-one cares about those characters. Batman is just a more interesting character with a much bigger fanbase.

Top Bottom