• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Oreoleo

Anyone here playing Arkham City PC on a 5770? What settings are you running on?

Using a 5770 here, playing at 1080p with FXAA set to medium, everything else is maxed except ambient occlusion which I have turned off. Outdoor areas typically are in the 30-35 FPSs range with dips into the mid-high 20's if you pan around a lot, indoor areas fare much better though. Maybe not 60fps but close enough- tbh I didn't check a ton on indoors cause I was mainly worried about outdoor FPSs. Once I got it to an acceptable level I turned the fraps overlay off.

Lime

I only changed it in the bmengine file in my documents as well as in the steam folder...Am I doing it wrong? I have no experience editing ini files but would love get zoomed out some. Do I paste what you have in both files you mentioned? Am I supposed to be replacing something with this code or just adding it?

Just add it.

Jtrizzy

Thanks for the help man, I like 105 the best. 125 gives the world a weird fishbowl look at certain angles.

Any other cool stuff like this?

taoofjord

Argh, I want to play but I'm not sure if I should wait for the dx 11 patch or not. Anyone know what Directx 11 adds to Arkham City?

I am loving the game, and it runs great in DX9 - excited to see it in 11 as well. I'll admit I was kind of concerned about the open-world setup when I first started, as the game seemed to be strictly directing me in a certain way, but it seems to open up after a few main missions. I'm hoping maybe more so...

The city itself is so awesome visually, I love it to death.

goodfella

First playthrough in DX9, NewGame+ in DX11.

I'm sad to see that the breakable cloth physX have gone from AA. I loved throwing baterangs at the banners. Unless that is enabled in high PhysX?

I wish I could just play as Catwoman the entire game, I'm enjoying roaming around as her much more than Batman.

Anyone know where the inis are located so I can do a HUD removal for screenshots, I also need to enabled tiled shots somehow.

Jtrizzy

If anyone wants higher resolution shadows, try this as well. Edit both bmengine.ini and userengine.ini by changing this line:

Code:
MaxShadowResolution=2048 ;(default is 512)

I got higher resolution shadows (especially Batman's self-projected shadow) using this tweak. Looks much sharper. I should take a pic.

Make sure to set BMEngine.ini to Read Only, the game has a nasty habit of resetting your changes.

Dumb question I'm sure, but do I need to include ;(default is 512)
or do I just change the number to 2048?

I wish I could just play as Catwoman the entire game, I'm enjoying roaming around as her much more than Batman.

Anyone know where the inis are located so I can do a HUD removal for screenshots, I also need to enabled tiled shots somehow.
The info for hud toggle and fov toggle is on the last page.

Yeah, Catwoman feels awesome to play as. Her animations, the fluidity and speed of her movements... going back to Batman was weird. He feels sturdier, but much slower. Catwoman feels like playing Soul Calibur to Batman's Virtua Fighter.

This might sound nuts, but I'd actually totally dig a whole Catwoman Rocksteady game, especiailly if it were an open-world heist-oriented game where you have to sneak into as many places as possible and snag loot from some of Batman's greatest villains.

Dumb question I'm sure, but do I need to include ;(default is 512)
or do I just change the number to 2048?

The info for hud toggle and fov toggle is on the last page.

No sir, I put that in to explain that default shadow res max = 512. Just paste it in without it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Just grabbed this through OnLive for $1. I don't like OnLive all that much, but I'm going to have only my laptop for the whole thanksgiving weekend since I'll be away from home, and I couldn't resist.

Jtrizzy

Yeah, Catwoman feels awesome to play as. Her animations, the fluidity and speed of her movements... going back to Batman was weird. He feels sturdier, but much slower. Catwoman feels like playing Soul Calibur to Batman's Virtua Fighter.

This might sound nuts, but I'd actually totally dig a whole Catwoman Rocksteady game, especiailly if it were an open-world heist-oriented game where you have to sneak into as many places as possible and snag loot from some of Batman's greatest villains.

No sir, I put that in to explain that default shadow res max = 512. Just paste it in without it.

And for the physx changes you posted, they looked to be for SLI setups or if you are using a dedicated card for physx. I'm running this on a single 580 with physx on normal.

Agreed that the catwoman stuff is great. I like everything about this game though, it still looks really good and performs well even without the DX11. I love riding the chopper around and just ogling the world and how crisp it looks, draw distances etc.

I would buy it, I'm in awe at some of the animation blending in this game. I was fighting 2 thugs as Catwoman against a stone bridge, doing the B+A->xxxxxxx fury combo, in the middle of it, I counter the other guy, she does a windmill on the side of the bridge, counters the guy and goes back and finishes the combo on the other guy in one fluid motion......fucking awesome.

jackdoe

Yup she's infinitely more fun to play as than Batman. I don't know if I want a full game with her but if they do substantial DLC campaigns I hope one focuses on her.
Catwoman is great fun to play as. Nightwing is as well and he is a blast in combat (though I wish they gave him his Batman costume). Didn't get the Robin pack yet, but I bet he's a blast to play as well.

I forgot to say how much I LOVE playing as Catwoman, wow. I didn't expect that, I wasn't really following information pre-release so I had no clue she was playable.

A new game with her, or more sections with her please. Though, I don't like her design...

Also is Robin playable?

And for the physx changes you posted, they looked to be for SLI setups or if you are using a dedicated card for physx. I'm running this on a single 580 with physx on normal.

Agreed that the catwoman stuff is great. I like everything about this game though, it still looks really good and performs well even without the DX11. I love riding the chopper around and just ogling the world and how crisp it looks, draw distances etc.

Run it on High, sir. I'm running PhysX on high, 32x CSAA, shadows set to 2048, 16x AF, 1920x1080, max details on DX9...

60 FPS constant, with only drops to 45-50 FPS AT WORST in PhysX sections, even though it's just running off my GTX 570 OC'd. Very, very nice.

Iv'e gotta say this game is pulling me 100% away from Skyrim :/ - god damn do I love it folks.

Too many games these past few weeks, and with ACR PC coming next week, where do I begin here folks?

Jtrizzy

Run it on High, sir. I'm running PhysX on high, 32x CSAA, shadows set to 2048, 16x AF, 1920x1080, max details on DX9...

60 FPS constant, with only drops to 45-50 FPS AT WORST in PhysX sections, even though it's just running off my GTX 570 OC'd. Very, very nice.

OK I'll try it...I was just in the room inside the Gotham PD with all the fog and it was down to the low 50's on normal. Wonder why they say you need a seperate card 460 or above to do physx on high? Do I need to do anything to the ini files or was that just for SLI setups and dedicated cards?

Derrick01

Banned
How I buy DLC for this? Via steam store? I want me some Nightwing.

I couldn't find it on the steam store but I found it by clicking on the game in my xbox profile.

Can't believe both packs are $7 each though. Isn't just a new character and a moveset? ridiculous.

OK I'll try it...I was just in the room inside the Gotham PD with all the fog and it was down to the low 50's on normal. Wonder why they say you need a seperate card 460 or above to do physx on high? Do I need to do anything to the ini files or was that just for SLI setups and dedicated cards?

I mostly made those tweaks for PhysX dedicated cards, but you're welcome to try them if you have 1.5GB or more VRAM.

Chairhome

I couldn't find it on the steam store but I found it by clicking on the game in my xbox profile.

Can't believe both packs are $7 each though. Isn't just a new character and a moveset? ridiculous.
He's not playable in the story. Just has a bunch of challenge maps

jackdoe

Haha. With free MS points it becomes less ridiculous. Thank you T-Mobile.

mr stroke

I guess this turned into the PC Batman OT?

Fuck this game is good. About a quarter way through and I think it may be better than the 1st.

Iztli

This made me laugh lol

2011112300003.jpg

In game he was taking about Mr freeze but then I read the subtitle... lool

Dmax3901

BoobPhysics strikes again, I love you man. I'll be sure to try out all that stuff when AC finishes downloading at a blistering average of 200kb/s.

inky

That's a cutscene. Not in-game. He's pointing out how Batman says he's here for "Freeze," but they spelled it "Fries."

It has always been spelled like that, although I guess it does look funny out of context. Yes, that is a cutscene, but the actual game is not that far behind.

BoobPhysics strikes again, I love you man. I'll be sure to try out all that stuff when AC finishes downloading at a blistering average of 200kb/s.

You'll be very pleased. Maybe now that someone loves me I can become GAF Gold! lol

On another note, I just tried to disable the background level streaming and force the game to load in RAM only... It works! EXCEPT as soon as it hits 2 GB RAM usage, the game encounters an error and kills itself.

Why?

Two possible explanations:
1. Not Large Address Aware (I checked with LAA enabler, game exe seems to have LAA flag on)
2. The fucking exe is 32-bit instead of 64-bit and the game just doesn't like using so much RAM (more likely explanation)

Could it be fixed with 64-bit exe? Maybe. Or perhaps there's an error in the engine where too much RAM usage causes the game to shit itself. I even tried forcing faster garbage collection etc... no go.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This made me laugh lol

2011112300003.jpg

In game he was taking about Mr freeze but then I read the subtitle... lool

It happens again later. So damn weird, fries? wat

Mr Freezes real name is Fries goddamit, Victor Fries, pronounced Victor freeze....he says im only here for fries which is correct, havent you guys noticed bats almost always calls his villains by their real names not aliases, unless he doesnt know their real names?

I feel like such a geek for knowing that and caring.

scitek

It has always been spelled like that, although I guess it does look funny out of context. Yes, that is a cutscene, but the actual game is not that far behind.

I didn't know Freeze's name was spelled that way! Keep that realism out of my comic book video games.

I agree that we're spoiled by graphics today, though.

Lime

That's a cutscene. Not in-game. He's pointing out how Batman says he's here for "Freeze," but they spelled it "Fries."

Ehm, the in-game cutscenes uses the in-game models?

batmanac_2011_11_23_1qwd2z.png

batmanac_2011_11_24_088fyb.png

If you're talking about the pre-rendered BINK ones, then I would even argue that in-game cutscenes have much better IQ than the BINK ones. This is how the BINK look like:

batmanac2011-11-2221-8sdn7.png

scitek

If you're talking about the pre-rendered BINK ones, then I would even argue that in-game cutscenes have much better IQ than the BINK ones. This is how the BINK look like:

http://www.abload.de/img/batmanac2011-11-2221-8sdn7.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a pre-rendered cutscene's what I meant.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't play this. Trying to run the benchmark crashes the game, and the single player campaign crashes as soon as I press a button.

Top Bottom