• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

burgerdog

This is odd, I did a 78 hit combo earlier and I didn't receive the 50hit achievement like the 360 version. So I took a look at the list of achievements and it only has 50, 10 less than the consoles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You realise NVIDIA would have bought the codes from Warner in the first place, right?

Yes, but I sincerely doubt WB also receives a cut of each nvidia 5xx GPU sold to consumers. And they most certainly get nothing if somebody buys a second-hand code.

Jintor

Whoever posted the Steam link that forces Steam to download the preload for Arkham City, thanks greatly. Not only does it preload the game, but apparently Steam doesn't actually check what region you are in to play it, so it just lets you in instead. That or it was released today on PC so they have to let you play, I'm not really sure.

Sectus

well my frustration is hardly just because of that one part in the game. its that in combination with the fact that the game was hyped for its Physx effects and its DX11 features, etc ...which are totally broken. so ya, i'm kinda pissed off about it all, especially after having to wait an extra 5 weeks and no pre load, etc.

so i'm currently running DX9, 1080p, vsync'd, everything maxed ...FXAA (high) or 4xMSAA don't seem to matter performance wise in my situation. performance is the same from what i can see with those anti aliasing settings.

running i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 GTX560 1gig cards (1 dedicated to Physx) ...SLI doesn't seem to matter much, if at all at this point.

game seemed to be running fine until i got to that part with Catwoman ...then it took a nice nosedive. pretty disappointing to see that in DX9 with a dedicated physx card.

i remember nvidia showing a video of 1 gtx560 (ti version i think) running the game with physx enabled vs a 8800GT with it not enabled. the 560 was running perfectly fine.

i would think that i should have this shit covered with 2 cards ...its just super annoying after the long wait, the no pre load, the fucked up DX11 ...and now the final slap in the kisser is that i probably wont be able to enjoy PhysX to its fullest even in DX9 with 2 cards.
I was playing through Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago for the first time with physx and it was rather similar. Most of the time the game would be 60fps, but whenever heavy physx effects kicked in, the framerate could go as low as 20. I'm guessing physx is just sloppily implemented in both games. I don't think it added much in Asylum anyway so maybe I'll just turn it off completely in City.

Lime

The physx in my experience is fine - usually at around 30-45 fps on the highest setting. And that's with an unlocked 6950 + dedicated 9800GTX+.

I didn't have a single problem with the Twoface beginning
and Catwoman
scene. Everything ran smooth as butter. Not no Parkay, not no margarine, Strickly butter.

deleted

Argh, preloaded it, but there is still no "play" button in my library.
Store says its "now available" but that doesn't help.
Do the UK and the rest of Europe have different release dates?

JaseC

Argh, preloaded it, but there is still no "play" button in my library.
Store says its "now available" but that doesn't help.
Do the UK and the rest of Europe have different release dates?

25th for UK; 23rd for the rest of Europe.

Edit: Whoops, I got confused. Nevermind. I thought the delay pushed back the unlock date by a week, for some reason. Oh, it did. How nice of WB to unlock the Steam version two days early!

deleted

Did you restart Steam?

Yep, I don't remember how the library entry should look like with a pre-purchase though. Right now, there is no button at all, neither install, nor play.
I got the game from a Nvidia code and not through the store thought, perhaps it has something to do with that?

25th for UK; 23rd for the rest of Europe.

Edit: Whoops, I got confused. Nevermind. I thought the delay pushed back the unlock date by a week, for some reason. Oh, it did. How nice of WB to unlock the Steam version two days early!

Hm, I'm from germany, so it should have been unlocked by now. I'm not in a hurry though, doesn't matter, if I have to wait two extra days.
After that I'll contact the consumer service...

JaseC

Yep, I don't remember how the library entry should look like with a pre-purchase though. Right now, there is no button at all, neither install, nor play.
I got the game from a Nvidia code and not through the store thought, perhaps it has something to do with that?

I don't think so. I've an nvidia code and having accessed Steam via a US VPN yesterday, the option to play the game is still there. Not that I can just yet, as it's still downloading.

Edit: The unlock date for Australia is now also the 23rd... but the game is no longer available to purchase. What are you doing, WB?

deleted

I don't think so. I've an nvidia code and having accessed Steam via a US VPN yesterday, the option to play the game is still there. Not that I can just yet, as it's still downloading.

Edit: The unlock date for Australia is now also the 23rd... but the game is no longer available to purchase. What are you doing, WB?

Yes, but how did it look, before you got the "play" button? Was there anything at all?

Sectus

I'm confused. Getgamesgo is also showing the game as available right now. It shows as available on steam... but I can't do anything with my copy. It's still greyed out for me. When I click "play now" on the steam page, nothing happens.

amdnv

I was playing through Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago for the first time with physx and it was rather similar. Most of the time the game would be 60fps, but whenever heavy physx effects kicked in, the framerate could go as low as 20.
?? What GPU do you have? A drop from 60 to 20 is just about impossible. Which scenes supposedly went to 20?

deleted

I'm confused. Getgamesgo is also showing the game as available right now. It shows as available on steam... but I can't do anything with my copy. It's still greyed out for me. When I click "play now" on the steam page, nothing happens.

I have the same problem. Did you preload it?
Looks like we have to wait for a while.

Sectus

I have the same problem. Did you preload it?
Looks like we have to wait for a while.
Yeah, I pre-loaded it.

?? What GPU do you have? A drop from 60 to 20 is just about impossible. Which scenes supposedly went to 20?
It varied greatly. Basically any scene with heavy physx (smoke, or a ton of papers flying around) would drop the framerate by 10-20. The times which absolutely murdered the framerate were the scarecrow sequences. Half the time I couldn't even see the physics objects killing my framerate unless I turned around or looked very closely in the background. I used a single gtx 560 for the game.

I wish they'd implement it in a more subtle way. I wouldn't mind a few minor effects here and there (like the spider webs in vents, or some stray paper here and there), but I really didn't like the super overkill effects (like just about anything in the scarecrow sequences).

I guess I wouldn't have gotten the framedrops if I had a dedicated card for physx stuff, but well, screw that! I'm not getting an extra graphics card for extra physics in a few games.

UK Store page says 23rd now. I have the play now button (store page) there which does nothing. Theres also nothing at all on my library page. Mannn i wanna see how shit it runs on my comp too.

Yeah, I pre-loaded it.

It varied greatly. Basically any scene with heavy physx (smoke, or a ton of papers flying around) would drop the framerate by 10-20. The times which absolutely murdered the framerate were the scarecrow sequences. Half the time I couldn't even see the physics objects killing my framerate unless I turned around or looked very closely in the background. I used a single gtx 560 for the game.

I wish they'd implement it in a more subtle way. I wouldn't mind a few minor effects here and there (like the spider webs in vents, or some stray paper here and there), but I really didn't like the super overkill effects (like just about anything in the scarecrow sequences).

I guess I wouldn't have gotten the framedrops if I had a dedicated card for physx stuff, but well, screw that! I'm not getting an extra graphics card for extra physics in a few games.

i have a spare Nvidia card from my last upgrade. in DX9 with physx on medium or high this benches slower than Arkham Asylum benched on similar settings. i averaged near 60 in the benchmark. i don't hit 60 as a high this time. not sure what that's about.

still they have until I beat Zelda to fix this. if they haven't fixed it by then, they'll have until after I've beaten Serious Sam 3.

JaseC

Yes, but how did it look, before you got the "play" button? Was there anything at all?

Once I signed in with the VPN it appeared; prior to that there was nothing as it wasn't due to be unlocked in Australia. When I closed and re-opened Steam earlier today - long since disconnected from the VPN - the option was still there, due to what I now know to be WB silently moving up the Aussie unlock date to the 23rd (today).

Needless to say, you should have the option to at least install the game. Try closing Steam, deleting ClientRegistry.blob, and opening Steam again.

Edit: Serious Sam 3 unlocked a little late, so perhaps Valve are just slow on the mark with Arkham City?

Got the chance to play AC for about a half an hour last night.

Going to have to turn PhysX to low or off since I don't have a second graphics card to commit to it (running with a 560ti, game runs like silk until a PhysX interaction, breaking a chair or a box drops the fps to <10).

Also, is there a reason it takes like 8 years to load the damn game from when I double click the icon to when it starts? Retail purchase here.

jediyoshi

And they most certainly get nothing if somebody buys a second-hand code.
Those keys still only exist because nvidia acquired them from wb at some point. They both know exactly how many of those keys are out there. The missing piece of info is whether they were discounted for being bought in bulk, was a benefit of their comarketing, etc.

Catwoman combat is fun as hell

Completely agreed. I feel bad for liking her combat so much, I tell myself, this is suppose to be a Batman game, I'm suppose to like his combat the most.

Anyways, ran on DX9 all max settings, runs smooth as anything, DX11 is obviously bugged. Other than that, its been a pretty good experience so far, except for GFWL.

ATI 5850
Q6600 @ 3.6
4GB

As I said, all max on DX9, 60fps pretty much everywhere.

SlickVic

Well, fortunately the game runs quite well for me in DX9 (although with my graphics card apparently that's my only option anyways). Feels about the same performance-wise as AA which seems fairly impressive to me since my hardware hasn't gotten any better, and this game's open world seems a bit more demanding than what was in AA.

A couple of nagging issues for me: loading up the game seems to take a solid 3 minutes or so (don't know if this is faster on Steam) which is a tad annoying. Also, I'm playing with a gamepad, but it seems whenever I enter a menu it automatically places a mouse cursor in the center of the screen. Obviously not game breaking, but would be nice not to see that when a gamepad is plugged in.

Lime

Funny thing, isn't DX11 supposed to be more effective in performance than DX9? I remember Shogun 2 performing much better in DX11 than DX9, despite the former having all the bells and whistles.

i got the game from GMG but it says to contact the admin because there is something wrong with my zip file when i try to install. fuck honestly never trying GMG again.

JaseC

Those keys still only exist because nvidia acquired them from wb at some point. They both know exactly how many of those keys are out there. The missing piece of info is whether they were discounted for being bought in bulk, was a benefit of their comarketing, etc.

Clearly, but my point is that WB don't see a cent from somebody who opts to purchase a second-hand code instead of a retail/DD copy of the game. In other words, I'm neither denying nor ignorant to the fact that the keys have already been acquired by nvidia - what I'm saying is that WB see nothing from people who've used those codes as it renders them uninterested in priced copies intended for consumer consumption.

(Edited since I initially misread your post.)

Chairhome

Just want to remind everyone to talk to Calendar Man tomorrow. You apparently get an achievement for talking to him on certain holidays, I guess its the ones that are marked on the calendar next to his cell.

JaseC

Just want to remind everyone to talk to Calendar Man tomorrow. You apparently get an achievement for talking to him on certain holidays, I guess its the ones that are marked on the calendar next to his cell.

Rocksteady should have kept this under wraps. It would've been fantastic for the community to eventually discover it, let alone yourself.

I really regret pre-ordering this from GMG, despite the low price. Today was a holiday and I could have been playing all day if I just got this on Steam. Le sigh.

Derrick01

Banned
Rocksteady should have kept this under wraps. It would've been fantastic for the community to eventually discover it, let alone yourself.

I think they did. I'm not sure but I'm saying that because I didn't really know about it and I found it within an hour of playing yesterday. There's a giant calendar with the dates marked right next to him, not to mention he was blabbering about thanksgiving.

Catwoman combat is fun as hell

It really is. I'm so glad that with all the stutter problems I've been having that it hasn't happened during combat because it's a lot more enjoyable than AA. I like how it recognizes the little things too. For example one part where I was her, I climbed up to a rooftop to fight a group of enemies and when I was against the railing one of the moves she did was jump on the railing and launch herself into an enemy. Something that small completely blew me away.

Chairhome

I think they did. I'm not sure but I'm saying that because I didn't really know about it and I found it within an hour of playing yesterday. There's a giant calendar with the dates marked right next to him, not to mention he was blabbering about thanksgiving.

Yeah, hope I didn't spoil it for anyone. I actually found out just before Halloween when Joystiq mentioned it in an article.

Hmm, I'll be out of town. Does the game check a server-side calendar or does it just go by my windows calendar?

JaseC

I seem to recall it being mentioned in a preview at some point, but I'm probably wrong.

Edit: Oh, a little more subtlety on the part of Calendar Man's actions and setting would've been nice.

SlickVic

i got the game from GMG but it says to contact the admin because there is something wrong with my zip file when i try to install. fuck honestly never trying GMG again.

Got this error as well. Turns out I didn't have enough free space on my HD initially. You need a good 50GB or so free on your hard drive for the download and install. Rather ridiculous, but once I cleared the space, it installed fine.

masterkajo

Steam says the game has been released in my region but I don't get a "Play" button at all. Also never had an "Install" button either because I used the link a couple pages back to install it yesterday.

I tried restarting Steam and deleting the ClientRegistry.blob but still nothing. On the storepage it says I already own the game but clicking the "Play Now" button does nothing. :(

Waaghals

Steam says the game has been released in my region but I don't get a "Play" button at all. Also never had an "Install" button either because I used the link a couple pages back to install it yesterday.

I tried restarting Steam and deleting the ClientRegistry.blob but still nothing. On the storepage it says I already own the game but clicking the "Play Now" button does nothing. :(

Same here, and I didn't force a preload.

Oni Jazar

Yeah I'm never going to get a GMG game that's not a steam key. This capsule is a huge pain.

I hope Rocksteady fixes not only DX11 but PhysX. Batman:AA played great 99% of the time in PhysX (except for some late scarecrow scenes which I'm sure were broken in some way).

Got this error as well. Turns out I didn't have enough free space on my HD initially. You need a good 50GB or so free on your hard drive for the download and install. Rather ridiculous, but once I cleared the space, it installed fine.

what%20the%20fuck%20is%20this%20shit%208.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You can use a VPN to unlock the game files and then run the launcher from the Batman2/Binaries folder, if you want to get in early. You still get signed into Steam if you run the Launcher directly, so you still get your achievements if you care about that sort of thing.

REV 09

It really is. I'm so glad that with all the stutter problems I've been having that it hasn't happened during combat because it's a lot more enjoyable than AA. I like how it recognizes the little things too. For example one part where I was her, I climbed up to a rooftop to fight a group of enemies and when I was against the railing one of the moves she did was jump on the railing and launch herself into an enemy. Something that small completely blew me away.

Catwoman is stealing the show for me at this point. Batman parts feel very familiar, but i'm amazed at how high the quality is for Cat. Again, it's the little things. The way she sneaks is both convincing as a feline and sexy as hell...both tones that catwoman should strike. I was also impressed by her traversal abilities considering that she doesn't have a cape.

Sectus

I loved the first game on pc and it ran great on my gtx 260, will have to think about getting this for consoles now.
Considering it's using the same engine and console hardware hasn't changed, I'll be very surprised if the game runs worse on your gtx 260 than on xbox or PS3.

Most of the performance complaints are about physx or dx11, two things you can easily turn off.

Top Bottom