• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City Review Thread

Curufinwe

Interfectum said:
I'm shocked this game is getting 9/10s. I'll be shocked again when MW3, BF3, UC3 and Skyrim also receive 9/10s.

I think MW3 might get a few more 8s the same way Black Ops did.

Might also get a 5 from Tom Chick if he reviews it.

BFIB

I still have a few challenge rooms from AA to beat.

Think I'll do that this weekend to get my skills back in check for Arkham City.

Just like the characters, this looks like a game on steroids! Can't wait!

Maxim726X

Take this as you will, since I never played the first one... But I thought that the GT review was basically spoiler-free.

There was a lot of punching and swinging.

sajj316

I am stoked about this game! I can't wait. Still haven't done challenge rooms in the first game and some of those combo trophies are insane. Love it though .. can't wait!

Bumhead

Banned
A 9/10 from EDGE is the big one for me. That's easily worth as much as some of these 10's from other sites and mags.

Can't really argue with these review scores, a pretty brilliant return to be honest. Rocksteady have a 100% record of making fantastic games.

Pazuzu9 said:
Is the new Edge mag on shelves already? The digital version isn't available on Newsstand or Zinio, so I'm guessing not... is it common for Edge to put reviews online before the magazine comes out?

Yes.

The hype... it's... too much

I already told one of my professors that I have a "doctor's appointment" on Tuesday so I can't make it to class. I'm going to be spending this entire weekend doing as much upcoming homework as possible, because once the 18th hits saving Arkham City will be my ONLY priority

Sandman42 said:
The problem with Batman is it's almost too good.

Still makes me laugh =p

Dem reviews!

If there really isn't anything going into the PC version other than the visual upgrade (DLC is still in the air?), then I might just have to say fook it and spring for PS3

Randomizer

I hate that they delayed the PC version, now I probably won't be playing this until next year :(. There are just too many games in November, sometimes I really hate game publishers.

With this, Dark Souls and everything else that's still to come this year is really shaping up to be one of the best ever for gaming.

Giant Bomb said:
Gaming's greatest melee combat system gets even better with a few key improvements

Seriously Jeff? Far from it I'm afraid. Even though I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum's combat mechanics, they're definitely not up to the standards DMC, NG, Bayo, Demon/DarkSouls or even GoW. Unless they did a massive overhaul I really doubt that this will be even close to being considered one the best either. From what I've already seen it looks very similar but I'm sure they'll have refined it and included some new features, it might manage to eclipse God of War at least :p.

DaBuddaDa

Randomizer said:
Seriously Jeff? Far from it I'm afraid. Even though I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum's combat mechanics, they're definitely not up to the standards DMC, NG, Bayo, Demon/DarkSouls or even GoW. Unless they did a massive overhaul I really doubt that this will be even close to being considered one the best either. From what I've already seen it looks very similar but I'm sure they'll have refined it and included some new features, it might manage to eclipse God of War at least :p.
I thought the exact same thing; the technical definition of melee is "a close-quarters combat situation," it doesn't exclude the usage of weapons. But I think he used "melee" to mean specifically fist fighting. Even then I disagree with him, but it makes more sense.

Randomizer

DaBuddaDa said:
I thought the exact same thing; the technical definition of melee is "a close-quarters combat situation," it doesn't exclude the usage of weapons. But I think he meant "melee" to mean specifically fist fighting. Even then I disagree with him, but it makes more sense.
I guess that makes more sense but I also still disagree as I personally think God Hand has it beat in that regard.

Korosenai

Like the IGN review said, too many villains, too little time.... That was my main worry for this game. Hopefully it was just him being a little too picky, but who knows.

With that said, i'm still getting this game, and i'm still going to love every second of it, and i'm still going to try to 100%.

DaBuddaDa said:
I thought the exact same thing; the technical definition of melee is "a close-quarters combat situation," it doesn't exclude the usage of weapons. But I think he used "melee" to mean specifically fist fighting. Even then I disagree with him, but it makes more sense.
I don't know enough about melee fighting games but I think it's damn good.
On the surface it's very simple but when you play on Hard+, it forces you to learn the complexity of the system.

I think it's fabulous.

DaBuddaDa

Gully State said:
What did he give it?
A measly 8.5/10, mostly because he doesn't think the combat system is all that great. It's actually one of his least troll-y reviews and is free of hyperbole.

Vire

DaBuddaDa said:
A measly 8.5/10, mostly because he doesn't think the combat system is all that great. It's actually one of his least troll-y reviews and is free of hyperbole.
Jim Sterling is a troll and I wouldn't of included his review in the OP even if he gave it a 10.

That site doesn't deserve the hits.

diffusionx

Gold Member
DaBuddaDa said:
A measly 8.5/10, mostly because he doesn't think the combat system is all that great.

... which seems to me to be an eminently reasonable complaint. I didn't think Asylum's combat system was very good and hurt the game overall.

Curufinwe

Randomizer said:

Jeff doesn't really play those games. I mean, he apparently played and liked Bayonetta, but he never really got into what makes it great. I think if you said "Dodge Offset" to Jeff all you'd get was a blank stare.

Strange industry we're in that an 8.5 out of 10 could be considered intentionally dismissing a game to such a degree that it must be for kicks and giggles.* Reminds me of the Twilight Princess 'controversy' at Gamespot.

*Jim Sterling is awful, this is not a defense of him.

x-Lundz-x said:
HOLY SHIT at the reviews.

Wow has any other game been rated so high this year? Maybe Portal 2?

Yeah Portal 2 is currently he highest rated game of the year, I think no game will beat it this year except maybe Uncharted 3.

Bazhard

Banned
Vire said:
Jim Sterling is a troll and I wouldn't of included his review in the OP even if he gave it a 10.

That site doesn't deserve the hits.
But IGN should be put on it? sometimes i think this entire forum is just a joke and full of trolls.

Relax.MX said:
Waiting for PC version...

Yes sir. I finished the first one earlier this year. I really had no doubt that the team would be able to improve that system.

Poor, poor Skyrim. I'll play it, but it will be easier to wait for a Steam sale. I'm paying $60 for the Batman.

x-Lundz-x

LiquidMetal14 said:
Probably..................until Uncharted 3.

Lifejumper said:
Yeah Portal 2 is currently he highest rating game of the year, I think no game will beat it this year except maybe Uncharted 3.

Yeah, Uncharted 3 is going to be my personal GOTY I can just feel it. But I cannot wait for Tuesday. Rocksteady knows their shit.

Conciliator said:
Strange industry we're in that an 8.5 out of 10 could be considered intentionally dismissing a game to such a degree that it must be for kicks and giggles.* Reminds me of the Twilight Princess 'controversy' at Gamespot.

*Jim Sterling is awful, this is not a defense of him.

Not so much the score, but rather the author really. Like someone previously said, he could've given the game a 10, and it still wouldn't be taken seriously..

Derrick01

Banned
Mango Positive said:
Yes sir. I finished the first one earlier this year. I really had no doubt that the team would be able to improve that system.

Poor, poor Skyrim. I'll play it, but it will be easier to wait for a Steam sale. I'm paying $60 for the Batman.

Where's the extra $10 going? Everywhere it's on sale for it's been $50. I'm a little worried it hasn't gone up on Steam yet though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
x-Lundz-x said:
Yeah, Uncharted 3 is going to be my personal GOTY I can just feel it. But I cannot wait for Tuesday. Rocksteady knows their shit.
Yea, I'm giddy for the PC release fml

Top Bottom