• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City Screenshots [Teaser Post 535]

4947855611_ece59b2be8_b.jpg

"In the playground is where I spent most of my days.."

Draft

Harley Quinn is a comic book character in a videogame. She should thank her lucky stars she's not fighting batman in red and black floss.

One gripe is that all of the baddies look like roided up white dudes, even the black guys. You feel me?

We need some more brothers up in hurr.
Not white dudes in blackface.

And yeah Harley could be better. I don't like the intentionally slutty hip tattoo.

tim1138

Harley looks even worse than she did in AA, yikes. I'll still buy and enjoy the game, but she's not really even Harley Quinn anymore at this point.

tim1138 said:
Harley looks even worse than she did in AA, yikes. I'll still buy and enjoy the game, but she's not really even Harley Quinn anymore at this point.
Why not?
25znevr.jpg

Harley_Quinn_005.jpg

I didn't know you guys were expecting a full Jester suit. I think she looks reasonably good, although slightly steampunk. But still very believable in Bats' world.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RustyNails said:
I didn't know you guys were expecting a full Jester suit. I think she looks reasonably good, although slightly steampunk. But still very believable in Bats' world.
I was going to point out how ridiculous it would be to have to fight a gang of grown men in clown make-up but it doesn't seem so far fetched after the last Juggalo gathering.

Mr Jared

Rocksteady is in a really tough position when it comes to how to treat the Harley Quinn character. What I think a lot of people don't realize is that while all the other DC characters had to be given the toon treatment for Batman: TAS, Harley is an original creation from that series. Everything people like about the character comes from a very goofy universe, all things considered. Even though she's a character that crossed over into the comics, DC themselves have never been sure exactly what to do with her.

There are plenty of reasons why I think the fans largely rejected her in Arkham Asylum it was largely because it was too dramatic of a leap. The gimmicky outfit, the roided-up figure and the same, tiny voice all combined into an image that was not consistent with the character. I think the Arkham City design is a lot more on the nose, considering the universe it takes place in, but I think it'd be a lot worse if she was running around in the jester costume.

I still have issues with it (the corset screams "a dude designed my outfit"), but I think it's a lot better. Harley drama aside, I have nothing but faith in Rocksteady for this game.

TigerUppercut said:
Harley looks like Jeanette from Bloodlines.

YES.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
RustyNails said:
You have no idea what the hell 'steampunk' is, do you?

I like the new look in a vacuum, but she's supposed to be a former psychologist... The new model makes it look like she's 16. She's always looked young, granted, but she looks downright jailbait here.

Barakov

Gold Member
Looks fantastic. It seems to be quite the jump art direction-wise. Harley Quinn's outfit is leagues better than what she was wearing in AA.

Really looking forward to this one.

Safe Bet

Banned
I'm not saying she needs to be in full-regalia but ffs she's a college graduate.

Clean her up a bit.

The more "very attractive with a slightly veiled dark twist" she seems the more *oomph* her relationship with Joker has.

She is to Joker what Catwoman is to Batman.

To make her as "gritty" as Joker completely destroys that contrast and simply regulates her to being just another henchman but with a vagina.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Jared said:
Rocksteady is in a really tough position when it comes to how to treat the Harley Quinn character. What I think a lot of people don't realize is that while all the other DC characters had to be given the toon treatment for Batman: TAS, Harley is an original creation from that series. Everything people like about the character comes from a very goofy universe, all things considered. Even though she's a character that crossed over into the comics, DC themselves have never been sure exactly what to do with her.

There are plenty of reasons why I think the fans largely rejected her in Arkham Asylum it was largely because it was too dramatic of a leap. The gimmicky outfit, the roided-up figure and the same, tiny voice all combined into an image that was not consistent with the character. I think the Arkham City design is a lot more on the nose, considering the universe it takes place in, but I think it'd be a lot worse if she was running around in the jester costume.

I still have issues with it (the corset screams "a dude designed my outfit"), but I think it's a lot better. Harley drama aside, I have nothing but faith in Rocksteady for this game.
One of my favorite things about Harley is the jusxtaposition of innocent little girl and insane sociopath. She has always had a mischevious imp quality to her which not only made her fun but made the few moments where she really snapped that much more dramatic. That effect is completely lost with this new costume. She has gone from imp to whore. I just hope her dialogue can save her character.

Safe Bet

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
One of my favorite things about Harley is the jusxtaposition of innocent little girl and insane sociopath. She has always had a mischevious imp quality to her which not only made her fun but made the few moments where she really snapped that much more dramatic.
very well put imo

MrMephistoX

I think I'd be okay with the new Harley if she actually had her signature mask. She looks way too generic with nothing but excessive eye shadow.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MrMephistoX said:
I think I'd be okay with the new Harley if she actually had her signature mask. She looks way too generic with nothing but excessive eye shadow.
Yeah the tats and lack of a proper mask are my two biggest gripes in her appearance.

The thing I do like are the dyed tips of her pigtails. I found that pretty clever.

Haven't played Arkham Asylum, but aesthetically I thought Harley looked much better in that one. This one looks pretty great so far, but Harley just looks more...I dunno...average? Normal? She looks like someone I'd expect to see hanging around Hot Topic in the mall more than an actual persona.

Oneself

Even if it was exactly like the first one, nothing improved, I'd be buying it day one.

SO...

I'm in for a treat.:D

Harley's redesign looks great -- like Pris from Blade Runner fell into her closet. I prefer that to Harley as a hot nurse.

If Nolan ever put Harley Quinn on film, she'd look similar to this, I think. Not as overtly sexual, but similar.

Hot damn this looks excellent. I don't usually get excited for games anymore but this is the one game I want to play today. I would trade in my rights to buy all upcoming games this year just to have this one now. AA was my GOTY last year and this looks even better.

Hellion

Jexhius said:
Looks really, really good.

Glad they turned down the ROIDS.
No they didn't...?

Also is it just Joker henchmen in the game, I thought we'd get some Two-face henchmen in suits :/

Harley + Catwoman = <3

.la1n

two face could use a little work but come on guys all this harley griping is unfounded plus guess what happened last time the fans griped? Infamous' main character cole got transformed into the stupidity he is now.

Batman is still a bit too bulky for my taste, but still looks good. Catwoman definitely looks nice, and Harley Quinn looks better though I just hope he voice actress won't be as annoying this time. The lighting seems to be an improvement over its predecessor.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Harley looks hot! I dig this design and I think it fits her perfectly, because for some reason, I always saw her as the Cosplay type of woman, that she will dress in crazy ways for the Joker. So see her in this different outfits just fit my idea of her. :D

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Day 0

God damn. I know for a fact that that the atmosphere/va/gameplay will be there, the re-polished art direction is just gravy.

This game should be fucking amazing, just like the first.

ninj4junpei said:
Batman is still a bit too bulky for my taste, but still looks good. Catwoman definitely looks nice, and Harley Quinn looks better though I just hope her voice actress won't be as annoying this time. The lighting seems to be an improvement over its predecessor.

That VA definitely has her down though, judging from the screens maybe she will be a bit more "mature" in this one.

as2l2.jpg

MMM Harley, Batman in this pic looks A LOT BETTER too.

Top Bottom