• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Vita/3DS) Game Informer Details

wrowa

Auto save in a Metroidvania kinda defeats the point, but I'm glad for every game in that style I can get. Being developed by Amature makes it even more interesting, even though I'm a little skeptical about their talent -- MP1 was the only truly great (or rather fantastic) Metroid by Retro and I think other people were in lead for that one. MP2 and MP3 missed something of what made the first one such a wonderful experience.

I think I'll end up getting it on Vita if I can tell it's not a dumbed down port that was meant to be on 3DS. I liked the screens that I saw when I was reading GI online.

so let me get this straight, if the game is a port from the 3DS you wont buy..

Forget about the gameplay, all about the graphics hey.

Some of you people have some fcuked up views.

Derrick01

Banned
so let me get this straight, if the game is a port from the 3DS you wont buy..

Forget about the gameplay, all about the graphics hey.

Some of you people have some fcuked up views.

I would certainly lean towards it, yes. I didn't buy a Vita to experience crappy last gen 3DS ports. I understand the economics of the situation but I expect to not be treated like a second class citizen if they want any money from me at all. I don't reward that kind of behavior.

heringer

Aside from resolution there's nothing in the screens screaming Vita to me. It even reminds me of a 3DS game (Mirror of Fate). It's most likely a Vita screen, but judging from that I think 3DS is the lead platform... Vita could easily pull much better visuals.

I am a bit disappointed that we're not getting the full Arkham Origins game on Vita but I doubt it would have been possible.

People seem to forget that though Vita has good 3D acceleration - it's probably not too far behind the PS3 at pushing geometry at a low resolution - the processor is much, much weaker, and open-world games which require lots of calculations will really struggle to run on it.

3DS is much worse in the CPU department, which is why there's only one open-world game available for it, LEGO City Stories, which can't even look to par with Vice City Stories on the PSP because of the very poor draw distance.

The lesson here is: don't expect ports of modern open-world games on Vita or 3DS.

Only F1 2009 was on PSP of the Codies era. Same dev (Sumo) though.

2011 3DS was heavily based on the PSP code. Just compare the versions and their similarities become obvious.

3DS is much worse in the CPU department, which is why there's only one open-world game available for it, LEGO City Stories, which can't even look to par with Vice City Stories on the PSP because of the very poor draw distance.

T

So now we're saying 3DS can't do what the PSP can? I bet that if LEGO City Undercover used circle shadows for everything and had no lighting it could have had a MUCH larger draw distance. Instead they went for fidelity at the cost of draw distance. I'm doubtful that the game was seriously in development until recently anyway, so I don't think it's exactly the best measurement. The DS did open world at 60fps (without fog)...

Well, of course 3DS is the lead platform. Always easier to port up than down.

Those shots look very, very good, but still roughly on par with how Mirror of Fate would look at the same resolution/IQ. Hopefully it runs at a solid 30fps on both platforms, not just Vita.

CamHostage

They lost me at 2,5D

Like 3DS and Vita aren't capable of running 3D adventure games .....

While I do agree that the old approach of "Portable Side-Story" releases has been to the detriment of many handheld gaming fans (it's a rare exception that the portable game matches/exceeds the quality of the home game, and even when it does, sometimes you just wanted that damned home game to go,) it's a little different situation these days. When it makes sense to make the same game across all systems (like a Street Fighter or a Need for Speed,) they pretty much do because the systems can handle it, more or less. And when a franchise can support multiple products at a time like say Batman or Assassin's Creed or Castlevania, they make satellite games that offer new gameplay (which could be ported up to the consoles if they're good enough.)

It's not the ideal situation if you're looking at iOS or Android and seeing almost every game completely open to play on whichever platform you choose (and with home devices happening more and more with Android, we're seeing the line blur completely,) but when it's done right (and when a portable version of the full game would have been sketchy,) it's the best of both worlds. The worst of both worlds is like with LEGO when we could have had the real games on our portables and instead we're getting shitty sub-versions that divide the workforce and de-prioritize the portable versions in every way, if the option in the office between half-assedly doing a game sort of like the home game and doing a totally different game I would totally prefer the spin-off game. Particularly when some of my favorite portable games are spin-offs of established home franchises (and some of the more interesting game developers specialize in portable spin-offs,) I hope publishers do consider this approach even though we have portables that can handle a port. Just choose wisely, make sure you treat your portables as deserving platforms.

From what I see and what I know of this developer, I'm very much OK with this. Just do it right.

True, but how is the Vita version worse? IGN claims it's much better than the 3DS version.

I was never agreeing with them, just pointing out that they're blaming the wrong thing. Just like the LEGO games they're trying to blame the 3DS for the bad Vita version when the 3DS is just an unfortunate middle man for a game from a weaker platform.

Guevara

What I'm picturing right now:

Batman.png

(Batman NES)

- Warner Bros. wanted to have a 2.5D-style Arkham game in the style of Metroidvania

Warner Bros. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Konami.

Now do what you always do and copy western companies and give Iga money for a metroidvania game on 3DS.

I'm very excited for this.

Wicked. I really want this, I might actually want it more than the console version lol.
The foreground/background stuff should be pretty ace in 3D.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
3DS port or not, the screens make it seem much more promising than I was expecting (which was some ugly bullshit at the same level as Castlevania).

denshuu

Thank Jesus, I've been waiting forever for a Shadow Complex sequel. Now to find out where the hell my Vita is.

I would certainly lean towards it, yes. I didn't buy a Vita to experience crappy last gen 3DS ports. I understand the economics of the situation but I expect to not be treated like a second class citizen if they want any money from me at all. I don't reward that kind of behavior.

Like it or not, that's the reality of where Vita ended up in the AA/AAA development ecosystem: it's too underpowered to easily handle PS3/360 ports, yet powerful enough that most third parties (ACIII:L being the sole exception to date) can't justify the costs of exclusive games that take full advantage of the hardware.

Kifimbo

Let's hope Armature finds success with this game. They could find their niche. Portable consoles need more Western studios doing retail games.

KevinCow

Banned
Yesssssss.

I wanted this to happen so much, but I didn't think it actually would. I've never been so happy to be wrong about something.

Huh really? How come?
The Vita versions of the LEGO games are disliked because the Vita should be able to handle the full console games just fine, but instead gets ports of the cut down 3DS versions, with less content and no open/hub world. To add insult to injury, I believe the cut scenes are upscaled from 3DS resolution, and look just plain bad.

In any case, all of WBs 3DS/Vita games have been done by Travelers Tales/TT Fusion, while this is being done by a dev with a bit more of a pedigree on the platform. So even if the game will not going to push the Vita hard, they will hopefully try to take some advantage of the platform strengths and not just slap the 3DS version on it and call it a day,

Spiegel

It seems to me this is a Vita game downgraded to 3DS or am I underestimating the 3DS's graphical powers.

Textures and geometry are pretty simple. And those are bullshots.

You would be surprised at what a difference high resolution and AA can make for a game.

Metroidvania they say? This actually makes me interested in the handheld version as well =), now to decide whether I want the 3DS or Vita, slightly edging to 3DS cause I'm sure they'll use the bottom screen for a map XD

Top Bottom