• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

maneil99

Tried to pre-order on green man gaming using the coupon. My credit card company rejected it since Green Man Gaming is based in the UK and I'm in the US. I clicked on the email the bank sent me to say the payment was valid. Now the question remains if I was charged or not. Green Man Gaming doesn't show any orders, and neither does my bank, for now. I hope I don't get charged and not receive the game.

Could have bought it from me for 30$ :(

Dave_6

Tried to pre-order on green man gaming using the coupon. My credit card company rejected it since Green Man Gaming is based in the UK and I'm in the US. I clicked on the email the bank sent me to say the payment was valid. Now the question remains if I was charged or not. Green Man Gaming doesn't show any orders, and neither does my bank, for now. I hope I don't get charged and not receive the game.

I'm in the US too and have bought one game from them. I used Paypal though and didn't have any issues. I may try to preorder this today.

There's a few new moves but it largely is identical. There's a few new enemy types like the martial artists which require multiple counters, and heavy "Bane" style enemies that act...well, they act like TITAN henchmen without the charge. It's the same basic principle to defeat them (ultra stun, rapid punches.)

I just hope the bosses are decent. Deathstroke I can see using similar techniques to the martial artists, Bane will obviously be an advanced heavy but I haven't a clue how the others will handle.

It looks like the same with little subtle changes. They added some new animations like the combat takedown and some new counters. They also gave him more of a aggressive fighting stance while in combat, compared to how he would just remain standing straight up while fighting. New brute enemies that are wearing full body armor. Batman has to beatdown and rip off portions of the armor to defeat them. New gadgets that can be quick fired such as a sticky concussion grenade. It also looks like they added a more powerful "low bass" sound effects for the punches and pulled the camera out a little more during the cinematic camera toggle when you defeat the last enemy in a group.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have to say though this sounds rather disappointing both mechanically and aesthetically. I was hoping they would at least switch up the animations a little more to reflect that this is an earlier incarnation of Bats.

Ephemeris

Not to mention creepy as hell.

In fact, both Asylum and City have a lot of creepy moments and I hope Origins continues this trend.

I believe they mentioned they'll be trying to keep up with the level of awesome we've come to expect.

I kinda wish this could have been a PS4 Launch Title. Lovely little replacement for Watch_Dogs. Closer to Christmas too.

Yeah really, seems like a no brainer.

PS4 launch line up is kind of weak, and this game admittedly doesn't have as much hype behind it as AC did.

Next gen Rocksteady game going to be fantastic on that hardware though.

Derrick01

Banned
Since GFWL was ripped out of the first 2 games I've been replaying Arkham Asylum again and it hasn't aged well at all. For all the talk of better pacing and level design over AC I'm finding it incredibly boring. Most combat scenarios are way too small and I have to go out of my way to make the stealth areas interesting (I much prefer the challenge modes where you're forced to do certain things). The boss battles are as awful as I remembered though. I also miss having puzzles or little challenges to collect the Riddler trophies in AC. In this game they're just laying out in the open or you need to wait to get the proper gadget and then get them out in the open. There's no actual challenge in it.

At least it's making me appreciate Arkham City even more.

Since GFWL was ripped out of the first 2 games I've been replaying Arkham Asylum again and it hasn't aged well at all. For all the talk of better pacing and level design over AC I'm finding it incredibly boring. Most combat scenarios are way too small and I have to go out of my way to make the stealth areas interesting (I much prefer the challenge modes where you're forced to do certain things). The boss battles are as awful as I remembered though. I also miss having puzzles or little challenges to collect the Riddler trophies in AC. In this game they're just laying out in the open or you need to wait to get the proper gadget and then get them out in the open. There's no actual challenge in it.

At least it's making me appreciate Arkham City even more.

Really? That's disappointing to hear. I haven't played it in over a year and was planning a quick play-through as I have days off next week, but I guess I'll just stick to City instead.

Bummer it hasn't aged well, but then I guess it would feel pretty claustrophobic compared to City.

SJRB

Gold Member
Really? That's disappointing to hear. I haven't played it in over a year and was planning a quick play-through as I have days off next week, but I guess I'll just stick to City instead.

Bummer it hasn't aged well, but then I guess it would feel pretty claustrophobic compared to City.

You could just.. you know, try it first.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

well Derrick prefer AC over AA, and it's just his opinion, it migh be different for you.

I played AA again after watching The Dark Knight Rises, it was playable and feel good and it was still a better game, the only thing that felt "outdated" was the combat because of AC combat improvements but aside from that it don't feel outdated and almost everything in AA still beat AC.

well Derrick prefer AC over AA, and it's just his opinion, it migh be different for you.

I played AA again after watching The Dark Knight Rises, it was playable and feel good and it was still a better game, the only thing that felt "outdated" was the combat because of AC combat improvements but aside from that it don't feel outdated and almost everything in AA still beat AC.

Hmm, I guess I'll bite the bullet and play it. I mean if it doesn't feel like it's aged well, I doubt I'll have such as strong a reaction to it as Derrick.

Thanks for the nudge...

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah I think it was just one of those games that was great when it came out but then they made another that was so much better in almost every way that it rendered the older one obsolete. Talking about just the gameplay I see no reason to play AA again, just remember it for how good it was when it came out.

GolazoDan

Going back to City at the moment, might see if I can get all of the achievements. I never did any of the predator challenge maps because I really liked the combat ones and put a lot of time into them.

schlew

I remember there being some confusion about whether the Wii U version is getting the Deathstroke pre-order DLC. Does anyone know one way or the other what is actually happening there?

I got both Asylum and City on PC but with the delay I am thinking about going Wii U on this one.

Yes, Wii U preorders get Deathstroke.

As well, the Wii U version gets the 'season pass' too, so you can count on that DLC making its way over as well.

I'm going Wii U on this I'd never touch the multiplayer no matter the quality (just not my thing), and off TV suits my lifestyle.

I'm so pumped for this game. It's unreal. Like it has been said, I have Rocksteady a chance on Arkham Asylum (which I thought looked like shit based on its Game Informer unveiling), so why not do the we for WB Montreal. They've made some interesting changes, like having the challenge maps accessible from the Bat cave and dole out XP. I'll actually play them this time around.

I really wish the US collector's edition came with the same statue as the UK one, that's the only reason I didn't go with it.

Gonna be playing the shit out of this and Black Gate regardless.

Sanke__

What? So a feature should be removed because you think its tacked on? Therefor the version with less features is better? Should the Xbox and PS3 versions be better because they don't have tacked on gamepad controls?

I said it was a great deal (because its cheaper)
Not that its a better version.
And im assuming I can play with a pro controller and ignore those tacked on gamepad controls.
And im also hoping the game looks better on wii u than ps3 and I figure ill be more likely to play it on wii u after I get a ps4, but thats not really relevant.

U2NUMB

Just got back from pre ordering... enjoyed the first 2 so why not. Interesting release day but I like that its Friday. Bring it on!

Yeah I think it was just one of those games that was great when it came out but then they made another that was so much better in almost every way that it rendered the older one obsolete. Talking about just the gameplay I see no reason to play AA again, just remember it for how good it was when it came out.

I totally agree. I was blown away by gamers (especially here in GAF) who preferred Arkham Asylum over Arkham City when Arkham City came out. Nothing in Asylum is better than its sequel, Scarecrow sections are the only things that I remember about it, while I remember most of the events in City. Also playing City in new game plus was a very enjoyable experience for me.

Sober

It's probably better to take some time if going back from AC to AA. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to use AC moves in AA and then canceled themselves out.

I mean combat in AC is a huge fucking deal that AA combat challenge maps really don't really go past maybe 12 henchmen until extreme, and even then it ramps up pretty slowly whereas some starter AC combat maps just toss 20 or so at you for fun.

Eusis

Probably helped for AA on release that I'm not sure many people had truly high expectations for it, licensed comic book game and all that. Weren't many of us laughing off the Eidos guy that swore it was going to be a 9+ game?

Ephemeris

I mean combat in AC is a huge fucking deal that AA combat challenge maps really don't really go past maybe 12 henchmen until extreme, and even then it ramps up pretty slowly whereas some starter AC combat maps just toss 20 or so at you for fun.

I was telling a friend the other day that I come alive when 10, 20 people are attacking me; but when it's 1 or 2 it's a chore.

The campaign would be my #1 reason for replaying Asylum.

Combat is the #1 reason I don't. :( Blame my Arkham City muscle memory.

Finished my replay of AC last night so got started on a replay of AA today, see if I can get it done in time. I feel kinda sad though. In my memory I always prefer AA because of the pretty brilliant environment design, but in practise I think the combat has pushed me over to AC. I never recognised much difference back in the day moving on to AC, but when you go back, geez. I had no idea they had made such an improvement. Wonderful games in spite though of course.

Derrick01

Banned
I totally agree. I was blown away by gamers (especially here in GAF) who preferred Arkham Asylum over Arkham City when Arkham City came out. Nothing in Asylum is better than its sequel, Scarecrow sections are the only things that I remember about it, while I remember most of the events in City. Also playing City in new game plus was a very enjoyable experience for me.

To be honest the scarecrow sections aren't even that good. I did the first one again yesterday and found it to be more of a chore and way too easy. It was nice in that it added a change of pace to the flow of the game at that point but when you look at it closely there's not a lot of actual gameplay involved. You just run and take cover.

It's probably better to take some time if going back from AC to AA. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to use AC moves in AA and then canceled themselves out.

Yeah besides the much better combat in AC (including catwoman's fighting style) I liked the much improved enemy count. Just flying around in AC you can fight random groups that are larger than almost every battle in AA and on new game+ they can be a pain in the ass. It's really fun.

Probably helped for AA on release that I'm not sure many people had truly high expectations for it, licensed comic book game and all that. Weren't many of us laughing off the Eidos guy that swore it was going to be a 9+ game?

I don't remember following Gaf that closely back then. It's fair to say most ignored the game until the demo came out at least.

Take a look at the reveal screenshots, people were laughing their ass of and saying the game was gonna be garbage. And hell, who could blame them? It was gonna be another shit batman game as far as anyone knew. Opinion only turned around once the demo dropped.

Squishy3

Finished my replay of AC last night so got started on a replay of AA today, see if I can get it done in time. I feel kinda sad though. In my memory I always prefer AA because of the pretty brilliant environment design, but in practise I think the combat has pushed me over to AC. I never recognised much difference back in the day moving on to AC, but when you go back, geez. I had no idea they had made such an improvement. Wonderful games in spite though of course.
AC is better in that regard for sure, and say what people say about how the ending fights feel forced and ridiculous it's got way better final encounters than Arkham Asylum. That final scene is really moving, too.

neoism

also is this only dx 10 or can you use dx 9....
I'll be able to play on high right or there about?
i5 2.7x4
8gm ram
Radeon HD 5870

ArjanN

I still think Asylum is probably the better game overall, probably mostly because it's feels tigher and more cohesive.

AC is a fairly typical "more of everything" type of sequel and while it's improved in some areas like the combat there's definitely some stuff that Asylum did better. Like how AC has too many collectables, too many villains that serve no real purpose. How the story makes less sense, and the open world doesn't really add much.

Yeah besides the much better combat in AC (including catwoman's fighting style) I liked the much improved enemy count.

Even though it adds challenge and the combat is fun I think the enemy count in AC got pretty silly at times.

Veelk

Banned
I don't understand the idea of "too many villains" in the context of a batman game. I'm usually the one saying "too much of anything is a bad thing", but as long as they're well done encounters, I don't see how it hurts anything but the story, which I would definitely say is an expendable.

Ephemeris

Take a look at the reveal screenshots, people were laughing their ass of and saying the game was gonna be garbage. And hell, who could blame them? It was gonna be another shit batman game as far as anyone knew. Opinion only turned around once the demo dropped.

I was always a believer.

/hipsterEphemeris

I don't understand the idea of "too many villains" in the context of a batman game. I'm usually the one saying "too much of anything is a bad thing", but as long as they're well done encounters, I don't see how it hurts anything but the story, which I would definitely say is an expendable.

I think in the ama they said most are part of the main story, some are side missions.

I'm guessing copperhead/bane might be sidelined, I hope deadshot isn't since he got that treatment in AC.

Eusis

I don't remember following Gaf that closely back then. It's fair to say most ignored the game until the demo came out at least.
I may've misremembered now that I try to dig up old threads (and admittedly I lurked myself then), though there was definitely some outrage over score restricted embargoes. Though now that we have a plain, straight across the board embargo some fear the worst, though after movies doing exactly this it's understandable.
Just the premise made me figure that, at best, it was only going to be a well written game but not a particularly GOOD one. But yeah, once we got to play the game most stopped being skeptical.

Nokterian

I love both games but i do go more towards AC also, not only for the combat but there are more challenges to be done and i love those fight challenges doing crazy combo's have put a lot of hours in it with old vanilla AC around 50 hours orso. It feels overall a better package with tons of upgrades. But i do like AA since it really gave me that feeling i am batman gonna kick your ass!

Hypron

Yeah besides the much better combat in AC (including catwoman's fighting style) I liked the much improved enemy count. Just flying around in AC you can fight random groups that are larger than almost every battle in AA and on new game+ they can be a pain in the ass. It's really fun.

Yeah. Fighting heaps of thugs at once is so satisfying. But you know the improvement I love the most in AC? Knife takedowns. I love the risk/reward of that move. Pulling one when you have a nice 100+ hits combo going is so satisfying.

I remember reading the Game Informer preview for AA and the way they outlined all the mechanics and how serious they were, it was like "Ok..cautiously optimistic". I liked that riot police game they made just fine, but it wasn't particularly special or memorable. Nothing on the level AA turned out to be.

Ahasverus

The soundtrack for this game is better than every batman sundtrack ever released. I was speechless with that 30min demo.
Edit: DP, welp, sorry.

npa189

Green Man is giving 25% off the PC (best?) version, bought. Can't beat a new release for $37.50. I'm really excited.

overcast

I'll be there for sure. Later than you guys though. Still need to beat GTA V, and I need to buy Pokemon next friday.

This is my favorite franchise of the gen, so hopefully they live up to the expectations set by the previous installments.

Friend and I played Arkham Aslyum from start to finish last night; still an incredible game. Not quite the flawless masterpiece that is City, but wow. Holds up incredibly well.

Kabuto

the code I got from the ebay seller isn't working...

I emailed him so hopefully this gets resolved and he has another code.

Some Nobody

Batman's one of those characters that I'd like if people would stfu about him being the best hero ever or whatever. But I'm still cool with the character and hype to play this game after beating Arkham City this summer.

They can keep all that DLC though, except the story based one if it turns out to be anything substantial.

Top Bottom