• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn adds microtransactions

Huh? What's a Battleborn?

giphy.gif

Lol

Seriously though, it's a kind of edgy soft drink right?

Twitch viewers being used as a metric for a game's success might be the dumbest thing ive seen. i sure as fuck dont want twitch-people anywhere near the games i play.

This strikes me as a bizarre post ignorant of modern social infrastructure surrounding games. I mean, I could agree to an extent that this probably the best way to try to arrive at any absolute numbers. After all, there's a lot of factors that can affect viewership at any random point:

1.) Some games are just inherently more spectator friendly than others.
2.) Is a prominent streamer playing one game over another right now?
3.) Is there an event spiking viewership (i.e. a tournament)?

And so on. Like you can't just say CurrentViewers * X = TotalPurchases and assume you're in the ballpark. But at the same time, Twitch is an established medium for gauging interest. When I see right now that 32,180 viewers and Battleborn has 254, it's hard to conclude that this isn't necessarily bad for Battleborn given the similarity in gameplay and release date proximity.

But sure, I don't disagree that viewership numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story.

Battleborn is a pretty cool game that fills the void left by Super Monday Night Combat dying off. Shame about it's launch and the other issues it had.

Microtransactions aren't really a big deal for me, but they should really flesh out exactly what their season pass owners are getting real soon.

Their currency system is really dumb though. You can buy enough to get a skin without any left over, but if you just want a taunt you're out of luck.

I think it's pretty sad how badly the game flopped given it's a unique take on MOBAs (unlike something along the lines of Paragon) and it was a relatively content rich title at launch.

Gurish

Makes sense, player base is extremely small, game is a flop, all they have left is milking money from hardcore players that will buy just about everything.

patchday

I think it's pretty sad how badly the game flopped given it's a unique take on MOBAs (unlike something along the lines of Paragon) and it was a relatively content rich title at launch.

It's kind of a good thing. MOBAs are all about skill and having a fair playground. Paragon and Battleborn decided to add RNG into the mix. No MOBA player ever asked for items to be determined by RNG (random loot). Items are something we buy during the game to counter opposing players, utility, and assist in gaining an advantage over other players

This was a very bad direction for MOBAs to go and so I am glad (in a way) these titles are flopping

I am also sad like yourself though- because the game didnt seem so bad in open beta. It was actually fun. But it was definitely not something your traditional MOBA player wanted. So that left FPS/RPG fans. Apparently they did not really want this sort of thing either

patchday

one more thing- it wasn't content rich per se if compared to established MOBAs like League, Dota, and Smite which sport at least 70 champions (Smite) to well over 100 (LoL/Dota)

You probably mean the coop player content which was a neat addition to MOBA-like genre. But I'd argue Dota has coop modes available as well [edit] in the form of community mods

Unicorn

Battleborn was already in trouble before Overwatch came out. It's peak concurrent players on Steam is only 12k, less than half of Evolve's peak.

This game would have failed regardless of Overwatch existing. It's just not good enough at any one thing it does.

eh, didn't help that OW beta launched same day as BB release.

OW was out for BB's lunch, and frankly who can blame them since it was so easy to do so.

A.E Suggs

Some of these posts are downright savage so i didn't quote any as i'd run out of room. At the very least this game sold well right?

Shoutout to the whales that they hoped to get but probably wont.

Xevren

So on top of my 30 minute queue times now I can buy costumes, how swell. I really like the game but I don't even know what the hell they're doing with it.

patchday

Some of these posts are downright savage so i didn't quote any as i'd run out of room. At the very least this game sold well right?

Shoutout to the whales that they hoped to get but probably wont.

well its on Steam. To be fair it might do well on steam sales and especially after more content is added (like story packs)

Game doesnt deserve to totally die (wasnt that baad). I enjoyed it in open beta just knew I'd rather play other games (plus I mentioned I don't like RNG items in my PVP)

Beginning that inevitable F2P changeover....

Part of me wonders if they really will do that. Even with its low player count they still never made Evolve F2P and even made a Season 2 Pass for it. Then again, I'm not sure if Evolve situation was as dire as this or not.

vareon

Is there any game with the most unfortunate release timing? Really, it's not even a terrible game to begin with (according to those who play anyway).

one more thing- it wasn't content rich per se if compared to established MOBAs like League, Dota, and Smite which sport at least 70 champions (Smite) to well over 100 (LoL/Dota)

You probably mean the coop player content which was a neat addition to MOBA-like genre. But I'd argue Dota has coop modes available as well [edit] in the form of community mods

I was referring to the amount of content in the game at launch next to recent multiplayer focused titles (such as SF5 and Overwatch) as opposed to comparing it to games that have been in development for years.

CronoShot

They probably figured with Overwatch out, Battleborn probably won't be getting many new players anyway. So might as well squeeze more money from the players they already have.

Battleborn may need a bit more help than microtransactions. Marketing trying to make it look like an Overwatch alternative didn't help much either.

jJaQLFs.png

This is kind of hilarious. It has been morbidly fascinating watching Battleborn die, especially since the Battleborn community seems to be deeply in denial about the state of the game. Pretty much following in the exact footsteps of the Evolve community from last year.

It's kind of a good thing. MOBAs are all about skill and having a fair playground. Paragon and Battleborn decided to add RNG into the mix. No MOBA player ever asked for items to be determined by RNG (random loot).

I don't think RNG is inherently bad for this genre. Dota 2 has all kinds of RNG in it (Spirit Breaker's chance to stun on hit, Phantom Assassin's chance to evade attacks, Ogre Magi's chance to multicast, random rune spawns and probably more) but it all still works perfectly fine in hyper competitive environments. What you need are good designers who can balance it properly and I don't think Gearbox have those.

Part of me wonders if they really will do that. Even with its low player count they still never made Evolve F2P and even made a Season 2 Pass for it. Then again, I'm not sure if Evolve situation was as dire as this or not.

Battleborn is in a situation far more dire than Evolve ever was at this point in it's life.

The comment you were responding to was specifically talking about launch. League launched with 40 champions over Battleborn's 25, but Battleborn also has 6 competitive maps (League had 2?), 9 co-op maps, lots of different skins, taunts, and other unlocks for each characters, every character in Battleborn has an entirely unique set of perks for each level, there's actual story stuff all over the game like 20+ minutes of in-game dialogue for each character and crazy little stuff like this, you have some cutscenes, character models and animations are more complex and clearly took longer to make. In terms of content it compares very favorably with launch League.

I can't find exact numbers, but going by memory I believe Smite launched with a similar number of champs as League, though it did have more maps. We also can't ignore that both games had extensive pre-release beta periods during which they added content. Dota 2 especially benefitted from that, we can't really pretend it was a new game when Valve released it three years ago, right?

TheYanger

The comment you were responding to was specifically talking about launch. League launched with 40 champions over Battleborn's 25, but Battleborn also has 6 competitive maps (League had 2?), 9 co-op maps, lots of different skins, taunts, and other unlocks for each characters, every character in Battleborn has an entirely unique set of perks for each level, there's actual story stuff all over the game like 20+ minutes of in-game dialogue for each character and crazy little stuff like this, you have some cutscenes, character models and animations are more complex and clearly took longer to make. In terms of content it compares very favorably with launch League.

I can't find exact numbers, but going by memory I believe Smite launched with a similar number of champs as League, though it did have more maps. We also can't ignore that both games had extensive pre-release beta periods during which they added content. Dota 2 especially benefitted from that, we can't really pretend it was a new game when Valve released it three years ago, right?

when the campaign aspect of the game is total trash, the fact that it exists does little for the game.

weevles

Did Gearbox actively enlist the twitch streamers to do let's plays and things of that nature?

Seems like the game wasn't really marketed very well.

It's not a bad game, IMO it was bad timing though, to go against Overwatch. I mean, I see ads for that game literally everywhere still.

Teepo671

It's a fun game and I'm still enjoying the heck out of it but man, the prices for those skins are a bit high. I mean at those prices I'd kind of expect a full model change like the legendary skins on Overwatch.

Windforce

This thread made me feel so bad for Battleborn. I worry about the dev team/the people behind the game. I think this game had the worst timing ever for a launch.

Top Bottom