• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn adds microtransactions

Aranjah

I feel so bad for the devs, I really wanted this game to be good (I especially wanted the campaign to be good, because I love co-op campaigns). I really wanted to want this game.

I feel even worse that I know someone who worked on it, who was super-excited about it, and I still never bought it. >.<

On-topic: Microtransactions in a game that's not free-to-play still feels sleazy to me despite slowly becoming the industry standard, but at least they didn't implement it as gambling like Blizzard did. Props to them for that.

TheYanger

I feel so bad for the devs, I really wanted this game to be good (I especially wanted the campaign to be good, because I love co-op campaigns). I really wanted to want this game.

I feel even worse that I know someone who worked on it, who was super-excited about it, and I still never bought it. >.<

On-topic: Microtransactions in a game that's not free-to-play still feels sleazy to me despite slowly becoming the industry standard, but at least they didn't implement it as gambling like Blizzard did. Props to them for that.

No, instead you just flat out can't get the shit without spending money. I can't understand people that think offering them reasonably for free vs REQUIRED spending money is worse.

Steel

Banned
No, instead you just flat out can't get the shit without spending money. I can't understand people that think offering them reasonably for free vs REQUIRED spending money is worse.

Pretty sure you can still get the taunt's in the game's equivalent of loot boxes.

Zukkoyaki

At least Gearbox can always fall back onto Borderlands. Like some of the others here I do feel bad for the developers who spent years working on to make this game; especially since it really isn't that bad by all accounts... just not great which is what it needed to be.

RaptorGTA

This thread made me feel so bad for Battleborn. I worry about the dev team/the people behind the game. I think this game had the worst timing ever for a launch.

I don't think the launch window was the only issue. Me personally I didn't find the game too great.

Unicorn

On the upside, the Battleborn community has been one of the most helpful communities. Dudes with mics giving advice on characters and tactics - very little shit talking, almost all helpful.

I guess people learned from SMNC to not be dicks to the small community, lest they want to see it dwindle even further.

The saddest thing about Battleborn's launch is that there was nothing they could do. It's not like waiting for OW's launch would've helped. Rushing this game would've shown it off even jankier than it already is. Depressing, really.

Dremark

Banned

I'd feel bad if the dev wasn't Gearbox.

I'll give them due credit that you can just buy what you want with the micro transactions though.

Pretty sure you can still get the taunt's in the game's equivalent of loot boxes.

No, you have to buy these new skins. It's similar to how Destiny does their microtransactions. Loot boxes only give you item stat boosts, secret taunts, and secret color skins.

Halabane

I am quite sure there are people at Gearbox who worked very hard on this and don't deserve the failure. But those that are guiding the ship have failed the team. Probably turning out to be 2016 biggest failures to launch.

Wondering what will happen to Paragon now.

BigDug13

I'd feel bad if the dev wasn't Gearbox.

I'll give them due credit that you can just buy what you want with the micro transactions though.

Hundreds of other people work there besides Randy Pitchford. Seems really petty to refuse to feel bad for developers just because they work for a shitheel boss.

Reave

Even if this is a sign of F2P, it's a bad way to do it. Announce it first, then roll out the microtransactions simultaneously. What a mess.

Moff

a lot better and player friendly than overwatch's gambling loot boxes

I hope it goes f2p soon, I'll give it a try then

Moff

PMdjhpC.png

*water sloshing around the bowl*

holy damn
bad sales is one thing
losing even the few people who bought the game is something completely different, wow
I doubt f2p can save it, then. but if they have any intention to try keeping it alive, they need to go f2p yesterday.

Dremark

Banned
Hundreds of other people work there besides Randy Pitchford. Seems really petty to refuse to feel bad for developers just because they work for a shitheel boss.

If they actively start laying people off as a result of the game failing I'll feel bad for those people. I'm not going to feel bad for a company run by a scumbag who seems to have gotten the majority of his success through dishonest means and screws thier customers over.

Ozigizo

This thread made me feel so bad for Battleborn. I worry about the dev team/the people behind the game. I think this game had the worst timing ever for a launch.

The timing didn't really matter. They dropped in to an already saturated market with little to show except for more fart jokes.

The "humor" in this game makes me cringe.

MUnited83

For you.
a lot better and player friendly than overwatch's gambling loot boxes

I hope it goes f2p soon, I'll give it a try then

LMAO. Yes, having cosmetics completely locked away in a paywall is totally better than a system that allows you to get everything without paying a cent. Sure.

Moff

LMAO. Yes, having cosmetics completely locked away in a paywall is totally better than a system that allows you to get everything without paying a cent. Sure.

absolutely, yes.
and that's telling how useless those gamble boxes from overwatch are
and I love the game, btw. it's fantastic, but after 30 hours I still have 0 of the skins I want and nowhere the currency to buy a single one of them.

I passionately hate those boxes :)

mreddie

Gonna be really interesting where Paragon and Lawbreakers end up.

I saw ads for it during E3, the one this year, I had to wonder why they were still showing ads for it.

cordy

Banned
Battleborn adding microtransactions feels so much like HHH appearing back on tv for more ratings like "yeah that'll do the job". Break in case of emergency shit.

Gonna be really interesting where Paragon and Lawbreakers end up.

I saw ads for it during E3, the one this year, I had to wonder why they were still showing ads for it.

Lawbreakers has that Cliffy B hype riding behind it and the promise of an Unreal style arena shooter mixed with team classes so it should have a decent community with good word of mouth. No one is talking about Paragon. Despite being F2P I think it'll do worse than Battleborn.

Windforce

I don't think the launch window was the only issue. Me personally I didn't find the game too great.

The timing didn't really matter. They dropped in to an already saturated market with little to show except for more fart jokes.

The "humor" in this game makes me cringe.

I understand. Competitive online FPS with cringeworthy fart jokes? Well it's definitely not my style either.

Aside from the fluke with Borderlands, Gearbox is a terrible developer, so this really doesn't surprise me.

I will admit the schadenfreude is there to some degree.

I'll buy a skin if they're good, but the few that I saw weren't that appealing.

The game is dying on PC, but consoles seems to be healthy? Haven't seen a difference in queue times between now and launch.

Game is solid but messy. Characters have a lot of depth and that's really what matters to me in a MOBA.

I hope they add a 3 lane map or something, would love to see how the group dynamics change.

Finaika

holy damn
bad sales is one thing
losing even the few people who bought the game is something completely different, wow
I doubt f2p can save it, then. but if they have any intention to try keeping it alive, they need to go f2p yesterday.

What other games are they playing?

MUnited83

For you.
absolutely, yes.
and that's telling how useless those gamble boxes from overwatch are
and I love the game, btw. it's fantastic, but after 30 hours I still have 0 of the skins I want and nowhere the currency to buy a single one of them.

I passionately hate those boxes :)

nooooope, fuck that shit. I got plenty of skins already without paying a cent, and I have the currency to buy 3 legendaries at level 67.

Having to pay money for skins and not having any way of earning of them without it is far, far, far more shitty.

Nokterian

This game disappeared very fast on Steam EU top 100 most played games just 4 weeks after release it sank faster than evolve did.

Moff

nooooope, fuck that shit. I got plenty of skins already without paying a cent, and I have the currency to buy 3 legendaries at level 67.

Having to pay money for skins and not having any way of earning of them without it is far, far, far more shitty.

I am completely fine with cosmetics being real money only, I don't consider that shitty at all, like 0 shitty.

RNG rewards however, that are mostly frustrating rubbish instead of rewarding, that is shitty. I think I had only whitewhitewhiteblue the last 10 levels, that is a frustrating mess, these "rewards" are 0 reason for me to play this game. I am no longer looking forward to open them. actually I'd rather have no boxes at all.

and "you'll get everything free eventually" is not a pass for everything, there is a line somewhere, and level 65 for 3 skins you actually want (I guess that's like what, 20 to 25 hours per skin) has crossed that line by far. that is ridiculously bad.

they need either dailies for currency or betted drop rates from the boxes, but they won't do either because they are milking the whales with RNG gamble boxes, and that is not only shitty, it's player unfriendly behavior and scummy.
letting you buy the cosmetics you want for $ is neither shitty nor scummy.

and it's concerning that most fans of overwatch simply excuse this because the game is great and they feel the need to defend their game no matter what. you can love a game and still recognize shitty concepts like that, I have no problems doing that with overwartch.

MUnited83

For you.
I am completely fine with cosmetics being real money only, I don't consider that shitty at all, like 0 shitty.

RNG rewards however, that are mostly frustrating rubbish instead of rewarding, that is shitty. I think I had only whitewhitewhiteblue the last 10 levels, that is a frustrating mess, these "rewards" are 0 reason for me to play this game. I am no longer looking forward to open them. actually I'd rather have no boxes at all.

and "you'll get everything free eventually" is not a pass for everything, there is a line somewhere, and level 65 for 3 skins you actually want (I guess that's like what, 20 to 25 hours per skin) has crossed that line by far. that is ridiculously bad.

they need either dailies for currency or betted drop rates from the boxes, but they won't do either because they are milking the whales with RNG gamble boxes, and that is not only shitty, it's player unfriendly behavior and scummy.
letting you buy the cosmetics you want for $ is neither shitty nor scummy.

and it's concerning that most fans of overwatch simply excuse this because the game is great and they feel the need to defend their game no matter what. you can love a game and still recognize shitty concepts like that, I have no problems doing that with overwartch.

Gating cosmetics with a paywall is both shitty and scummy. If they allowed you get them in-game you'd have a point. As it is, they are relying on whales just as much, and giving jackshit to people who don't want to pay a cent more.

Letting you get everything > Forcing you to pay to get everything.

Let's also remember that they never disclosed their plan of having this pay-only skins before btw. That's even worse.

stop spreading nonsense, the game is not dying its doing just fine. i have played every day since it came out and have no trouble finding games!!!

Top Bottom