• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Not a fan of the title at all, war has never been great and considering the war this covers it seems even more disrespectful.

Can't wait for the game though it looks really good.

You find the title disrespectful? Don't let yourself have any fun while playing this, don't want to make an action adventure out of the great war :eyeroll:

Not a fan of the title at all, war has never been great and considering the war this covers it seems even more disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect. I went with a suggestion that was the most liked in the beta thread.

You do know that World War I is known as "The Great War", right? The title is a play on that.

Daffy Duck

I mean no disrespect. I went with a suggestion that was the most liked in the beta thread.

I understand was just my view, maybe I'm just grumpy due to having tonsillitis.

You do know that World War I is known as "The Great War", right? The title is a play on that.

Yes I do know that. This title though just stood as meaning great as in this is great and war is amazing as opposed to the meaning of a war on great scale (the reason it was named as such),but I accept it's just me.

I said I will enjoy the game just the title of the OT got me that's all.

The war it covers was called the Great War...

As above, yes I know but that wasn't used because everyone had a great time there. As I said above this title just appeared off to me, I can see why it's only just me and all was just pointing it out that's all.

fanboi

Banned

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.
Been waiting to see more of this posted in the BF1 threads, thanks lol.

Are we gonna do this? We're gonna do this, aren't we?

Daffy Duck

Look I don't want to derail this thread, I just said I wasn't a fan of the title. Yeah I get it that it's just me and it's a play on words. Can we leave it there, I'm obviously very wrong on it.

Are we gonna do this? We're gonna do this, aren't we?

It's sarcasm I assume.

Sarcasm?

I knew family members that served in the Great War. My Uncle Clarence who passed away in 1996 at the age of 96. Knew him my whole life. He would tell me about the war. I can safely say that if he were alive today that he would feel honored to be apart of something that is being enjoyed by people around the world.

If this is how you feel you should be ashamed for enjoying games like Grand Theft Auto too. But it's just a game and it's just an artist(s) interpretation.

Let's keep this thread related to the game. If there is a issues someone has with the game, there is a thread about it.

Personally I want everyone to feel welcome in this thread :)

-hadouken

So back on topic - for those who have a pre-load, what's your timer showing?

Cu8y1AoUEAACZ0-.png

Anyway, is there a map comparable to Metro or Locker in this game? Hoping their isn't but I will live with it if there is.

Argonne Forest.

Its actually a GAF meme from a member or former member who had a outrage about BF1 months ago. It was not sarcastic at all the orginal poster of this meme was dead serious.

Wow. That is ridiculous. Where were these people when Battlefield Vietnam came out? I was taken aback by the sudden outrage over the WW1 setting when this trailer was unveiled. I just don't get it.

_woLf

Was gonna preorder this and Civ 6 but BestBuy doesn't seem to want my money right now.

Guess I'll wait for the impressions.

sasliquid

In all serious I do have concerns about the tone of the single player. WW1 wasn't like WW2, there wasn't an obvious bad side just millions of lives lost in a senseless conflict. From the trailers I'm worried they've just reskinned the tone from a WW2 game.

I totally think you can make a WW1 game but I think the tone needs to be more respectful than the usual fare

Glassboy

I thought Suez was the closest Meatro/Locker analog? I know Argonne Forest has a linear flag setup, but I thought it was wide enough that it plays more like Zavod 311 than Locker.
Damn if Argonne is as grindy as Suez/Locker/Metro that would be extremely disappointing. Those maps are battlefield at its worst imo

himZD0M.gif

So got kicked out of my 3rd straight game now I am getting "You Have lost connection to the EA servers"

Looks like this is going to be a repeat of BF4 for me :(

Sure you can put your gas mask on but you can't aim down sights with it on. You either die or potatoe hip-fire aim.

Sounds like a blast to me. Sense of danger, having to wear the mask and change tactics. That is what the mask is for. Glad its not just a wasted addition that never gets used.

So, took a look at some BF1 highlights on twitch and now I'm suggest loads of videos literally titled things like "boobs" which Twitch says is based on my viewing history. Wow.

Game looks amazing though. 60fps streamers and official livestream have some great moments.

Sounds like a blast to me. Sense of danger, having to wear the mask and change tactics. That is what the mask is for. Glad its not just a wasted addition that never gets used.
There's no tactics to it though. You put the mask on and they gun you down immediately on Argonne. That's assuming you're not already blown up by the 15 frag grenades. The map is awful.

I'm in Vic - the countdown for my PS4 pre-load is another 8 hours. How are you getting it in 5?

Digital deluxe or whatever giving 3 day early access. Early enlister I think they call it.

My Origin on PC says 7AM WAST so must be based on EST, being Midnight Tuesday.

There's no tactics to it though. You put the mask on and they gun you down immediately on Argonne. That's assuming you're not already blown up by the 15 frag grenades. The map is awful.
Damn, hope that's not the case since Suez is getting bad impressions too and with the terrible beta map that would mean the game I only launching with 5 good maps :/

Bf4's vanilla maps were surprisingly great I thought.

Top Bottom