• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Review Thread

Duxxy3

I played it with controller last night and there isn't any aim assist, I mean it feels fine if you accept you are going to get butchered by every mouse player that's decent and gets the jump on you.

I feel like with some practice playing with the controller is FINE, but if you want to be the best then forget it.

That's a shame. Black Ops 3 had excellent controller support. Felt like I was playing the console version when using a controller.

WillyFive

^ There is aim assist on BF1, unless it was removed at the last minute or something. I've played BF1 on a controller on PC for the past few days.

Real rentable dedicated servers were removed for the first time of the Battlefield franchise. Most (casual) players won't really notice anything but eSport or any type of clanwars for online ladders or leagues are not possible anymore. Also features like ingame map-votes, kick-votes or admin tools (procon) are not possible anymore. Community based anti-cheat software like "ggc-stream" are not supported anymore since the first Battlefield 14 years ago. And the anti cheat tool provided by DICE did already fail in the early access phase.

There are many features missing that were especially important for clans that were running their own public servers or were playing Battlefield in a competitive way.
Reviewers won't know the first thing about any of that stuff.

You won't hear about stuff like that until people like Levelcap or Jackfrags start reviewing them.

noface

Lé Blade Runner;220351829 said:
I swore not to pre-order this, but the early buzz and these reviews... Battlefield, I'm back!

I said I will switch this year because of the lack of choppers and MW remastered. The COD beta made me see the error of my ways and I hope BF still wants me back.

Machina

Banned
This quote from Forbes

is such bullshit. Gameplay is ace in this BF, the best since BFBC2.

Absolutely. The button layouts are intuitive and set out well on PC at least, the mouse acceleration is very customizable. Gameplay wise there is literally nothing to complain about here. Even the destruction is on point.

For someone whose never played the MP of Battlefield and doesn't have much interest is this going to still be fun?

Play one full round with 64 players on Amiens. The rest will be history.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
opencritic 86

that's a current gen game, yep

seems like everything is either low 70s, 86 or 95 nowadays.
95?

There's a grand total of zero games between PS4, XB1, Wii U, 3DS, and Vita that have a 95 or higher that aren't ports of last gen games. Review scores have went down across the board.

Mind, I don't think the games are worse, but rather reviewers just actually adjusted their scale down around 2012.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just played the first campaign.
Man, say whatever you want about this game but Dice fucking NAILS atmosphere. Their sound design is soooooo damn good, it's unbelievable.

fast_taker

i must admin that i was quite hesitant with WW1 weapons, because they are slow and ineffective compared to the weapons i am used to use with other first person shooters. But i somehow loved the sneaky gameplay that i have to stick with in order to survive in single player mode

void666

Banned
I've been playing on xbox and i think dice has something special here. Game is pretty good.
Conquest is maybe too chaotic to me right now as i don't know the maps and random deaths gets frustrating. FPS is rough sometimes. MP has dynamic resolution right?
Rush on the other hand is smooth.

Skyr

Reviews are looking excellent so far.
I think I will cave in and get the Early Enlisters edition after work today.
Performance wise it runs excellent on my 1070. I had some stuttering in multiplayer but I think that was because of connection problems or server issues.

I just played the first campaign.
Man, say whatever you want about this game but Dice fucking NAILS atmosphere. Their sound design is soooooo damn good, it's unbelievable.
I was just saying this last night it feels like your in war like every second and bullet counts it's just nuts like 1 min your fine than hang on to your weenie cause this ride is a going

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This quote from Forbes

is such bullshit. Gameplay is ace in this BF, the best since BFBC2.

When I read shit like that all I see is, "Not a mascot platformer, 2/10". I have zero respect for anyone who gets paid to review products though so it doesn't matter :p.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I knew that the MP was going to be awesome... but the Campaign too?!!
Based DICE is back!!

Deal with it TheSeks!! :3

Newman96

Absolutely. The button layouts are intuitive and set out well on PC at least, the mouse acceleration is very customizable. Gameplay wise there is literally nothing to complain about here. Even the destruction is on point.
Nice to hear you praising the destruction, which is something I was kind of disappointed at times with in Battlefield 4..is it closer to Bad Company 2 again?

JBwB

Never in doubt haha. Great reviews all round!

Can't wait to play this after the OW Halloween event ends.

Ducktail

Very good reviews! Congratz, DICE!

I quite enjoyed my time with the Beta. However, I find it disheartening that there will be a bunch of paid dlc's down the road and the game costs 60 at launch. Not much incentive to get it now, personally speaking.

BF4's campaign was glorious, from a set piece perspective. The cinematics were great too. As for BF1's campaign, has there been any proper footage? The one they showed felt meh with you being on the battlefield and dying and taking control of another foot soldier.

M.W.

After playing a few hours of this and IW this weekend, this game is going to be my go to MP game this winter.

I said I will switch this year because of the lack of choppers and MW remastered. The COD beta made me see the error of my ways and I hope BF still wants me back.

I really hope they'll pull some bullshit prototype fantasy BS and introduce choppers (or helicopter-like planes whatever) in the DLC expansions...Seriously the only thing I'm sad about regarding this game.

Archpath1

Game is seriously fun guys

Even if you are not the best player

Something about the game that makes moment to moment gameplay really fun

Seeing a plane crash into buildings, a rush of players swarm a village, that fog setting in waiting for an attack

The visuals and audio are top notch

Dammit. The reviews are going to make this hard not to jump in day 1. Thing is, BF games are never a good deal until 6-12 months later after bugs are fixed n all of the DLC is included in a $60 or less GOTY / Premium edition. But the beta was a lot of fun. And now this. Shit. I'm probably gonna get sucked in.

MaLDo

I played it with controller last night and there isn't any aim assist, I mean it feels fine if you accept you are going to get butchered by every mouse player that's decent and gets the jump on you.

I feel like with some practice playing with the controller is FINE, but if you want to be the best then forget it.

^ There is aim assist on BF1, unless it was removed at the last minute or something. I've played BF1 on a controller on PC for the past few days.

I guess we need to wait then.

hmm? I played the Early Ea Access Trial with an Xbox ONE controller on PC and there was plenty of aim assist. I did just about as good as I ever did on console, never felt disadvantaged TBH.

Unless of course they somehow got rid of it between now and then which would suck since this was the first BF game on PC to have it finally.

Top Bottom