• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Backfoggen said:
Ambient Occlusion doesn't really eat that much performance nowadays. They optimized the hell out of it and now it's even present in most console games.

SSAO yeah its actually quit fast at least from what i heard from crytek they got it for 0.2ms or 2.0ms not sure anymore on 360 with crysis 2 im pretty sure its 0.2ms. But then again i heard epic implementation

What Dice used is HBAO same sort of effect but way more precise and those taking a big performance hit.

Still new to graphics but doing stuff for uni graphics(2D but me and a buddy are doing 3D) course. Hell haven't even screwed around with effect files in xna which is the framework we have to use.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I await my email (im) patiently. I pre-ordered the game via Origin AND I own Medal of Honor so I should have the game 2 days ago, heh.

Anyway, the graphical options are interesting, as long as I can run at 1920x1080 at decent detail levels I'll be happy.

kxmDK.png

oh the joy of graphic options

Sethos

Banned
Just to add on the SSAO / HBAO. SSAO in its vanilla form can be very light on the machine but HBAO is a completely different beast. It was a massive hog in BC2 and I'm sure it will be in BF3 as well, hence all the SLI talk on maxed out.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_580_video_card_review/7

"Battlefield: Bad Company 2 remains a great game to test with as it is still demanding at high resolutions. The HBAO quality option is a performance hog"

And you'll see this mentioned pretty much everywhere, HBAO is really demanding and for me, personally, it doesn't add enough to the overall IQ to ever take that performance hit. There's plenty of scenes where it makes the overall image look worse due to being over-darkened and a weird depth.

Manager

Sethos said:
Just to add on the SSAO / HBAO. SSAO in its vanilla form can be very light on the machine but HBAO is a completely different beast. It was a massive hog in BC2 and I'm sure it will be in BF3 as well, hence all the SLI talk on maxed out.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_580_video_card_review/7

"Battlefield: Bad Company 2 remains a great game to test with as it is still demanding at high resolutions. The HBAO quality option is a performance hog"

And you'll see this mentioned pretty much everywhere, HBAO is really demanding.

It was, but I think it's pretty light in Witcher 2 no? Relatively light, it was horrible in BC2.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
kxmDK.png

oh the joy of graphic options

Damn there are alot of stuff I am going to lower to play smoothly.

AMD Athlon II X-3 445 3.1Ghz
4GB sys ram
Geforce 460 GTX OC 1Gb

Display native resolution: 1680x1050

Sethos

Banned
Manager said:
It was, but I think it's pretty light in Witcher 2 no? Relatively light, it was horrible in BC2.

In Witcher 2 it's just basic SSAO, so performance hit is on the minimal side.

HBAO is DICE's own take on SSAO and it's a pig.

So maybe there's a bog standard SSAO hidden in those settings for a light performance hit, though I'm still sure with highly detailed LOD models it's going to take a pretty good hit, especially if you max out the rest.

Bru

My GTX580 is ready but I'll be stuck at work when the beta lands.

I'll be watching the office clock like a hawk!

Manager

Sethos said:

So maybe there's a bog standard SSAO hidden in there for a light performance hit.

Ah okey, thanks. Will be interesting to see the hit in BF3.

Smokey

Sacrifice nothing. All ultra settings, max AA and still >60fps. I'm confident in this especially with Nvidia's new driver release today.

woober

Juancho9 said:
I thought the beta had its settings locked no? Or medium was the highest?

You mean alpha? I heard everything was locked on low except for effects, or something like that.

Yeah, I remember they were locked in the alpha, but I could have sworn reading a twitter response from a dev saying the graphics were locked on a medium setting.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sethos said:

So maybe there's a bog standard SSAO hidden in those settings for a light performance hit, though I'm still sure with highly detailed LOD models it's going to take a pretty good hit, especially if you max out the rest.

HBAO isn't only DICE. It's also in Call of Prypiat.

Sethos

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
HBAO isn't only DICE. It's also in Call of Prypiat.

Okay, my bad.

Point still stands.

Was actually having a laugh googling it, it's nothing but pages upon pages of people saying it cuts their performance in half, makes the game unplayable, performance hog etc. etc.

Arcipello

dragonelite said:
So im from holland and if i preordered bf3 from origin do i get early access?
I heard the action was for us only.

too late im afraid... it was only for people who pre-ordered BEFORE the 25th

TheExodu5

Banned
Sethos said:
Okay, my bad.

Point still stands.

Was actually having a laugh googling it, it's nothing but pages upon pages of people saying it cuts their performance in half, makes the game unplayable, performance hog etc. etc.

SSAO really depends on the implementation. Take a look at Amnesia, for example. If you use 4 SSAO samples, there is almost no performance hit and the game looks great. Bring that up to 128 samples and even the beefiest of systems slows to a crawl.

SSAO has been having less and less of a performance hit nowadays. I think consoles are mainly to thank for that, since many console games are now shipping with SSAO.

Sethos

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
SSAO really depends on the implementation. Take a look at Amnesia, for example. If you use 4 SSAO samples, there is almost no performance hit and the game looks great. Bring that up to 128 samples and even the beefiest of systems slows to a crawl.

SSAO has been having less and less of a performance hit nowadays. I think consoles are mainly to thank for that, since many console games are now shipping with SSAO.

We'll see.

jaaz

What about Hi-Res textures? Assuming those won't be in the beta, but will they be in the game at launch or is through a post-launch patch?

Emily Chu

Banned
vidal said:
Mmmmm, I predict plenty of unwarranted bitching over the PC beta's server browser.

not rly battlelog during the alpha was perfect to be honest

go on site, log in

view servers, click, launches right into game

gun in hand ready to rock & roll

LQX

Can they possibly make changes to the games code in 15 days after the BETA drop? Seems impossible.

vidal said:
Mmmmm, I predict plenty of unwarranted bitching over the PC beta's server browser.

If the Alpha was any indication, I'll be praising it!

Menelaus, very nice! Looks like the HDR/white light is toned down:

tybA9.jpg

Sethos

Banned
Oh by the way, I hope for the love of god and everything that is holy they fixed the damn Joystick input. I couldn't play as infantry with my flight stick connected in BC2, I'd just be stuck spinning around.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Metalmurphy said:
Repi said we would get more options then the alpha, didn't expect that many. Sweet!

I'm willing to bet that 9/10 visual settings are in, I can only think of tessellation and maybe ultra-high res textures (?) that's not in.

Spl1nter

desu said:
Wow, we getting the new revision of the map, or at least a changed one. This http://i.imgur.com/4ehMjh.jpg is totally different from the alpha.

First spot on on first map has been changed as well: http://i.imgur.com/EgBuGh.jpg

Ya that approach is definitely a lot easier for the attackers now which is good. Looks like the mcom is also easier to arm.

Also have to say that the POV they are using looks a lot more like the head than from the chest than most other games.

woober

Corky said:
I'm willing to bet that 9/10 visual settings are in, I can only think of tessellation and maybe ultra-high res textures (?) that's not in.

I would think so too. I don't think they'd bother sending over ultra-high res textures for a beta considering how big the file size would get.

Top Bottom