• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Snipers will have Scope Reflection & Sway

RedSwirl said:
I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a camper. I'm just not good with up-close combat with human players, but that reaction happens because I wanna be sure I get kills.

What they need to go ahead and do is remove kill/death ratio for all modes except deathmatch. Only award points for objectives, saves, assists, etc. I think that might take away a lot of the reason to camp, or maybe just quarantine all the campers to deathmatch.
I don't get it: why do people care about K/D ratio? Is it really that important?

In almost all the objective-based online games I play, my overall K/D ratio is between 0 and 2. I've never given two shits about it since my number one goal is winning the match, and a few extra deaths won't ruin anything for me.

Games like Battlefield, MoH and Killzone are the worst offender. Everyone focuses on getting kills while I sneak past everyone to get the objective. I don't care if I die in the process; I just want to win!

Then there are campers who expect you to get the objective while they camp.

Win/Loss ratio is more precious to me than Kill/Death ratio.

I guess they should reduce the points awarded for kills and increase the points awarded for teamwork.

Jigsaw

Banned
useless,there will be enough blind angles on every map again where the enemy simply won't even see the flashing

ArjanN

Nome said:
I know, I was referring to how MW3 should handle snipers (the same way that Black Ops did would be best).

Sniping isn't a a problem in black ops because almost all the maps are a bunch of alleys. Usually when you see someone they're already 10 feet away.

spicy cho

Deadbeat said:
Such as C4 and mortaring and motion sensors. The game was better balanced with the 7 classes in bf2 than the 4 classes in bc2 because they now give each class too much power. Unless they do the classes system like 2142 its going to be a mess once again.
Based on impressions and dice's blog posts, the classes are lifted almost completely from 2142.

shagg_187 said:
I don't get it: why do people care about K/D ratio? Is it really that important?

In almost all the objective-based online games I play, my overall K/D ratio is between 0 and 2. I've never given two shits about it since my number one goal is winning the match, and a few extra deaths won't ruin anything for me.

Games like Battlefield, MoH and Killzone are the worst offender. Everyone focuses on getting kills while I sneak past everyone to get the objective. I don't care if I die in the process; I just want to win!

I guess they news to reduce the points awarded for kills and increase the points awarded for teamwork.
Apparently to majority of players it is. It even effects how people play the game, which is why I'm also in favor of getting rid of K/D ratio in all modes except Deathmatch.

If I had it my way I would opt to get rid of Win/Lose ratio as well, to get rid of people jumping out of the game before the game ends resulting in a stacked beginning for the winning team the next round.

Walshicus

FlyinJ said:
I hate snipers so much. It's not because I hate being killed by them. It's because they do -absolutely nothing- to help with the goals of the map be it conquest or rush.

What they really should do is make the sniper class something you have to earn in-match through completing team goals, and then only allow you to use it for a minute or two.
Snipers should be scouts with minimal offensive weaponry, designed to provide battlefield information instead.

Smeghead

shagg_187 said:

I guess they news to reduce the points awarded for kills and increase the points awarded for teamwork.

This x1000.

Seriously, if you are obsessed with Kill to Death ratio then take Battlefield out of your disc drive,throw it out your window and put in Call of Duty.

I get waaaaaaaaay more satisfaction winning a hard game of Rush or Conquest, than i do just aiming purely for kills.

I disagree about snipers no being useless, especially in Rush mode. A good sniper can stop people disarming crate from distance, but obviously too many snipers on one team is frustrating as hell and even more so when your struggling to arm the crates.

Ostinatto said:
this will not stop sniper campers

doesnt matter if they have scope reflection, cuz they are always camping from their own base or some other place far away from the action, remember ISLA INOCENTES?
No but it will make it easier for the sniper on your team to spot the enemy sniper without giving away his position. It's called counter sniping.

Gibbo

Yup I'm all for any move that would nerf snipers. nothing infuriates me more than seeing 4-5 kneeling down together in one place while the rest of the team charges to their deaths towards the objective

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
In pub games it's all about the KDR and score, can only do some much with the garbage that ends up on your team.

Smeghead said:
I disagree about snipers no being useless, especially in Rush mode. A good sniper can stop people disarming crate from distance, but obviously too many snipers on one team is frustrating as hell and even more so when your struggling to arm the crates.
I agree with you. I started off as an engineer but I quickly transitioned to a sniper after I saw the great potential of it in Rush mode.

1. Snipe off people who plan to plant the bomb.

2. Blow off the walls of the target (or the target itself) using C4 (my favorite part of being an attacking sniper!)

3. Throw sensors when defending a zone so that other knows who is around them.

4. See an enemy tank rushing in: call in mortar strike to stop it in it's tracks.

When I snipe, I make sure I'm in the heart of the battle doing more damage than any other class, but I quickly transitioned to medic once I realized it's fucking useless aiming to win when other snipers will just pick you off from the edge of the map; ands the fact that it's not fun having 10 snipers in a team.

Jigsaw said:
and you get rewarded for that in bc2 (high distances i mean)
Ugh! Don't remind me lol. Same reason why I stopped playing Medal of Honor. So much fun/potential but the snipers found a spot in every map where they could see the entire battlefield from the original spawn point, completely ruining the game with lack of attackers.

Luckily, BC2's maps are not that broken. Glad they added team deathmatch to BF3 and nerfed the snipers. Now people on foot can't complain, people who like KD ratio can't complain and people who don't do objectives can't complain.

sounds like fucking bullshit, but I suppose sniper haters are striking their bone right now

bleh. Won't stop me from camping the shit out of the game

Nome

ArjanN said:
Sniping isn't a a problem in black ops because almost all the maps are a bunch of alleys. Usually when you see someone they're already 10 feet away.

I was more referring to the lack of quick-scoping :p

angelfly said:
I for one am not happy with news. Snipers are supposed to be fucking campers and if you're a good sniper your not going to stay in the same position after a couple of kills.
Sounds like good snipers won't have any problems then: if you move around you won't suffer the scope reflection problem since that's only if you lie in prone for a period of time.

Mr. Snrub said:
Why on earth would you not have sway while crouched, but sway while prone?
For the same reason a body shot from a .50 cal isn't a one hit kill: balance. Neither makes sense but make the game more fun to play. Note that the 'no sway while crouched' thing is just speculation AFAIK though.

Deadbeat said:
Such as C4 and mortaring and motion sensors. The game was better balanced with the 7 classes in bf2 than the 4 classes in bc2 because they now give each class too much power. Unless they do the classes system like 2142 its going to be a mess once again.
That doesn't make any sense to me. If every class has more power then there are no balance issues, so what's the problem? If anything it makes more sense to give players more options because there's a better chance that stuff that needs to get done can actually get done.

Arnie

The more people kill me the more I want to win.

I remember one match on Arica when my team was generally brain dead whilst our opponents were dominating through a combination of good teamwork and overwhelming numbers. I'd taken a beating trying to defend to the best of my ability whilst my team mates attempted to snipe and just generally act in a selfish manner so by the final base I decided to hole up with an automatic shotgun and do my best. I ended up just wasting them as they entered the building and eventually we won.

Now their K/D ratio must've been astronomical compared to mine but I'm sure I got the most satisfaction by the end of it. Before that final base we looked a lost cause. I just wish DICE would incentivize winning more, maybe a 1.5 x point increase at the end of a match. Or maybe the objective bonus could act as some sort of multipler rather than a straight up addition of points.

endlessflood said:
Sounds like good snipers won't have any problems then: if you move around you won't suffer the scope reflection problem since that's only if you lie in prone for a period of time.

Good snipers are snipers that helps the team and lots of times in BF2 you need to stay lying down for a long period of time if the enemy is heavily attacking one capture point in conquest. You can spot enemies from the big buildings/hills and kill a lot of them way before any of the other team mates defending the point has any idea they are coming. Making the rifles reflect is just a really dumb punishment for a lot of players that are doing nothing wrong.

This is good news. Now they just need to make sure destroying vehicles as an engi gives you all the kills for people in said vehicles again. Without that there is absolutely not 1 good reason to play engineer. Man vs. tank is not fun when there is no possibility that I can at least get the satisfaction of killing everyone inside the tank.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Good snipers are snipers that helps the team and lots of times in BF2 you need to stay lying down for a long period of time if the enemy is heavily attacking one capture point in conquest. You can spot enemies from the big buildings/hills and kill a lot of them way before any of the other team mates defending the point has any idea they are coming. Making the rifles reflect is just a really dumb punishment for a lot of players that are doing nothing wrong.
Sounds like snipers have a pretty strong advantage in those situations. The reflection wouldn't negate that advantage, just make them work harder for their kills. Seems fair to me.

Azriell

The scope reflection is awesome, but I'm not sure how I feel about the sway yet. I'll have to see it in effect before I can form a full opinion, but my gut reaction is that it might be too much. Sniping is already pretty difficult, because of the need to account for bullet drop. If the sway is like that in CoD, where it's something like a figure 8, it will be hard to get it lined up. There will be a "hold breath" button, I would imagine, but.. We'll see. I have faith in DICE.

I do think, from a realistic stance, it would make more sense if you get scope sway unless you mount your rifle on it's bipod (that was announced right? Coulda sworn it was). Mounting takes a little time, and staying in one spot for too long gives the glare. But regardless, I'm sure it will turn out fantastically.

TheSeks said:
No. But you want to avoid reflections? GET THE FUCK UP AND GET TO THE OBJECTIVE YOU DUMBASS CAMPER. ARHGARGHARHGARHGARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH*foamsatmouthatdumbassteammates*

You have issues LOL! Recons are supposed to be spotting from the back and taking out the enemy from afar.

soultron

Banned
Azriell said:
The scope reflection is awesome, but I'm not sure how I feel about the sway yet.
I personally want this, especially as a person who plays Recon with a sniper. Coming from BC2, the bullet drop was a great addition, but sway should makes things more challenging -- and much more satisfying.

As somebody who occasionally snipes when I realize our team has few snipers or that we actually need the sniper help, this sounds like an awesome addition.

I like to rotate classes a lot so anything that makes them more balanced is good in my view.

Saige

I must do better.
Starfish_Oxide said:
They better bring the VSS back favourite gun of all time ever. Assault Sniping FTW
They better expand on this and make more varied unlocks for recon this time. Until you got the VSS your choices with recon was to play it like a long range sniper or an assault class with slightly better range.

If they are still combining the sniper role with the special ops role, then they should support both play-styles with the recon class. I felt they went far too sniper focused in BC2.

Arnie

soulassssns said:
You have issues LOL! Recons are supposed to be spotting from the back and taking out the enemy from afar.
Yes but you can class 1 kill in 5 minutes as "taking out the enemy from afar". There's nothing special about being 'afar', in fact you can probably kill more people up close than at 'afar', unless of course you're just generally pretty terrible.

I really don't and never will understand the whole 13 year old love affair with shooting people from 300 metres away. Sure it's a skill in real life but not when you're nudging an analogue stick or even easier aiming a mouse.

It seems there's a fallacy that taking out the enemy from a distance with a sniper rifle is a much greater achievement than at a closer distance. This couldn't be much further from the truth.

Neo Member
Even as somebody that plays a sniper somewhat frequently, I am for these changes. I think being a sniper is much more fun when you are acting like you would actually in battle. My favorite times have been providing situational awareness to my squad, and supporting them with kills when necessary.

My hats off to Dice for making it harder to play a sniper, hopefully it encourages more people to play the class in a way that actually helps their side win.

JMizzlin

I really hope that, now that they're being dicks about Sniper rifles, they don't put ANY sniper related MP achievements in the game.

10011101001 said:
Even as somebody that plays a sniper somewhat frequently, I am for these changes. I think being a sniper is much more fun when you are acting like you would actually in battle.

Actually in battle? As in a real battlefield? Because that would mean a hell lot more sniping from even bigger distances.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Actually in battle? As in a real battlefield? Because that would mean a hell lot more sniping from even bigger distances.

They should also force people who play sniper to camp out on the server for multiple days before an actual match starts.

endlessflood said:
For the same reason a body shot from a .50 cal isn't a one hit kill: balance. Neither makes sense but make the game more fun to play. Note that the 'no sway while crouched' thing is just speculation AFAIK though.

Shit, I'm 99.999999% positive that sway will be in while standing crouching. If anything, it will be a little less while crouching and even less while prone.

Arnie

Dark FaZe said:
Has the medic class been balanced? Was OP in the early stages of BC2.
Merged with assault. Frontline players now have the choice of a grenade launcher attachment or medic gear. Classes are more customizable this time.

TheSeks said:
Reflections can stay. But sway has got to go. No need for that bullshit with bullet dropping being in the game.

i don't mind either.

but let's be honest here. Sniping in Battlefield sucks due to the shit damage of the guns. If you're going to make being a sniper all that annoying in a BF game, at least give the guns some god damn oomph!

10011101001 said:
Even as somebody that plays a sniper somewhat frequently, I am for these changes. I think being a sniper is much more fun when you are acting like you would actually in battle. My favorite times have been providing situational awareness to my squad, and supporting them with kills when necessary.

My hats off to Dice for making it harder to play a sniper, hopefully it encourages more people to play the class in a way that actually helps their side win.

so you say you actually did help your team when playing as the old sniper, then welcome shitty changes that would actually make you help your team. Either you didn't help or you disagree with the change

such shitty decisions have been made because there's a fucking lot of anti-sniper ponces who can't accept being shot in the ass when they're rushing to the flag like motherfucking monkeys. EA listened to their gibberish and this really disappointed me

Arnie said:
Merged with assault. Frontline players now have the choice of a grenade launcher attachment or medic gear. Classes are more customizable this time.

Yeah, everything that's been said so far sounds like each class will have something akin to a skill tree, ala 2142.

Anasui Kishibe said:
so you say you actually did help your team when playing as the old sniper, then welcome shitty changes that would actually make you help your team. Either you didn't help or you disagree with the change

such shitty decisions have been made because there's a fucking lot of anti-sniper ponces who can't accept being shot in the ass when they're rushing to the flag like motherfucking monkeys. EA listened to their gibberish and this really disappointed me

All these changes mean is that it's going to take skill to be a sniper/has a higher learning curve. It doesn't mean they're going to be ineffective.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anasui Kishibe said:

This is horseshit.

90% of the time you have no offensive snipers who do nothing but sit back and relax while shit hits the fan. That's not to say there's anything wrong with defensive snipers when required, but it's nice to quit stat padding and help your fucking team disarm/arm an objective once in awhile.

I recently started using the sniper in BC2 offensively with a mortar/shotgun combo and I've been very successful. This is the perfect nudge for those worthless, stat-padding dipshits.

belvedere said:
This is horseshit.

90% of the time you have no offensive snipers who do nothing but sit back and relax while shit hits the fan. That's not to say there's anything wrong with defensive snipers when required, but it's nice to quit stat padding and help your fucking team disarm/arm an objective once in awhile.

I recently started using the sniper in BC2 offensively with a mortar/shotgun combo and I've been very successful. This is the perfect nudge for those worthless, stat-padding dipshits.

so basically, a defensive class (because being a sniper means you are a defensive class) needs to become offensive because the other 19 close quarter combat members of the team can't conquer a shitty flag. I can jump into a jeep if I feel like it but if my combat skills are worth less than zero because I'M A SNIPER I don't really know if my presence will be meaningful or not. This is bullshit, actually

Arnie

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, everything that's been said so far sounds like each class will have something akin to a skill tree, ala 2142.
Aye, which is why I'm so excited because we all know 2142 has the best class system of the entire franchise.

Anasui Kishibe said:
so basically, a defensive class (because being a sniper means you are a defensive class) needs to become offensive because the other 19 close quarter combat members of the team can't conquer a shitty flag. I can jump into a jeep if I feel like it but if my combat skills are worth less than zero because I'M A SNIPER I don't really know if my presence will be meaningful or not. This is bullshit, actually

Well said

LMAO @ Offensive Sniper

Yo Gotti

Banned
The endless FPS Sniper Debate. Awesome.

People will still find ways to be amazing with the sniper. It's impossible to totally gimp the weapon, the entire purpose of the Sniper is to shoot without being seen. I play Sniper about 50/50 and I welcome the changes. Play better and you'll be sniped less often.

This change will probably make good snipers even more deadly, as non-snipers will always be looking out for whatever cheesy glare effect they use. The mobile, strategic Sniper will be just as invisible as before.

J-Rzez

No DICE, I'll still snipe if you want me to or not. I'll still support my team by spotting and taking out the enemy before they get in range of my teammates to stop them.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anasui Kishibe said:

I guess I could have used the word "recon" as I was speaking for the class. If you hadn't noticed, there are more than sniper rifles that can be used by the recon class.

I qualified my statement by saying "most" recon players do not have the teams interest in mind, typically during Rush. This really isn't debatable. Anyone who's been playing BC2 for even a short while can see this. It's even worse on consoles.

I can't be any clearer. I never said I expect recon to be offensive 100% of the time, or that it's their duty to carry the weight of other slackers on the team, but there is a TEAM focused element (again more applicable to Rush) so as a teammate, you're expected to look out for not only yourself.

Brannon

I wonder...

Can the devs make it so that if a third or or more than a third of your kills came from any use of the sniper rifle, then your K/D ratio won't count for that match?

Brannon said:
I wonder...

Can the devs make it so that if a third or or more than a third of your kills came from any use of the sniper rifle, then your K/D ratio won't count for that match?

Of course they can. But they shouldn't.

Top Bottom