• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Player count is actually higher than usual.

According to BF4stats.com (which isn't official), there's been 50,000 unique players in the last 24 hours. That's more than the usual 35,000 or so for the past several months.

It's a great community.

That's great to hear. Grabbed the premium edition in the recent psn sale, so I'm looking to put in some hours over the summer!

My friends jumped into the game when it went on sale a couple of weeks back, but I've been playing since launch. We've been having a great time with it. Now that Final Stand is free, we'll likely see a bit more of those maps being played and I'll have a better chance at getting those dog tags.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

According to BF4stats.com (which isn't official), there's been 50,000 unique players in the last 24 hours. That's more than the usual 35,000 or so for the past several months.

It's a great community.

That's a peak concurrency number, not a total number of users per 24 hours number.

That means that there were 50,000 unique people playing at the same time.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

It's a great community.

Probably thanks to it being $10 two weeks ago, plus the free expansion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does the PS4 version still have a bunch of players? Thinking about picking this up on PS4, last time I played was like 1st month when this game came out on PC. That BF1 hype is getting me lol

Everytime this is asked:

YES <Insert Battlefield entry here> IS STILL BEING PLAYED!

"But what about Battlefield 2, surely that was shu--"

Battlelog for Battlefield 2.

"1942?"

Works on the same service IIRC, or the Origin version was fixed. Have to check.

"2142?"

AFAIK it works on Battlelog for Battlefield 2, but I haven't checked. It may (along with Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2: Modern Combat) be the only BF entry entirely shutdown.

That's a peak concurrency number, not a total number of users per 24 hours number.

That means that there were 50,000 unique people playing at the same time.

AFAIK, those stat sites have a peak AND current (within like 5-10 min) player-count number.

I started playing this again on my PS4, and every server I join regardless of the bars is laggy, like I can lag through stairs and not run up them, haha.

Is there like ports I should open on my router for this now or something? haha

Mahonay

Banned
I started playing this again on my PS4, and every server I join regardless of the bars is laggy, like I can lag through stairs and not run up them, haha.

Is there like ports I should open on my router for this now or something? haha
Test your internet speed? This is not normal performance.

Also make sure you are connecting to servers in your region.

Test your internet speed? This is not normal performance.

Also make sure you are connecting to servers in your region.

Yeah, Im always trying to join a server thats in the US, a lot are east though, which isnt as close to me up here in Edmonton.

Its not unplayably laggy, it just happens now and then. I do get that little circled "!" up in the corner, it usually orange.

My internet is pretty fast, its not an internet speed issue, but Im thinking BF4 maybe wants some different ports open, I found a list and im going to try them out.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, Im always trying to join a server thats in the US, a lot are east though, which isnt as close to me up here in Edmonton.

Its not unplayably laggy, it just happens now and then. I do get that little circled "!" up in the corner, it usually orange.

My internet is pretty fast, its not an internet speed issue, but Im thinking BF4 maybe wants some different ports open, I found a list and im going to try them out.
Ah okay yeah you probably don't have a sever location very close to you. The PS4 speeds in general seem to be not that great so I can see why you'd be having some issues. Hope trying out the different ports helps you a little.

EYEL1NER

I was out of the country for a whole up until recently and didn't have stable internet, so I let Battlefield 4 pass me by. Before I left the US in 2012 though, I was putting a lot of time into BF3. I've been back for a good minute now and have been keeping my eyes on the prices for BF4 so I could jump on a good deal. I downloaded Dragon's Teeth on Xbone at the beginning of the month in anticipation of getting the game. I noticed a couple days ago that prices for BF4 were starting to trend upwards in a couple places, so I finally made my move and bought a copy on Friday.
Friday night was mainly spent installing the game, installing the patch, downloading Final Stand, and downloading all the free content. I managed to get a couple matches in but by it finally hit 6AM and I called it a night. Saturday night I was able to play from 10PM or so to 5:30 in the morning and fell in love with the game. Tonight I played from 11 to now, about 4AM.
I've primarily been playing on BF4 base maps, which just 1 or maybe 2 matches on Dragons's Teeth maps. Every game has been Conquest and it has mainly been regularly combat, but I have played maybe five or so matches as the Commander (after not being able to do anything at all with the gunship or cruise missiles in any of the other matches, I just scored three separate cruise missile kills in this last one!). I like playing as the Commander (especially when their is no commander on the other team, lol). Issuing promotions and dropping supplies feels good. All of my regular matches have been played as an Engineer, with one life in another match spent as a Scout/Sniper (didn't do so hot). My default Engineer-class gun and Heavy Tanks unlocks have been coming along nicely; I'm two unlocks away from the Javelin. I think I just hit rank 16 maybe?

Couple questions: Their has been double XP all weekend for me, but I cannot find any indication of why on Battlelog, like a "Double XP Weekend" announcement. What is the double XP from? I had a ton of Battlepacks upon starting the game, maybe 15 gold at least and some other packs. Where did they come from? Nothing gave me any indication as to why I had earned them. I know on the base map with the elevated train bridge there are mobile AA guns; are there any non-moving AA emplacements in the game? A map I played on with a TON of water and air craft carriers had some kind of emplacement on the front of a ship but it was just static and could not be used, which bummed me out because I had a lot of fun on Oman in BF3 sitting in the AA gun and fucking up jets and helos for 15, 20 minutes sometimes.

I think those are all my questions for the moment. There was a lot that confused me at first, like how Commander mode worked or what the divisions meant (still a bit unclear, my Engineer and Heavy Tank divisions are low still since I have little points in them, but somehow I am division 1 in commander with 50K points? I checked the leaderboards and people at the top of commander have millions of points, how did I make it in there?). Even how to change my loadouts and equip unlocks through me for a loop (has to be done in-game or on the firing range?! What???!!!). Luckily there are some good sites where people asked some similar questions or where people put up beginner's tips or explained how the BattleLog app works (now I've got to keep my iPad next to me and charged while playing so I can change loadouts).

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I really wish that I had been playing it as long as some of you guys and got to spend as much time with the game. I've got so many other games in my backlog, that I am in the middle of, that I also need to put online time into. I'm gonna try to keep playing throughout the summer though, especially since the rest of the expansions will drop for free. I do like the looks of BF1 a lot but after getting to play this game and enjoy it so much, I am going to miss the weapons and vehicles from this game.

Tubie

Couple questions: Their has been double XP all weekend for me, but I cannot find any indication of why on Battlelog, like a "Double XP Weekend" announcement. What is the double XP from? I had a ton of Battlepacks upon starting the game, maybe 15 gold at least and some other packs. Where did they come from? Nothing gave me any indication as to why I had earned them. I know on the base map with the elevated train bridge there are mobile AA guns; are there any non-moving AA emplacements in the game? A map I played on with a TON of water and air craft carriers had some kind of emplacement on the front of a ship but it was just static and could not be used, which bummed me out because I had a lot of fun on Oman in BF3 sitting in the AA gun and fucking up jets and helos for 15, 20 minutes sometimes.

I think those are all my questions for the moment. There was a lot that confused me at first, like how Commander mode worked or what the divisions meant (still a bit unclear, my Engineer and Heavy Tank divisions are low still since I have little points in them, but somehow I am division 1 in commander with 50K points? I checked the leaderboards and people at the top of commander have millions of points, how did I make it in there?). Even how to change my loadouts and equip unlocks through me for a loop (has to be done in-game or on the firing range?! What???!!!). Luckily there are some good sites where people asked some similar questions or where people put up beginner's tips or explained how the BattleLog app works (now I've got to keep my iPad next to me and charged while playing so I can change loadouts).

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much. I still remember when I first started and how much I binge played the hell out of this, I'm close to 600 hours played total right now.

The double xp weekends seems part of the Final Stand for free promotion they have going (they will eventually give all the DLC away for free from here until BF1 comes out). You can check news about the game at: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/.

The Battlepacks, I think you unlock 1 for each class service star you get and they've basically been randomly giving them away for free for years now, usually part of some community mission or promotion, or maybe they just give out a bunch to new players when they start.

I don't actually remember if the game has AA emplacements like the one you mention. I think the Final Stand maps do have some that can be effective against vehicles, one of those futuristic weapons I think.

Divisions is all based on how you rank compared to other players, so something like Commander which might no be super popular will probably take a much smaller score to get to Division 1, than something like the Assault class. You can check how your different stats compare to other peoples in more detail here: http://bf4stats.com/

EYEL1NER

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much. I still remember when I first started and how much I binge played the hell out of this, I'm close to 600 hours played total right now.

The double xp weekends seems part of the Final Stand for free promotion they have going (they will eventually give all the DLC away for free from here until BF1 comes out). You can check news about the game at: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/.

The Battlepacks, I think you unlock 1 for each class service star you get and they've basically been randomly giving them away for free for years now, usually part of some community mission or promotion, or maybe they just give out a bunch to new players when they start.

I don't actually remember if the game has AA emplacements like the one you mention. I think the Final Stand maps do have some that can be effective against vehicles, one of those futuristic weapons I think.

Divisions is all based on how you rank compared to other players, so something like Commander which might no be super popular will probably take a much smaller score to get to Division 1, than something like the Assault class. You can check how your different stats compare to other peoples in more detail here: http://bf4stats.com/
Thanks.
I looked at that News page but didn't notice before where it says "For news about Double XP and other blah blah blah, check the Battlefield Twitter." So I headed over to their Twitter and saw that Double XP lasts until tomorrow. Hopefully another weekend of it starts when the next expansion goes free in a week or two (assuming that is when it will happen if they keep the same schedule as they did between Teeth and Stand).

AndyD

aka andydumi
So just started playing this recently on PS4. I am encountering bugs in the campaign. Mainly scripting issues with things stalling and not triggering. Is this normal?

Should I just abandon the campaign and move to MP? I was just trying to get a feel for the game before i dive into MP against veterans.

So just started playing this recently on PS4. I am encountering bugs in the campaign. Mainly scripting issues with things stalling and not triggering. Is this normal?

Should I just abandon the campaign and move to MP? I was just trying to get a feel for the game before i dive into MP against veterans.

There were a few issues with the campaign but they have patched quite a few of them out. The most glaring issue was losing your campaign progress but i'm not sure if that's fixed? I was lucky enough to play through many times faultlessly (XB1). I'd say playing through it isn't a "must-do" but there are many weapons you can unlock by playing the campaign.
All in all it's my most played game. The MP is sublime, imo. Cannot wait for BF1...

AndyD

aka andydumi
There were a few issues with the campaign but they have patched quite a few of them out. The most glaring issue was losing your campaign progress but i'm not sure if that's fixed? I was lucky enough to play through many times faultlessly (XB1). I'd say playing through it isn't a "must-do" but there are many weapons you can unlock by playing the campaign.
All in all it's my most played game. The MP is sublime, imo. Cannot wait for BF1...

Thanks. The MP is a lot of fun in just the bit I tried out. I've logged so mnay hours on BF3 on PC I don't even remember, but never moved to BF4 until now. Too many games and not enough hours.

That said, I noticed I have a ton of cases/chests to open? Do they unlock things for MP? Opened a couple of community camo ones with odd animal camos.

The chests are known as battlepacks (if you knew this, sorry in advance). They can unlock weapon parts, optics, xp multipliers, camos etc so are well worth rifling through to see what goodies are within.

Mahonay

Banned
Thanks. The MP is a lot of fun in just the bit I tried out. I've logged so mnay hours on BF3 on PC I don't even remember, but never moved to BF4 until now. Too many games and not enough hours.

That said, I noticed I have a ton of cases/chests to open? Do they unlock things for MP? Opened a couple of community camo ones with odd animal camos.
Yes. It's all for multiplayer. Opening Battle Packs is how you get weapon attachments, camos, extra decals for your in-game player emblem, and XP boosts.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else getting a ton of framedrops recently? A few months back my rig could hold a fairly stable 50-60 on Ultra across the board, with deferred AA turned off, now I run a mix of high/ultra and it skips into the 40s a crapload on my 280X :(, doesn't matter if I use Mantle or DX11, although the latter seems to have way faster loadtimes. I wonder if it's because I've OC'd my CPU? The temperatures are just fine but I remember there being something weird in regards to BF4 on my computer and a specific bios setting that I can't remember the name of at the moment.

WillyFive

Anyone else getting a ton of framedrops recently? A few months back my rig could hold a fairly stable 50-60 on Ultra across the board, with deferred AA turned off, now I run a mix of high/ultra and it skips into the 40s a crapload on my 280X :(, doesn't matter if I use Mantle or DX11, although the latter seems to have way faster loadtimes. I wonder if it's because I've OC'd my CPU? The temperatures are just fine but I remember there being something weird in regards to BF4 on my computer and a specific bios setting that I can't remember the name of at the moment.

Maybe it's the specific maps? Even with the same exact gamemode, one map would be constant 60+ on Ultra while a different map would struggle under 20 fps on the same settings.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe it's the specific maps? Even with the same exact gamemode, one map would be constant 60+ on Ultra while a different map would struggle under 20 fps on the same settings.

Nah, Siege of Shanghai was the one worst off and ran at 50-60 previously, but now it's dipping to 40 constantly :\.

Jarrod38

Finally got the Bow but had to get it the easy way on Operation Outbreak. Just hope when Battlefield 1 comes out they don't do that stupid requirements for weapons.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fixed the issue, had to put in an older Mantle .dll file in the BF4 folder. Initially I did this to fix crash issues, but it fixed my FPS as well, back to 50-60+ on Siege of Shanghai now :)

neoism

i fucked up and missed the dragon teeth dlc for free but got last stand and have really gotten back into it... I still suck though. Hammerhead is my fav map now

i fucked up and missed the dragon teeth dlc for free but got last stand and have really gotten back into it... I still suck though. Hammerhead is my fav map now

Just my opinion, but you're not really missing much with Dragon's Teeth.
The Snowy Propoganda map can be fun, though.

People love those small maps like Pearl Market but they just are not for me.

Aters

Fuck commander and AC130. So fucking cheap. I hope BF1 can get rid of all these bullshit.

yeah they need to make the premium maps free everyone now so I can actually play the Premium playlists

I say this as someone who's had premium since day 1

and holy hell I still haven't unlocked the f2000 :(

What? There are so many Metro servers. f2000 is the one gun that people should have no problem unlocking.

neoism

ok sooo wtf...

why does the ace 23 take so much to unlock and everyone seems to say its awesome...

&#65533;&#65533; the iron sights are straight fucking garbage.. and it seems reallly week... &#65533;&#65533;
im tired of the an94 it seems like carbines are better wayy better.

Aters

ok sooo wtf...

why does the ace 23 take so much to unlock and everyone seems to say its awesome...

&#65533;&#65533; the iron sights are straight fucking garbage.. and it seems reallly week... &#65533;&#65533;

ACE 23 was too good they have to nerf it several times, and it's still a great gun, especially for larger maps and game modes in which AEK is not competent enough in middle to long range.

Don't use iron sight in BF4. All of them are garbage. There's a reason you have so many different red dot sights to choose from.

If you are used to burst fire weapon like AN-94, try M16A4. It's a great gun and many people don't use it simply because it's burst fire.

Levelcap made a series of youtube video recently picking up the best guns in the game. He used all the up-to-date data so I recommend you watch it. BF4's weapon balance has gone through so many changes that many old impression and comments are not valid anymore.

Tubie

ok sooo wtf...

They nerfed it like 4 times in its lifetime. In it's original form it was basically a fucking laser with decent rate of fire. Oh and iron sights are all garbage in BF4, especially compared to the CoD ones.

Just use the AEK-971, it's super accurate with insane RPM and range.

I personally love the SCAR-H. I have like 3600 kills with it, but it's a very hard weapon to master and the 20 round mag will get you killed a lot even if you perfectly handle it.

neoism

ACE 23 was too good they have to nerf it several times, and it's still a great gun, especially for larger maps and game modes in which AEK is not competent enough in middle to long range.

Don't use iron sight in BF4. All of them are garbage. There's a reason you have so many different red dot sights to choose from.

If you are used to burst fire weapon like AN-94, try M16A4. It's a great gun and many people don't use it simply because it's burst fire.

Levelcap made a series of youtube video recently picking up the best guns in the game. He used all the up-to-date data so I recommend you watch it. BF4's weapon balance has gone through so many changes that many old impression and comments are not valid anymore.

lol i dont but i had to for 10 kills to unlock cobra... also i do like the m16a4
ive been watching youtube vids alot...
holy shit Ravic is a god... ive tweaked all the options and it makes me sad im on ps4 but my gard that dude is fucking amazing... his chat reaction vids are hilarious....

They nerfed it like 4 times in its lifetime. In it's original form it was basically a fucking laser with decent rate of fire. Oh and iron sights are all garbage in BF4, especially compared to the CoD ones.

Just use the AEK-971, it's super accurate with insane RPM and range.

I personally love the SCAR-H. I have like 3600 kills with it, but it's a very hard weapon to master and the 20 round mag will get you killed a lot even if you perfectly handle it.
yeah the scarh is one of my all time favs in cod... shame the clip is only 21 but the damage is awesome never played much with the aek ill try it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man really been getting back into this the past few days, it's really fun, I love how my FPS got another boost when I removed my OC and turned off High Performance Computing in the bios :lol.

Conquest...

1221.gif

I stayed for the music tho. Who was the first track?

I've been getting in to this recently, even installed battlelog on my phone :O

I'm having issues though and any help would be massively appreciated. A quick Google turned up nothing.

Playing on PS4.

Basically the problem is I can't load in to games when I want. This problem only affects me(from the people I play with).

Me and my buddies make a squad and pick a server. Everyone but me loads in fine while I get the ~cannot connect to server ~ message. Doesn't matter whether I'm squad leader or not. This happens most attempts. Also happens when I play on my own.

I have a work around. Quiting and restarting works every time without fail. Can always join instantly.

But this sometimes leads to problems with full teams, etc.

Because the problem is always the exact same I thought there might be a simple solution. Any advice would be awesome.

P. S. I have good Internet/nat 200mb

I've been getting in to this recently, even installed battlelog on my phone :O

I'm having issues though and any help would be massively appreciated. A quick Google turned up nothing.

Playing on PS4.

Basically the problem is I can't load in to games when I want. This problem only affects me(from the people I play with).

Me and my buddies make a squad and pick a server. Everyone but me loads in fine while I get the ~cannot connect to server ~ message. Doesn't matter whether I'm squad leader or not. This happens most attempts. Also happens when I play on my own.

I have a work around. Quiting and restarting works every time without fail. Can always join instantly.

But this sometimes leads to problems with full teams, etc.

Because the problem is always the exact same I thought there might be a simple solution. Any advice would be awesome.

P. S. I have good Internet/nat 200mb

Id check what ports are needed for this game and open them. Most of the time issues like that are router issues.

RustCohle

Neo Member
Hey,

Looking for some people from GAF to play with on PS4 as none of my friends play. I played on 360 and got pretty high-ranked (up to ACE 23 CQB?), but now on PS4 I'm starting over with the muscle memory but no knowledge of the DLC (all of the DLC maps are new to me).

Looking for people with mics, preferably patient with learning the ropes of the new maps, and good people (sure that won't be hard to find).

My PSN is ISawSparks, hope to see you out there!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth just buying the base game? It's less than £4 ATM. EU PC. Also, is BF4 better than HL?

Is it worth just buying the base game? It's less than £4 ATM. EU PC. Also, is BF4 better than HL?

BF4 is much better and much more populated.

Also, the last 2 maps were free and are pretty good if I recall, so you dont really need the paid maps to have fun.

If I may ask:

Game is $5.00 on PSN

I played on launch, disliked it and sold it, But I know the game has changed a lot.

I want this mainly for the free DLC (Night ops, and 2 others including the older BF map remake and the community map)

I read a while back that one of the DLC map had bad performance on PS4. Was that fixed?

Are there lots of servers for these dlc maps? Because I dont think I liked the base maps much, and I dont want to spend any money on the map packs.

If I may ask:

Game is $5.00 on PSN

I played on launch, disliked it and sold it, But I know the game has changed a lot.

I want this mainly for the free DLC (Night ops, and 2 others including the older BF map remake and the community map)

I read a while back that one of the DLC map had bad performance on PS4. Was that fixed?

Are there lots of servers for these dlc maps? Because I dont think I liked the base maps much, and I dont want to spend any money on the map packs.
Performance is fine on that map, not any better or worse than the rest of the game.

There are many servers with dedicated 24/7 rotations of the free DLC maps, usually always populated.

The game has gotten so much better since launch, it basically went from being one of the worst Battlefields to the best. $5 is a steal.

Performance is fine on that map, not any better or worse than the rest of the game.

There are many servers with dedicated 24/7 rotations of the free DLC maps, usually always populated.

The game has gotten so much better since launch, it basically went from being one of the worst Battlefields to the best. $5 is a steal.

Done. I guess Ill hop back on. Should get plenty out of it for the 4 months it will remain relevant, until BF1.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
BTW are the TDM servers populated? I like the gunplay in Battlefield games but I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't like the vehicles, and can you play the objective modes without vehicles enabled?

Top Bottom