• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline delayed to early 2015 (January - March), Visceral explains why

jadedm17

This is great news, this will make me rethink buying it now when I planned not to before. Giving a game more time instead of rushing for a deadline is a great thing. South Park Stick of Truth was delayed multiple times but the final product was great (if you ask me).

Gator86

Who cares? If Visceral needs the extra time to make the game good, then this is a good thing.

I don't know why people are jumping to negative conclusions, especially after the beta reaction. They got a lot of negative feedback to the beta and instead of pumping out an unfinished game that likely would have made a good chunk of change, either way, they requested time to (hopefully) improve it. Good for them.

EDIT: As for "is EA turning a new leaf?" I don't know. But between this and their willingness to listen to almost ANY feedback through the BF4 CTE program, I'm liking what is going on with DICE and Visceral.

People are jumping to negative conclusions because EA doesn't have a rep of caring about game quality when they push stuff out the door. If Hardline was looking so bad that they had to delay it, it's not surprising people would assume the full title is pretty disastrous.

scitek

Is there a possibility of this being Visceral's last game if it ends up missing its sales target?

I should say, Star Wars being their last game. Forgot about it lol

Leyasu

Banned
The cynic in me thinks that perhaps they want to launch in a shooter dry period, instead of going up against some heavy hitters that are coming this year....

Mr.Batman

Banned
I for one and shocked.

It's a smart move in my opinion. The "extended mod" would have gotten very overlooked this holiday season. If they launch in a dryer period they might have a chance to pick up some more sales.

Oh yeah and stability...

EmpReb

Banned
The cynic in me thinks that perhaps they want to launch in a shooter dry period, instead of going up against some heavy hitters that are coming this year....
Heavy hitters? That is an understatement to say the least. Desinty if it has a good end game will ty up a LOT of peoples time, Then COD and then Evolve. ON PC too people are full force going back into CS like its the cats meow again. There is no hope for EA short of Battlefront and BC3. Hardline its a DLC being sold as a game even if its got the investment of a game its still has the BC2: Vietnam vibes and that is bad thing when you want $60 plus I KNOW the $50 for premium.

Kazerei

Banned
Good. I didn't have any interest in Hardline given EA's track record recently, but if they actually wised up and Hardline plays well at launch, I'd get interested.

There's actually alot of good games coming out in March but I don't think any of them are FPS.

Sojgat

It's a smart move. Destiny and COD would've destroyed Hardline this year. Combine poor sales of a new franchise entry with the negative backlash BF4's problems have caused, and it could seriously damage the brand beyond repair.

ZServ

Oh, damn. That's surprising, to say the least. I wonder if the success of the Destiny beta has impacted their timeline decisions or if this is truly a good will delay? Regardless, it's a good thing, as the game definitely needed some more polish.

Glass Rebel

I completely forgot that Hardline would have been up against Destiny and Call of Duty. Now this delay makes even more sense.

Visceral's death clock started ticking the second they shipped Dead Space 3.

True. It's sad what EA has done to Visceral. I just hope that Star Wars game they're doing gets to see the light of the day and plays closer to their strengths.

Honestly, I'd imagine the bigger reason is that late 2014 is looking more stacked than early 2015 at this point. Missing the holiday season is probably better than sending a mediocre game out to die by the hands of all the other shit coming out in the next five months.

NickFire

Well I never would have expected this news. Guessing now they will be changing the name to remove Battlefield from it. Cannot fathom EA going two consecutive holiday seasons without a new Battlefield, and two in one calendar year seems ridiculous.

Huh.

On one hand, good on EA for delaying a game that maybe wasn't ready to ship instead of what they did with BF4.

On the other hand, what possible work can they do to make this game not just seem like a BF4 mod? Cause while releasing in early 2015 gives it room away from CoD and Destiny and the like, it also means its releasing away from the Holiday sales rush and it means more time and resources being poured into the game, which has got to mean even higher sales expectations, right?

Add to the fact that now EA's only real big releases this whole Fall/Holiday season are their annual sports titles, The Sims 4 and Dragon Age? That just seems insane to me.

kuYuri

Remember when EA wanted BF to take away as much market share as possible from CoD? Then BF4 happened and they squandered an opportunity to really make it happen.

They are pretty much not challenging Activision in the shooter market this year. That's pretty shocking I feel.

This delay is a good thing for sure, but still shocked that it happened.

daevv

I don't mind as I wasn't getting it till 2015 anyway. If it's in the first three months of 2015 I'll most likely get it right away. I'll be finished with my Fall 2014/Christmas games by then.

Delays are generally a good thing, but I don't know if it's a smart idea to introduce new features so late in development. Can they add anything substantial in that time period that will also be thoroughly tested?

#3 I wholly support.

Big call by EA though. Missing out on that holiday dough.

Heavy hitters? That is an understatement to say the least. Desinty if it has a good end game will ty up a LOT of peoples time, Then COD and then Evolve. ON PC too people are full force going back into CS like its the cats meow again. There is no hope for EA short of Battlefront and BC3. Hardline its a DLC being sold as a game even if its got the investment of a game its still has the BC2: Vietnam vibes and that is bad thing when you want $60 plus I KNOW the $50 for premium.

"ON PC too people are full force going back into CS like its the cats meow again"

What universe is this?

Huh.

On one hand, good on EA for delaying a game that maybe wasn't ready to ship instead of what they did with BF4.

On the other hand, what possible work can they do to make this game not just seem like a BF4 mod? Cause while releasing in early 2015 gives it room away from CoD and Destiny and the like, it also means its releasing away from the Holiday sales rush and it means more time and resources being poured into the game, which has got to mean even higher sales expectations, right?

Add to the fact that now EA's only real big releases this whole Fall/Holiday season are their annual sports titles, The Sims 4 and Dragon Age? That just seems insane to me.

the sports titles will sell great, as will Sims 4 and DA:I

Either way, Lords of the Fallen needs help to sell. The publisher needs to start talking about it again and keep reminding us that it exists. It also needs TV ads at launch.

DOWN

Banned
Anybody else think EA was almost hoping for a reason to do this? To look like the company who cares about quality, to have Batllefield look like a franchise that gets quality time? And to get Battlefield a little more time to cool off from the backlash and then out of the competitive fall lineup this time?

Just seems like an obvious good PR move.

Ambient80

I will most certainly not purchase another Battlefield game. Dice/EA killed the franchise with BF4 IMO.
I'm terribly close to fully agreeing with this. I'll need a ton of amazing reviews to sway me into buying this BF after the monstrosity that was BF4.

Hardline just looked too much like a BF4 mod to justify the money. Maybe showing off some single player would have alleviated some of that criticism but it still would have been said. Personally, I hope they delay it past March.

Allforce

I feel like they fucked this game just by branding it a "Battlefield" game.

I think people would have been more receptive and gotten better word of mouth had it been announced as a new franchise from Visceral that focused on episodic police story and then the crazy Cops Vs Robbers multiplayer. I mean the concept is sound, people want that shit like Payday or Heat, it could have been exciting.

Instead we get OLOL MOAR BATTLFIELD? WILL IT WORK? LOLS. They shot themselves in the foot before the game was even announced.

I really hope that the single player campaign in this game is good. If this delay helps make that happen, it will have been worth it.

benjammin

Sucks that it's getting delayed, but hopefully it won't be a broken unplayable mess like bf4 was. If I didn't know better, I would think EA was learning from their mistakes.

ScoopEE

Neo Member
I really hope that the single player campaign in this game is good. If this delay helps make that happen, it will have been worth it.

But the single player campaign in the game was already supposed to be good. That's what Visceral was hanging their hat on. I think it's odd that they're going back under the covers to rework the SP side. The MP, Battlefield piece of course but SP? Just odd.

Top Bottom