• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline delayed to early 2015 (January - March), Visceral explains why

HowZatOZ

Banned
Figured this would be the case, Hardline was just far too similar to Battlefield 4, and to boot the public perception wasn't the greatest. Hopefully this means we'll get a proper cops and robbers game that doesn't involve exploding buildings all for some measly million dollar sum of cash.

NHale

I wouldn't be completely surprised if EA delays it again to Fall 2015 allowing for a much bigger revamp that makes it look like a full game and not a BF4 mod.

It would also allow for a re-reveal at E3 and that way create some hype towards the game because right now there is not much they can do to with the current path they are taking.

Like Owen Good said after the reveal, BF: Hardline is another NBA Elite moment for EA.

Hardline beta felt like 85% a Battlefield game and 15% a cop & robbers game, instead of say 50% BF / 50% cops & robbers. It's why people were calling it a mod.

The thing is, it's hard to fix. It isn't a bug in the code, it permeates the basic design. Maps and game modes would have to be retooled to fix it.

Visceral really are awesome. They are handling reception of this game really well, and seem very open and passionate about improving it in their updates.

Wasp

The only modes I play in BF4 are team deathmatch and domination. Does Hardline feature those modes?
No idea. Those are pretty much the only modes I play too.

It would be nice if they gave us a free-for-all mode too. That's my favourite mode in CoD.

Bombless

I'm guessing the preorder levels were bad and the general comments were "this is a BF4 mod" so they had to take action.

Varth

Visceral really are awesome. They are handling reception of this game really well, and seem very open and passionate about improving it in their updates.

Fact is, I don't think they will get the greenlight from EA to make whatever change is needed to steer this back into being a good game, since it would take erasing half of the trademark shit from BF4. I don't have a problem with it being a spinoff, but the way this is handled (starting from BF4 and adding mod level stuff) is a death sentence. Especially since the two identities of the game really clash.

I would not be surprised if this is delayed until the end of 2015 and DICE's next instalment (obviously BF5) is given until the end of 2016. Given all the issues with BF4 EA obviously doesn't want to repeat those mistakes, so it will give BF5 much more time in development, and I can't see them wanting to release two Battlefield games in one year.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Between Destiny and Advanced Warfare I'm guessing everyone's FPS needs are met and then some. The beta was really underwhelming.

Nyx

My guess is that they received A LOT of negative feedback on the gameplay and now try to save the franchise before it's even released by changing it up some more so it doesn't feel like a poor man's BF4.

Good on them.

The beta looked worse then Battlefield 4 and had half the player count on a map that was no where near as complex. The game needs more time.

The difference in reactions from the BFH Beta and the Destiny Alpha was amazing. Night and day.

Low pre-orders maybe?

plus huge competition in end of the year?

This holiday is probably the weakest in years for AAA. Its totally a pre order / public (lack of) response thing. The fact this very thread is only at 5 pages but open for hours tells you how little people even care.

Early next year is stacked way harder then the holiday.

so this is coming in march 2015 now and BF5 in october 2015? gonna be rushed!

Battlefront is next years other Battlefield 4 mod.

BF5 is probably 2016.

I'm glad this is the case. A delayed launch gives them time to squash bugs and improve stability as well as spend time tweaking the gameplay. There were some good concepts in the game from what I experienced in the beta, and then some obvious hangovers from mainline Battlefield that just don't need to be there. Bankrobbers do not use stingers.

It sounds like they'll have another beta unless I read it wrong; another good move, let people see the changes you're making before they play.

The flipside to this is that they miss the Christmas period, meaning the new CoD goes uncontested. It's good they don't need to rush it out to meet CoD but it probably won't sell as well going out in Spring.

Apdiddy

I'm glad they delayed it, maybe that will give me more time with BF3 and other earlier BF games (BF1943 & BFBC2) before EA mothball the multiplayer.

I didn't play the beta but I would honestly hope Hardline is more of DICE & Visceral's take on Payday than "Battlefield with police and criminals."

olimpia84

Can't believe they're doing this but good for them (and us). Hopefully EA learned the lesson and take the right amount of time to publish a finished product.

So basically the beta reaction showed them that their multiplayer was not as good and unique and would not make people switch to it from BF4 or Payday.

Skele7on

Banned
Jesus, this must have been a hard pill to swallow, but good I'm glad they did this as after number 4 I think by releasing a terribly unfinished game again would have been the last nail in the coffin for battlefield. take your time, make it good, I may even buy a copy then.

Cheech

I think calling this a Battlefield game was a horrid mistake. Upon playing it, it was obvious the core has no hope of living up to customer expectations of the brand.

Would not be shocked if it's cancelled, or released in the dog days of summer 2015 under a different name.

The real loser is the dev house tasked with making this whored out piece of shit. I feel bad for the people working there.

Very surprised they pushed it back. Expected them to just push out a broken mess again. Hopefully it turns out for the better. Playing the beta I disliked Hardline a lot. Many things felt off to me, and I enjoy BF4 quite a bit. I hope if they do another beta they include the option for Team Deathmatch because that is what my friends and I play most of the time. That is the only way to "convert" us into buying this one.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Delayed is a good thing hopefully. Maybe this time around they will focus more on quality assurance and control rather than just pushing something out for the sake of pushing something out. Surprises me though in a way because generally EA wants to compete head to head with COD...so what's the EA title going to be this fall that will compete with COD?

Pull it until Summer 2015. Retool it into something akin to Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, or BF1943. Sell the MP for $30-$40. Sell the SP as DL only for $20-$25. Sell the battlepacks and customizations. Give some maps and modes away, sell some. It would be the perfect Summer game. You'd probably sell a lot more, and it would help overcome the hestitation of people who still feel burned by BF4. Otherwise it's very likely you're gonna get creamed by everything else coming out, and this will be the lowest-selling BF ever made.

Tookay

I think calling this a Battlefield game was a horrid mistake. Upon playing it, it was obvious the core has no hope of living up to customer expectations of the brand.

Would not be shocked if it's cancelled, or released in the dog days of summer 2015 under a different name.

The real loser is the dev house tasked with making this whored out piece of shit. I feel bad for the people working there.

Not a chance. Even in its somewhat messy state, the BF name still has more value than something titled "Hardline" ever will

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the thing that gets me about the "Battlefield mod" commentary is that mods usually fall into one of two categories:

1.) Something extremely different. For example: Natural Selection, Dystopia, PVK, Alien Swarm, or Red Orchestra.
2.) Something made by one person as a portfolio item or a small learning project that varies very little from the base game is almost any way.

This game isn't really that different than BF4, but also isn't nigh identical. The "it feels like themed DLC or an expansion pack" thing always made more sense to me.

Alienous

I think the thing that gets me about the "Battlefield mod" commentary is that mods usually fall into one of two categories:

1.) Something extremely different. For example: Natural Selection, Dystopia, PVK, Alien Swarm, or Red Orchestra.
2.) Something made by one person as a portfolio item or a small learning project that varies very little from the base game is almost any way.

This game isn't really that different than BF4, but also isn't nigh identical. The "it feels like themed DLC or an expansion pack" thing always made more sense to me.

Really? It seems very mod-like to me in concept and execution.

Sort of like Battlefield 2's Project Reality, or the Star Wars COD4 mod.

I could totally see a growing team of modders making a police vs. thieves version of Battlefield 3/4. And, sadly, I'd imagine it'd be much the same quality as what we've seen from Hardline. Simple reskins, lower quality animations, shitty HUD text. It seems so mod-like in quality.

An expansion pack would add, not change. The final BF3 DLCs were expansion packs, I'd say. Hardline's multiplayer is one of the most mod-like coming to retail games I've ever seen.

If they did have high preorder numbers and Destiny wasn't around to steal all the thunder then I'm sure they would have had no problem selling us another broken half assed game. I'm glad it didn't work out for them.

Majanew

Banned
I guess the delay means EA is more scared of investors than COD, this year.

Hopefully the delay gives Visceral time to greatly improve the graphics. It's ugly.

Not surprised... They probably only were only able to fully start working on it until after DS3 shipped, so at least they'll have had two years to make it. They've always engineered technically competent games on a pretty efficient schedule, so I don't think fans should be worried about something like the mess DICE made last year.

Really? It seems very mod-like to me in concept and execution.

Sort of like Battlefield 2's Project Reality, or the Star Wars COD4 mod.

I could totally see a growing team of modders making a police vs. thieves version of Battlefield 3/4. And, sadly, I'd imagine it'd be much the same quality as what we've seen from Hardline. Simple reskins, lower quality animations, shitty HUD text. It seems so mod-like in quality.

An expansion pack would add, not change. The final BF3 DLCs were expansion packs, I'd say. Hardline's multiplayer is one of the most mod-like coming to retail games I've ever seen.

Would you consider Bad Company 2: Vietnam to be a mod? A couple new vehicles, new weapons, new player skins, 4 new maps. Otherwise, no new game modes, almost exact same HUD, etc.

DWinn7

Figured this would be the case, Hardline was just far too similar to Battlefield 4, and to boot the public perception wasn't the greatest. Hopefully this means we'll get a proper cops and robbers game that doesn't involve exploding buildings all for some measly million dollar sum of cash.

^^^^Yep...

I played the Beta a few times and eventually deleted it. It felt way too similar to Battlefield. It lacked its own identity/unique touch. Plus, the game modes were just sporadic and meh lol

Top Bottom