• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline officially announced (Visceral, new series, MP/SP, Fall 2014)

Naked Lunch

Sounds very interesting. Vehicles in this type of setting will be very unique. I still wont consider it a real Battlefield though with no DICE at the helm.

Being that this is modern times, I really hope the main Battlefield line returns to World War II or even WWI. I need to see that era in the frostbite engine. I can just picture the weather effects like rains in the pacific and snowstorms in the forests of Europe. On the gameplay end - it will do away with all that vehicle lock on nonsense.

Robertto

Neo Member
well defiantly not buying. they fucked me so hard on BF4, and didnt give me a refund. BF4 barely works and when it does imo its actually gameplay wise their weakest effort since Bad company 1. i really dont like the way EA conducts their business.

CoD comes out every year but it is always polished to a point where its ready to go day one, and it is really a very full feature game every year, and doesnt smell with nickel and diming the way BF has.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think I'm gonna get hyped for this.

It's different enough for a BF game and not made by DICE. So it has a decent chance of not being a beta for 5 months.

And Visceral made some decently fun games in the DS series. I particularly enjoyed 3's co op. The theme and game play potential in this game already has me at least as interested as the conventional BF games and as you noted, it's different.

Archpath1

I hope it'll capture the feeling of those heist type movies, feels great when a job goes of without a hitch, or when it goes to complete shit with crazy firefights

Mmmmmmm

Don't usually buy Battlefield games (usually go with that other yearly FPS) but this being from Visceral and also not being military has me very interested. Look forward to hearing more and am definitely thinking Day 1.

Now next year is Bad Company 3 right? I wanna come back to you BF.

Kydd BlaZe

Fuck yeah! Super stoked for this! Glad they finally came out and officially announced it after all the leaks. Really interested in seeing how Visceral does with this. As much as I love Dead Space, it's nice to see them develop something else for a change (yes I'm aware of Dante's Inferno).

Shmuppers

I've never been able to understand it, but that stupid blue/orange filter they splatter all over recent Battlefield games gets me so un-hyped.

I don't care for the premise, and I don't really need a new Battlefield game every year. I'll just keep playing 4 until DICE's new game comes out.

It sounds cool, I just hope nobody here is dumb enough to buy it day 1. BF4 is totally solid now, but all the horror stories of launch really put me off from buying it for a while.

Sayers

Is it cynical of me to expect this shit to play like every other "modern warfare" FPS?

I'll go a step further and say the only reason the conversation happened was because EA told visceral "you're making a battlefield game next or everyone is fired."

So EA puts The battlefield name on a game that has nothing to do with battlefield, for brand recognition after they tarnished the battlefield name with battlefield 4?

Fuckin EA

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I understand why EA would slap the "Battlefield" moniker onto this instead of making it a new IP, but I still don't like it. For me, BF means expansive maps, heavy vehicle gameplay, and large-scale Conquest. Going by the cops 'n robbers theme, I don't see how this game could provide any of those. I don't want to support further dilution of the Battlefield name.

Leb

I've put several hundred hours into BF4 and have definitely enjoyed myself... but am I being unreasonable if I find myself a little reluctant to buy another BF game when the previous game is still plagued with numerous issues of varying severity?

I think BF4 was definitely my last $60 BF game. If this one doesn't suck, I'll pick it up during the first 50% off sale.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Next up: "Love in the Battlefield". First person dating sim.

I'd buy that, gay (b)romance option as standard? Yes plz.

"It's it's not like I wanted to r-re-resupply you, idiot."

Nori Chan

Where have you been? It's been Annual since BC2.

BC2->Vietnam next year->BF3 next year->DLC packs for 3 next year/4 in development->4 launched shortly after 3's DLC support ends->4's DLC support/Hardline developed->Hardline...

So is this an extension to 4?

RoKKeR

I just remembered that Visceral actually makes competent single player games... could be a real change for this series!

Either way, they lost a lot of good will with the release of BF4 and even as a big fan of the franchise, I really am not interested in picking this up. Will try to resist the hype.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is this an extension to 4?

No, new title. Think "Vietnam" expanded into it's own title, and you're halfway there.

But in a summary fashion: Yes, it's an "extension" to 4 in regards to dev->release time. If DICE wasn't five-fingers-in-five-pies in development right now, I'd wager they'd have BF5 in pre-production/release mode to release next year. This "extension" is just EA side-stepping to release in a year fashion like the old "Treyarch/Infinity Ward" swapping of the yearly CoD titles.

StUnNeR H2K

Everyone be sure to keep playing BF4 - we need to keep breaking it so they can fix this one!

will not be buying day one, will wait for the price drop that follows the holiday

Joeki11a

Banned
I just remembered that Visceral actually makes competent single player games... could be a real change for this series!

Either way, they lost a lot of good will with the release of BF4 and even as a big fan of the franchise, I really am not interested in picking this up. Will try to resist the hype.

FPS is all about Multiplayer...

BF is all about Multiplayer

Pennybags

No tanks? Day 1

There are still armored vehicles. When it comes to gameplay, they'll probably be tanks without big splashy cannons.

On a sidenote, I have a feeling based on the rumored CS-style "weapon shop" that at least one of the gamemodes will deal with an escalation of force and available equipment as time goes on/objectives are reached, leading to all-out warfare in the streets.

Andodalf

Banned
How will mp work? Surely not two spawn points and everyone rushes to die in the middle, which is basically how other fps games work.

Pennybags

How will mp work? Surely not two spawn points and everyone rushes to die in the middle, which is basically how other fps games work.

From what we have to go on ATM, several different gamemodes.

TDM
Heist
Blood Money (no idea, buy your weapons?)
Turf War (probably their conquest analogue)

Might be leaving some out.

Grief.exe

Would make a lot of sense if modes were like Counter-Strike, you die you sit out the round.

Of course, Battlefield has reviving mechanics to keep people in the fight.

Battlefield being my yearly shooter, I'm definitely excited for this. Sounds like a cool concept, well see how it plays out, but I'm really interested to see something new for once. Good on EA to do something different rather than another modern Battlefield with the same old same old.

Top Bottom