• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline officially announced (Visceral, new series, MP/SP, Fall 2014)

well defiantly not buying. they fucked me so hard on BF4, and didnt give me a refund. BF4 barely works and when it does imo its actually gameplay wise their weakest effort since Bad company 1. i really dont like the way EA conducts their business.

CoD comes out every year but it is always polished to a point where its ready to go day one, and it is really a very full feature game every year, and doesnt smell with nickel and diming the way BF has.

you serious...

EA gave you a 24 hour refund from 1st boot on BF4.... you should have taken it

That, or 7 days from download completion (no boot)

Grief.exe

The whole website and press release is conveniently ready the day information leaks. What impeccable timing.

The leak initially stemmed from information someone dug up in Battlelog. Looks like EA was readying material for the unveiling anyways. Leak just pushed up their plans a bit.

I am so hyped for this game. After playing Destiny multiplayer and being totally underwhelmed I am really looking forward to something more open and large-scale for the fall.

Where did you play Destiny multiplayer?

Andodalf

Banned
From what we have to go on ATM, several different gamemodes.

TDM
Heist
Blood Money (no idea, buy your weapons?)
Turf War (probably their conquest analogue)

Might be leaving some out.

Ugh, team death match would be terrible for a cops and robbers game!

Would make a lot of sense if modes were like Counter-Strike, you die you sit out the round.

Of course, Battlefield has reviving mechanics to keep people in the fight.

But perma death might make it work! I will hope for that!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I hope its like swat 4.

If I shoot you in the leg you should slow down. Shoot you in the hand to impair your aim. Be able to detain criminals or release my criminal buddies.

Half strategic fps, half twitch shooter. No perks, just pepper spray and zip ties.

Yes.

Actually excited for this. I was about to hang myself in boredom if it was just another modern/slightly advanced military shooter. And because Visceral is developing the singleplayer might have some thought put into this time or crazier yet, be longer than 4 hours.

Ateron

Right now the only reason I'm kind of hyped about this is the fact that DICE isn't making this game. Visceral are pretty competent so I'm not worried on the technical front (graphics and performance). What I'm worried is how the game will run online. If it's the same clusterfuck as BF4, then I'm out.

After the BF4 fiasco I said to myself I would never ever give them my money again, still feel stupid for buying premium for such a broken game.

Cautiously optimistic,but I will still wait a month or two after release to see some people's impressions of the game. Don't care how pretty or awesome it may look when revealed, if the multiplayer performs poorly i'm not getting burnt twice.

I've been yearning for BF BC3 for years, and while this is not exactly the same, it will be a refreshing change of pace.

Please, please make sure to run the game on better servers and try to implement functional netcode, as I'm tired of being shot around corners and emptying full AR clips on the back of an enemy only for him/her turn around and one shot me with their awesome P226.

Andodalf

Banned
They will have the meat grinder in there for the Call of Duty players, but assuredly they will have a hardcore mode. Would just make more sense when paired with the setting.

Meat grinder is a really good term for that! How would it even work though? I mean the classic style of two teams running at each other just makes 0 sense, Imo.

Grief.exe

Meat grinder is a really good term for that! How would it even work though? I mean the classic style of two teams running at each other just makes 0 sense, Imo.

If we have learned anything the past few years, EA doesn't care about what makes sense or what would make a great game, just what attracts the widest possible audience.

I think you just went member by the way.

Ateron

Is this game based on actual heists performed by "professional" robbers vs SWAT or something more akin to urban warfare on small scale, like special law enforcement teams vs gang members ( favela gang members, or drug cartels in colombia)?

I've been out of the loop, I only know that this game isn't supposed to be BF5 with larger scale conflicts.

I'm in for the single player, if MP is decent that would just be a bonus.

I hope they at least try to incorporate some actual police procedure/use of force policy, and let you use pepper spray/tasers/verbal commands to control and arrest the bad guys instead of shooting everyone. But that is probably wishful thinking, this isn't going to be SWAT 5.

Rockyrock

I really hope they split up the series into new school/ old school BF games.

1 is smaller scale less serious BC type and classic is huge battles 128+ players like we should have had 6 years ago.

hate seeing crap like metro 24/7 servers littering the game.

Hype Level: OVER 9000!!!!

I grew up on this shit. Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear are my favorite online gaming moments from my childhood. (Does anyone remember MSN Gaming Zone xD) Rogue Spear had an expansion called Urban Operations with the best multiplayer maps of all time IMO.

My hopes are high this new BF game will bring back those feelings for me.

I am surprised at the expectations and hopes of a Rainbow Six / SWAT like game in these comments.

I really don't think Hardline has any chance of being like those tactical games all. Not from EA, not in today's market.

From what we have to go on ATM, several different gamemodes.

TDM
Heist
Blood Money (no idea, buy your weapons?)
Turf War (probably their conquest analogue)

Might be leaving some out.

From what I gathered here is every gamemode listed in the code that appears to be unique.

Turf War (Small and Large)
Heist
Blood Money
Bombsquad

Timu

I won't be getting this on day one, I'll await impressions 1st after what BF4 taught me despite being by a different dev.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The whole website and press release is conveniently ready the day information leaks. What impeccable timing.

It took them about eight hours to respond, and it's a four paragraph response and a key art, so I don't think this is especially crazy.

From what I gathered here is every gamemode listed in the code that appears to be unique.

Turf War (Small and Large)
Heist
Blood Money
Bombsquad
Elimination
Fireteam Survivor
Objective Raid
Sectorcontrol
Team Deathmatch Fireteam.
About half of those are actually Medal of Honor, which also uses Battlelog.

Blood Money, Heist, and Turf War (small/large) I believe are the new ones.

It took them about eight hours to respond, and it's a four paragraph response and a key art, so I don't think this is especially crazy.

About half of those are actually Medal of Honor, which also uses Battlelog.

Yeah. Okay. Makes sense. I played MoH but the gamemode names didn't stick.

Edit: if this is correct then only one is from MoHWF the rest are unique. Though TDM Fireteam could mean a few things and not necessarily be connected to a new game.

Edit 2: Elimination is pinging me back to Bf4 maybe a scrapped gamemode, and Objective Raid was in the original MoH. Though I'm not sure why MoH 2010 gamemodes are in Battlelog /:

Edit 3: and Fireteam Survivor looks to be upcoming or scrapped DLC for Bf4 as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah. Okay. Makes sense. I played MoH but the gamemode names didn't stick.

Edit: if this is correct than only one is from MoHWF the rest are unique. Though TDM Fireteam could mean a few things and not necessarily be connected to a new game.

Well Fireteams were the squad system from Medal of Honor, which made me think it's related to that: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-s-fireteam-offers-buddy-mode-in-multiplayer/

Objective Raid was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMn0m_AxhM

I'm not sure Elimination is actually from Medal of Honor in hindsight. It may have been a Battlefield 4 mode at one point though: http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-elimination/

J3ffro

I definitely am more psyched for this than I thought I would, but I'm definitely waiting for things to get ironed out before playing.

Well Fireteams were the squad system from Medal of Honor, which made me think it's related to that: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-s-fireteam-offers-buddy-mode-in-multiplayer/

Objective Raid was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMn0m_AxhM

I'm not sure Elimination is actually from Medal of Honor in hindsight. It may have been a Battlefield 4 mode at one point though: http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-elimination/

Yeah after looking around the only thing relevant is Bombsquad, and even then Defuse wasn't in the list so that could be it's log name.

kitch9

Banned
well defiantly not buying. they fucked me so hard on BF4, and didnt give me a refund. BF4 barely works and when it does imo its actually gameplay wise their weakest effort since Bad company 1. i really dont like the way EA conducts their business.

CoD comes out every year but it is always polished to a point where its ready to go day one, and it is really a very full feature game every year, and doesnt smell with nickel and diming the way BF has.

It works fine now.

Just the cheesiness of the idea being cops and robbers and the fact that it is a 2014 game we are just hearing about now..rush job?

You are aware that games begin development long before they are announced right? And it's a trend that announcement and release is getting closer and closer together, makes for a faster and more intensive marketing campaign.

This has been in development since when Dead Psace 3 shipped, which is a few years ago now. There's nothing rush job about this. It's a portfolio expanding game that's been planned for some time now. People really underestimate the gigantic machine that is running one of the worlds largest publishers, things are planned long in advance and these people are not stupid (no matter how angry you are at them for not reviving a specific IP).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just the cheesiness of the idea being cops and robbers and the fact that it is a 2014 game we are just hearing about now..rush job?

This is pretty much when you announce annualized entries.

Every CoD for example is announced in May the year before it comes out, even with their new three year dev cycles.

Shadey Snipez

Neo Member
i love battlefield despite the bugs with almost 400 hours in im ready to see what this battlefield hardline has to offer and i read that it got vehicles in there so this hopefully is not a close quarters COD. hopefully a bigger rainbow six variant to fill that rainbow six patriots drought.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
i love battlefield despite the bugs with almost 400 hours in im ready to see what this battlefield hardline has to offer.. well it got vehicles in there so this is not a close quarters COD. hopefully a bigger rainbow six variant to fill that rainbow six patriots drought.

On this note there is supposedly also going to be more Rainbow Six at E3, though it's Ubisoft so it might take another 2-5 years to come out.

I'm hyped. I genuinely think Visceral is a fantastic studio, although I know there's been a major expansion of the visceral brand and certain teams being renamed visceral *location, and so on; is this actually the team that worked on dead space/is that the star wars team/does that team actually exist anymore or has all the talent been distributed between the two? Anyway, yea, loved the dead space series, looknig forward to what these guys can do with the SP.

KainXVIII

Hope its TPS, but after Dead Space 3 faith in Visceral is vanished
wtzgU.gif

Roland1979

I skipped BF4 completely but because of the smaller scope i have a good feeling about it. I won't pre-order, but this certainly has my interest. They have a lot to show and proof at this point, however.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Right now the only reason I'm kind of hyped about this is the fact that DICE isn't making this game. Visceral are pretty competent so I'm not worried on the technical front (graphics and performance). What I'm worried is how the game will run online. If it's the same clusterfuck as BF4, then I'm out.

After the BF4 fiasco I said to myself I would never ever give them my money again, still feel stupid for buying premium for such a broken game.

Cautiously optimistic,but I will still wait a month or two after release to see some people's impressions of the game. Don't care how pretty or awesome it may look when revealed, if the multiplayer performs poorly i'm not getting burnt twice.

I've been yearning for BF BC3 for years, and while this is not exactly the same, it will be a refreshing change of pace.

Please, please make sure to run the game on better servers and try to implement functional netcode, as I'm tired of being shot around corners and emptying full AR clips on the back of an enemy only for him/her turn around and one shot me with their awesome P226.
I'd be more worried about server quality than netcode at launch. Although my intuition is that BF:H will be a much less demanding game than BF4 for servers. 64 player cops vs thieves, with tons of vehicles on each side wouldn't really make sense, thematically. I'm expecting a smaller scale here.

TheCloser

Banned
You know the name isnt clicking, why choose/ use "Hardline"?, why not something with more attitude more meaning.
Are you really surprised? This is the company that greenlit the name MOH: Warfighter. Warfighter? Are you actually serious? The name hardline is no surprise.

I'd be more worried about server quality than netcode at launch. Although my intuition is that BF:H will be a much less demanding game than BF4 for servers. 64 player cops vs thieves, with tons of vehicles on each side wouldn't really make sense, thematically. I'm expecting a smaller scale here.

I wouldn't expect that honestly. Turf War had 'small' and 'large' listed which is the same terminology used in Bf4 to differentiate between 24 and 64 player game modes.
Likely Blood Money and Heist are the big draws though as they are being shown off at E3.

They have to have 64 players on current gen or people are going to be pissy. I imagine even if visceral didn't want to have it in EA forced it.

ref

I am intrigued by it's premise.

However, after the BF4 fiasco, no way I'll be purchasing this day 1.

Nemecyst

Not gonna lie and say this isn't interesting, but isn't the Battlefield name going to keep some people from looking at it due to Battlefield 4 woes? Battlefield is certainly a very valuable brand, yet it seems this can hurt as well as help.

Top Bottom