• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Beta |OT| Sisters in (prosthetic) arms

Xaltiery

Neo Member
Honestly, i wanted to like this, and maybe others here can share my sentiment but it just feels kinda meh. I get that it's open beta and not the final thing but nothing really blew me away. It felt like BF1, nothing really stood out too me.

manfestival

Honestly, i wanted to like this, and maybe others here can share my sentiment but it just feels kinda meh. I get that it's open beta and not the final thing but nothing really blew me away. It felt like BF1, nothing really stood out too me.
I played a ton of BF1... this LOOKS like BF1 but doesn't play like BF1 at all.

drotahorror

Did you have to preorder this to get it working on PC? My friends and I all had to fill out a fake ticket to EA saying we had an invalid code which in turn, sent us a code. If we didn't do this, we could boot the game up, but all the options were greyed out and it said we didn't have early access. This was yesterday evening, quite a few hours after the 'open' beta started.

Last edited:

Winkle

Has anyone had problems starting this game on the PS4 pro? The game starts to boot up then I get a ce-34878-0 error. Tired re installing, re initialising etc and nothing cures it. I’m on the latest firmware as well. 😔.

manfestival

Did you have to preorder this to get it working on PC? My friends and I all had to fill out a fake ticket to EA saying we had an invalid code which in turn, sent us a code. If we didn't do this, we could boot the game up, but all the options were greyed out and it said we didn't have early access. This was yesterday evening, quite a few hours after the 'open' beta started.
That was an issue for me yesterday when I preloaded the game. I would restart your program or your computer so maybe everything refreshes? It is truly open beta. I haven't preordered the game

Would love to try the Beta but I keep getting error messages on xbox. I swear both xbox and PS store is SHIT. I have always had so many problems with both. What am I paying for?

/end rant

DonF

Would love to try the Beta but I keep getting error messages on xbox. I swear both xbox and PS store is SHIT. I have always had so many problems with both. What am I paying for?

/end rant
Where are you having problems? both the web store and the console store?

I don’t like the new health and ammo system. Too much looking for ammo.
that's what Im afraid of. Like who thought it would be a good idea to put little ammo in a freaking FPS? Yea I get it they want to promote more "team play" but what dice forgot is most players dont give a fuck about that and do their on thing.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Played one round and really liked it felt so much better than BF1, I don't know how to explain it but it felt like a world war 2 game. Gun play felt really nice after playing pubg FPS with out a lean feature just feels wrong.

if I didn't buy BF1 I would probably get this but even then when RDR2 drops that possibly might get most of my game time but on the other hand if its anything GTA5 it wont

manfestival

Just some other random thoughts from playing the game more. The gunplay feels closer to Call of Duty 2 than it does to BF1. Had a conversation with some people and they all agree. The gunplay is definitely improved there.

Side note: The words Nazi and DLC are censored. I don't even understand the reasoning behind this. I understand the profanity filter but why these 2 words? Is the current political climate so bad that we cannot even say nazi in a ww2 game??

cryptoadam

Banned
No spotting will take some time to get used to.

I am not sold on grand operations as compared to operations, but so far its only 1 map. I felt the same way with operations vs Rush but eventually ended up playing operations over rush all the time.

I am feeling a lack of vehicles so far, again maybe its the map I am not sure but I have yet to get into tank.

Woo-Fu

Banned
so that's 80% of the player base. That's not a smart decision.

But pulling numbers right out of your ass is? lol.

It plays like Battlefield, feels like Battlefield. The beta is in rough shape, they might need to delay it even longer. Lack of helicopters will probably cause me to skip it. Already suffered that with BF1. Kind of sad the last BF I could have fun in a helicopter was Hardline.

I've been playing as medic all day long and haven't had ammo problems, btw. Playing the objective means there is always ammo nearby, either from players I kill or stations around the flags.

Last edited:
No spotting will take some time to get used to.

I am not sold on grand operations as compared to operations, but so far its only 1 map. I felt the same way with operations vs Rush but eventually ended up playing operations over rush all the time.

I am feeling a lack of vehicles so far, again maybe its the map I am not sure but I have yet to get into tank.

Not sure how they fix it to be honest ....the issue it that people blend in with the maps....making the uniform not blend sorta defeats the purpose of an army uniform.

The snipers need the glint back to be honest...was in a few games last night where almost half the team were snipers sitting on hills

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It looks and plays great. I don't really like the ammo or health system though.

I only got to play one match so far. It didn't feel as chaotic as a normal BF game.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Not sure how they fix it to be honest ....the issue it that people blend in with the maps....making the uniform not blend sorta defeats the purpose of an army uniform.

The snipers need the glint back to be honest...was in a few games last night where almost half the team were snipers sitting on hills

It is hard to see and identify enemies. Also think as a BF player just used to looking for the dorito lol. Maybe some sort of hybrid spotting system, where there isn't a dorito but a slight outline around the player. Make them a bit more visible if you spot them but not a giant red mark on the map or bulls eye.

Haven't noticed the snipers, which probably means that they need the glint back.

zombrex

Trying playing last night of ps4 and could not even find a game.
Just endless matchmaking loop.
Joining from server list also failing.
Hopefully its working today.

But pulling numbers right out of your ass is? lol.

It plays like Battlefield, feels like Battlefield. The beta is in rough shape, they might need to delay it even longer. Lack of helicopters will probably cause me to skip it. Already suffered that with BF1. Kind of sad the last BF I could have fun in a helicopter was Hardline.

I've been playing as medic all day long and haven't had ammo problems, btw. Playing the objective means there is always ammo nearby, either from players I kill or stations around the flags.
Im speaking from experince of playing 5 battlefield games. Most players don't give ammo or health. Im about to play the beta now but I have my doubts

So far the game is ok. Like usual sound design is great. It actually looks worse than I remember BF1 to look like. I like the new revive system and ammo system. Gunplay is also good with shots actually feeling like it hits the target. But there is still something I can’t put my finger on about it. It feels very plain and lifeless. First BF game I’ll be taking a pass on. Maybe on a sale on a bored weekend.

Also some servers still have the rubber band lag just like bf1.

Last edited:

Just some other random thoughts from playing the game more. The gunplay feels closer to Call of Duty 2 than it does to BF1. Had a conversation with some people and they all agree. The gunplay is definitely improved there.

Side note: The words Nazi and DLC are censored. I don't even understand the reasoning behind this. I understand the profanity filter but why these 2 words? Is the current political climate so bad that we cannot even say nazi in a ww2 game??

I think they even removed the swastika. Or was that COD.

McHuj

Played couple of rounds and found it actually very boring. Kind of bummed me out. It felt empty in conquest. I still give it a couple more tries, but not really digging it so far.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This was... horribly boring. Figured as much given the shitty attitudes by the developers. Seems like they would rather put forth petty insults and microtransactions than provide a solid game.

DonF

I was ready to hate it, but I played with 2 friends and had a blast. There are bugs but I believe that the fundamentals of the game are solid. I hate the leveling up of the guns, its super uninspired and designed to consume lots of time. My muscle memory hit me hard when, as soon as I started playing, I started spamming the spot button. I havent played bf4 in years (skipped 1 entirely). Had tons of fun, but its half the game, half that I played with friends. The netcode is good...works better than overwatch, at least in my country.

DonF

So far the game is ok. Like usual sound design is great. It actually looks worse than I remember BF1 to look like.

Go to options> visuals. I disabled tons of stuff to get a clearer image. There is chromatic aberration, film grain, and like 2 other...also motion blur can be dialed down.

Codes 208

Go to options> visuals. I disabled tons of stuff to get a clearer image. There is chromatic aberration, film grain, and like 2 other...also motion blur can be dialed down.
This shit right here is very important. Devs setting this on as a default is a literal sin.

Last edited:

DonF

This shit right here is very important. Devs setting this on as a default is a literal sin.
Here are the settings...

agreed, its not my biggest pet peeve, but both chromatic aberration and film grain fuck the IQ so much. Even vignette...way too much image processing.

GenericUser

Played the Beta. First I had problems to even find matches. Eventually I got the chance to play a match on narvik(?). Don't know what I expected, but I was not impressed (aside from the graphics, frostbite still wows me). I missed vehicles, where are they? I've not seen a single tank, only a couple of planes. I wanted to pilot a Tiger Tank for fucks sake!! Apart from that, yep, it's Battlefield. I honestly enjoyed the Beta of BO4 a LOT more this year. Back to DQ11 it is then. Maybe I'll pick it up, when it's dirt cheap during next summer when I got nothing to play.

noise36

Had a go today on PC, looks grea and feels like a bf game.

I really just want to feel like I'm playing BF4 but with a new engine.

Snoopycat

Banned
They really should've gone full alternative and had some fun with the setting. Lasers, robots, Nazi flying saucers. Imagine Battlefield with Bioshock themes. That would be worth playing.

They really should've gone full alternative and had some fun with the setting. Lasers, robots, Nazi flying saucers. Imagine Battlefield with Bioshock themes. That would be worth playing.

I would have rathered something more alternative too.

They should add in a limited squad spotting that disappears after a second and doesn’t show on the map.I should be able to tell a squad mate that an enemy is “right there”. Placing that yellow shield marker isn’t helpful.

Tesseract

Banned
kinda hated what i've played, probably gonna stick with pubg until a modern combat battlefield sequel is released.

Pheace

I'm enjoying it so far. Wish there were more vehicles though. I used to love being crazed about destroying vehicles in BC2 but it's hard to in the maps we have right now. Have the most success taking down planes at the moment xD

PS: Did anyone else find the fluorescent whale?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Whats with the health system.

I don't like it. You are never sure when you are low, I don't know how long it takes for health to auto regenerate either. Your health bar can be red, but there is no visual indicators.

I am pretty sure that most of my 1 or 2 shot deaths were because my health was low and I wasn't auto healing. I at first just thought the other players were super good at aiming, but now it makes sense that I am low health most of the game.

Top Bottom