• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Beta |OT| Sisters in (prosthetic) arms

Not sure how it "blows out of the water" BF1 as they are very similar. If anything BF5 made some strange design choice like not giving you full ammo but you have to go grab it from the ammo box first...i mean for throughout the game ok but why give me only half ammo when I spawn?

Also, why cant i customize my weapons during a game before I spawn but instead have to quit and go to main menu and purchase, unlock AND THEN i can join a game in which i can finally put my new zoom sight on.

So far BF5 looks and feels more like a DLC, its literally BF1 with new maps. Im not hating on it but im neither excited about it. Will grab it on a sale for sure just not day one worthy like BF1 was.

Last edited:

Mojoraisin

I just can't get my head around your comment. You say you have been a BF fan forever, yet this will be the first one you miss. That's pretty weird, considering this blows BF1 and Hardline out of the water. :messenger_hushed:

Each to their own... I guess?
Yeah I guess so. It's just a feeling I get when I watch game play. I've been burnt on Battlefield before sure (Hardline was no favorite but felt like something different) but still love BF1 for example. I haven't seen anything so far that makes this superior to BF1. I also know a lot of people LOVED 2142 but I decided not to get it because it for above mentioned reasons. It came to soon after the wonderful game that was BF2.

Mugatu

I don’t get the negative comments I’m having a blast with the demo. I had 0 interest in this game before and only tried it to have a laugh at it but it’s so much fun and feels great overall.

TheContact

this is the best BF yet. I wasn't a fan of BF1. 4 was the best imo, but I like the changes 5 made. I just don't like the snow map =(

zwiggelbig

Not sure how it "blows out of the water" BF1 as they are very similar. If anything BF5 made some strange design choice like not giving you full ammo but you have to go grab it from the ammo box first...i mean for throughout the game ok but why give me only half ammo when I spawn?

Also, why cant i customize my weapons during a game before I spawn but instead have to quit and go to main menu and purchase, unlock AND THEN i can join a game in which i can finally put my new zoom sight on.

So far BF5 looks and feels more like a DLC, its literally BF1 with new maps. Im not hating on it but im neither excited about it. Will grab it on a sale for sure just not day one worthy like BF1 was.

Man.. I uninstalled it just because the stupid ammo thing.. absolutely ruins gameplay fun for me

McHuj

Eight maps at launch though and we've already played two of them????!???!!???

WTF even BF4 and BF1 launched with ten maps.

One of the things that caused me to drop of BF1 so quickly was the lack of maps. The release schedule was so slow. By comparison, BF4 had a consistent schedule for the most part with ~20 more maps in about 13-14 months post release.

Funny thing happened just now. I was in my sniper spot, picking out targets and out of nowhere that became a spawn point for the opposing team. Easy kills :)

YayNJ

Banned
I don’t get the negative comments I’m having a blast with the demo. I had 0 interest in this game before and only tried it to have a laugh at it but it’s so much fun and feels great overall.

A large number of the negative comments I've seen are from people that have either just watched players on twitch, which is fine, but you can't really "get into" the game mechanics like that, the gunplay / feel of the guns / sound design etc.. or have based their opinions on comments on Twitter. It's a pretty shitty situation considering that the game is genuinely great.

phyrlord

To me BFV is not Battlefield, it's CoD with a bit bigger maps and a couple of vehicles like World at War had. BF4 is Battlefield. It has tons of vehicles on the map at the same time, tons of tanks, jeeps, APCs, helicopters, jetskis, boats, jets heck even an AC-130. there was pretty much always a vehicle available to you if you wanted one You could go anywhere on the map, even on top of skyscrapers. It's actually hectic all out warfare which is what BF is supposed to be:

DICE fooled me once with BF1, they will not do it again. Especially not with such a buggy mess.

110% agree... BF4 is 'still' awesome.... I played the BFV beta and without all the tech/vehicles the game feels like 'Sniper Fodder 2018".

mitchman

Gold Member
110% agree... BF4 is 'still' awesome.... I played the BFV beta and without all the tech/vehicles the game feels like 'Sniper Fodder 2018".

This. Vehicles seems to be reserved for those people that can figure out how to get them to spawn and where they will spawn.

DonF

Exactly, the gunplay feels in control, responsive. I really liked it. I was in a game where the people in the tank went like 32-1. You can still destroy with a good tank. I feel like everything takes coordination. Need ammo, gotta have 1 support, need health, a medic, need long range fire, a spawn beacon or spotting, the scout. Need to destroy a nasty camper or tank, offensive. I really liked what I played. I disliked things out side of gameplay. The menu is shit, its dumb that you have to exit the game to customize your weapon or open new attachments, also assignment, same thing.
Gameplay good, menus and some UI/UX bad.

Pheace

Played it for 3 days and I still don't understand where the vehicles I spawn as squad leader show up.
After you've called it, when you're on the Deploy Objective screen you can click the little gear icon next to your home base, where tanks normally spawn and there'll be a special icon there you can summon the tank with that only your squad can spawn in.

I agree it's way too hidden, I just randomly found it like that.

The standard vehicle spawn is just on a timer I think (I assume it starts after the previous one is destroyed) and again is the little gear icon next to the home spawn, though it'll clearly say 1 if there is one available rather than the squad one which I think didn't show any change until I clicked on it

Last edited:

Narvik is really bad at this since snipers have such a large view of the map due to it being so small. Rotterdam is bad at this around the rail line. Whenever I play Narvik I pretty much just crawl everywhere, it's that bad because you have to be extremely lucky to run anywhere without being shot.

Like you know if you play Flood Zone on BF4 when you get to the rooftop fights you typically have a general idea which direction the enemy might be coming from. Or even Golmud Railway, where most of the action happens inside the factory buildings. Yea it's not like that in these BFV maps. I actually had a more enjoyable experience with Hardline's beta than I've had with BFV (Downtown was a pretty good map /shrug). I was just bored of Hardline's modern urban setting after BF4.

I think the game will mostly appeal to CoD players or campers. The maps were clearly designed for the types of players who loved Operation Locker or Metro. (Metro is still way better than Narvik and Rotterdam despite it being a fragfest)

edit: Rotterdam is even similar to Seine Crossing from BF3 with it's water canals, alley ways and similar architecture of buildings. Except the layout is way freaking worse. Go and play Seine Crossing then play Rotterdam and ask yourself what the better map is.

2nd edit :/

Last edited:

Pheace

Think I'm pretty convinced at this point I'll get the game. I'll wait and see what changes they plan to do in the coming months but so far I'm pleasantly surprised

YayNJ

Banned
This. Vehicles seems to be reserved for those people that can figure out how to get them to spawn and where they will spawn.

They spawn on your national flags, the one with tank icons next to it believe or not. You choose to respawn into them. I do believe the beta is reserved to one tank per side on Holland at any given time during the BETA.

EDMIX

Yeah I guess so. It's just a feeling I get when I watch game play. I've been burnt on Battlefield before sure (Hardline was no favorite but felt like something different) but still love BF1 for example. I haven't seen anything so far that makes this superior to BF1. I also know a lot of people LOVED 2142 but I decided not to get it because it for above mentioned reasons. It came to soon after the wonderful game that was BF2.

huh? Are you serious? BFV beta in terms of just gunplay kills BF1. I have over 100 hours in BF1, its not a bad game, but its gunplay isn't that fun, played BFV for a few hours and already love it more. Sorry but I don't like the whole crap with bullet sponges and prefer faster kill times as I only really play HC on BF games.

So gun play is better in terms of feel, faster kill time, game looks way better visually too. So if someone likes it more or less then BF1 is debatable, but its still a staple BF game.

Large maps
Class based
Squad based
Objective based
Vehicles
etc

So I'm sure many of us have a favorite BF and a worse BF, but I've yet to come across ANY BF game that wasn't worth my time MP wise. (I don't play its SP) as its just a massive exaggeration.

^ I'm not knocking anyone for liking it, I just really don't get some of the design choices and dislike the map design from what I've seen. Considering that's 25% of the maps that will be available on release that's a big deal to me.

For instance the design choice of giving the assault class remote explosives (which was almost always a recon exclusive) and giving assault rocket launchers/anti armor mines (which was an engineer exclusive which has been replaced by medic).

So they've given one class all the fun toys while everyone else gets shit basically. With support and medic you basically throw ammo/health pouches with pretty much zero fun exclusive stuff (who knows maybe it'll change at launch but I have my doubts). The LMG bipod situation sucks but I'm hoping that is something that will be fixed by launch.

While I do kind of like the gunplay and hit registration(I still don't like how the series has moved away from controlled bursts, using the tap, tap, tap method to control recoil, with the STG44 you can just hold down LMB while standing just about) the weapon upgrade is what drags it all down. I unlocked the "less horizontal recoil" upgrade for the starter LMG and it makes a gigantic difference. The weapon upgrade system discourages experimentation in trying out new weapons because you'll be at a big disadvantage in fire fights with weapons you haven't leveled up versus other players who have. This is a major design flaw.

Mojoraisin

huh? Are you serious? BFV beta in terms of just gunplay kills BF1. I have over 100 hours in BF1, its not a bad game, but its gunplay isn't that fun, played BFV for a few hours and already love it more. Sorry but I don't like the whole crap with bullet sponges and prefer faster kill times as I only really play HC on BF games.

So gun play is better in terms of feel, faster kill time, game looks way better visually too. So if someone likes it more or less then BF1 is debatable, but its still a staple BF game.

Large maps
Class based
Squad based
Objective based
Vehicles
etc

So I'm sure many of us have a favorite BF and a worse BF, but I've yet to come across ANY BF game that wasn't worth my time MP wise. (I don't play its SP) as its just a massive exaggeration.
I would not say that BF1 is bullet sponge material. If you've like me played a lot of BF previously it is pretty much in line with the series. However, if you are into HC mode I understand if you like the standard TTK. I've also heard from other players that hit reg and feel in BFV is improved. That's great.

I disagree about the graphics, I don't think it's a big difference between the two. In fact - it looks as though there's more detail up close in BF1 version in the analyses I've seen. I have not played the game yet so I will not claim I am qualified to rate that.

Anyway, it's more what feelings it evokes in me. Do I feel the urge to play this game or not. From the first release trailer I've been hesitant about this installment. Possibly because I was hoping for a proper BF1942 modernized. The developers stance towards loyal fans of the franchise makes me even less tempted. Still having great fun with BF1 right now. I'll wait and see.

Last edited:
hmmmm after putting more time into the beta I have to say I don't think its a bad game by anymeans but it all feels underwhelming. DICE really had a chance to do something special here but I feel like they have wasted the potential of a WW2 game. One of my biggest complaints is that we are playing lesser know small battels that no one cares about. Ladies and gentelmen this is not how you do a WW2 game. I want the Stalingrad, Battle of the bulge, Operation Market Garden, Battle of Midway, I could go on. I will still keep my eye on it but overall Im not impressed DICE hopefully they can turn it around with some excellent DLC and support.

mitchman

Gold Member
The problem is if they don't release in November, they miss the xmas sales. But if they do release in November, the reviews will likely be underwhelming, and likewise the sales. tbh, delay it for another 6 months, do proper job of fixing the game, then release it. For the BF franchise in whole, that's better. Then do BF6 as a followup to BF4.

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member
I liked every BF that came out on the PS4 so far. Ok, Hardline was 5 euro and the maps were free.

BF1 is was of my favorite shooters this gen. Because of the weapons and the setting and specialy Operations. The feeling to sucked into a big war and being a part of even it's not accurate.

I was happy to notice my favorite weapon of BF1 was also in BFV, Gewehr 23. So it was perfect to go in and see the differents between the two.

I enjoyed the beta but I wasn't really feeling the setting and the maps were smaller then ever. As the battle of Rotterdam is one of the most important things happend in my country history and seeing that with Brits soldiers gives me a negative feeling. Like rewriting history and disregard the many lost lives.

The gewehr played nice and killed peeps with ease. But I noticed the hit detection is kinda broken. Headshots not counted or pistols not killing the enemy after sitting still and giving a whole magazine.

Don't know. Maybe this live services isn't maybe good idea, it feels like it's giving them a excuse to release a game with not much content. The game is fun, don't get me wrong. Not just for full price, maybe for 20€£$.

^There's one control point in Nevik where there is a stationary turret that is set up on the flag (at the houses to the east) and I could shoot at players who spawning in at the flag directly south of it.

Rotterdam is alright but again, it's a lot like Seine Crossing from BF3. I just don't really like the control point where the above ground metro line is. That place is a freaking death trap.

I do really like the random weather effects on Rotterdam though, the fog especially is actually pretty cool.

cryptoadam

Banned
Here is the problem I have. Now lets keep in mind we have only played 2 maps, and technically I spent 95% of my time on one map.

Grand operations is just not as good as operations. Operations had a huge map that changed in each section. The gameplay could be in flat lands with trenches, then in buildings, then in a village. Sometimes you had 1 flag, sometimes 2, sometimes even 4. So the gameplay was always dynamic and changing between each section. Class/vehicles/ style of play had to change up. On ballroom blitz you started out with trench warfare, moved to a courtyard and small house, then into a huge building with vertical gameplay and a point inside the building, and ended it with a point near a statue and one downhill at a small train station. The game changed and you had to change along with the map.

this new mode just doesn't do the same. Breakthrough could be an interesting mode, but after the 4 points are done the map switches. There seems to be more stuff in that map that I would like to try. Then day 2 its 2 points all the time, one on the bridge one in the houses. Nothing changes up.

Now we don't know what day 3 is so maybe that will add to it, but I also don't like the whole breaking up of the gameplay between days. I would rather like operations 1 map with different sections. I wanted operations to be bigger connecting mulitple maps. When they said multiple days thats what I was thinking. Like Sinai dessert would be day 1, and then ballroom blitz would be day 2.

This could all change if the other maps are better but I doubt it. And I really wonder what day 3 is going to be, probably front lines. Which is an OK mode but not my favourite.

Getting rid of both Operations and Rush is not looking good for BF since those were my two top game modes.

ebevan91

I really like using the tanks. It took some getting used to the slower turret rotation but it's really not that bad. Not sure how I feel about the limited ammo yet. I've played all the way back to 1942 so I've had limited ammo before, but after the past several BF games having unlimited vehicle ammo, it’s kind of a big change.

Top Bottom