• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Beta |OT| Sisters in (prosthetic) arms

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Whats with the health system.

I don't like it. You are never sure when you are low, I don't know how long it takes for health to auto regenerate either. Your health bar can be red, but there is no visual indicators.

I am pretty sure that most of my 1 or 2 shot deaths were because my health was low and I wasn't auto healing. I at first just thought the other players were super good at aiming, but now it makes sense that I am low health most of the game.

From what I noticed it seems like it only auto heals to 45%, then you need a medic or whatever to heal more?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
From what I noticed it seems like it only auto heals to 45%, the you need a medic or whatever to heal more?

I have no idea because sometimes I see my health went back up, and sometimes it doesnt. The health system isn't clear at all and TBH it ends up too many times with getting 1/2 hit killed.

If I survive a fight and get away I should eventually heal up so I can fight again. In this game it seems like if you surivive a fight someone will 1 hit you and you are dead because you didn't heal.

Whats with the health system.

I don't like it. You are never sure when you are low, I don't know how long it takes for health to auto regenerate either. Your health bar can be red, but there is no visual indicators.

I am pretty sure that most of my 1 or 2 shot deaths were because my health was low and I wasn't auto healing. I at first just thought the other players were super good at aiming, but now it makes sense that I am low health most of the game.
No health regen. I have no problem with the health system, for its the ammo system I don't like. Pick up an extra pack of health before you head out

cryptoadam

Banned
No health regen. I have no problem with the health system, for its the ammo system I don't like. Pick up an extra pack of health before you head out

I am the opposite, no problem with ammo, but issues with health. There is usually a dead body around to get ammo from. If you are away from a depot good luck with a medic throwing you health.

I guess its something like spotting that BF vets will have to get used to, but for now I don't like the system. Its just to easy for enemies to kill you because you are half health.

Geki-D

Banned
Anyone else had their game either softlock or fully crash because you were rez'ed but the game assumed you were dead anyway and took you back to the spawn map? At one point I was rez'ed at the very last second and it took me back to the map yet I couldn't do anything and had to quite out, the second time I died and the game didn't give me the option to wait to be brought back but a team mate was apparently doing it anyway. It took me to the map screen, said I was being revived then the whole game crashed.

cryptoadam

Banned
Anyone else had their game either softlock or fully crash because you were rez'ed but the game assumed you were dead anyway and took you back to the spawn map? At one point I was rez'ed at the very last second and it took me back to the map yet I couldn't do anything and had to quite out, the second time I died and the game didn't give me the option to wait to be brought back but a team mate was apparently doing it anyway. It took me to the map screen, said I was being revived then the whole game crashed.

not sure if it happened to me, but I had a game where I couldn't spawn in. It kept sayin "9" every time I clicked on anything. Squad mate, flag, spawn point, nothing. I tried switching squads still nothing. Quit and entered a new game and it worked.

Im actually more annoyed but I get the realism aspect of it for the ammo of aircrafts.

I loved being a bomber in BF1, well now you get a max payload of 4 bombs and thats it, either jump out the plane or with that huge pig try n mow soldiers down with machine guns.

Geki-D

Banned
What's up with the auto knife? If an enemy strafts within a meter of me I automatically whip out the knife and I can't switch back to another weapon, so I'm pretty much bringing a knife to a gun fight. There's the same "gun cool down" when you change to equipment but at least with that I pick when I equip something else, the knife is just suddenly imposed on me.

Also how do you regain ammo for tanks? I see ammo points but can't for the life of me figure out how to acquire it.

One thing that really turned me off from the Battlefront beta was that it didn't support squad play, so you couldn't play with and spawn next to your friends. Did they make that mistake again with this beta?

lifa-cobex

Are these maps really small or am I going mad?

Last one I play was Bad Company so have they been downsizing the maps since then?

Naked Lunch

Are these maps really small or am I going mad?

Last one I play was Bad Company so have they been downsizing the maps since then?
Compared to classics like PC BF2, yes - these maps are tiny. There is no room to breathe, no room for tactics. The flags are always so close together. Battlefield has (unfortunately) been like this for years. I wish they would make a map like old school Highway Tampa, or Songhua Stalemate. Those maps felt so huge, but were still action packed in spots.

I swear this studio cannot make good maps anymore. I cant name a single good map from BF1, hated them all. There's so many things they can do to mix things up too, but they refuse - like having flags in different locations on the same map in Conquest, different variants.

longdi

Banned
Dont feel like downloading it, from the previews, seem like the game is still a chaotic, fast TTK mess.

lifa-cobex

Compared to classics like PC BF2, yes - these maps are tiny. There is no room to breathe, no room for tactics. The flags are always so close together. Battlefield has (unfortunately) been like this for years. I wish they would make a map like old school Highway Tampa, or Songhua Stalemate. Those maps felt so huge, but were still action packed in spots.

I swear this studio cannot make good maps anymore. I cant name a single good map from BF1, hated them all. There's so many things they can do to mix things up too, but they refuse - like having flags in different locations on the same map in Conquest, different variants.

Well that's a downer. I was hopping it was a limited size map for the beta or something.
Large maps were the staple of BF. It separated the men from the animals.

What was the last BF game with a decent sized maps? I really feel like playing but not a COD sized game.

What the hell?

lnwh.gif

Boss Mog

As I play the beta I find myself just going through the motions, but never does it feel like I'm having fun, never does something unexpected happen, never do I get surprised. When I played BF4 for pretty much 2 years straight, it was a blast every time and I was still amazed by crazy shit that happened in almost every round. There really were "only in battlefield" moments, not here though, just the same boring gameplay round after round.

Doesn't flying back reload bombs? It definitely reloads standard ammo.

Not in BF5. BF1 yeah the bombs would reload. Also, what is the point of giving ground troops minimum ammo so that you have to right away look for an ammo box. Why just not let default be full ammo and as the game goes on you go back for more.

EDMIX

Man I'm LOVING this game right now! Gun play feels really good, destruction is amazing like putting dynamite on the side of a building and watching the whole front of it blow up.

Man I'm LOVING this game right now! Gun play feels really good, destruction is amazing like putting dynamite on the side of a building and watching the whole front of it blow up.
So much hate for this game glad some one likes it. I like it, but Im not blown away by it. I will definately pick it up for Christmas.

EDMIX

So much hate for this game glad some one likes it. I like it, but Im not blown away by it. I will definately pick it up for Christmas.

yea I love the series, I'm really liking the beta and I expect the small things I don't like to be patched as DICE is amazing with supporting MP games long term. I don't play much MP games so this is a day 1 as I don't really have any other online game I'd be playing around that time (probably Fallout 76 if we count that)

Naked Lunch

Ive been a hardcore Battlefield since the PC's 1942, ran a main clan in BF2 thru BF3, but ive fallen out with the series with BF4 and the awful BF1. After some extensive time with the beta...

The core gameplay of BFV is the best since Battlefield 3. The gunplay in V rewards skill and tap firing. When you can outplay people on a consistent basis, you know this is the case. The TTK in BFV is just about perfect, I hope they keep this model. Its possible to escape bad engagements, but also possible to outplay people who get the drop on you if you have the skill. BF4 and BF1's gunplay were trash - catering to casuals. The guns didnt feel right in those games.

I love, love, love that 3d spotting is nearly removed. This is a crutch that needed to be axed years ago. Our crew ran hardcore mode almost exclusively the past few years (which removed 3d spotting), but I always hated the TTK in HC mode. Squads DO feel more important in BFV than recent titles as well. Knowing when to retreat to act as a spawn is very key in the game again.

Tanks feel decent if a bit finicky with the aiming sensitivity. Theyre closer to BF3's model than the ultra slippery tanks of BF4. It still too easy to C4 tanks. The 2ndary gunner's viewpoint is far too limited.

The maps are in the beta arent very good. Flags are within walking distance to each other. The 2 south points on the snow map in particular. The maps are far too busy - too much crap all over the map, its easy to get stuck on things. The water canal sections of the city map are not fun to traverse, dealing with snipers from all sides - there's almost no point to even go to those sections.

The overall aesthetic of the game doesnt feel like WWII. This is a real shame. DICE going back to its WWII roots is something ive been looking forward to for a long time. What we got is some alternate reality stuff - some of these character look straight out of Mad Max. Just silly. DICE keeps saying "WWII like you've never seen before". I wanted to see WWII revisited with the new technology - classic maps, classic setting. I dont need this weird steampunk spin on things. Why do they keep digging for battles that are obscure and not well-known? Gimmie the famous battles with your new tech - you havent done WWII since 2002 (not counting the spinoff, barebones BF1943).

Also, why dont they blast the classic Battlefield theme song in map loading screens anymore? Newer gamers wouldn't even recognize the theme at this point.

All that said, I did enjoy BFV - far more than BF4 and BF1. As long as the core gunplay is ok, I can see myself sticking with this game.

Last edited:
Ive been a hardcore Battlefield since the PC's 1942, ran a main clan in BF2 thru BF3, but ive fallen out with the series with BF4 and the awful BF1. After some extensive time with the beta...

The core gameplay of BFV is the best since Battlefield 3. The gunplay in V rewards skill and tap firing. When you can outplay people on a consistent basis, you know this is the case. The TTK in BFV is just about perfect, I hope they keep this model. Its possible to escape bad engagements, but also possible to outplay people who get the drop on you if you have the skill. BF4 and BF1's gunplay were trash - catering to casuals. The guns didnt feel right in those games.

I love, love, love that 3d spotting is nearly removed. This is a crutch that needed to be axed years ago. Our crew ran hardcore mode almost exclusively the past few years (which removed 3d spotting), but I always hated the TTK in HC mode. Squads DO feel more important in BFV than recent titles as well. Knowing when to retreat to act as a spawn is very key in the game again.

Tanks feel decent if a bit finicky with the aiming sensitivity. Theyre closer to BF3's model than the ultra slippery tanks of BF4. It still too easy to C4 tanks. The 2ndary gunner's viewpoint is far too limited.

The maps are in the beta arent very good. Flags are within walking distance to each other. The 2 south points on the snow map in particular. The maps are far too busy - too much crap all over the map, its easy to get stuck on things. The water canal sections of the city map are not fun to traverse, dealing with snipers from all sides - there's almost no point to even go to those sections.

The overall aesthetic of the game doesnt feel like WWII. This is a real shame. DICE going back to its WWII roots is something ive been looking forward to for a long time. What we got is some alternate reality stuff - some of these character look straight out of Mad Max. Just silly. DICE keeps saying "WWII like you've never seen before". I wanted to see WWII revisited with the new technology - classic maps, classic setting. I dont need this weird steampunk spin on things. Why do they keep digging for battles that are obscure and not well-known? Gimmie the famous battles with your new tech - you havent done WWII since 2002 (not counting the spinoff, barebones BF1943).

Also, why dont they blast the classic Battlefield theme song in map loading screens anymore? Newer gamers wouldn't even recognize the theme at this point.

All that said, I did enjoy BFV - far more than BF4 and BF1. As long as the core gunplay is ok, I can see myself sticking with this game.
I agree completely. I think its this games biggest mistake, it dosen't feel WWII because of this imo

cryptoadam

Banned
Please DICE allow me to quit a game after a round. This was a problem they patched a fix in for BF1 and it better not come back in BFV. Really stupid that I have to wait for a new game to load to quit a game.

One thing with BF is that its not a game you can pick up quickly. Until you learn the maps, the weapons, unlock the gadgets you want its going to be rough going. So its hard to judge an entire game on 1(2) maps with limited play time and unlocks.

One thing that I am finding different is that the maps seem a bit smaller due to the nature of the game. In BF1 operations you would open up 3 or 4 sections of the map as you progress, sometimes each section being drastically different from the one before. One map you started out in all bombed out flat area, then you moved to a section with some elevation and windmills, then do a bombed out village/church down a hill, then to an intact little village, and then finally back to some flat land again with some buildings. It changed up the gameplay in each section and made things dynamic.

So far from the grand operations I haven't got that feeling yet. It seems like the maps only have 2, maybe 3 sections? Again could be the maps but I just am not getting that sense of scale and different gameplay elements within a map.

mitchman

Gold Member
The core gameplay is good but the UI is a disaster. Trying to find how to play conquest on Amsterdam is way to hidden away in sub screens. Figuring out how to switch between building fortifactions and main gun is also a lot of hit and miss. If anyone asked me how to do it on PS4, I wouldn't be able to tell them. BF4Gaf here.

mitchman

Gold Member
So another confusing thing. I use the squad leader points to spawn a tank. It says the tank is ready BUT WHERE IS IT? I've yet to see it anywhere close to where I'm actually at with the squad.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
As I play the beta I find myself just going through the motions, but never does it feel like I'm having fun, never does something unexpected happen, never do I get surprised. When I played BF4 for pretty much 2 years straight, it was a blast every time and I was still amazed by crazy shit that happened in almost every round. There really were "only in battlefield" moments, not here though, just the same boring gameplay round after round.

As I’ve played a few more matches I feel this way too. Nothing really crazy has happened. I find myself getting bored already.

Numerous, numerous times - Yes. Probably the biggest bug I have encountered other than in the menu where a friend is in my squad but on their screen they're not and they cannot join a game with anyone on their origin (which happened numerous times with numerous friends). Other than that I have been enjoying the Beta, feels like support and medics make a HUGE difference to the team which is awesome!

mitchman

Gold Member
You can use the German gun StG 44 during the fights in Narvik, but that gun didn't exist until 1944. It was, for most practical purposes, just a MP43 renamed to MP44, then renamed to StG 44 in 1944. The Narvik fighting happened in 1940, so historical inaccuracy here!

Downloaded it last night and it looks nice on PC, running it in ultra in 1080p with my evga gtx 1060 6gb. There's some graphical issues I've noticed in some areas but other than that it looks great. I don't know how I feel about the shooting, the STG seems OPAF where I get mowed down instantly if someone notices me with it.

Eight maps at launch though and we've already played two of them????!???!!???

giphy.gif

WTF even BF4 and BF1 launched with ten maps.

Mojoraisin

Been a BF-fan forever but this will be the first one I skip since 2142. That time I was pissed they reskinned the game and didn't feel the vibe with that setting. I get the same feeling this time around. It just doesn't look fun or new.

Couple this with the developers (extremely) non historically accurate WWII-setting, insulting their fanbase and it's a no brainer for me. No money from me or the rest of the people I play with.

Tesseract

Banned
Been a BF-fan forever but this will be the first one I skip since 2142. That time I was pissed they reskinned the game and didn't feel the vibe with that setting. I get the same feeling this time around. It just doesn't look fun or new.

Couple this with the developers (extremely) non historically accurate WWII-setting, insulting their fanbase and it's a no brainer for me. No money from me or the rest of the people I play with.

echo this, and it's unfortunate. their first go at ww2 since the original and it's basically a turd.

echo this, and it's unfortunate. their first go at ww2 since the original and it's basically a turd.
1943 was great for what it was when the series was not in such a good spot after Vietnam and the F2P heroes :(

Also wtf is with this Lord of the Rings music in the menus. GIVE ME THIS.

OR THIS, the 1943 version is actually pretty good.

Tesseract

Banned
1943 was great for what it was when the series was not in such a good spot after Vietnam and the F2P heroes :(

Also wtf is with this Lord of the Rings music in the menus. GIVE ME THIS.

OR THIS, the 1943 version is actually pretty good.

i always forget about 1943, it was pretty rad.

Things are starting to click for me and I've hit the top of the scoreboard a few times. You've got to move slow and low from cover to cover. Let the enemy come to you.

Yea I played a few more rounds and it's not bad, it's pretty fun. It's just the whole 8 maps thing and class kits are kinda bare bones.

Also WTF did they do to the classes?? when was it decided that assault gets rocket launchers now???!??? So they just delete engineers entirely and give assault the best toys in the game?? WTF is this shit.

edit: I agree about the map size though, the maps are too small and are just kind of clusterfucks designed to funnel players into each other.

Last edited:
The weapon upgrade system is seriously ill thought out. Just giving flat out upgrades available for purchase based upon the "level" you have with the current weapon.

It's not like BF4 where there are advantages and disadvantages to equipping a weapon add on. It's just straight upgrades where if two players are using the same weapon, the person who's used it more has an extreme advantage over the person who doesn't have the unlocks.

edit: Fuck this shit this game is straight up garbage, spawn, die, spawn, die,spawn, die, spawn, die.

I've had it happen so many times in Narvik and Rotterdam that I'm done with this piece of shit game. You literally can't take two steps without someone shooting you after spawning, I've spawned on point in conquest in front of somebody with my back turned to them. Nearly everyone uses the stupid fucking OP STG which takes a few shots to kill someone. The TTK is ridiculously short to Call of Duty levels.

It looks good but this game is zero fucking fun and if you like to play actually attacking points then your going to have a bad time.

Last edited:

Pheace

Yea I played a few more rounds and it's not bad, it's pretty fun. It's just the whole 8 maps thing and class kits are kinda bare bones.

8 maps doesn't seem too bad, at least given they're going to add more for free rather than through DLC. Sounds like they're going for the ongoing 'experience' of invading Europe to keep people engaged as long as they can. (assuming their new pay model pays off I imagine)

GenericUser

Angry Joe made a reaction video on his thought about the beta:

I have to agree with him on the"doesn't feel like war" criticism. I couldn't form the proper words, but he is on point I think. BFV feels like Call of Duty with bigger maps. The absence of vehicles really killed my enjoyment of the game. I would've liked to see a lot more vehicles, tanks especially. The beta was just running around as a guy, trying to shoot other guys (and girls). I remember maps back in Bad Company 2 having like 4 or more tanks available for each side on some maps. Plus helicopters and shit.

I also think that putting the focus on the "lesser known battles" ultimately will hurt the game. Sure, WW2 has been done to death, but imagine a huge tank battle taking place on the eastern front or a D-Day operation all rendered in the gloryness that is the frostbite engine.. Make me drool. Instead I get to fight in stupid backyard conflicts that noone gives a shit about.

Everything was there for dice to use it and make a great WW2 game. I think they fucked up.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
Been a BF-fan forever but this will be the first one I skip since 2142. T

I just can't get my head around your comment. You say you have been a BF fan forever, yet this will be the first one you miss. That's pretty weird, considering this blows BF1 and Hardline out of the water. :messenger_hushed:

Each to their own... I guess?

Top Bottom