• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2 Alpha Impressions

PBY

Banned
How is spawning into a vehicle vs entering an empty one on the map a dealbreaker? It just seems like you wanted an excuse to not like The game.

No. I feel like getting into a spaceship and taking off, having the ability to land and get out, then hop back in and take off again adds a level of fuckery and unpredictability to these games that was missing in the first one (as well as raises the skill ceiling).

Its totally a personal quibble, but it ruined the first one for me. I'm sure most people will be cool with it.

adj_noun

People not playing the objective looking tokens in the first game was a real problem

If Battlefront taught me anything, it's that the vast majority of the human population has near crippling issues when faced with the concept of "standing inside a circle".

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How is spawning into a vehicle vs entering an empty one on the map a dealbreaker? It just seems like you wanted an excuse to not like The game.

Wouldn't be a first with this series, it attracts an ungodly amount of irrational hatred. The thread after the debut trailer was full of naysayers crying downgrade 6 months before release. I have never seen as much digested crow in my life.

Van Bur3n

The way vehicles work sounds similar to the original BF2, where you had to earn points in game to play the powerful classes. Only here it is with vehicles and surely there is a limit since, you know, vehicles.

Actually, I think there was a limit on those powerful classes as well in the original BF2, don't remember.

Still, doesn't sound like a bad system. Really don't see why it can't just work like a Battlefield. Thanks for the impressions.

No. I feel like getting into a spaceship and taking off, having the ability to land and get out, then hop back in and take off again adds a level of fuckery and unpredictability to these games that was missing in the first one (as well as raises the skill ceiling).

Its totally a personal quibble, but it ruined the first one for me. I'm sure most people will be cool with it.
There were no flying vehicles on ground maps (except snowspeeders) in the 2005 Battlefront II and landing planes hasn't been a thing in Battlefield since Battlefield 3. What exactly were you expecting?

Karak

Wouldn't be a first with this series, it attracts an ungodly amount of irrational hatred. The thread after the debut trailer was full of naysayers crying downgrade 6 months before release. I have seen as much digested crow in my life.

And many times it makes sense in these kinds of games. Sometimes it totally makes sense to spawn in a vehicle other times its the rush.

Its irrationally hyperbolic.

It's essentially the same as Battlefield 1. You spawn directly into the vehicles but if you bail out they explode so that the enemy team can't steal them.

Battlefront isn't a vehicle driven game, it never has been.

...That is not how battlefield 1 works lol

There are people in here whose first thought is to put some random gamer on blast for breaking a publisher's non-disclosure agreement to share benign - indeed, positive - impressions of a video game they just played and thought was fun.

They don't even know the circumstances under which the person played the game or whether/how the NDA applies. They just want to make sure that, if someone arguably broke it, they're called to task for it.

Think about that.

Or maybe Karak makes video content and was just curious if the the terms of the NDA had changed for that reason. There is a lot of weird hostility in this thread.

Machina

Banned
Wait they explode on exit in this one?

I can't speak for ground vehicles as I haven't attempted to get out of one before dying, but for aerial vehicles, you can hold E to exit the vehicle without suiciding then just spawn somewhere on the map as a normal ground trooper

I could totally be remembering wrong, but what is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiIvK9IxpeU
Yeah they had snowspeeders on hoth, also pretty sure battlefront 1 had flying vehicles in cloud city although it's been ages.

This isn't me just calling out battlefront btw, I hate how modern battlefield starting doing it too. Older battlefields would let you go in to an enemy spawn and walk out with their vehicle (or strap explosives to it and laugh when they take off and you blow them to kingdom come). Then they added pretty restrictive kill zones. Then they removed the ability to land jets. Then they removed planes and helis even spawning on the physical map at all. Now with Battlefront you can't even exit ground vehicles :/

How this is seen as a progressive improvement is mind boggling tbh

adj_noun

aerial vehicles, you can hold E to exit the vehicle without suiciding then just spawn somewhere on the map as a normal ground trooper

Can you do that while you're getting shot at?

I'd kinda hope dogfights don't become who bails first contests. >_>

Not even interested in Star Wars but I'll almost definitely be buying this day one as long as it's still got some offline co-op stuff like the last one. The online was fun too. One of the more fun games this gen imo.

It doesn't hurt that I've got it preordered at Best Buy for $51 plus a $10 certificate.

Machina

Banned
Can you do that while you're getting shot at?

I'd kinda hope dogfights don't become who bails first contests. >_>

Unsure about that but you do have to hold E for a period of about 5 seconds or so to get out, so at the very least there's a period where you're vulnerable

The way vehicles work sounds similar to the original BF2, where you had to earn points in game to play the powerful classes. Only here it is with vehicles and surely there is a limit since, you know, vehicles.

Actually, I think there was a limit on those powerful classes as well in the original BF2, don't remember.

Still, doesn't sound like a bad system. Really don't see why it can't just work like a Battlefield. Thanks for the impressions.

It works very similarly, except you have to cash in those points to spawn in. Also, those powerful classes, like the clone jumptrooper, are a part of the same system, along with heroes.

Machina

Banned
It's also worth noting that depending on which section of a map the round currently is, vehicles will become unavailable, for example on Naboo, if the Droids advance into the Palace, all vehicles become unavailable (because obviously trying to drive a huge tank through a narrow hallway isn't gonna end well), however the specialized classes and heroes remain useable.

ZZMitch

Is this Alpha widely distributed? I randomly got an email with a code from EA for this so just assumed most people who bought the original game got invited.

Machina

Banned
Is this Alpha widely distributed? I randomly got an email with a code from EA for this so just assumed most people who bought the original game got invited.

I haven't struggled to find a game all that much, so the population seems pretty healthy

Marvel

could never
I just want the thirdperson camera zoomed back like the previous game. Way too zoomed in right now, looks like shit.

It's also worth noting that depending on which section of a map the round currently is, vehicles will become unavailable, for example on Naboo, if the Droids advance into the Palace, all vehicles become unavailable (because obviously trying to drive a huge tank through a narrow hallway isn't gonna end well), however the specialized classes and heroes remain useable.
Is there a standard conquest mode or are they still insisting to not have conquest in a battlefront game and instead focus on their meat grinder bastardized supremacy mode instead

Machina

Banned
Is there a standard conquest mode or are they still insisting to not have conquest in a battlefront game and instead focus on their meat grinder bastardized supremacy mode instead

Unknown at this point, the mode available in the alpha is basically prequel era walker assault

I just want the thirdperson camera zoomed back like the previous game. Way too zoomed in right now, looks like shit.
It's there an FOV slider to adjust that?

Last word was back in December when Dennis said that they wanted to keep the series separate (dumb), but that may change (good). So hopefully in the meantime they've heard feedback and will include Conquest, but we don't know right now.

We aren't sure how many right now, some seem map specific.

We know for sure of the Super Battledroid, Clone Jumptrooper, Clone Commando, Wookie Warrior, and Resistance Jumptrooper.

Wait, how'd I miss this? Clone Commando like Republic Commando?

Hastati

Dear god I am sick of loot crates. I'll probably still play this game but these systems are a plague. I really hope we get legislation some day that classifies all this stupid shit as gambling and rigorously regulates it, but it's not like corporations are being kept on a tight leash by anyone right now in the US.

Pretty sure this shit is going to show up in service based automation of our daily lives, can't wait till ordering food and basic necessities involves RNG. Loot box for a 1% chance at fresh golden apples! Oh bummer, you got a Stupid Tier slightly rotten apple, better buy more keys!

Is this 3rd person only or is there a 1st person option like the first battlefront reboot?
Both first and third. Switch on the fly.

Ugh loot crates... and im out...not paying 70 euros for a "game" that is full of microtransactions
Well prepare to not buy any games in the future.

All post release content (maps, heroes, etc) are free and the RNG can be completely bypassed through normal play. The lootcrates are just a shortcut.

gatti-man

My impressions:
Graphics: 10/10. If you want realistic Star Wars you are in for a massive treat.
Sound: 10/10 it's all here and all authentic
Gameplay: hard for me to say. It's messy because everyone is new. But I will say it is MASSIVELY improved from BF1.
Character options: you spawn as what you want based on points earned in the game based on performance. Idk if it will always be like that but even bad players will be able to spawn as interesting and powered up robots/vehicles/Jedi as long as you follow your commanders and use squad tactics or are just a killing machine.

I'm loving it.

Edit: I'm praying the PS4 pro version of this game looks close to what I'm seeing on my PC or I'll have to double dip.

More than half of the maps in the original 2005 Battlefront 2 did not have vehicles.

Hoth
Endor
Geonosis
Kashyyyk
Mygeeto
Theed
Yavin IV

aaaannnnd? They had them. And guess what the most fun maps were :p And guess what this new Battlefront series is massively lacking? It's literally the only reason I had any excitement when they first announced Battlefront, and what we got was... a cheap cash in on a great name, imo.

aaaannnnd? They had them. And guess what the most fun maps were :p And guess what this new Battlefront series is massively lacking? It's literally the only reason I had any excitement when they first announced Battlefront, and what we got was... a cheap cash in on a great name, imo.
And not every map in the new ones will be full of vehicles either. They are already doing a lot more by including air vehicles on ground maps, something the original Battlefront 2 didn't do.

Top Bottom