• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
anaron said:
So apparently the complete series sets will be repackaged and now include "The Plan."

BSGalactica_Complete_Rpkg_BLU.jpg

Was holding off getting the set soley in hopes of them doing this so I'm pretty happy. :p

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Battlestar-Galactica-The-Complete-Series/13300

DVD/Blu Ray Tuesday thread tipped me off to this and thought I would post it.

They're offering packaging upgrades to people who already own the Blu Ray set.

Box has spoilorz :(

I've got the Blu Ray box with the Centurion on and it's good enough. The inside is a bit bare and disappointing I guess but whatever.

Montresor

TheGreatDave said:
Box has spoilorz :(

I've got the Blu Ray box with the Centurion on and it's good enough. The inside is a bit bare and disappointing I guess but whatever.

Do you mean Adama in the suit?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This thread's been posted in this month so I don't see the need in posting a LTTP thread. Spoiler tags may not be needed, but it's a force of habit.

I finally got around to watching the last season of BSG. And holy fucking shit. I did not expect this.

I'm sure that after a few more viewings I'll pick out the flaws (as there are many), but for the most part it was excellent.
Dee's suicide hit me in the face
- it was something I never would have predicted, the
coup storyline
was great, and I was crying
when Roslin died. She's
probably my favourite character on the show. The last episode was underwhelming (then again I compare every final episode to Babylon 5's "Sleeping in Light" and I don't think any show will top that) but "it's not the destination it's the journey" yadda yadda.

All in all, it was a great show. Nowhere near Babylon 5 quality (which IMO is the greatest space-based sci-fi ever made) but I will remember it fondly.

industrian said:
All in all, it was a great show. Nowhere near Babylon 5 quality (which IMO is the greatest space-based sci-fi ever made) but I will remember it fondly.

To me it's a toss-up between BSG and B5. B5 is obviously much more tightly written--it tells a wonderful tale--but so much of the acting (and dialogue) is just terrible.

I liked the ending. I know it's easy to look at it and kinda dismiss it as trying to hard, but as somebody that watched the show in one month rather than half a decade, it just felt complete. Even if they were making shit up on the fly, I buy the ending, and I buy the story they were telling.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't understand how anyone can possibly buy them all setting aside their differences (something they could never do for the right reasons) to commit suicide as a society and a species (let alone such a wrong one). If you can buy that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Also, I think it's far far easier to dismiss poor storytelling when you move through a story so quickly. You can gloss over all the stupid because of some shred of good that comes up much quicker, and you have no real time to digest the plot points as they come, instead you digest the whole thing at once in the context of the ending.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
maharg said:
I don't understand how anyone can possibly buy them all setting aside their differences (something they could never do for the right reasons) to commit suicide as a society and a species (let alone such a wrong one). If you can buy that, I have a bridge to sell you.

To be fair they were all split up into small groups and would have had no contact with each other

Giving up technology though, that was a bit of a stretch, but again it's a group of people who's entire lifestyle was destroyed by technology. Who knows what we would do in their shoes.

DrForester said:
To be fair they were all split up into small groups and would have had no contact with each other

Giving up technology though, that was a bit of a stretch, but again it's a group of people who's entire lifestyle was destroyed by technology. Who knows what we would do in their shoes.
I think people would be very willing to give it up, so long as they have some knowledge of how to do things *without* tech.

maharg

idspispopd
It's the uniformity and agreement that bothers me. I have no doubt that SOME of them would want to do it. But ALL of them? Ridiculous. We're given a show premised on the difficult relationships and wildly divergent viewpoints of the characters and their peoples, and then told the only thing they can agree on is to kill their species to merge with another.

maharg said:

Also, I think it's far far easier to dismiss poor storytelling when you move through a story so quickly. You can gloss over all the stupid because of some shred of good that comes up much quicker, and you have no real time to digest the plot points as they come, instead you digest the whole thing at once in the context of the ending.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that, and not really being in a position where I had expectations going in to the final run probably helped. To me I just justify it as they saw the shit caused by cylons, and decided they were better of just starting totally fresh of technology. It's a stretch, but I wasn't sitting there second guessing all their actions. When they landed on New Caprica they were hardly at the technological forefront either, though I guess there's other reasons for that.

maharg said:
It's the uniformity and agreement that bothers me. I have no doubt that SOME of them would want to do it. But ALL of them? Ridiculous. We're given a show premised on the difficult relationships and wildly divergent viewpoints of the characters and their peoples, and then told the only thing they can agree on is to kill their species to merge with another.
maybe maybe not. considering the length and source of their experience...I don't know if it's so unrealistic.

maharg

idspispopd
That's the other thing. New Caprica should have taught them that settling down is asking for pain. This time, not only do they settle down but they also throw away any means of defending themselves. They don't actually know that all the cylons are gone, just the ones led by the humanform ones.

They also sacrifice any means of preventing their descendants from making the same mistake while subjecting them to thousands of years of pain, toil, and suffering (we're told their future is our history, and we know our own history, and that's what it comes down to). So we're also told this is God's plan, and then shown how utterly retarded the plan was.

The only expectation I had going in was a thoughtful story. The last season didn't give me that, it gave me flailing gibberish and extremely out of character behaviour. Moore once said "it's the characters stupid," and he failed to live up to that in my eyes by making them act incomprehensibly.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
maharg said:
That's the other thing. New Caprica should have taught them that settling down is asking for pain. This time, not only do they settle down but they also throw away any means of defending themselves. They don't actually know that all the cylons are gone, just the ones led by the humanform ones.

They also sacrifice any means of preventing their descendants from making the same mistake while subjecting them to thousands of years of pain, toil, and suffering (we're told their future is our history, and we know our own history, and that's what it comes down to). So we're also told this is God's plan, and then shown how utterly retarded the plan was.

The only expectation I had going in was a thoughtful story. The last season didn't give me that, it gave me flailing gibberish and extremely out of character behaviour. Moore once said "it's the characters stupid," and he failed to live up to that in my eyes by making them act incomprehensibly.

The Clyons didn't have a plan, God didn't have a plan, Moore didn't have a plan.

gdt

S4 was insanely disappointing to me, watching it weekly (I had caught up on S1-3 shortly before).

I'm just about to rewatch it (almost done with S3), so let's see how my rewatch goes.

I liked the finale though.

I'm rewatching at the moment so I'm starting season 4 pretty soon. From what I remember (when it originally aired), the entire season was the weakest of the 4. But the final four or five episodes more than made up for it.

Also thinking about the finale still makes me tear up a bit. Bear McCreary's score was fantastic.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
maharg said:

People don't learn in this show. This is evident in many of their interpersonal relationships, their dealings with the Cylons, and their baffling inability to apply what they experienced at New Caprica to their new world. It's a big clusterfuck all around.

Every time this gets bumped, I get mad, I swear. :lol

gdt

Anywho, like I said, almost done rewatching S3 (at the finale now), and it's much weaker than I remember.

Mostly the second half, which is so meh.

Eh my opinion's the opposite. I thought it was better than I gave it credit for. A lot of filler episodes, but they're written pretty smartly (French Revolution, Terrorism, Doing what's right vs. doing what's fair). It reminded me a bit of how Star Trek used to use real-world issues while reveling in it's own campiness. The only thing I didn't like was that Lampkin dude. I freaking hate that actor.

maharg said:

I agree with most of what you're saying except for that part. It's the one thing they didn't do wrong in the final season, and is one of the many reasons I love it so much. And I loved the plot structure of the final season, everything built upon each arc, just when you thought things were resolved BAM! something terrible happens and a new arc begins. I like watching terrible things happen to people I love.

maharg said:

If they had given the audience more of an understanding of why they wanted to give up technology (other than so it could fit in with a timeline, sigh), if they had mentioned it had gone to a vote (and had won) and if we saw some descent among the people. Then maybe it would've been less retarded, but as it is, yeah it was. I think the idea was fine, it just wasnt thought through very well.

cnizzle06

Banned
I thought it was pretty comical how every episode began with, "...and they have a plan." i.e. "Seriously, we're not making up this shit as we go along. Stick with it, we're sure it'll some how all tie together in the end!!"

er....angels?

PLAN FULFILLED

cnizzle06 said:
I thought it was pretty comical how every episode began with, "...and they have a plan." i.e. "Seriously, we're not making up this shit as we go along. Stick with it, we're sure it'll some how all tie together in the end!!"

er....angels?

PLAN FULFILLED

It's pretty evident the vision of Six Baltar sees is not
an angel
in the first season and a half. The way, for example, she reacts to a bruised Cylon or the destruction of the
resurrection ship (oh noes, empty Cylon bodies were detroyed, what a sin!)
suggested some kind of Cylon thingie or a figment of Baltar's imagination.

After that, the writers finally settle on what she really was. Starbucks was still a clusterfuck. Makes little sense and smacks of lazy writing.

Personally, as campy as the original series was, they handled the supernatural stuff way better. I would have liked a Count Iblis in the new series.

cnizzle06

Banned
Instigator said:
It's pretty evident the vision of Six Baltar sees is not
an angel
in the first season and a half. The way, for example, she reacts to a bruised Cylon or the destruction of the
resurrection ship (oh noes, empty Cylon bodies were detroyed, what a sin!)
suggested some kind of Cylon thingie or a figment of Baltar's imagination.

After that, the writers finally settle on what she really was. Starbucks was still a clusterfuck. Makes little sense and smacks of lazy writing.

Personally, as campy as the original series was, they handled the supernatural stuff way better. I would have liked a Count Iblis in the new series.

If only Starbuck could've 'vanished' shortly after her first appearance. The Baltar/Six dynamic was really the only relationship I had interest in. Well, that and Roslin/Adama. That's the only thing I felt was well-delivered in the finale.

anaron

cnizzle06 said:

No, that's what the creators of Lost would like the fans to believe.

Ron Moore has always been pretty upfront about the show being written as it went along.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
anaron said:
No, that's what the creators of Lost would like the fans to believe.

Ron Moore has always been pretty upfront about the show being written as it went along.
The show only began with 'they have a plan" because of network exec meddling iirc. And plus if you pay attention, it's clear the shows emphasis wasn't on the cylons plan.

ultron87

Lafiel said:
The show only began with 'they have a plan" because of network exec meddling iirc. And plus if you pay attention, it's clear the shows emphasis wasn't on the cylons plan.

And then they release a movie called "The Plan" which only really serves to show that the Cylons really didn't even have a plan at all.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ultron87 said:
And then they release a movie called "The Plan" which only really serves to show that the Cylons really didn't even have a plan at all.

The Plan is one of the worst things I've ever seen, horrible stuff.

I prefer to think of BSG as only the first 2 seasons, which were some of the best television I've ever seen. 3 it started drifting, and 4 it disappeared up it's own arse and couldn't find it's way out.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Discotheque said:
Also thinking about the finale still makes me tear up a bit. Bear McCreary's score was fantastic.

I liked how he elevated the "Reuniting the Fleet" leitmotif to the main theme of the show. I love that song.

Babylon 5's "Sleeping In Light" still had a better soundtrack though.

gdt5016 said:
Anywho, like I said, almost done rewatching S3 (at the finale now), and it's much weaker than I remember.

Mostly the second half, which is so meh.

I actually think that the latter half of season 3 was to blame for me taking my time with watching season 4.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shocking discovery when browsing the Battlestar Wiki.

According to David Eick's video blog, it would have been impossible to afford creating new sets for the entire interior of Pegasus on the budget of an episodic television show. This expense was circumvented when a year beforehand Ron D. Moore and David Eick bought (for next to nothing) the abandoned sets of the failed pilot for the FOX network's Lost In Space remake, directed by John Woo. The production team then held onto the sets hoping to find some later use for them, eventually using them for "Pegasus". The sets were then radically redesigned and painted to give them the aesthetic look of Galactica, but sleeker and more advanced.

Lostinspace2003.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
DrForester said:
Shocking discovery when browsing the Battlestar Wiki.

According to David Eick's video blog, it would have been impossible to afford creating new sets for the entire interior of Pegasus on the budget of an episodic television show. This expense was circumvented when a year beforehand Ron D. Moore and David Eick bought (for next to nothing) the abandoned sets of the failed pilot for the FOX network's Lost In Space remake, directed by John Woo. The production team then held onto the sets hoping to find some later use for them, eventually using them for "Pegasus". The sets were then radically redesigned and painted to give them the aesthetic look of Galactica, but sleeker and more advanced.

I always thought it was remarkable how the show managed to bring in a brand new ship with a whole different set and everything mid-season.

The Pegasus ark and the New Caprica stuff are some of the highest points of TV ever. You could tell everyone on the team really knew they were seizing opportunities and doing something special.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I hate to bring up an old thread, but did they just imply that Jimi Hendrix is god?

I liked the whole series, watched it in the span of two weeks, but the last few episodes seemed like a clusterfuck.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
cartoon_soldier said:
No...?

They never imply who God is, but the presence of a higher being is referenced throughout the series.

It's kind of implied at the end when 6 talks about god as "god" and All along the watch towers is playing in the background and the Doctor says "you know he doesn't like that name."

Then there's the fact that throughout the entire end of the show his song is what guides them and leads them to the promised land though an angel (Kara Thrace).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom