• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Tabris said:
Question: Anyone else get the impression that the FTL drive had huge claw marks?
I thought that they were just tares, the ship is on its last days?

but if anyone has a screen cap, that would be useful.

KevinCow

Banned
I really liked this story arc. It was the most interested I've been in the series since, like, the beginning of season 3. It's a shame that it was resolved in a mere two episodes.

Chris R

So I didn't think this deserved its own thread, but I'm LTTP. Watched the Miniseries last night and it was GOOD.

Things that make me sad are the fact that there isn't a Blu Ray release out right now, and the fact that the DVDs are so damn expensive. I'm just going to have to netflix my way one disc at a time through the entire series, but that is going to take forever :(

Any word on a Blu Ray release, or place where I can pick up seasons for less than 50$ ? I'll peak back into this thread at my post and try not to read anything else since I don't want to be spoiled :(

KevinCow said:
I really liked this story arc. It was the most interested I've been in the series since, like, the beginning of season 3. It's a shame that it was resolved in a mere two episodes.
Eh, I wouldn't say this is totally resolved. At least, I hope not. There should be a lot of fallout due to the events of the last two episodes.

icarus-daedelus said:
Can I just say that I love The Adventures of Lee & Kara? Because I totally do. Amazing episode. I love how they managed to weave in scenes of calm, like Chief's talk with Kelly* and Gaeta's thing with Baltar at the end. Just lovely. And even though it was kind of a plot device I was weirdly engaged by watching Chief crawl around through pipes the whole episode. I dig Tyrol no matter what he is doing, always been a fave character of mine. <3

Have to agree with you, and as I said in an earlier post, I've finally come to actually really like Starbuck and Katie Sackhoff at long last. She's been awesome this whole season.

And I have to agree that this may be the best season. I've had to convince some of my friends who have given up on the show to come back and watch it again, and so far they're all glad they did.

Yaweee

Taken form some completely random forum, found via Google:

Cylon Centurions almost disabled the BSG's FTL engine way back when. Those scars are from a Centurion's claw.

The amusing thing about that scene was supposed to be that a cylon just disabled the FTL to save the fleet.

Phoenix

AndersTheSwede said:
Thought it was a good episode, but I was completely dissatisfied with how Adama re-took control of the ship. Riding in at the head of a mob is nice and poetic, but in reality (and BSG is all about "realistic" sci-fi) there was some heinous shit going down. People being murdered in their rooms, mass executions, sheer butchery.

You think these marines are going to just lay down their weapons because Adama has assembled a posse? Ridiculous. They've crossed over the edge and there is no going back but to fight to the death. There should have been a pitched battle against the most dedicated of Gaeta's Marines guarding the corridors on the way to the CIC.

Instead we got this cumbaya "oh the admirals back!" feel good moment, and a bloodless end to a ferociously bloody coup.

Ridiculous.

Yeah, that part was a bit silly and more artistic than practical or realistic. The marines were switching sides faster than Anakin.

Favorite part of that episode was the exchange between the Chief and the mutineer turned counter-coup guy.

"Who am I supposed to be?"

"I dunno... asshole."

:lol

Kak.efes

Not claw marks.
Adama sees a similar tear on the hull in his quarters.
The ship is simply falling apart. It was supposed to be decommissioned years ago- this was before dozens of altercations with the cylons, withstanding multiple nuclear blasts, escaping a supernova, and making an atmospheric jump.

Phoenix

Tabris said:
Question: Anyone else get the impression that the FTL drive had huge claw marks?

No the impression I got was that the ship was on its last legs. The FTL and engine room must be near the core interior of the ship and even there in one of the most crucial and protected parts of the ship, the hull is giving out. Galactica is itself on its last legs - the refuge that would seem they would be able to sit on forever is running out of time so they need to find somewhere to be - stat. This is also hinted to a lot in the "this used to be one hell of a ship" diatribe and many of the scenes which illustrate the ship pretty much dark/underpowered/dirty and in a constant state of disrepair.

Juice

Mr. Durden said:
And was I the only one expecting Lee would get shot bye some guy still hiding somewhere after his whole grenade maneuver?

Oh yeah, I was sure they were setting that shot up for him to get plugged from the right side.

The Faceless Master said:
it's been a ritual of mine (and many other people) to close my eyes once the drumbeat kicks in.

Absolutely agreed. Once the arc kicked into high gear around the end of season 3, I've fast-forwarded the high speed spoiler set.

Juice

Phoenix said:
No the impression I got was that the ship was on its last legs. The FTL and engine room must be near the core interior of the ship and even there in one of the most crucial and protected parts of the ship, the hull is giving out. Galactica is itself on its last legs - the refuge that would seem they would be able to sit on forever is running out of time so they need to find somewhere to be - stat. This is also hinted to a lot in the "this used to be one hell of a ship" diatribe and many of the scenes which illustrate the ship pretty much dark/underpowered/dirty and in a constant state of disrepair.

You know, I totally agree with you on the theme they're setting up, but I think more practically (as a maintenance engineer), had a realization that had they jumped the ship would have imploded or killed everyone. I expect a token statement to this effect in the next episode.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
BorkBork said:
:lol :lol :lol

I'm not even the biggest fan of BSG and that's just..

Wat. Star Trek Voyager was the most compelling and engaging series on TV during its run. Really put the other Treks to shame (except maybe the short lived Enterprise, which was the best of them all).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
RSTEIN said:
Wat. Star Trek Voyager was the most compelling and engaging series on TV during its run. Really put the other Treks to shame (except maybe the short lived Enterprise, which was the best of them all).

Now I know you're joking. Knock it off, it's getting scary.

RSTEIN said:

Stardust2007DvDripEng-FXG-1.gif

Juice

RSTEIN said:
Star Trek Voyager.

:lol, whether this is a joke post or not, I really did love just about the entire Voyager run. I try not to advertise that fact, since it's so (rightly) panned critically as being largely pulp.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Juice said:
:lol, whether this is a joke post or not, I really did love just about the entire Voyager run. I try not to advertise that fact, since it's so (rightly) panned critically as being largely pulp.

Yeah, I liked it too. It had a naive charm about it.

The correct answer to the inquiry is:

The Wire
The Shield
Deadwood

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
RSTEIN said:

You cant be serious...

Juice said:
I know no one else in this thread is biased, but is there a dramatic series that even holds a candle to this one? Ever?

Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of the show and it definitely has is moments, but The Shield, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Sopranos, Rescue Me....

I dunno im sure i could go on, but if it wasn't for all the religious bullshit they've been throwing out in the last couple seasons then the show could have been on of the great dramas. I think everyone can agree that eps like these that focus on survival and internal conflicts of the characters are miles above the ones dealing with the prophecy nonsense.

KHarvey16

Wolfwood0 said:
I dunno im sure i could go on, but if it wasn't for all the religious bullshit they've been throwing out in the last couple seasons then the show could have been on of the great dramas. I think everyone can agree that eps like these that focus on survival and internal conflicts of the characters are miles above the ones dealing with the prophecy nonsense.

Last couple seasons? The whole religion thing has been a central theme the entire time.

Chris R

rhfb said:
So I didn't think this deserved its own thread, but I'm LTTP. Watched the Miniseries last night and it was GOOD.

Things that make me sad are the fact that there isn't a Blu Ray release out right now, and the fact that the DVDs are so damn expensive. I'm just going to have to netflix my way one disc at a time through the entire series, but that is going to take forever :(

Any word on a Blu Ray release, or place where I can pick up seasons for less than 50$ ? I'll peak back into this thread at my post and try not to read anything else since I don't want to be spoiled :(
ANYONE??? :( I want to catch up so badly, but not for nearly 200$ for a nonHD release :(

RSTEIN said:

Wolfwood0 said:

I really don't get the complaints about religion in the show (which have been prominent from the get go, not just the past two seasons). It would be incredibly unrealistic if after all they've been through people wouldn't turn to religion. There's hope in religion.
And please don't try and speak for everyone. You lose all credibility when you dictate how you think everyone feels or should feel.

I do think the Baltar cult has been the weakest plot line this season, However it feels like they are making a joke out of it now, because they realize what a misstep it was.

Darklord

Banned
Ezenzer said:
And on a related note: Tricia Helfer is awesome. What an amazing actress she's turned out to be, and I'm going to miss seeing all of the Sixes in their various iterations. Head-Six, Gina, Natalie, Caprica Six, Godfrey... at times it was almost easy to forget they were played by the same woman.

Where is head-six? She's been gone for a while now.

Neptune

Regarding the whereabouts of Gaius' Head Six,
in a deleted scene from 4.0's "Escape Velocity", she says she's leaving him. A quote: "You’re not alone any more, Gaius. You’ll be tested in ways you’ve never imagined, but you have your faith now. There’ll be other angels to help light your path." Here's a link where you can see the scene in question. Personally, I think the decision to cut such an important shift in one of the entire series' central relationships and relegate it to a DVD extra feature is offensive. In addition to that, you can see that in this link to official promotional pictures for "Sometimes A Great Notion" that she apparently appears on Earth at some point, yet we didn't get to see it. Furthermore, according to Bear McCreary's blog, in the scene where Gaius is having his crisis of faith in "A Disquiet Follows My Soul", Head Six re-appears to comfort Gaius in the version of the scene the composer was responsible for scoring.

I would assume that her return to the broadcast versions of the episodes is inevitable, and will probably coincide with the explanation of the nature of the head-characters that Ronald D. Moore promised. However, all of these omissions only serve to obliterate layers and textures to Gaius and Head Six' interesting relationship in the versions of the episodes that maybe 80% of the audience will ever see. At least having them re-integrated into the episodes on the DVDs would make it less tragic, but as far as I know they didn't bother with that for the 4.0 release.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
The Storyteller said:
:I really don't get the complaints about religion in the show (which have been prominent from the get go, not just the past two seasons). It would be incredibly unrealistic if after all they've been through people wouldn't turn to religion. There's hope in religion.
And please don't try and speak for everyone. You lose all credibility when you dictate how you think everyone feels or should feel.

I do think the Baltar cult has been the weakest plot line this season, However it feels like they are making a joke out of it now, because they realize what a misstep it was.

You guys misunderstand me. I know that the religious aspect of the show has always been there and im not talkng about people turning to religion in tough times. I dont even have any real problem with Baltar's cult.

Im talking about specifically the episodes that delt with validating the prophecy, which imo have been alot more prevalent the last 2 seasons. Before there were internal conflicts that delt directly with their survival, (the presidents mutiny, the Pegasus, new Caprica,). But after that there was a lull where all i was hearing was "prophecy this", "you have a destiny that". I didnt hate the episodes, but i couldnt help but think that the earlier slice of life episodes were better.

Now we get to the last to episodes which everyone on this thread is hailing as a masterpiece and the reason is because they got back to business dealing with real people with problems other than "do we believe the prophecy or not".

You might not agree but hopefully i have explained myself well enough.

Phoenix said:

Pretty much exactly what I said several pages back. The ship is not going to continue on forever, they don't have enough supplies to repair it, and it was set to go offline in the first episode. It's gone through hell since then. Finding a new home is becoming more imperative.

Walshicus

Gowans007 said:
Wow I just watch the last ep, intense! The Quarum part was so brutal. You do not mess with Odama.
Have I missed some really lame joke where people intentionally screw up the spelling of BSG character names?

Juice said:
I know no one else in this thread is biased, but is there a dramatic series that even holds a candle to this one? Ever?
A lot of the times this show can be melodramatic, but it is the most dramatic show I've ever watched
I am 16 (ALMOST 17), though.

Yaweee

Neptune said:
Regarding the whereabouts of Gaius' Head Six,
in a deleted scene from 4.0's "Escape Velocity", she says she's leaving him. A quote: "You’re not alone any more, Gaius. You’ll be tested in ways you’ve never imagined, but you have your faith now. There’ll be other angels to help light your path." Here's a link where you can see the scene in question. Personally, I think the decision to cut such an important shift in one of the entire series' central relationships and relegate it to a DVD extra feature is offensive. In addition to that, you can see that in this link to official promotional pictures for "Sometimes A Great Notion" that she apparently appears on Earth at some point, yet we didn't get to see it. Furthermore, according to Bear McCreary's blog, in the scene where Gaius is having his crisis of faith in "A Disquiet Follows My Soul", Head Six re-appears to comfort Gaius in the version of the scene the composer was responsible for scoring.

I would assume that her return to the broadcast versions of the episodes is inevitable, and will probably coincide with the explanation of the nature of the head-characters that Ronald D. Moore promised. However, all of these omissions only serve to obliterate layers and textures to Gaius and Head Six' interesting relationship in the versions of the episodes that maybe 80% of the audience will ever see. At least having them re-integrated into the episodes on the DVDs would make it less tragic, but as far as I know they didn't bother with that for the 4.0 release.

What the fuck is up with the show's editors? How can you delete a scene that important to one of the show's original mysteries?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Sir Fragula said:
Have I missed some really lame joke where people intentionally screw up the spelling of BSG character names?
:lol
my wife said Odama out loud yesterday when she was talking about the episode, I kinda laughed a little, then she corrected herself and said "Obama. ADAMA!!" I lol'd

~Kinggi~

Banned
Juice said:
In strict sci-fi sense, involving space and the future, no other show comes close, since no other show actually attempted to portray the future with the type of realism and emotion BSG does.

But in a dramatic sense, I'd say a show like the X-Files surpasses it (i'm a big fanboy though). It has both the high concept nature BSG does as well as the emotional centers of its characters dealing with a variety of topics.

gofreak said:
I was slightly disappointed there was no further exposition of Gaeta/Hoshi in the main episodes, particularly in light of Gaeta's semi-betrayal of him.

Moore mentions this in his podcast. The Gaeta webisodes were filmed after the fact so they are in essence something that were done as an after idea.

Which sort of makes it even more interesting that Gaeta would have still done all this even without the events that occured in the webisodes.

Obviously two very good episodes. Probably momentum wise the two best since the Pegasus Arc back in Season 2.

If I had to nit pick I would have probably tried to balance the ledger even more so that Gaeta and Zarek were less the obvious bad guys in this instance although of course our true sympathies as an audience are always going to be with Adama.

The Gaeta/Baltar scene at the end was great even though few words were exchanged. One of my favorites scenes of the entire run of the show simply because of the odd history the two share.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Stoney Mason said:
Moore mentions this in his podcast. The Gaeta webisodes were filmed after the fact so they are in essence something that were done as an after idea.

I wonder why the entire Hoshi angle was put in then. It didn't really accomplish anything.

NimbusD

Stoney Mason said:

Which sort of makes it even more interesting that Gaeta would have still done all this even without the events that occured in the webisodes.

Obviously two very good episodes. Probably momentum wise the two best since the Pegasus Arc back in Season 2.

If I had to nit pick I would have probably tried to balance the ledger even more so that Gaeta and Zarek were less the obvious bad guys in this instance although of course our true sympathies as an audience are always going to be with Adama.

The Gaeta/Baltar scene at the end was great even though few words were exchanged. One of my favorites scenes of the entire run of the show simply because of the odd history the two share.

Yeah I also have a few nit picks for otherwise amazing frakking episodes. One of them being Zarek and Gaeta being the obvious badguys where BSG usually tends to sympathise with the bad guys more than this. I think they did this with Gaeta actually, just Zarek really didn't have any real character ark in this situation he's just a driving force of corruption with no beginning or end. Though I do have to give Richard Hatch major props for his portrayal, I read in an interview that he was having major problems ending the show portraying this opaquely evil character and I think some of the personal hurt of that showed through and added a subtle different dimension there.

The other nit pick would be that everything seems to have wrapped up a bit too nicely, being as we started with Dualla commiting suicide, the fleet tearing itself apart, some amazing scenes of Olmos declaring that no one participating will be spared. Then all we see is the two heads of the coup be exicuted without the others who made it possible (again it could have been time/budget constraints) but the way these episodes have been heading I was fully expecting to see hotdog or racetrack up there. I know that's a very small nitpick in the big whole of things but whatever.

Oh and while I'm nitpicking, the president seems to be on and off sometimes, the speech to the fleet was on, while the weak persuasion of the cylons really ticked me off. I would have expected her to put them on a guilt trip about how the coup is coming about as a result of them trying to integrate the cylons into the fleet, making them full citizens. Now the cylons want to run at the first sign of trouble. But no she didn't even touch on that or anything else important.

But really, whatever this show has been so frakking amazing. I love the scene with gaeta and Baltar, and the fact that it was a comment on almost the whole arc of the series in a greater sense. Too often in tv series the writers forget what happened two seasons before and relationships between people lose their context(and in some cases, not naming names, but shows forget what's going on after only a few episodes) but not BSG.

God, I'm going to miss this show.

NimbusD said:
Yeah I also have a few nit picks for otherwise amazing frakking episodes. One of them being Zarek and Gaeta being the obvious badguys where BSG usually tends to sympathise with the bad guys more than this. I think they did this with Gaeta actually, just Zarek really didn't have any real character ark in this situation he's just a driving force of corruption with no beginning or end. Though I do have to give Richard Hatch major props for his portrayal, I read in an interview that he was having major problems ending the show portraying this opaquely evil character and I think some of the personal hurt of that showed through and added a subtle different dimension there.

Yeah I meant to post this earlier. Richard Hatch has always done a really great job with Tom Zarek. Zarek is pretty much the closest thing to an evil archetype in BSG but Hatch has always done his best with what he has been given and has sort of given the character a better performance than it deserves. You're completely right in that he's always given the character a certain sort of sadness imo

Moore also points out something a good point in that Zarek is correct in that he wants to kill Adama immdiately because he recognizes him as the threat he is but Gaeta has a different agenda and really wants to convict and make Adama understand he is wrong.

I would have also liked maybe just one scene where Gaeta goes to Adama privately and warns him about his concerns but Adama kind of nicely blows him off. That would have gone a long way towards giving him better motivation. That being said I thought both episodes were great.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I never sympathized with Zarek, in fact, I've wanted him to die so badly for a long long time. In that respect, the story delivered something that I had been wanting, which was no sympathy for the character, just that he die. My wife was like "YESSSSSSsssssss take that Zarek!!" at the end.

Treo360

I always thought that putting Hatch in the series was just a measure to "shut him up." I remember reading that he had nothing but negative things to say about he re-imagined series. I'm glad he's out, pity it took so long to give him the boot.

Treo360 said:
I always thought that putting Hatch in the series was just a measure to "shut him up." I remember reading that he had nothing but negative things to say about he re-imagined series. I'm glad he's out, pity it took so long to give him the boot.

He had his own vision of a new Galactica series, and for fans of the original, his ideas were pretty great actually. He even went so far as to film a 7 or 8 minute trailer to pitch it back in the day before Moore's version got picked up. That trailer had a number of of the original actors from the first series reprising their rolls in a "20 years later" kin of approach. It's hard to imagine his "vision" now, because this version turned out so good, and I haven't heard him say anything negative or against the show once it launched and got on track.

Personally I think he was great in the roll of Zarek. I won't miss the character, as he was always an evil bastard, but Hatch was excellent in the roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom