• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Akiller

I saw that Too Regi, but i didn't pick up it since it came out just after i beat up
Rodin
and i didn't want to risk. Does it unlock anything?

Got some more Bayo goodness in the mail today:

20141222-pc220285fwuo1.jpg

A few sneak peeks so you know what you can expect, never more than about 1/3rd of a page. If that's not ok, tell me I'll remove them:

If you like Bayonetta and if you like art books, you should buy this.

Golnei

Got some more Bayo goodness in the mail today:

A few sneak peeks so you know what you can expect, never more than about 1/3rd of a page. If that's not ok, tell me I'll remove them:

The art is amazing, but you probably shouldn't be posting any direct images of it here.

I don't have the book itself yet, but I've seen a few pieces from it floating around -
Aesir's
Kaneko-esque unused design and Bayonetta's
baby costume
were particularly interesting.

The art is amazing, but you probably shouldn't be posting any direct images of it here.

I don't have the book itself yet, but I've seen a few pieces from it floating around -
Aesir's
Kaneko-esque unused design and Bayonetta's
baby costume
were particularly interesting.

I asked a Mod, the snippets are fine. ;-)

And yeah, the alternate design are always the most interesting parts of game art books for me. They chose the best one for Bayonetta, she looks weird with a mullet.

Golnei

where do you get the hammer? Think i might have missed it on my playthrough.

Spread across Chapter 8 (verse 5, Allegiance battle; verse 7, behind the portal) and Chapter 9 (verse 6, platform off to the side of the main path). I really have to try using the hammer more - I know it can be relatively useful with offset charges, but it's nowhere near as fun as the rest of the game's arsenal. Even slower weapons like Chernabog and the Chain Chomp are very intuitive to pick up, but Takemikazuchi seems to require a bit more work.

Puflwiz

Banned
I'm missing like two or three broken witch hearts and I have no idea where they are. Is there a way to check what ones I already have? I don't remember if the original had that or not.
sorry of this was asked before

NEO0MJ

I'm missing like two or three broken witch hearts and I have no idea where they are. Is there a way to check what ones I already have? I don't remember if the original had that or not.

This is a really hard question to answer because there's so many of them. Dd you clear all Alfheims?

I wish that after you clear the game they would add a notification above each stage showing what you missed in it.

Regiruler

This is a really hard question to answer because there's so many of them. Dd you clear all Alfheims?

I wish that after you clear the game they would add a notification above each stage showing what you missed in it.

There's a list of Muspelheims and whether you cleared them or not.
Speaking of which I wish they had that in Wonderful 101. Trying to remember all the Kahkoo-Regah ACROSS THREE DIFFICULTIES is a tremendous pain in the ass, so much so that I have a google doc to keep track.

NEO0MJ

There's a list of Muspelheims and whether you cleared them or not.
Speaking of which I wish they had that in Wonderful 101. Trying to remember all the Kahkoo-Regah ACROSS THREE DIFFICULTIES is a tremendous pain in the ass, so much so that I have a google doc to keep track.

I meant generally, not just Muspelheims. A lot of hearts/pearls are in chests/hidden across chapters.

Puflwiz

Banned

Yeah I did. I'm just running through the game with the
chain chomp
equipted trying to hunt down any chests I missed. It might just be hidden verses though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think Infinite climax might be a little much for me at this point. There has to be something about the combat system that I don't know lol

I think Infinite climax might be a little much for me at this point. There has to be something about the combat system that I don't know lol

You already know it, it's "don't get hit"... at least that's what I'm telling myself all the time while getting hit all the time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You already know it, it's "don't get hit"... at least that's what I'm telling myself all the time while getting hit all the time.

I wish. I was doing the first secret mission and the thing just kept parrying my attacks. I couldn't do enough damage in time. Is there some form of guard break or something?

popyea

I wish. I was doing the first secret mission and the thing just kept parrying my attacks. I couldn't do enough damage in time. Is there some form of guard break or something?

Use wicked weaves. And use dodge offset to get them (ie. dodge to keep distance and keep your combo). It's not a great solution though. It feels like the best strategy is to not attack until you get witch time, but that's no fun at all.

Bombless

Can you turn it off while it's active and save some magic? Or is there an accessory that puts you in serious mode as in the first game?

Yeah, if you press the button again it'll turn off. But you won't be able to re-engage it until your magic gauge is full again.

Akiller

We're on the same boat, i'm missing just one piece and i can't find it anywhere. I beat all the Muspelheims and opened all the Umbran witch resting places(the ones you have to restore before opening them).

daripad

Just finished chapter 5 and I think this game is way better than the prequel. Combat is as fin but new weapons make it way too fun, specially the Bow, I feel more badass than ever. The artstyle is way better imo, it makes it easier to look at the enemies and you know when to dodge properly. Boos battles have been amazing too, pretty spectacular and less gimicky than in the first game.

The story is the only thing I'd say is weaker so far but I really don't pay attention to it as I just want more combat.

Regiruler

Chain Chomp + Kafka is soooo gooooood for witch trials. P4 + K is a devastating combo, and no need to be in melee range since Kafka has long range combos.

Also realized that Kafka's dash attack is how to enable melee, similar to how Kulshedra from Bayo 1 had a punch attack if you grabbed and held.

IKizzLE

Learning how to dodge offset with the Takemizu hammer will make quick work of enemies in IC.

Also, you can just you the bracelet of time and control your own witch time, which makes IC much easier.

And if your really down and out, pick Rosa+Bracelet of Time+Evil Harvest Rosary and spam PKP.

IKizzLE

Yeah I did. I'm just running through the game with the
chain chomp
equipted trying to hunt down any chests I missed. It might just be hidden verses though.

There are two hidden underwater in the first verse.
One is immediately as you start and another is in the 2nd area where you have to swim, where the second Musphelim is located.

Also, did you get the one from when your divebombing into hell the first time, right before you fight Phantasmarana(fire spider)?

Also, there is a heart in the 2nd or 3rd chapter that its in a hidden verse in a pool of water.

Lastly, there are a bunch in hidden in chests in the chapter where your playing alongside Rosa.

Inside Insidious Balder is kicking my ass on Infinite Climax... any tipps (except get good)?
Equip Kafka and Alruna. Use Kafka or Y Gun charge shots outside of WT, during WT press and hold K to whip grab him. His attacks are very fast, be ready to dodge or mix in dodges with the Kafka/Y Gun.

Super ez methods: spam items and/or use bracelet of time

Are you talking about the first Alfheim? Equip Evil Harvest Rosary and use the Takemizuguchi (hammer), hit him with a level 2 charge then finish the PPPP combo. It should be nearly dead after that, either dodge to get harvest bombs or land an attack or two and finish it.

Regiruler

Finally beat witch trials 3 and 4. Since i got the Umbra Witches card yesterday, I finally now have all the tag climax cards.
Can't believe I still have to watch sidescrolling cutscenes even with Nintendo funding this game. :/
Just because Nintendo is funding it doesn't mean it has a significantly bigger budget than the first game.

Golnei

So, assuming the DLC alluded to by Kuroda is mainly creative reconstitution of existing assets, as with Metal Gear Rising, I'd expect something along these lines in the best case scenario.

+Tag Climax cards for Joy, Gracious & Glorious, Ardor & Father Rodin, maybe Jubileus if they can somehow make her enjoyable to fight
+
Balder
and Rodin can be used in Witch Trials

BAYONETTA
+ Lt. Col. Kilgore
+ Couture Bullet "d'Arc" (B1 Jeanne)
+ Couture Bullet "Rouen" (B2 Jeanne) - The premier piece from the winter collection of Jeanne's beloved Italian fashion brand "d'Arc." Its stylish lines disguise a surprising degree of practicality.

JEANNE
+ Garnet Roses
+ Couture Bullet "Umbran Komachi"
+ Couture Bullet "Queen"

ROSA
+ Thunder Edge (Pillow Talk) - A demonic blade of lightning wielded by gods and demons alike. Those without sufficient resolve often find themselves completely overcome by its powerful will.
+ Midgardsormr (Kulshedra) - Born from the departed god of chaos, the world serpent Midgardsormr is said to encircle Purgatorio and the human realm in its entirety. The portal on this whip's hilt allows the use of the merest fraction of its power.
+ Yama (Durga) - The last remnants of the soul of Yama, said to be the first mortal to meet his end, are contained within these claws. With his power, strikes of fire and lightning can be called upon.
+ Chen Zhen (Sai Fung)
+ Odile (Odette) - These skates are inextricably linked to the power of the icy queen of Cocytus, Odile. From within her prison of frost, she grants cursed immortality to those who catch her eye, pulling their strings as they dance through her personal corner of hell.
+ Golden Chomp (Chain Chomp)
+ Jubileus (Original Rodin) - Mysterious bracelets once used by the goddess Jubileus to breathe life into the denizens of Paradiso. Depending on the power of its user, these bracelets can take on many different forms.
+ Couture Bullet "Witch Apprentice" (Umbran Neophyte)
+ Couture Bullet "Romée" (B1 Umbran Elder) - The ancestral robes of the Umbra's ruler, passed endlessly through the pages of history. While their rightful bearer may have perished, as long as one still lives who can wear them, the shadow remains cast.
+ Super Mirror 64, with Couture Bullet "Star Mercenary Emeritus" (James McCloud)

RODIN
+ Couture Bullet "Krampus" (Santa) - When the festive season rolls around, even demons have to advertise. Though it might not be attracting too many customers, this costume will surely raise the spirits of the good little angels you're about to crush into oblivion.
+ Renamed Umbran Climax (Cthonic Catalyst? Anathema Mechanism?)

BALDER
+ Couture Bullet "Possessed" (
B1 Balder
) - The formal robes of the last living Lumen Sage, driven into isolation and madness by a poisoned mind.
+ Renamed Wicked Weaves (Pious Plumes), Witch Time (Light Speed) and Umbran Climax (Lumen...Incipience? Baptism? Impetus?)
+ Rosary of Blessings (Evil Harvest Rosary) - A set of prayer beads blessed by the radiant goddess Amaterasu and guarded by generations of sages. When its user dodges incoming danger, the beads will launch a magical counter-strike against the attacker. While the attack is incredibly powerful, it sucks the spiritual strength from its user, stripping them of the ability to activate Light Speed.
+ Tyr's Wrist (Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa) - The arm of a supremely lawful sage who devoted himself to spilling the blood of the wicked, lost as he sacrificed his body to a near-unconquerable beast. One who takes up his remnants would be blessed with his peerless swordsmanship, conferring upon them the ability to repel nearly any strike.
+ Benevolent Gaze (Gaze of Despair) - Anathematic braces whose creation was guided by the Cardinal Virtue of Prudence itself. Sending denizens of heaven and hell alike into a frenzied state, the Auditio blessed bearers of these items with truly challenging trials.
+ Virtuous Timepiece (Bracelet of Time) - An accessory worn by vigilantes craving justice through the annals of history. Among this watch's centuple wonders is the ability to grant its user a heroic sensitivity to their surroundings, becoming able to slip into Light Speed at will.
+ Choker of Regret (Earrings of Ruin) - An elegant golden necklace crafted by the witch Rosa, containing enough dark power to allow even a Lumen Sage to summon Umbran Armor.
+ Baptismal Vambrace (Climax Brace 2) - A mysterious treasure that pushes its user to newfound heights. A special orb equivalent to the magic power consumed will increase the strength of your Celestial Plumes.

So, assuming the DLC alluded to by Kuroda is mainly creative reconstitution of existing assets, as with Metal Gear Rising, I'd expect something along these lines in the best case scenario.

Umbran Komachi is my favorite outfit for Jeanne so yess pls.

Would love to see Tang Lung as well!

Regiruler

I'm fine with
Balder
not having his own accessories. The character already plays fantastically.

Meanwhile Rodin needs something like Umbran Spear.

Xeteh

So I've been holding off working on my GOTY list since I knew I was getting this game for Christmas. Goddamn, I'm still super early and this game is already everything I was expecting. It is fantastic. Can't wait to get further.

Dubz

Just finished Chapter 14. This game may dethrone Ninja Gaiden Black as the best action game of all time. I need to finish it, but I'm leaning In that direction. NGB has more consistent combat, but the epicness of Bayo 2 trumps all. Holy shit I love this game.

Golnei

A "create your own alfheim or witch trial" editor would be cool.

That could work well - Tag Climax lets you fight anything in the game whenever you want, but a tool that let you set a specific series of challenges under custom time limits and Alfheim rules could allow for even more interesting scenarios.

I'm fine with
Balder
not having his own accessories. The character already plays fantastically.

Meanwhile Rodin needs something like Umbran Spear.

He doesn't need any more tools, but they wouldn't be a bad addition if being built from existing accessories would allow them to be created with a relatively low dev cost. As for Rodin - while he is much more difficult to use, all I think he needs is an alternate, faster / weaker moveset that uses his Wicked Weave equivalents from the boss battle, and access to a variant of the Bangle of Time. His low mobility options shouldn't be a problem unless he becomes a story chapter character, which probably isn't happening.

Blood and Darkness is in the sound gallery, but I don't remember hearing it in game. Does anyone know where is it used?

One of the Jeanne battles in the Witch Trials, I think.

Dreavus

I hate that it was just a calendar.

Why couldn't it have been this? WHY

Painguy

Hi guys I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but is there a good resource for learning how to play this game? I'm starting with Bayo 1 and I'm on chapter 5. I die two or 3 times per chapter. I'm still having a lot of fun despite dying on normal, but I'd very much like to play the game properly.

Goddamnit, after more than 20 tries I've managed to beat Insidious Balder fair and square on IC... but barely, half the damage done was dodge explosion via Evil Harvest Rosary. He is so damn fast I can barely predict his teleporting counter attacks, makes me downright angry ;)

Hi guys I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but is there a good resource for learning how to play this game? I'm starting with Bayo 1 and I'm on chapter 5. I die two or 3 times per chapter. I'm still having a lot of fun despite dying on normal, but I'd very much like to play the game properly.

I say that dying on your first run on Normal in Bayonetta 1 is totally acceptable, I think it's a hard game even on normal. You will breeze through it on your second run or when you return to earlier chapters later on though. Just dodge as much as you can and get to know the enemy behaviours on your first run, the rest will come with it.

Mecca

The same thing is happening to me except in Bayo 2 on normal. It's a good thing I don't care about medals because more often than not, I'm getting stones. lol I played for about two hours last night and realized that this game is not meant for me. I have a horrible memory so I suck at combos and end up just mashing buttons/dodging a lot. If I actually make it to the end of this game without dying a few times in each chapter, it will be a miracle.

Adaren

I have a horrible memory so I suck at combos and end up just mashing buttons/dodging a lot.

Combos aren't about hardcore memorization; there's only two buttons that make up the majority of the combos, and there's often a pattern to those buttons! Paying attention to Bayonetta's movements also offers a great visual cue to remind you of what a combo looks like.

Consider Love is Blue on both hands and feet, which has one of the larger movesets in the game. All of these are combos:

PPPPP
PPPPK
PPPKKK
PPKKK
PKK
KKKK

Notice a pattern? All 6 of these combos follow the form [0-5 punches][kick until Wicked Weave(s) come out].

Throw in PKP and PPKP and you've probably learned the majority of Love is Blue's moveset!

Holding down the attack button with Love is Blue to shoot bullets is often a great way to give yourself time to think in the middle of a combo (it's also a good way to practice incorporating Dodge Offset).

And dodging frequently definitely isn't the worst thing in the world. Dodging in this game is intentionally very powerful and helps you keep up with the numerous tough enemies you'll face. That said, try to get in the habit of dodging when you see an enemy's attack cue to activate Witch Time.

Top Bottom