• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Mecca

Combos aren't about hardcore memorization; there's only two buttons that make up the majority of the combos, and there's often a pattern to those buttons! Paying attention to Bayonetta's movements also offers a great visual cue to remind you of what a combo looks like.

Consider Love is Blue on both hands and feet, which has one of the larger movesets in the game. All of these are combos:

PPPPP
PPPPK
PPPKKK
PPKKK
PKK
KKKK

Notice a pattern? All 6 of these combos follow the form [0-5 punches][kick until Wicked Weave(s) come out].

Throw in PKP and PPKP and you've probably learned the majority of Love is Blue's moveset!

Holding down the attack button with Love is Blue to shoot bullets is often a great way to give yourself time to think in the middle of a combo (it's also a good way to practice incorporating Dodge Offset).

And dodging frequently definitely isn't the worst thing in the world. Dodging in this game is intentionally very powerful and helps you keep up with the numerous tough enemies you'll face. That said, try to get in the habit of dodging when you see an enemy's attack cue to activate Witch Time.

Thank you for the advice. I will try to be more aware of the enemy's movements. I think I get easily flustered which causes me to start hitting random buttons. I will take another crack at it this afternoon.

Painguy

Hmm so basically the first play through is kinda a tutorial right? That kinda makes sense for this kinda game. I'll keep at it I guess. It just sucks getting stones all teh time and feeling like dodging some moves is impossible lol.

Hmm so basically the first play through is kinda a tutorial right? That kinda makes sense for this kinda game. I'll keep at it I guess. It just sucks getting stones all teh time and feeling like dodging some moves is impossible lol.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be played over and over again so you improve and improve as you play, it's not a one and done game, so to speak.
And I'm personally very ok with that.

Curufinwe

Halfway thru Infinite Climax now and it's been fairly challenging for me, especially the Lumen boss fights. He dodges most of my attacks unless they're just after a block or a witch time dodge.

Finished IC but resorted to Kafka and Chainchomp in the later game, I don't really like to shoot at enemies, I'd rather go toe to toe with them. But I got steamrolled by some enemies in infights so I stepped away from that.

Now that I've seen most of the game I have to change my statement about the difficulty, I now think the second game is harder than the first. At least on harder difficulties, maybe I just haven't figured Balder out enough... also a possibility.

Adaren

Now that I've seen most of the game I have to change my statement about the difficulty, I now think the second game is harder than the first. At least on harder difficulties, maybe I just haven't figured Balder out enough... also a possibility.

I agree with you. Bayonetta 2 is easier than Bayonetta 1 for someone who's just trying to clear the game, but it's much harder to go for Pure Platinums in 2.

Or maybe I just haven't figured out Balder either. (I can Pure Platinum Jeanne 4 without too much trouble, though)

popyea

I agree with you. Bayonetta 2 is easier than Bayonetta 1 for someone who's just trying to clear the game, but it's much harder to go for Pure Platinums in 2.

Or maybe I just haven't figured out Balder either. (I can Pure Platinum Jeanne 4 without too much trouble, though)

The most prevalent strategy seems to be playing with no agency at all, and only attacking after getting witch time. It's super lame and doesn't make me want to even bother going for Pure Platinum. I already know I can dodge all his attacks on IC now, so if that and holding Y to keep your combo is all there is to it, then it's not going to feel all that rewarding anyway.

IKizzLE

The most prevalent strategy seems to be playing with no agency at all, and only attacking after getting witch time. It's super lame and doesn't make me want to even bother going for Pure Platinum. I already know I can dodge all his attacks on IC now, so if that and holding Y to keep your combo is all there is to it, then it's not going to feel all that rewarding anyway.
Going on the offensive is actually easier. Equip bracelet of time; it won't only force you to take the fight towards him, but it's also easier to pure platinum then just waiting and baiting, especially if you use Rosa.

Golnei

Can you get banned for posting screenshots with profanity on miiverse?

As long as any profanity is within the game itself and not part of your added commentary or art, I think you should be safe.

Though that reminds me of how cute it'd have been if Platinum took advantage of their unique circumstances to reference a certain code from the original Metroid. I could see it working (if slightly modified) as Jeanne's selection quote when wearing the Samus costume.

popyea

Going on the offensive is actually easier. Equip bracelet of time; it won't only force you to take the fight towards him, but it's also easier to pure platinum then just waiting and baiting, especially if you use Rosa.

It doesn't solve the problem of attack and defence having little tangible relationship though. You're still reducing the fight to a layer-less binary of the two, where you're either attacking without impunity or defending until you can. The BoT gives a sense of agency, but manually triggering witch time is a particularly meaningless form of it, since it's essentially a defensive action that bypasses your interaction with the enemy's attack layer.

Edit: Sorry if my this post seems overly negative/dismissive. I'm actually open to different takes on the mechanics and want to discuss it with you guys. This is just what I've observed/analysed during my time with the game (which is probably a lot less than other thread regulars).

Regiruler

Not on IC yet, but have you tried Kafka?
Has more attack opportunities than normal weapons as while it's projectiles are treated like gunshots (i.e. he'll block them in neutral animation, but won't dodge them), they are treated closer to a normal attack in terms of damage. Pair with infernal communicator for increased DPS.

Disregard if I'm full of shit: this is simply what I've used in witch trials, and thought it might extend to the "overdodge" problem in IC. It might not even work. And I'm aware one weapon working doesn't make the overall problem excusable.

Getting my ass kicked by Rodin, largely because I have a hard time dodging his move that reduces your HP to 1. Any reliable way to dodge this? Am I just not timing my dodges correctly, or do I actually have to run away?

Getting my ass kicked by Rodin, largely because I have a hard time dodging his move that reduces your HP to 1. Any reliable way to dodge this? Am I just not timing my dodges correctly, or do I actually have to run away?
It's a grab so you can't use bat/moth/hornet within or parry to avoid. Just dodge backwards at the right time (don't dodge into it).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn... this game. Finally decided to pick it up and play it, despite originally planning to go through the first game beforehand, but I'm glad I did. That was an insane prologue level. Loved it. This is a ton of fun.

On a technical level, this game is super impressive, too. Sure, it may not be using a ton of amazing graphical techniques, but the fact that it's pulling off this level of spectacle, all in real time and at a stable frame rate that's close to 60 more often than not, and with no LOD or texture pop-in in sight, is really quite impressive.

Mecca

Ok, I'm an idiot. I'm half way through this game and just now realized you can break those treasure chests by kicking them. lol I think I tried kicking one in the beginning and it didn't break so I thought I had to unlock something later. I didn't know you had to keep at it. You get a lot of good stuff in there too. I was wasting my points on lollipops in the store when I could have gotten a good chunk of them from the chests. ::facepalm::

Platinumed 3rd Climax. This game addressed all the problems I had with the first one and I just can't put it down. Loving the boss fights especially the Masked Lumen ones. If DMC5 isn't going to be on the level of this game then I don't even want it. Platinum showing people how it's done.

Anyone wants to tag climax my Nintendo ID is J_Macgrady.

Ugh, almost got Rodin but he ended up killing me while he had a small chunk of HP left. :( So I've been dodging and it's been working a bit better, but I actually found out you can just UC and attack and he won't be able to grab you. Problem is sometimes I'm too close and he grabs me before I can UC lol...

Well, I'll get him sooner or later...

Mysterious Destiny < Tomorrow is Mine << Fly Me to the Moon < Moon River

If only the game
played Moon River more. D: D: D:

I find it remarkable how these songs work so much better for my personal taste within the game. I'd never say these are bad songs, they are classics. But I never listened to them on their own, I could listen all day though when the credits roll in Bayonetta1/2.

Golnei

That and the complete lack of dancing cutscenes.
Actually, the first game had better cutscenes in general.

I kind of feel that repeating the dancing epilogue of the first game would have been a mistake - even their choice to do another poledancing sequence came across as stale - but I agree that the ending felt a little emptier without something to replace it. If they had a higher animation budget, I would have loved to see them do something like the cast performing B2's credits theme in the Gates of Hell, with Bayo on lead vocals, Jeanne and Rosa as backup singers, Loki as the drummer, Luka on piano and Rodin and Balder on saxophone and trumpet. Finishing off with Bayonetta dropping the mic and walking away as the curtains close, of course.

If only the game
played Moon River more. D: D: D:

I've said this before, but playing Moon River during
Chapter 16's Jetfighter Assault
would have been absolutely perfect; bookending the game's opening and ending through similar gameplay scenarios as well as reinforcing Jeanne and Bayonetta's reunion - if they had done that, its limited use throughout the game would actually have had a really effective payoff.

And just think of how amazing it would have been if it started up right after the
"kind of witches you don't fuck with"
exchange.

Mecca

Why in the hell did I unlock Breakdance? Now she keeps randomly breakdancing during battle. So annoying. Why does it have to be the same button as dodge?

Capra

^^^ Breakdance works wonders in racking up magic for torture attacks. Just dodge into witch time, then breakdance into a crowd. Especially useful for Alfheims where you need to kill with a certain number of TAs.

Sub Boss said:
Anybody watched the animated movie?

I'm mildly curious about it, though the consensus on GAF seems to be that it's pretty bad. How's the animation?

Astral Dog

^^^ Breakdance works wonders in racking up magic for torture attacks. Just dodge into witch time, then breakdance into a crowd. Especially useful for Alfheims where you need to kill with a certain number of TAs.

I'm mildly curious about it, though the consensus on GAF seems to be that it's pretty bad. How's the animation?
Its bad, the characters look weird, bad CGI.
It has pretty backdrops, good music, and thats it, what annoyed me most was the unnecessary fanservice, unlike the games, the movie has a more serious tone.
Its a reinterpretation of the first game.
hmm, they also made Balder a tragic character, i think i like the movie version more, as Balder in 2 had a weird excuse that felt more forced.In the movie he is his own character.at least.

That and the complete lack of dancing cutscenes.
Actually, the first game had better cutscenes in general.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Bayonetta feels a lot sassier and more talkative in the original. I guess you can say the developers wanted to show a different side of her, but I really didn't buy Bayonetta for that. She's still very confident, but her lines are lacking a little oomph, IMO.

Also, finally beat Rodin!

popyea

Yeah, I feel the same way. Bayonetta feels a lot sassier and more talkative in the original. I guess you can say the developers wanted to show a different side of her, but I really didn't buy Bayonetta for that. She's still very confident, but her lines are lacking a little oomph, IMO.

Also, finally beat Rodin!

In the first game she had amnesia, and was pretty much a lone spirit. Her relationships were "strictly business" in the sense that they were founded on deals or mutual benefit. She didn't care about threat, and would taunt confidently in the face of it. She acted like the centre of attention and would control the scene with a calm strut. But then I guess she goes through a arc in the final acts when she regains her memory. Seems like Platinum thought it would be appropriate for the arc to carry through, but it means she's lost all the appeal she initially had. I like her better when she doesn't care, and is just in it for herself. I don't mind if that means she puts other people in danger occasionally (as long as she uses her extremely capable self to keep them from dying). It's so much cooler when she's out to do her own thing while fending off the futile attempts to stop her.

Finally cleared Witch Trial V. The bracelet of time is a blessing lol!

But, did anyone get their Eyes of Bayonetta 2 book? Mine came in a couple of days ago and it's beautiful! Thanks amazon jp!
tumblr_nh0kstTqJ81rqygzmo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nh0kstTqJ81rqygzmo2_1280.jpg

Teletraan1

Banned
Just started this after completing/playing Bayo 1 for the first time. Not too far in but I can see already that the game strips away all the garbage I didn't like about the first game and really puts what the game does best, the combat front and center. As I got further into Bayo 1 I felt my skills improving and I have been able to start strong in this game. I also find the graphics to be a nice step up from the first. Perhaps it is just color and tone but the first game seemed so drab compared to this one and the texture work seems like a bit of a step up.

Adaren

In the first game she had amnesia, and was pretty much a lone spirit. Her relationships were "strictly business" in the sense that they were founded on deals or mutual benefit. She didn't care about threat, and would taunt confidently in the face of it. She acted like the centre of attention and would control the scene with a calm strut. But then I guess she goes through a arc in the final acts when she regains her memory. Seems like Platinum thought it would be appropriate for the arc to carry through, but it means she's lost all the appeal she initially had. I like her better when she doesn't care, and is just in it for herself. I don't mind if that means she puts other people in danger occasionally (as long as she uses her extremely capable self to keep them from dying). It's so much cooler when she's out to do her own thing while fending off the futile attempts to stop her.

*Bayo 1/2 spoilers*

I get that part of Bayonetta's sass and confidence in the first game was her putting on a facade to cover her insecurities about her past/amnesia, but a major part of the plot is that baby-Bayo is inspired by her future-self's confidence. She regains her memories because she has the strength to overcome her mother's death and her fear. "I'm not afraid anymore, mummy. No matter what. There's nothing I cannot do."

In short, I don't think there's a plot reason for her changes in personality / the game's changes in tone.

I really only have two major complaints about this game, and they both concern Bayonetta's characterization:
1. Bayonetta constantly "losing" boss battles in the latter 70% of the game. I'm dumbfounded as to how they screwed this up as badly as they did.
2. Bayonetta acting subservient to Loki. Specific instances documented here.

At least her personality is still preserved in the gameplay. I'll just skip all the cutscenes...it's a shame, though, as I really liked the cutscenes of the first game.

NEO0MJ

Bayonetta constantly "losing" boss battles in the latter 70% of the game. I'm dumbfounded as to how they screwed this up as badly as they did.

Most bosses in the original seemed to just be willfully sacrificing themselves, they didn't care that they'll die if it means resurrecting Jubi. The only two in the original who fought for real were Balder and Jubi, and Balder defeated and imprisoned her.

Adaren

Most bosses in the original seemed to just be willfully sacrificing themselves, they didn't care that they'll die if it means resurrecting Jubi. The only two in the original who fought for real were Balder and Jubi, and Balder defeated and imprisoned her.

Perhaps, in the plot, the Audito viewed themselves as sacrifices for the Creator, but did it feel that way to the player? Did you feel like the bosses were sacrificing themselves to you? Of course not! You felt like you were a tiny character going up against a massive construct who could easily pass as the final boss in any other game, complete with epic orchestral music. Your victory was punctuated with upbeat dance music and inappropriately brutal QTEs that dispelled the sense of tension and made the epic bosses look weak; in retrospect, there was never any doubt that Bayonetta was going to stylishly win, right?

With Balder, you get to see a bullet in the boss' forehead and a multi-minute victory cutscene before he gets up and says "You've done exactly what I wanted you too! And you couldn't have possibly foreseen my crazy complex plan!".

Contrast that with The Prophet, Lumen 3, and Loptr where Bayonetta literally gets knocked down and beaten up moments after you stylishly and flawlessly defeat the boss. Contrast it with Aesir, where Bayonetta doesn't get her victorious QTE until Loki saves her and depowers the boss, invalidating your entire fight. Alraune also has an unsatisfying end, with Rodin stepping in and telling you to "chill, woman". Insidious is finished off by Loki's out-of-nowhere super attack, and even then the end result is you getting sucked into the boss and falling unconscious inside its innards.

Lumen Sage 1 and 2 are also relatively unsatisfying, both ending in a "draw" (Lumen Sage 1 has Bayonetta falling unconscious into the ocean and Loki kissing her, but that's another issue entirely...we'll just call it a draw). Compare that with the Jeanne 2 and Jeanne 3 from the first game, where Jeanne would be hunched over and out-of-breath even while she continued to exchange sassy taunts with you.

Astral Dog

Perhaps, in the plot, the Audito viewed themselves as sacrifices for the Creator, but did it feel that way to the player? Did you feel like the bosses were sacrificing themselves to you? Of course not! You felt like you were a tiny character going up against a massive construct who could easily pass as the final boss in any other game, complete with epic orchestral music. Your victory was punctuated with upbeat dance music and inappropriately brutal QTEs that dispelled the sense of tension and made the epic bosses look weak; in retrospect, there was never any doubt that Bayonetta was going to stylishly win, right?

With Balder, you get to see a bullet in the boss' forehead and a multi-minute victory cutscene before he gets up and says "You've done exactly what I wanted you too! And you couldn't have possibly foreseen my crazy complex plan!".

Contrast that with The Prophet, Lumen 3, and Loptr where Bayonetta literally gets knocked down and beaten up moments after you stylishly and flawlessly defeat the boss. Contrast it with Aesir, where Bayonetta doesn't get her victorious QTE until Loki saves her and depowers the boss, invalidating your entire fight. Alraune also has an unsatisfying end, with Rodin stepping in and telling you to "chill, woman". Insidious is finished off by Loki's out-of-nowhere super attack, and even then the end result is you getting sucked into the boss and falling unconscious inside its innards.

Lumen Sage 1 and 2 are also relatively unsatisfying, both ending in a "draw" (Lumen Sage 1 has Bayonetta falling unconscious into the ocean and Loki kissing her, but that's another issue entirely...we'll just call it a draw). Compare that with the Jeanne 2 and Jeanne 3 from the first game, where Jeanne would be hunched over and out-of-breath even while she continued to exchange sassy taunts with you.

Adaren

Kamiya probably wanted to up the stakes and make this feel like a real challenge to Bayonetta.

*More Bayo2 spoilers, just like the bottom of the last page*

Then I find it unsatisfying that the woman who punched god into the sun and tore apart aircraft-carrier-sized angels can't beat a human-sized enemy, who's main show of power is beating Bayonetta up in post-boss-battle cutscenes despite me (the player) decimating him in gameplay.

Astral Dog

*More Bayo2 spoilers, just like the bottom of the last page*

Then I find it unsatisfying that the woman who punched god into the sun and tore apart aircraft-carrier-sized angels can't beat a human-sized enemy, who's main show of power is beating Bayonetta up in post-boss-battle cutscenes despite me (the player) decimating him in gameplay.

Since when human sized means less power? Both Balder and Jeanne were more powerful, or at least equal to the Angels, i dont see how that is a valid reason, also, people always forget the detail that it was not Bayonetta that punched Jubileus to the sun, it was her summoning another God with the help of Jeanne to do it. and Jubileus had half her power, you have a good point, but in this case i dont think it should be questioned who is more powerful

Top Bottom