• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 |OT| Bayonettas for every occasion.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Moving and swinging in spider form is so smooth, the movement is vastly improved in this game.

Reactions: Isa

-Zelda-

Banned
I just got the whip and Alraune as summon, it’s seems those red extra chapters it’s how you get extra optional weapons/demons.

200w.gif
:(

My thoughts on Bayonetta 3 first playthrough beaten on October 30 2022 (spoilers):

It was a wild ride overall! This game is definitely as close to Scalebound as well get for now. I loved the demon summons in real time along with the usual Bayonetta combat. Also love the nod to Astral Chain with the flash combos. Felt like the Umbran Climax but more skill based. I was upset Umbran Spear was nerfed, not only was there a delay before it starts but it doesn't warp you to the enemy position all the time...personally my favorite version of the Umbran Spear was Bayonetta 2's version followed by the original in Bayonetta 1. This game definitely made me miss the original 2 Bayonettas, and the nods to both in this game made me tear up. Thematically I got some Clock Tower 3 vibes from this game because of transporting to different locales within the Multiverse and just when I started to feel that vibe, BOOM you get a fucking Clock Tower as a demon summon! I was laughing so hard at that haha. Another negative for me was the pacing gameplay wise in the later half of the game, towards the credits and beyond it. That timed boss battle that had you switch between the Phantom and Malaphas was a pain in the ass, and the post first credits boss battle with Viola vs. the darkness can go fuck itself. This is a nitpick but I wish there were more long range weapons besides the default guns...Bayonetta 1 had a great arsenal in that aspect. Back to the positive, I LOVE the Jeanne's spy action parts! Those along with many of the other arcade genre shift segments were really well executed and polished overall! I wonder how this game will stand the test of time, because right now my impression after my first playthrough is a solid 8/10 game, it was worth the wait as a diehard fan I'd say. When I'm ready I'll try the Witch trials and see how much I can incorporate the demon summons into my combat tactics, but yea...this game is definitely ambitious and well worth it! Some honorable mentions are Viola and the whole stuff with Luka...I'll be honest, wasn't too big on Viola, but it's clear they're setting her up to take over the series reigns perhaps. And Luka was way more involved in unexpected ways than I thought he'd be...it paid off overall, and his ending with Bayonetta had me tearing up. I wonder how that Multiverse system will affect replays, how big of an impact it will have since it seems like it will affect what scenery you'll end up being in in future playthroughs...a mystery to be unraveled next time!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Moving and swinging in spider form is so smooth, the movement is vastly improved in this game.
I find it’s great when you pick up speed, but running around in circles around a single flower is hilariously frustrating. I’ll be spinning around and around just because I didn’t grab that single flower on the ground.

KàIRóS

Amazon is taking forever to deliver my copy, it seems I won't get it until Tuesday, good thing I have Star Ocean 6 while I wait, otherwise I would have probably gone and buy it at a store, I've been wating forever for this game, glad to see most of you are liking it.

Astral Dog

Well, i suppose i will writte my final impressions 😋

This is a wonderful game, you can tell the hard work that went into making Bayonetta 3 the most complete, feature rich game in the series, you can tell the love they have for these characters, in every cutscene, every animation,composition, on the combat system, and its a big love letter to any action game fan, Bayonetta fan and of videogames in general.

The setbacks, are pretty obvious,the game appears to be better optimized for handheld play than Docked, wich is why i spend most of the time playing on the Switch itself, its still polished in many ways,as you won't find bugs or janky animations on Bayonetta 3,but obviously any upgrade on these technical aspects, IQ and framerate specially would be welcome (i would buy it again! 👍) its something that may take some time to manifest, but its alright and for now i will just keep playing on Switch

Then, because the game is filled with content, there are a few parts that no doubt stick the landing more than others, specifically
the infamous minigames and big demon sections, these no doubt will be the bane of many gamers, you can tell Platinum Games threw every idea they had cooking in the kitchen, they had the money to make the Bayonetta of their dreams here, even including Kamiya's most wanted Jeanne's spinoff! It was all to their hearts content, do i enjoy playing these parts? Not always, but they are short and im still glad they got in, some of them were charming even if they didn't served the core game

And the storyline... i loved it! they had alot of fun with the multiverse thing, some twists had me rolling, and this was something already hinted in Bayonetta 1 and 2

Its difficult to rate this game with a number , guess it would be a 9 for me, because of the above, there are improvments to be made and stuff, but very happy overall with how the game turned out 👍

Last edited:

Fbh

A

Edit. Fuck don't know what happened must have left the phone unlocked in my pocket.
Anyway enjoying the game so far. They definitely went for scale this time which is fun and I enjoy the new summoning mechanic, I just reached the first area where Viola is playable and she is great. It's always risky when they introduce new playable characters in these games (I personally didn't like V in DMC5) but Viola is fun to play as while still feeling pretty different from Bayonetta. The level design is also a bit better than in previous games as it feels like there's more to explore, I actually haven't found the bird + frog + cat in any level and I have missed a few encounters too even tough I am taking the time to explore. I just wish exploration would reward you with more than collectables.

The visuals are horrible though, and I'm not into the art direction of this one either (don't really like any of the character designs), although the first city area is clearly the worse, the place I'm at now looks nicer. I've decided to finish it in Handheld mode exclusively because on the big screen it's so muddy and blury that it's actively distracting, on the small screen it looks much sharper.
Also it still retains one of the few issues I've always had with this franchise in that I wish it has more uninterrupted gameplay sequences, ever since Bayo 1 I wish there were more parts where I just get to explore and fight for a while without triggering a cutscene or some special event every 3 minutes.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Well, i suppose i will writte my final impressions 😋

This is a wonderful game, you can tell the hard work that went into making Bayonetta 3 the most complete, feature rich game in the series, you can tell the love they have for these characters, in every cutscene, every animation,composition, on the combat system, and its a big love letter to any action game fan, Bayonetta fan and of videogames in general.

The setbacks, are pretty obvious,the game appears to be better optimized for handheld play than Docked, wich is why i spend most of the time playing on the Switch itself, its still polished in many ways,as you won't find bugs or janky animations on Bayonetta 3,but obviously any upgrade on these technical aspects, IQ and framerate specially would be welcome (i would buy it again! 👍) its something that may take some time to manifest, but its alright and for now i will just keep playing on Switch

Then, because the game is filled with content, there are a few parts that no doubt stick the landing more than others, specifically
the infamous minigames and big demon sections, these no doubt will be the bane of many gamers, you can tell Platinum Games threw every idea they had cooking in the kitchen, they had the money to make the Bayonetta of their dreams here, even including Kamiya's most wanted Jeanne's spinoff! It was all to their hearts content, do i enjoy playing these parts? Not always, but they are short and im still glad they got in, some of them were charming even if they didn't served the core game

And the storyline... i loved it! they had alot of fun with the multiverse thing, some twists had me rolling, and this was something already hinted in Bayonetta 1 and 2

Its difficult to rate this game with a number , guess it would be a 9 for me, because of the above, there are improvments to be made and stuff, but very happy overall with how the game turned out 👍
Thanks for the impressions.
How's the replayability? Are there many things to unlock and do after finishing? Or if one wanted to squeeze more time into the initial playthrough are there avenues to do this?

Astral Dog

Thanks for the impressions.
How's the replayability? Are there many things to unlock and do after finishing? Or if one wanted to squeeze more time into the initial playthrough are there avenues to do this?
friend these games are designed to be replayed over and over, though some people play it once for the story, and others many times.

Its basically similar to Devil May Cry, if you want to get the highest scores it will take awhile, mastering all the weapons is just overwhelming, there are 2 or 3 i didn't touched on my first playthrough,plus one you get after beating the final boss, there's also alot of collectibles hidden on the map, higher difficulty modes, secret boss fight and the traditional bloody palace.

For a game of this type its quite meaty

can you play the original bayonetta with her original play mechanics from bayonetta 1 in bayonetta 3? Basically is the prologue bayonetta playable (possible unlockable)? I am not talking about costume change

Last edited:

Keihart

can you play the original bayonetta with her original play mechanics from bayonetta 1 in bayonetta 3? Basically is the prologue bayonetta playable (possible unlockable)? I am not talking about costume change
you can unlock love is blue fairly early on the game, haven't finished it to know if the OG guns are there too and how they would differ.
Colour my world is way cooler tho

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Okay, just finished Chapter 7 and I gotta be honest, so far it's a mixed bag for me.

At moments its as great as Bayo 1 and 2 were, but then there's like all these others moments that are all over the place. The game introduces way too many new mechanics way too fast, I've never struggled with the camera in a Bayo game before but all the new mechanics here just mess the poor thing up. At times the game feels the need to be a platformer but it doesn't have the controls or camera to be so. I don't like Viola so far and her music doesn't really fit Bayo.

Once I get used to all the new controls and mechanics I'm sure I'll start liking it more but right now it's probably a 6 or 7 outta 10 for me.

Labolas

Yes, you get Scarborough Fair (bayo1's gun moveset), you can get it in Rodin's shop. I've been using it, the moveset is there for the most part.

Danjin44

Viola is very interesting character play as. At first I had get used to her because she has very different style than Bayonetta but once you are used to it she is really fun.

But I have to say her personality doesn’t match how she dress.

Hoppa

Just started playing and I have no idea what is happening on the screen. A few times I’m in the middle of a fight (which is already quite hard to see) and the camera just zooms even further out until I’m invisible on the screen.. I like the combat though it’s extremely campy. Never played a Bayo game before and this one wasn’t even on my radar until Helena told me not to buy it lol

Hot5pur

Alright so I ended up buying it and I like it quite a bit despite being skeptical at first.
Thanks to the encouragement of people in this thread.

My worries were about visuals/performance and the demon slave system. Yes there is some level of these aspects getting in the way of gameplay, but it's not significant, and the demon slave system actually adds a nice new dimension to the gameplay.
It does feel more chaotic and unfocused, but I think I like it. Otherwise it would have been a repeat of Bayo1 and 2, and at some point you just have to innovate. I definitely prefer it to 2, and it probably lands around 1 for me. With 2 I didn't feel desire to replay and unlock stuff, but this one has drawn me in quite a bit with all the set pieces and new systems.
Indeed I would recommend it for character action fans. I think I do notice a slight difference in the voice acting but the new voice actress does a decent enough job.

ssringo

PSvXViY.jpg

Saw this posted elsewhere but not here so...here! Was ridiculously good and it came at the right point because I was rather irritated with what happened right before (even if I knew it was coming).

As an aside, China Bayonetta is easily the coolest. Pure hype.

zokie

Game Works​

https://twitter.com/ReiKondoh

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Okay, so I finished the game and those final few levels were awesome. Loved the ending and some setpieces close to the end were fantastic. Some of the new skills are great, even though they couldve spent some more time actually explaining and making the player get used to them, but I mostly just stuck with the spider to get the hang of that one. Will get used to some more during the postgame collecthaton. Even though not all things clicked with me, looking at what new stuff Platinum implemented in this game, I really believe this was the game they wanted to make and I respect them for that.

As for the bad... there's Viola.
I fucking hate Viola. I hate her playstyle, I hate her whiny personality, I hate her looks, I hate the music that plays as you fight with her... I even hate the fact she breathes so heavily during simple running. Everything is just so out of place in the Bayo universe when playing as her. Worst is that you don't have witchtime, instead you have to suddenly figure out how parrying works. As someone who is not particularly good at action games, but has figured out what works for Bayonetta this completely threw me off each time I was forced to play with her. In the end I just stocked up on healing items and spam used those during her levels. Luckily they were only a few levels you had to play as her, but yeah, they're bad.

It's the same as having your party split up during an RPG and suddenly you have to fight with characters you haven't leveled or geared or anything. It's terrible

Other stuff that bothered me, were levels where it tried to be a platformer, most notably the sand levels, but there were a few others pieces as well. It's a minor complaint, but it's there nonetheless.

But anyways, the ending makes it a solid 7,5 out of 10 title for me, which is pretty darn good. Not as great as the first 2 games, but a solid ending to the trilogy.

I got spoiler questions:

1) where the fuck are the lumen sages and the right eye? How were they not affected by their worlds literally being destroying by the singularity? Why didnt the umbra witches and lumen sages combine their powers to destroy the singularity?
2) How the fuck are the events of bayonetta 2 from another multiverse? I thought she just got a new haircut/hairstyle? It even shows father balder reviving himself after the destruction of jubielius?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Finished it, great ride.
Two things I didn't like, the desert's stupid "thread sand shit", and the puzzle piece chests, platforming in an action game can suck a big one.
Other than that it was fantastic, though I do think it's by far the easiest entry, played the entire game with gaze of despair equipped (only way to play imo) and I never had to use an item; if I got low health just popped pulley's butterfly and rationed my magic
The final battle where bayo 1 shows up was amazing though and shows how great the fundamentals of the first game are, also like that tomorrow is mine played for a bit since that is my fav of the three battle songs.

Actually like viola quite a bit, the katana's got some cool combos and barehanded while cheshire fucks shit up is cool; also like that she doesn't really act like she "looks".

Feel like I missed out on a ton of weapons though, I think I only unlocked the story stuff and nothing else, really did kinda miss having the more wacky shit from bayo 2 like the chain chomp; hope there's some good/goofy shit to unlock.
Favourite demon is probably the clock tower.

Labolas

Also the timing to get Pure Platinum way stricter. I guess this is like 2 was. More of a DPS race.
pbi7mO1.jpg

I got spoiler questions:

1) where the fuck are the lumen sages and the right eye? How were they not affected by their worlds literally being destroying by the singularity? Why didnt the umbra witches and lumen sages combine their powers to destroy the singularity?
2) How the fuck are the events of bayonetta 2 from another multiverse? I thought she just got a new haircut/hairstyle? It even shows father balder reviving himself after the destruction of jubielius?
1.) We only ever see Balder as the last Lumen Sage. They make no mention of other ones. So we really don't how the Lumen Sages work and how Balder ended up being the last one. Plus, we're going thru time places where Bayo is alive and is an Umbra Witch and the other witches and sages are already dead by that time. If anything it would just be Balder and that wouldn't be enough to destroy Singularity.

2 It's probably the same as how they did Bayo 1. Actually Balder dies at the end of 1/the beginning of 2, he forces Aesir to die with him.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I’m chapter 7 in the part they discovered that wolf guy is actually Luka but that’s not the surprising part, the surprising part was seeing Bayonetta being kind of angry, telling Voila if Luka doesn't “bounce back” she should tear entire multiverse to bring him back.
The train saw is a really fun weapon, and i didn't expect another heavy weapon after the hammer.
yeah that’s very fun weapon, it’s kind of similar to motorcycle weapon in DMC5.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I feel a sense of gratitude when playing this. It might be the last we ever see of Bayonetta, it's a game that manifested from a set of events that usually don't happen, and I feel lucky to get to play it.

The amount of work they put into every scene when it comes to cinematography, effects, and complete insanity is unrivaled. No wonder it took Platinum this long to finish it. It's a tour-de-force of spectacular over-the-top scenes and settings.

And I usually don't laugh in games, but when that big demon panda thing (Cheshire I think?) walks around in Rodin's bar, and Rodin turns around to Violet and asks what that thing is, and in the next scene, Violet and Bayonetta are sitting on top of it while it is riding an old bicycle in the air, I chuckled. There is plenty of Japanese absurdity in here.

Very good game so far.

Labolas

Lol, this game needs to calm the hell down. It keeps crazier and crazier with the weapons. I don't know if I said it in here already but this makes the previous Bayos and DMCs look tame in comparison.

Ulysses 31

Lol, this game needs to calm the hell down. It keeps crazier and crazier with the weapons. I don't know if I said it in here already but this makes the previous Bayos and DMCs look tame in comparison.
You're not expected to master all the weapons and demon summons in 1 playthrough. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Keihart

Some stuff people may have missed. Although it doesn't go into comboing with demons & mc...

i think he missed 2 things that the game explains but i feel some people are going to miss.
The fact that every summon have some attacks assigned as shortcuts when summoning, for example, Gamorrah whe summoned with kick (summon+kick at the same time) will spawn executing the move that is usually back forward kick.
Every summon has one with each of the quick buttons and then you can buffer their next attack as soon as you do the shorcut one, for example with Gamorrah you can do summon+ kick at the same time and then, backwards forward with kick, this will give you 2 instant launchers buffered, you can just input this fast and be on the air chasing the enemy before it gets hits again,.

I'm not sure about the train tho, i think it doesn't have quick attacks, have to test it more.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Chapter 4. Wow, what a wild ride, I’m having an absolute blast. The most fun I’ve had playing a game in a while, and looking to be my favorite in the series. So far can’t understand the criticism of the story. It’s stupid and campy as fuck, which is everything the series has always been and all I wanted.

Danjin44

i think he missed 2 things that the game explains but i feel some people are going to miss.
The fact that every summon have some attacks assigned as shortcuts when summoning, for example, Gamorrah whe summoned with kick (summon+kick at the same time) will spawn executing the move that is usually back forward kick.
Every summon has one with each of the quick buttons and then you can buffer their next attack as soon as you do the shorcut one, for example with Gamorrah you can do summon+ kick at the same time and then, backwards forward with kick, this will give you 2 instant launchers buffered, you can just input this fast and be on the air chasing the enemy before it gets hits again,.

I'm not sure about the train tho, i think it doesn't have quick attacks, have to test it more.
I'm really loving how they incorporated the summon as part of your move-set which you use for combo, they essentially put Astral Chain's Legion system to Bayonetta's combat.

Keihart

I'm really loving how they incorporated the summon as part of your move-set which you use for combo, they essentially put Astral Chain's Legion system to Bayonetta's combat.
i think i prefer this system to astral chain's, it always felt cumbersome in Astral chain and never felt in as much control of them, Bayo 3 feels more like controlling Eddie or Carl's marionette.
I always wondered, why, if a game had summons, couldn't they just implement a similar system to marionette characters, i had similar complaints with V, looks like finally a dev did it.

Danjin44

i think i prefer this system to astral chain's, it always felt cumbersome in Astral chain and never felt in as much control of them, Bayo 3 feels more like controlling Eddie or Carl's marionette.
I always wondered, why, if a game had summons, couldn't they just implement a similar system to marionette characters, i had similar complaints with V, looks like finally a dev did it.
In Astral Chain character movement and combo system very different than Bayonetta series but if you get used to you can pull off some sick combos.

But Bayonetta overall has much smoother controls and combat which feels you have much better control over your summon.

Last edited:

Jsisto

I'm glad this game has finally answered the question fans have been speculating about for years. I of course am talking about the question of “what if bayonetta turned into a train?”

Top Bottom