• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 |OT| Bayonettas for every occasion.

ungalo

Metacritic dropped at 87. I'm a little disgusted by the reception of this game. When i consider it in contrast with Ragnarok, i feel people are actively pushing this kind of games out of the picture. It's way better than Bayonetta 2 but since media have such a superficial approach of games they can't even tell the difference, outside of the scenario or whatever meaningless stuff they talk about.

Fake

Metacritic dropped at 87. I'm a little disgusted by the reception of this game. When i consider it in contrast with Ragnarok, i feel people are actively pushing this kind of games out of the picture. It's way better than Bayonetta 2 but since media have such a superficial approach of games they can't even tell the difference, outside of the scenario or whatever meaningless stuff they talk about.

Lets be honest. The NS perfomance probably contributed with the score. God of War Ragnarok maybe not being a next gen, but runs flawless on PS5.

I would want a Bayonetta 3 running at higher resolution and locked fps anyday. Thats nothing to do with the devs, they extract everything they could in this hardware.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Metacritic dropped at 87.
gasp-shocked.gif

I guess the game is trash now. /s

Neff

Metacritic dropped at 87. I'm a little disgusted by the reception of this game. When i consider it in contrast with Ragnarok, i feel people are actively pushing this kind of games out of the picture.

You've got to factor the audience and broadness of appeal, or lack of it, into a review score, it's just a responsible thing to do. As much as we might love character action games, the majority of folks just aren't going to appreciate it in the same way. Honestly when has a linear brawler ever been able to compete with the Breath of the Wilds and The Last of Us Part IIs of the world critically speaking?

There's no way in hell Ragnarok is going to top Bayo 3 for me (I am looking forward to it though), but Sony's game in this case is absolutely a mass appeal product in comparison, in addition to its merits in its own right. Its review score reflects that and it's always been this way.

Danjin44

You've got to factor the audience and broadness of appeal, or lack of it, into a review score, it's just a responsible thing to do. As much as we might love character action games, the majority of folks just aren't going to appreciate it in the same way. Honestly when has a linear brawler ever been able to compete with the Breath of the Wilds and The Last of Us Part IIs of the world critically speaking?

There's no way in hell Ragnarok is going to top Bayo 3 for me (I am looking forward to it though), but Sony's game in this case is absolutely a mass appeal product in comparison, in addition to its merits in its own right. Its review score reflects that and it's always been this way.
Character action games similar to mecha games on west, unfortunately it never going to be that popular no matter how good they are.

Jsisto

Open world doesn’t really fit what was described in the article. They mention it originally was supposed to have a hub world from which you’d travel to the different areas, much like old school platformers like Mario 64. If done right I feel like that could have been pretty cool. The island of Thule could have easily been turned into a hub, you’re already there in a bunch of the chapters.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is why I said Chris Carter at Destructoid giving this game such a high score was noteworthy. He's a real action gamer with good taste.

Jsisto

I have to wonder, does anyone actually like Viola as a character? Her entire personality seems to be “my name is fucking Viola, respect me please!”. She seems like a response to the critics that thought Bayonetta was oversexualized, and the result was this androgynous character that doesn't have any of the charm of Bayonetta, nor any likable qualities of her own.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have to wonder, does anyone actually like Viola as a character? Her entire personality seems to be “my name is fucking Viola, respect me please!”. She seems like a response to the critics that thought Bayonetta was oversexualized, and the result was this androgynous character that doesn't have any of the charm of Bayonetta, nor any likable qualities of her own.
I think she's awesome, playstyle and personality. Almost immediately clicked for me and was getting platinum medals. And I think she's funny. The Destructoid review mentioned Trigun-esque anime humor, and I agree. She's charming and fun to play as.

Danjin44

I have to wonder, does anyone actually like Viola as a character?
I actually really warmed up to Viola, I thought based on her design she would be this moody teenager but actually she clumsy and she trying very hard to to look tough and cool which I think she got that from Luka.

I also like her gameplay style, it has very different feel compare to Bayonetta because with her you need block in order to active witch time. At first it was little weird to getting used to but spending more time in training area with her it clicked with me.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Interesting to hear your positive takes. Glad some people atleast got some enjoyment out of her sections. Just didn't click for me. I've always liked the character of Bayonetta and being able to switch up weapons and combat styles. Character aside, Violas combat just felt so stale by comparison.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Interesting to hear your positive takes. Glad some people atleast got some enjoyment out of her sections. Just didn't click for me. I've always liked the character of Bayonetta and being able to switch up weapons and combat styles. Character aside, her combat just felt so stale by comparison.
She never was going to play as good as Bayonetta and she not suppose to, not only Bayonetta has better move set than Viola but the sheer amount weapons she has. But Viola brought nice change of pace and in the end majority of the game you still play as Bayonetta and those extra Umbran Tears chapters you can choose which character you play as.

But I still VASTLY prefer Viola compare to V in DMC5.

Fbh

Can't believe I missed the whip on my first playthrough lol.
I thought it was weird that I had it in some of challenges but never got it in the main story

While I disagree that this is the worst one and I personally liked it WAY more than DMCV.
I do think most of his criticisms are on point.

Jsisto

Any of you get a chance to mess around with the late game accessory that gives you full control of Bayonetta during demon slave? The tradeoff seems to be that the AI controlled demons are a lot less aggressive than if you were controlling them. Not sure if I feel it's better or worse but it's an interesting change in the whole gameplay dynamic for sure.

Fbh

I went out of my to get all the blood tears so I managed to get whip and Alraune as demon on my first playthrough.

I got the tears in other chapters, but since the bonus stages were usually a combat challenge (or those puzzle piece time trials) I decided to just focus on the story and then collect them all on my second playthrough.
Didn't expect one of the bonus stages to give you a whole new weapon and demon.

Can't complain though, that's the sort of optional content I love

Danjin44

Any of you get a chance to mess around with the late game accessory that gives you full control of Bayonetta during demon slave? The tradeoff seems to be that the AI controlled demons are a lot less aggressive than if you were controlling them. Not sure if I feel it's better or worse but it's an interesting change in the whole gameplay dynamic for sure.
It basically function same as Cheshire for Viola, but I personally actually like I have full control over then Demons and they have some interesting move set if you unlock them.

the accessory I really like perry and the one you can summon little demon which helps you build up combo, both where also pervious games.

Last edited:

Neff

I have to wonder, does anyone actually like Viola as a character?

I dig her. And her personality makes a lot more sense and makes her a lot more endearing when you've finished it.

As for her playstyle, it's definitely simplistic compared to Bayonetta's (which is apt because she's younger and less experienced), but I really feel like she needed a mechanic or two to herself which feels completely novel like they did with Nero in DMC4. Nero had significantly less depth than Dante but it didn't matter because Buster and EX-Act were so damn fun, I never got tired of it. Viola's parry and fist fighting are neat but you still miss Bayonetta, in fact if anything Bayonetta is the one who feels the freshest in this game.

Obviously they're gonna go nuts with mechanics in 4 and I can't wait to see them.

Jsisto

I dig her. And her personality makes a lot more sense and makes her a lot more endearing when you've finished it.

As for her playstyle, it's definitely simplistic compared to Bayonetta's (which is apt because she's younger and less experienced), but I really feel like she needed a mechanic or two to herself which feels completely novel like they did with Nero in DMC4. Nero had significantly less depth than Dante but it didn't matter because Buster and EX-Act were so damn fun, I never got tired of it. Viola's parry and fist fighting are neat but you still miss Bayonetta, in fact if anything Bayonetta is the one who feels the freshest in this game.

Obviously they're gonna go nuts with mechanics in 4 and I can't wait to see them.
Would have been nice if Viola got one or two other weapons/demons with unique combat styles. You can still have Cheshire be the primary one that’s the default in cutscenes, much like Madama Butterfly and her associated weapon normally are for Bayo.

Danjin44

Would have been nice if Viola got one or two other weapons/demons with unique combat styles. You can still have Cheshire be the primary one that’s the default in cutscenes, much like Madama Butterfly and her associated weapon normally are for Bayo.
The amount of weapons we get and how each are so different and well developed I think it’s safe to assume most of the effort went to Bayonetta.

Labolas

I find her endearing. She isn't a tryhard that tries to show up Bayonetta. She's a goofy and clumsy character that has warmed me up to her.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
completely unusable with the clock; it's probably better with some demons than others, the train seems like it would benefit the most.

I was never a big fan of Bayonetta but I love Devil May Cry and games like that so I still need to give the rest of the series a try.

I played the first game and got to the final boss and could never beat him (her/it/etc) .... Jubleius or whatever its name was.

The second game looked a lot better though, especially the environments and the third one looks like it's really high on crack. That's not a bad thing here.

What's weird was I bought Dante's Inferno the same night I waited in line at GameStop to buy Bayonetta and I actually enjoyed Dante's Inferno more. I even thought to myself that was weird.

I think it's the combat. I like swords in the lake and Bayonetta seems to rely more on kicking. I know that's a weird angle but whatever.

It's definitely not a bad gamer series. In fact it's pretty wild and crazy and I kind of like that and very distinctly Japanese.

What I loved about Bayonetta the most was the portrayal of angels. How weird they look but how accurate they are to the biblical descriptions of angels. No dudes with feathery wings and halos here. These were the more nightmarish visions of angels that the Bible talked about. Someone did their homework and got it right.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And done. For a game I had no intention of getting until I saw the DF review, I gotta say I enjoyed it very much. The combat is sublime, and thats coming from someone who hated Bayonetta 1 for an hour or so that I played it. Didnt care for the Bayonetta 2 demo either, but now im on board. An astounding amount of weapons, summons and moves just make it unlike any other game ive played. I dont know if 2 is anything like this, but im definitely giving it a shot. I ended up sticking with the hammer because I liked how cool its attacks looked, and because the other ones were too close combat, and the camera made it really hard to keep track of Bayonetta in large boss fights.

And thats pretty much my only problem with the gameplay. The game focuses too much on setpieces, mini bosses and boss fights. It's a fun ride for sure, but it doesnt quite give combat the time to shine. literally, there are so few fights where you can really just take your time and just enjoy the fight. i even tried replaying some levels and it was pretty much the same.

The finale and i say finale instead of the final boss fight, was absolutely wonderful. This is how you do a finale. Other devs take note. Especially western devs who end their games in a literal knife fight. It went on for a bit too long, and probably had one too many fights, but that's the kinda game this is. Platinum really didnt hold anything back.

Jsisto

I feel like there’s more wrinkles to the story that people will figure out over time involving time paradoxes and whatnot. This is not a series known for its deep storylines, but I think the developers are more deliberate with certain plot points than some give them credit for.

Whats with Singularity being dark/purple in the intro and the typical blue/green color of the homonculi at all points after that? He looked very similar to the dark Bayonetta that Viola fights at the end, and assumedly she was the one controlling the Kraken in the intro, too? But that doesn’t make sense because she wasn’t dead yet? Is this just a matter of reality being distorted as more and more of the separate universes were destroyed/combined? Makes me wonder if Bayonetta herself is somehow related to the Singularity, which honestly was my original theory before Sigurd was introduced. But then you have the other Sigurd who was fighting the singularity. It all makes my head hurt, but it’s interesting to think about.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I played the first game and got to the final boss and could never beat him (her/it/etc) .... Jubleius or whatever its name was.
Odd, she (Dea Jubileus the creator) is more of a 'alright you got this far, now just finish up' kinda boss; the hardest part is probably the vortexes she tries to pull you into, but you can just run away from them with panther within and jump.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Haven't been able to play as much during the week. Hopefully will finish this weekend. Game just keeps getting better. Just saw:

Queen Butterfly.

GOTY man lol. That was amazing.

Hayabusa83

Banned

Do you like it? If so who cares what a bunch of pretentious reviewers think.

Chukhopops

To be fair the idea that « graphics + budget = good » isn’t limited to game journalists, it is sadly quite common those days. I’m just glad that the game exists and seems it will at least break even on the costs.

Also the more I play the more I’m convinced P* recycled a ton of Scalebound stuff into Bayo 3, even the HUD looks similar to the 2016/2017 previews.

Great game, and great ending. In times where developers are just rushing to the end of the game to show the final cinematic Bayonetta 3 delivers much-much more. It's emotional, it feels finished and completed.
The fight is very solid, but If I'm honest I find myself hysterically to button mash. 70% of the time and it was fun, really. It's very different experience compare to other action-adventure games, very consistent and colorful.
I hope more people to play and enjoy it.

Reactions: Isa

Ulysses 31

Haven't been able to play as much during the week. Hopefully will finish this weekend. Game just keeps getting better. Just saw:

Queen Butterfly.

GOTY man lol. That was amazing.
Wonder what you'll think of Baal Zebul. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So what did you think of Baal Zebul(The rhythm game boss fight)? :messenger_winking_tongue:
Loved it! Yeah I was just laughing the whole time. Boss fights were completely nuts. Could not believe how many weapons you get and how ridiculous they are.

And honestly there's enough here for like 3 more playthroughs. Lots that I missed. I will be coming back to this again for sure.

I was just cheesy grinning the whole time they had the
triple Bayonetta silhouettes in different colors fighting together. Looked super stylized and cool.

Top Bottom