• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
I still have two accessories on The Gates of Hell and one of Rodin's specials (under the costume-bullets I think) unavailable... I can't get much past chapter 2 in Angel Slayer and don't even know what the Climax Bracelet or the secret boss is lol, didn't want to spoil those things for me so I only read a little of this thread from time to time.

Today I've been trying to get all the birdies but goddamn @ that alfheim (hard) where you have to do 7 torture attacks... gave up on the 5th try, I'll try again another day.

And I still have to do everything once again to get Jeanne the Cutie J custome (I got all her customes once but I overwrote the save :() and Pillow Talk!

MjFrancis said:
And thanks for letting me know that I won't be able to use my Mega Yellow Moon Lollipops on Infinite Climax, mjemirzian. I have enough of those to simply float through the rest of Hard mode now! I might not want to use them so liberally, though. It'll just make me soft for the final difficulty level.
One of the great things about this game is it has a high skill cap that is very rewarding. So you get out of it what you put in.

And I still suggest my guide for anyone interested in NSIC.

Scum

I failed twice trying to destroy the damn Jubelius statue hurtling towards the Earth but I finally kicked her arse in Non Stop Climax Mode! \o/\o/

skyfinch

Bought this on Games on Demand. Awesome game. Got through it on normal mode just fine, now hard mode is kicking my ass!

I honestly can't even make it to the end of the prologue section. The two claw guys on the plane wing are crazy. Any tips? Keep in mind, with Games on Demand, there is no manual so I don't know if it included combos.

Thanks.

Alx

For combos, all you need is the loading time screen where you can practice them (press "back" so that you won't exit the training when the loading is done).
I remember the claws gave me a hard time in the Prologue on hard, too... my advice would be to equip items that will help you get "magic points" (I think the one that allow you to counter the opponent's attacks will do that... and it's very useful and satisfying anyway), that you will need for torture attacks. Taunting is supposed to help too, but I never could use it efficiently.
From what I remember, the claw guys are quite vulnerable to aerial combos, so you can use attacks like the upward dashing heel (stiletto ?) to launch them into a combo, but I don't know if it's the right strategy at this point of the game.

Alx said:
For combos, all you need is the loading time screen where you can practice them (press "back" so that you won't exit the training when the loading is done).
I remember the claws gave me a hard time in the Prologue on hard, too... my advice would be to equip items that will help you get "magic points" (I think the one that allow you to counter the opponent's attacks will do that... and it's very useful and satisfying anyway), that you will need for torture attacks. Taunting is supposed to help too, but I never could use it efficiently.
From what I remember, the claw guys are quite vulnerable to aerial combos, so you can use attacks like the upward dashing heel (stiletto ?) to launch them into a combo, but I don't know if it's the right strategy at this point of the game.

I don't really recommend taunting as that will make them go mad on his ass :p Aerial combos are good yeah, I think the move you say is called Red Hot Kick, stiletto is forward+p (and I disabled it because I couldn't stop doing it involuntarily) and is the bastard son of Stinger from DMC.

You can also aerial those bastards if you equip kulshedra + bracelet of time, jump, activate Witch Time and grab them with the kulshedra while in WT. It's hard as hell for me though, so good luck :p

Also, as long as you're not playing on NSIC, try to abuse witch time as much as you can. After playing through NSIC, witch time feels almost like cheating! lol

MjFrancis

Gracious and Glorious are a complete pain. Just about the only enemy that I haven't figured out a way to defeat swiftly and consistently. I still haven't used the shotty spamming to stun them, though, so I shouldn't bitch too much.

I told myself that I would put this game down after beating it on Hard, and here I am, up to Chapter XIII on Non-Stop ∞ Climax Mode. On NSIC, Gracious and Glorious come in groups of three rather than two, so learning how to beat them in a better way should have been a higher priority of mine! So with the Evil Harvest Rosary equipped NSIC has been very manageable - Gracious and Glorious being the notable exceptions. I'm semi-frequently surviving instead of dominating, but earning Platinum medals on select NSIC Verses has been a rush! Not the cheap, two to six enemy Verses that are cakewalks on every difficulty once you know what you're doing, but beating down three Joys and earning a Plat or taking down a litany of angels and earning a Full Moon Platinum.
I cut through the Chapter XI boss like butter now, no need for Witch Time!
I get what Risk Breaker is saying about Witch Time now that I've been playing without it - it just feels like cheating, lol.

The difficulty curve in this game is absolutely beautiful.

Jintor

If I'm not spamming shotguns, it really becomes a matter of equipping bazillions and scarabough fair and just dodging as much as possible and chipping them to death. The bastards seriously avoid weaves like crazy, so your best bet is through weapon damage. Or rockets, if you can get them out fast enough since the Kilgores are super-slow.

/edit and with the rosary beads you get the extra stun time from explosions, too! Don't be afraid to dodge into panther because that shit is useful to get some breathing room.

Monocle

Jump canceling from panther or a teleport does good damage with Kilgore equipped on your feet. Just jump off an enemy and hold the button to shoot a pair of rockets. You can see the technique used to great effect against Gracious & Glorious in this video (also see the two consecutive fights near the end).

By the way, dodge offset is essential to use while fighting G&G unless you want the battle to take forever.

skyfinch

Monocle said:
Jump canceling from panther or a teleport does good damage with Kilgore equipped on your feet. Just jump off an enemy and hold the button to shoot a pair of rockets. You can see the technique used to great effect against Gracious & Glorious in this video (also see the two consecutive fights near the end).

By the way, dodge offset is essential to use while fighting G&G unless you want the battle to take forever.

Holy crap! What happens at 4:37 in the first video? Just looks like those sting rays collapsed and died in an instant.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I think my reflexes are too slow for these kinds of games. Can't even tell what is happening in most videos. Just a blur of fury.

skyfinch said:
Holy crap! What happens at 4:37 in the first video? Just looks like those sting rays collapsed and died in an instant.

When Harmony is enraged it falls to the floor.

The player had equipped the Gaze of Despair, an accessory that enrages all enemies at once the second they appear.

The player used this habit to hit them all with a single charged attack.

Giolon

Our beloved Kamiya on Twitter:

69i5co
69i4ir.jpg
69i65f

(yes they are real)

I almost died laughing. XD These should be icons.

I can hardly believe what I'm looking at. Those shots are hilarious!

I put Bayonetta on hold after the motorcycle mission I think, but I'm getting the urge to pick it back up. The combat system leaves so much room to be mastered, but it's also pretty flexible and easy for a novice (like myself) to enjoy. Cool game.

Salih

Kamiya sure knows how to suprise people. actually, those shots are mesmerizing - i can't look away!

faridmon said:
Just bought Bayonetta today. Gonna break my virginty tomorrow. Can't wait.

better late then never.

Curufinwe

thebaroness said:
I've almost platinumed it, I just need to find one or two more Alfielms, I thought I had gotten them all >_<

It's kind of silly how well hidden they are, since I think they're the best part of the game. I used the official guide to find them all.

MjFrancis

Just beat Non-Stop &#8734; Climax Mode and earned my 1000/1000. My NSIC Mode runtime came in at 2:54:11; my only run under three hours. My save data says I blew forty hours on the game, but since I leave it running on occasion, I don't know how long I really spent playing. I can say this about Bayonetta: a 1000/1000 gamerscore means you've mastered the basics. No more than that. I especially believe that after some of the videos that were linked to just a few posts up. There is so much more to this game, more collectibles, more unlockables, high score lists, speed runs... shit's unbelievable!

If only the last part of Non-Stop &#8734; Climax Mode wasn't included in the whole bit.
Planet dodging became significantly harder, and it played like a dumbed-down flight simulator with floaty and horrible controls. I proudly beat that beast of a boss without dying or using any items but had to use a buttload of continues to navigate the solar system. Stupid.
Consequently, I'll take my leave of Bayonetta and let this sour taste from an otherwise fine dish leave my mouth.

XLant

Neo Member
faridmon said:
Just bought Bayonetta today. Gonna break my virginity tomorrow. Can't wait.
Have fun; mine's on the way via stork. It's been much too long since I've flown to the moon.

Koralsky said:
I know that this is not strictly connected with Bayo, but one of the rumor from the link above is happen to be (almost) true:

So, on 23 July the rumors say: "Shining Blade is supposed to be the official title for the next Shining series game. Developed for PSP, announce coming in October, release date stated to be next year February or March. Shining Hearts characters on Valkyria Chronicles system."

And than on 16 August we have this news - "Next Shining Series Game Is Shining Blade?"

Well, TGS is just a month away so than we'll see if there's any more truth in Bayo 2 rumors...
Aeana (I think) mentioned something very close to those SE rumors too (DQX being MMO, FF4HOL2 for 3DS). Kinda weird...

Raonak

Banned
For some reason, this game just didn't click with me like DMC3 and 4 did.
Not sure why, since bayo is like a spritual successor (probably has more in common with DMC than the DmC reboot)

I platinumed it, but yeah.

Koralsky

Koralsky said:
Well, I know this is just rumors without any real source, but the guy who posted is Japanese and most of the stuff from his post sounds (almost) legit.

On topic:

"- Sega is developing Bayonetta 2 and also a CG movie for cinemas will be announced together;"

Whole post, full of TGS11 rumors, here.

Koralsky said:
I know that this is not strictly connected with Bayo, but one of the rumor from the link above is happen to be (almost) true:

So, on 23 July the rumors say: "Shining Blade is supposed to be the official title for the next Shining series game. Developed for PSP, announce coming in October, release date stated to be next year February or March. Shining Hearts characters on Valkyria Chronicles system."

And than on 16 August we have this news - "Next Shining Series Game Is Shining Blade?"

Well, TGS is just a month away so than we'll see if there's any more truth in Bayo 2 rumors...

LOL another one of the rumors happen to be true!

The original rumor says : "- Sega is developing a new Layton like game for the 3DS, announce coming in September, will be on TGS, but it's not a "mistery puzzle game"; it is a rythm action game;"

So, Bayonetta 2 surely on the way?

Duffyside

Banned
So, will I start earning way more halos later on? Pretty lame to keep going to the Gates of Hell and see some cool stuff to buy and be like "oh... that's a lot of halos."

Also, when do I get to start using swords and shotguns and shit like that? I'm only on Chapter 5, by the way.

Game is starting to click with me, not that I didn't like it to begin with. There's still things I'm not getting yet, but I'm certainly not giving up. This game has New Game +, right?

Jintor

Yep.

If you're in chapter 5, you should already have the shotgun I think, it's on the default path. You should only be able to equip one pair at a time on your hands or legs; enter the menu and equip it.

Unfortunately you won't be earning shittonnes of halos until you farm them by repeatedly fighting bosses (a particular boss) or just by playing a fucktonne of Bayonetta.

New Game Plus is really when the going gets good. Because Hard mode is fucking hard, and Infinite Climax after that is goddamn impossible-awesome. By that point you'll really be forced to learn how to play efficiently.

Giolon

duffyside said:
So, will I start earning way more halos later on? Pretty lame to keep going to the Gates of Hell and see some cool stuff to buy and be like "oh... that's a lot of halos."

Also, when do I get to start using swords and shotguns and shit like that? I'm only on Chapter 5, by the way.

Game is starting to click with me, not that I didn't like it to begin with. There's still things I'm not getting yet, but I'm certainly not giving up. This game has New Game +, right?

You should have gotten the LPs for the Shotgun (Onyx Roses) and Sword (Shuraba) in Chapters 2 and 3 respectively. You can redeem them at the Gates of Hell.

You may have to equip them in your inventory before you can use them. You have two weapon profiles A and B, use LT/L2 to swap between them.

Totally has New Game+.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
duffyside said:

Yep, it's built upon multiple replays, absolutely everything carries over into higher difficulties, just like DMC3. And you'll be able to pick chapters as well after you beat it. Without resorting to farming, you should have the shop completely cleared by the time you're halfway through Hard. Just like how DMD is the where the game really starts in DMC, Infinite Climax Mode is where Bayonetta really starts. The other 2 modes are practice.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
duffyside said:

Chapter 8(?) is a boss fight that can earn you at least 100,000 halos in one go. You'll need to make sure you get the Durga (which you will soon) and then when you fight the boss just mash punch repeatedly forever. Your combo will be massive (as long as you don't let it get interrupted many times) and you'll get a serious number of halos. Repeat as necessary.

Reveirg

Well, not being much of an action game player, I had passed on Bayonetta the first time around. However, I remember enjoying the first DMC and the recent El Shaddai, I figure I might be more of a Japanese games player than an exclusively JRPG gamer, especially with the recent drought in the genre...

That being said, with the rumors of a sequel and one week before the Sotc/ICO release, I decided to pick it up and give it a try. I'll post my first impressions shortly!

Does anyone have tips for a beginner?

Reveirg said:
Well, not being much of an action game player, I had passed on Bayonetta the first time around. However, I remember enjoying the first DMC and the recent El Shaddai, I figure I might be more of a Japanese games player than an exclusively JRPG gamer, especially with the recent drought in the genre...

That being said, with the rumors of a sequel and one week before the Sotc/ICO release, I decided to pick it up and give it a try. I'll post my first impressions shortly!

Does anyone have tips for a beginner?

- Dodging is the most important move in the game. Learn it, love it.
- Treat your first playthrough (on normal I guess) as a tutorial. Take it easy and enjoy the scenery. The fun starts on hard ! Don't be let down by stone awards ! Learning curve is long but steady.
- Long and fancy combos are not essential to master. Short combos (like Punch Kick Punch) are. My top three would be PKP, PPPKKK and PPKP. Easy to remember !
- Don't get overwhelmed by the number of weapons, combinations and techniques. It's totally insane.
- Witch time is extended by the number of hits you make. Hit back soon and with combos that end with fast strikes (like PPPPPP)
- Taunting refills your magic bar. Getting hit depletes it.
- You should purchase air dodge, Tetsuzanko (left-right punch) and maybe Umbra spear as soon as possible. Tetsuzanko is a life saver.
- Buy and equip the moon of maala-kahla (sp?) as soon as possible. Parrying is not that difficult, invaluable and infinitely satisfying.
- Shuraba and durga (fire) is probably the most efficient and noob friendly weapon combo.
- Durga (fire) let you hit ennemies on fire. Durgas (fire) on feet let you walk on lava. Durgas (electricity) means no damage from electric attack or environment. Odette (skates) let you run (well... skate) on ice with no damage.
- Try to practice dodge offset from the start, with easy combos (again Punch Kick Punch) both with dodging and with the panther (once you get it)
- Jumping on an ennemy resets the jump counter !
- You can cancel everything with a dodge.
- Weapon dropped by angels (usually after a torture attack) are very very powerful. Don't hesitate to use them, especially the ones set to a long press of the kick button.

Reveirg

Thanks for all the tips! I'll try to keep some of it in mind and come back to read them further in the game... so far after 2 hours of play, there's a lot to take in!

After a somewhat shaky start (the opening cutscene is a bit "out there" and there seems to be some framerate issues with the PS3 that needs a bit of getting used to...), I'm really enjoying the game! Having only played the original DMC at its release, I feel like I'm taken back 10 years ago!!

There seems to be a lot of depth for an action game, lots of things to collect and a deep mythology to explore.

I look forward to the rest of the game. How long is it supposed to be? (how many chapters?)

Emitan

Reveirg said:
Thanks for all the tips! I'll try to keep some of it in mind and come back to read them further in the game... so far after 2 hours of play, there's a lot to take in!

After a somewhat shaky start (the opening cutscene is a bit "out there" and there seems to be some framerate issues with the PS3 that needs a bit of getting used to...), I'm really enjoying the game! Having only played the original DMC at its release, I feel like I'm taken back 10 years ago!!

There seems to be a lot of depth for an action game, lots of things to collect and a deep mythology to explore.

I look forward to the rest of the game. How long is it supposed to be? (how many chapters?)
It took me about 9-10 hours my first time.

Duffyside

Banned
Thanks for all the responses, gents. Love how the Platinum (Vanquish and Bayonetta) community is so eager to help players. I had played the demo when it was first released about a dozen times on each platform, and then bought the 360 version a couple of months later as I couldn't convince myself the PS3 version (my preferred platform) would be adequate compared to the beautiful 360 version.

Anyway, I slapped the game in as soon as it came in, liked it, but as I don't use my 360 much I somehow stopped playing it. Also I'm finding it takes more than just two or three Chapters for the game to click. I think putting it down in the first place was the reason for my confusion in equipping weapons and stuff; when I picked the game back up, I thought you did all that jazz in the Gates of Hell.

But yep, this game is amazing. I would've been more than satisfied if it had no new weapons to buy, no transformations, just the barebones stuff I was using for the first four Chapters. It's insane how much content Platinum packed into this game. Is it possible that in the same calendar year one studio created mechanically both the best shooter and the best action game ever?

Edit: Oh, those dudes with the claws are fucking me up bad. They move fast and have one attack that puts you at a dead stop in the air as they rip away like over half your health, and it doesn't seem to me I can dodge out of it. Any tips for those bastards? Not that I'm stuck on them, it's just I got to a place a littler earlier where there were two sets of them on a staircase immediately after each other and I barely scraped by. First time I had to use an item all game.

Jintor

Grace and Glory are utter bastards, it's true. Wait until you meet their older cousins :p

Tip-wise, shotguns stun them constantly, the fire one's tornado attack is easy to activate witch-time off of, and don't hesitate to dodge into panther to get some breathing room. In regards to the air-stun, you need to either bat-within with precise timing (dodge the second they hit you so you turn into a cloud of bats) or to get yourself some counter glaves and spam towards them, though you probably don't have/can't afford those just yet.

I also hope that you're looking out for witch tombs. Hearts are useful.

Duffyside

Banned
Jintor said:
Grace and Glory are utter bastards, it's true. Wait until you meet their older cousins :p

Tip-wise, shotguns stun them constantly, the fire one's tornado attack is easy to activate witch-time off of, and don't hesitate to dodge into panther to get some breathing room. In regards to the air-stun, you need to either bat-within with precise timing (dodge the second they hit you so you turn into a cloud of bats) or to get yourself some counter glaves and spam towards them, though you probably don't have/can't afford those just yet.

I also hope that you're looking out for witch tombs. Hearts are useful.
What's a witch tomb? The big chest thing that's chained up you have to break with a big attack?

And thanks for the tips. I guess I'll have to nab that bat upgrade. I wasn't sure I was going to get it as the timing is super-precise, but if that's the only option to avoid that air-rape, I'm in.

zkylon

zkylewd
duffyside said:
Edit: Oh, those dudes with the claws are fucking me up bad. They move fast and have one attack that puts you at a dead stop in the air as they rip away like over half your health, and it doesn't seem to me I can dodge out of it. Any tips for those bastards? Not that I'm stuck on them, it's just I got to a place a littler earlier where there were two sets of them on a staircase immediately after each other and I barely scraped by. First time I had to use an item all game.
I only beat the game on normal getting like 90% stone statues, but i found that using the claws they drop against them deals a lot of damage, so i would concentrate on one of them and just use the claws against the other. They might leave them with as little as a third of health, so they're really useful.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I want to play this so much but I have no 360 yet. It's really tempting to dump some funds in 360 instead of vacation but I must be wiser.

Top Bottom