• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think Kamiya takes bayonetta's story alot more seriously than most fans would like to believe.

It's not camp it's just dumb and poorly told.

I'm not sure what Kamiya thinks about the story. Some of the blog posts on PG's site suggest that he put a lot into this story and that he did want it to be taken seriously, but someone told him on his Twitter that they wanted him to do a non-serious game for once and he responded "Bayonetta was serious?"

Alx

I think both are valid. The game obviously doesn't take itself seriously, but I always thought that at least one part of the plot was a rather interesting idea,
the fact that young Bayonetta had to watch herself fight as an adult to grow in confidence and power...
I suppose that there was also a lot of work put into the journals you collect and different mythology references, but I didn't read most of it.

Jintor

I think he knew at the core of it that it was totally ridiculous, but that didn't mean he didn't have to put any effort into it

Riposte

I'm not sure what Kamiya thinks about the story. Some of the blog posts on PG's site suggest that he put a lot into this story and that he did want it to be taken seriously, but someone told him on his Twitter that they wanted him to do a non-serious game for once and he responded "Bayonetta was serious?"

It can be both. If you want to make something awesome crazy it should be as logical and full of detail as possible. Gives it authenticity. Wouldn't expect anything less from a superhero comicbook and it applies here.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what Kamiya thinks about the story. Some of the blog posts on PG's site suggest that he put a lot into this story and that he did want it to be taken seriously

Same with the Kamiya commentaries. He explains the story in one of them as well as random explanations that he himself has personally for some of the inconsistencies in the game.

He put alot of thought into bayonetta's character development, world building(I mean look at the amount of lore in the game you probably didn't read) and storyline during the course of the game.

It's just so poorly told that most people don't even get it.(I know I didn't) and even when you hear the explanation from his mouth of why Balder brought bayonetta to the future to meet herself or whatever, it's still stupid and uninteresting.

I mean you can say alot of things about god of war's story, but atleast it's entertaining enough for people to play it for story alone.

but someone told him on his Twitter that they wanted him to do a non-serious game for once and he responded "Bayonetta was serious?"

Bayonetta has alot of humor.

but there's still a really serious story in there that's just not very good.

Finally started playing this after picking it up for $5 last weekend. I got up to chapter 5 tonight playing on Normal and it's just destroying me. I like it don't get me wrong but I'm really starting to die a lot. I feel like I'm just getting too old for games that are this fast. Any tips before I lower the difficulty? I have 100k halos so what should I buy? The witch time one? Fighting the double mini bosses is just exhausting.

Finally started playing this after picking it up for $5 last weekend. I got up to chapter 5 tonight playing on Normal and it's just destroying me. I like it don't get me wrong but I'm really starting to die a lot. I feel like I'm just getting too old for games that are this fast. Any tips before I lower the difficulty? I have 100k halos so what should I buy? The witch time one? Fighting the double mini bosses is just exhausting.

The best accessory is Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. The witch time one only makes it more complicated to play. Mahaa-Kalaa allows you to stop any attack by simply pressing the stick on its direction. IIRC it's 200k halos though, but it's worth it.

Also, don't feel bad. I died a looooooot of times the first time I played it, and I've played most games in the genre with few problems (DMCs, GOW, NG, etc). Get used to hear "the shadow remains cast" :p I platinum'd every verse not that much later, don't worry. You'll get better weapons, accessories and techniques soon and you'll do much better. Not to mention your life bar will be huge.

It was TOUGH going back to 0 after playing a lot of time with a maxed-out Bayo when you start playing with other characters ;P

Alx

Don't forget to buy hearts to expand your life bar on your first playthrough.
Unlocking the sword and relying on the PKP combo can make your life easier too.

BadWolf

Learn how to dodge properly (dodge right before an attack hits and you'll activate witch time) and life will be much easier. They say to do it right before it hits but its fairly lenient.

The only accessories I bothered with are the one that let you parry (the timing is again very lenient) and the one that leaves a bomb behind instead of activating witch time after a dodge.

Anteater

If you haven't already, buy the bats within as soon as you have access to it, makes it a lot easier to dodge things since it allows you to trigger the dodge/witchtime by dodging the moment you get hit, makes the dodge window longer and more forgiving, game got much easier for me and got hit a lot less after buying that.

Try to learn dodge offset and holding down buttons after each hit as it will shoot enemies to stun them a bit, I think it would make it easier since I think mashing buttons make it incredibly hard to dodge when you're too focused on it.

Himself

We're so accustomed to video games taking themselves incredibly seriously and maybe this is what turns people off about Bayonetta's story. I love bayonetta's story. Or, more precisely, the presentation of the story. It's incredibly fun, self-aware, and consistently entertaining. I believe you can mix these elements and still have a "serious" story. There is a ridiculous amount of lore to read (which I haven't truthfully ever read all the way through. I keep telling myself, " next play through I'll read EVERYTHING") that leads me to believe Platinum did care about the world, characters and story in a deeper way than the campy presentation would lead one to believe. So I believe Platinum took the story seriously, but told in in a very silly and entertaining way.

I just convinced my friend to play Vanquish and he's loving it. He mentioned how much he loves the ridiculousness of the cut scenes and i told him he NEEDS to play Bayonetta next. Feels good introducing people to Platinum.

Did anyone watch the last PG Live thing? The dude was wearing Jeanne glasses the whole time. Possible hint or more trolling?

Giolon

I'm a big fan of both Bayonetta (I got one of the Penny Arcade Scarborough Fair T-shirts!) and art books (Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive and Shigenori Soejima Artworks are my favorite and also released by Udon in English), but I have to say this is a worse than average art book.

I imported the Japanese version of this artbook, and TBH, I didn't feel there was any content in here that was better than what was in the UK CE Strategy Guide. Now, admittedly, I cannot read Japanese beyond the most rudimentary level. There may be great written content there-in, but purely going by the art content, I was pretty disappointed. The biggest problem is that most of the images are so small - usually cramming 5 or 6 pieces of concept art into a page. The UK guide has many of those same pieces of concept art displayed only 2 to 3 per page.

No you'll surely get more artwork and the DVD out of this artbook, but I just caution you guys getting too excited over it since I was underwhelmed. I will personally probably buy it just so I can finally watch the contents of the DVD and understand it.

BadWolf

I'm a big fan of both Bayonetta (I got one of the Penny Arcade Scarborough Fair T-shirts!) and art books (Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive and Shigenori Soejima Artworks are my favorite and also released by Udon in English), but I have to say this is a worse than average art book.

I imported the Japanese version of this artbook, and TBH, I didn't feel there was any content in here that was better than what was in the UK CE Strategy Guide. Now, admittedly, I cannot read Japanese beyond the most rudimentary level. There may be great written content there-in, but purely going by the art content, I was pretty disappointed. The biggest problem is that most of the images are so small - usually cramming 5 or 6 pieces of concept art into a page. The UK guide has many of those same pieces of concept art displayed only 2 to 3 per page.

No you'll surely get more artwork and the DVD out of this artbook, but I just caution you guys getting too excited over it since I was underwhelmed. I will personally probably buy it just so I can finally watch the contents of the DVD and understand it.

Now I'm thinking of cancelling the preorder :/

Himself

Now I'm thinking of cancelling the preorder :/

Yeah, I was asking about the quality of the book in the gaming thread. Oh well...

Edit: just search the eyes of Bayonetta on YouTube and you can see some dude flipping through the whole thing for yourself. I've decided it's totally worth 30-

BadWolf

Yeah, I was asking about the quality of the book in the gaming thread. Oh well...

Edit: just search the eyes of Bayonetta on YouTube and you can see some dude flipping through the whole thing for yourself. I've decided it's totally worth 30-

Just checked out the video and it looks like I've already seen most of the good stuff either in the game gallery (the character stuff, which interests me most) or randomly online.

Won't cancel just yet but dunno if its worth it. Anyone know if the text within is interesting? The dvd?

Alright, I'm done. Fuck this game.

Does anyone anywhere ever actually judge the difficulty of games in a way that's...not wrong? Bayonetta was described to me by several people as "way more accessible" than any of the Devil May Cry games ever were. I have beaten DMC1 and 3 on the hardest difficulty while only having real trouble on a few encounters throughout the game, but generally finding the entire experience very doable if you pay attention. And here's Bayonetta beating me into the ground in every single encounter on normal mode.

After struggling for a while with the difficulty I replayed some levels and bought all the health upgrades that you can get from the store. Then still failed a bunch and had to use health items mid-mission.

Later, after finally starting to feel comfortable with the game and not dreading death from every single encounter, the game decides to put the next encounter on a timer, severely limit your health AND force you to only use a specific attack. Screw this.

But Bayonetta IS one of the most accessible character action games....ever. They even made sure that the enemies don't hit you from off screen.

Are you dodging properly? Using Witch Time? Using Dodge Offset? Did you buy the parry item? The butterfly thing that takes some damage for you? Using the powerful QTE-like moves? Trying other weapons (assuming you've obtained any) Looked up some videos on Youtube for pointers?

But Bayonetta IS one of the most accessible character action games....ever. They even made sure that the enemies don't hit you from off screen.

Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die mode was about 3 infinites easier to me than trying to complete this once on normal. Sure, most accessible ever. Totally. Also, for a game that made sure that the enemies don't hit me from off screen, I'm sure getting hit from off screen a lot.

Are you dodging properly? Using Witch Time?

As much as I can. Other than the basic angels and the noise, slomo and sparkle they have before attacking, it's often real hard to judge when exactly an attack is coming and when I should dodge. The enemies are way too jumpy.

Using Dodge Offset?

What is that? *Googles*

Yes, I knew that. Seems like something that is a requirement when going for all platinums or a higher difficulty but hey, that's never gonna happen.

Using the powerful QTE-like moves?

Torture attacks? Again, as much as I can. You need to hit a bunch without getting hit to do those and if I was great at that we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Trying other weapons (assuming you've obtained any)

Yup

Jintor

Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die mode was about 3 infinites easier to me than trying to complete this once on normal. Sure, most accessible ever. Totally. Also, for a game that made sure that the enemies don't hit me from off screen, I'm sure getting hit from off screen a lot.

Listen. All attacks have a distinctive sound before they trigger. Look. All attacks flash before they hit. If that's still not helping you... man, I don't know.

Normal is so goddamn slow, too...

There's only, like, four kinds of enemies and attacks that will even actually attack from off-screen, so I have no idea what's going on here.

Listen. All attacks have a distinctive sound before they trigger. Look. All attacks flash before they hit.

That's what I assumed, because that's how every single one of these games works and that's how I really didn't have much trouble with DMD mode. Every single enemy there has very clear tells for all of their attacks and its just a matter of learning those. And learning those is a process of looking at them like...twice and it's clear.

In Bayonetta so far enemies jump around the screen and my lifebar randomly depletes at some point during that process. Someone here attacked, I guess? My strategy through most of the battles is attacking until any enemy on the screen does any kind of a sound at all or animates in any way. Then I furiously smash the dodge button just in case. That has gotten me through the game so far with half an inch of life left after every fight.

Every once in a while I go "Okay, I'm clearly doing this wrong" and try to take it real slow and pay attention to what the enemies are doing and dodge properly. I stop that strategy when I notice how all my life is gone because trying to figure out the attack patterns of those guys is a fool's errand. Also I've done no damage to anything, because I've been too busy squinting at the screen watching a creature jump around me until at some point one of those jumps was somehow an attack.

So I have a stupid strategy that works well enough to at least maybe get me through the game once, and the game adds a timer, limits your health AND your attacks. It's actively mean. Also to clarify, the part where I left off was when it tells you to specifically use hair attacks in the next fight.

Chris R

Picked this up used on Saturday. Only on chapter 3 so far but I'm loving it. Perfect balance of story and gameplay so far. Only thing I'm not liking about it is that sometimes the QTE stuff isn't mapped to the same button as it is in game (for instance, expected to dodge something in the QTE so finger is ready over RT, only for it to be X leading to my death :|) At least the checkpointing is very good.

Any point in changing weapons or are they only cosmetic changes? From the menu in game it doesn't look like there was any power change when I equipped the first two weapons you get as my B set.

G17

This shit is bananas. And I love it. The gf bought it for $5 at Target..and I am almost through it.

After you finish the game definitely do the new game+ 2 times (on increasing difficulties) the weapons/abilities that open up to you are awesome! Then after that do all the Alfheim challenges. There are also some other secret unlockables that you might want to try unlocking even after doing all this!

The amount of replayability.. just fantastic.

hao chi

One of my friends was looking through the bargain bin at Gamestop the other day and decided to buy Bayonetta because apparently a couple years ago I told him it's pretty good. He finished the game today, and when I asked him what the thought of it his response was "Good story and character development."

Not really how I'd describe Bayonetta, but regardless he seemed to really enjoy it.

rvy

Banned
One of my friends was looking through the bargain bin at Gamestop the other day and decided to buy Bayonetta because apparently a couple years ago I told him it's pretty good. He finished the game today, and when I asked him what the thought of it his response was "Good story and character development."

Not really how I'd describe Bayonetta, but regardless he seemed to really enjoy it.

KuGsj.gif

Not only is your friend checking the wrong things, he also has awful taste.

lol, hopefully by "character developement" he means DAT ASS!!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Even its fans mock Bayonetta's storyline, but you cannot take your video games that seriously. It's camp and supposed to be what it is. For camp, it's executed very well. Saying it has a bad story is like saying Rocky Horror Picture Show has a bad story and bad acting. It's kinda the point.

And the secret bonus point is that it does have character development when you least expect it, towards the end. Bayonetta has a hint of depth to her - didn't we find out that a lot of the plot actually remained on the cutting room floor though? Stuff that sounded as if it was related to the development part towards the end.

hao chi

Even its fans mock Bayonetta's storyline, but you cannot take your video games that seriously. It's camp and supposed to be what it is. For camp, it's executed very well. Saying it has a bad story is like saying Rocky Horror Picture Show has a bad story and bad acting. It's kinda the point.

And the secret bonus point is that it does have character development when you least expect it, towards the end. Bayonetta has a hint of depth to her - didn't we find out that a lot of the plot actually remained on the cutting room floor though? Stuff that sounded as if it was related to the development part towards the end.

I'm 99% sure he wasn't praising the campiness, but the actual plot regarding the Two Eyes of the World and whatnot.

Though if he was just trying to praise the cutscenes for being entertaining, then I can certainly agree with that.

The story isn't amazing, but the universe is really cool. I even found myself reading the details in some of those books you get.

The biggest problem with the game is the items and some of the abilities you can buy are too overpowered. I really regret getting bat mode - you have to limit yourself for a challenge.

The story isn't amazing, but the universe is really cool. I even found myself reading the details in some of those books you get.

The biggest problem with the game is the items and some of the abilities you can buy are too overpowered. I really regret getting bat mode - you have to limit yourself for a challenge.
Come back when you're playing on NSIC.

Top Bottom