• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have never BBQ'd in my life. Only grilled.

I have been told the following which has discourged me from doing it.

* It's messy as hell and takes forever to clean

* No way to adjust heat, so you are essentially standing there and cooking for 9 hours.

* Requires constant attention and work just to make a simple dinner.

Say it aint so GAF.

Initially all of those are true. But the more you do it, the easier it gets. I did a small brisket for 8 hours over the weekend and only checked out the smoker 3 times. After I got the temp where I wanted it, it was good to go. You learn about adjusting vents, fuel, etc.

Not sure where the messy part comes in though.

FStop7

Banned
I have never BBQ'd in my life. Only grilled.

I have been told the following which has discourged me from doing it.

* It's messy as hell and takes forever to clean

* No way to adjust heat, so you are essentially standing there and cooking for 9 hours.

* Requires constant attention and work just to make a simple dinner.

Say it aint so GAF.

BBQ isn't really about making a simple dinner, you don't come home after work and fire up the BBQ. It's a long/slow cooking process, that's why the food is tender and tastes so good.

And it takes 9 hours because you CAN adjust the heat. You set the heat to a range of 200 - 250 degrees and keep it there for several hours. Adjusting it is a matter of opening/closing vents and possibly adding more fuel to the fire. You also may have something inside the BBQ like a large pan of water or a clay dish to help regulate the heat.

And it doesn't requrie constant work and attention once it's going. People often run their BBQs overnight on long cooks. Even as a first timer I only needed to check mine once an hour or so.

Billen

Banned
Sounds like you need a proper smoker. I suggest the Weber Smokey Mountain if you can find it there. I don't know where you normally buy from Amazon, but I'm assuming either from England or Germany. Looks like it's pretty expensive over there, and everything will likely cost more than it costs us. This seems to be a German listing for the WSM.

You could also check Weber's Swedish site and see if there are buying locations on there.

Hmm, the WSM is ok in price. I will actually go for it. Tonight GAF, tomorrow suburbia!

andycapps

Hmm, the WSM is ok in price. I will actually go for it. Tonight GAF, tomorrow suburbia!

There you go! Make sure and grab some basic charcoal. The go-to brand in the US is Kingsford, I don't know if it's there or not. Just get something with no additives, no lighter fluid, etc. And grab a Weber charcoal chimney while you're at it.

FStop7

Banned
Dat butt.

ibzLx4Suzcr1QY.jpg

Ok GAF, bought a thirteen pound brisket and about to start, I'll try to get some pictures of the final product although it is supposed to rain for the fourth weekend in a row here in Atlanta.

FStop7

Banned
Pork came out better than last time. Better texture. Different rub, slightly different flavor and more bark. Food coma now.

Dammit, I'm normally not one to complain about weather reports, etc, but wtf, it's pouring like a damn monsoon outside and weather.com says 0% chance of precipitation while showing a radar of a giant ball of dark red for the area. Useless.

Need to change the temperature since it's dropped a bit according to the Maverick but hell if I'm going out there now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Making a batch of these today...perfect compliment to BBQ...

Dinosaur BBQ garlic jalepeno dill pickles

Garlic dill pickles

3-4 lbs of pickling cucumbers
1/4cup chopped garlic
2 jalapenos sliced
1/2cup chopped fresh dill

combine the following in a large saucepan and bring to a boil:

4 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
6 tbs kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 heaping tbs of pickling spice
2 tbs mustard seed
2 tbs black peppercorns

let brine cool slightly, and pour over cukes/peppers/garlic/dill. refrigerate.

best after 1 week!

IMG_2824.jpg

(not my brisket)

Hello fellows. First time in the BBQ thread. Please be kind as I ask stupid questions:

I'm making beer can chicken today for the first time. A friend of mine recently made this (the best I've ever had) and he said he cooked it for 4 hours. I can't find any recipe that shows a cooking time for 4 hours.

Anyone have some recommendations on cooking time/what to do while cooking?

CrankyJay

Banned
Hello fellows. First time in the BBQ thread. Please be kind as I ask stupid questions:

I'm making beer can chicken today for the first time. A friend of mine recently made this (the best I've ever had) and he said he cooked it for 4 hours. I can't find any recipe that shows a cooking time for 4 hours.

Depends on several things including temperature and size of chicken. A 4-6 pound bird left whole at 350 can take about 2-2.5 hours. Maybe your friend was cooking lower?

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, I'd do 350-375 for crispy skin. Will take about 2 hours. Use a thermometer to check done ness or pierce the bird near the thigh and make sure the juices run clear.

Well, I'd do 350-375 for crispy skin. Will take about 2 hours. Use a thermometer to check done ness or pierce the bird near the thigh and make sure the juices run clear.

That sounds like a plan. If I have three burners, how many should I have on and where should I place the chicken?

Running to the store so I'll check back in here later. Thanks again!

ShinAmano

Man I may have to try to make those pickles. Thanks for sharing.

Yup.

I was bummed this weekend...wanted to smoke some ribs...but the weather did not cooperate. Next week.

Also can someone let me know how to get images to show on gaf? I uploaded my 21lb pork cook last week to flickr but could only link to the images.

CrankyJay

Banned
That sounds like a plan. If I have three burners, how many should I have on and where should I place the chicken?

Running to the store so I'll check back in here later. Thanks again!

I wonder if you could get the grill up to 350-375 on 1 burner in the front or back and put the chicken over the 2 burners that are off so you're cooking indirect.

CrankyJay

Banned
I actually use half the amount of sugar recommended for this recipe as I don't like my pickles too sweet.

I also cut my pickles into half to one inch chunks instead of spears. I'll take pics of the process.

Ridli

That is some fine lookin beef.

Semi-related note, I've seen that Maverick mentioned a lot, and it's the same one I use. Did everyone on gaf use the same thermometer recommendation from amazing ribs?

That is some fine lookin beef.

Semi-related note, I've seen that Maverick mentioned a lot, and it's the same one I use. Did everyone on gaf use the same thermometer recommendation from amazing ribs?

I don't remember where I saw the recommendation first but I see it everywhere. I was deciding between it and the iGrill and chose the Maverick due to the steady flow of good reviews and it having all the features I wanted. Didn't think I needed any phone integration. Today was actually my first time using the Maverick as you can see from one of the pictures it's in the background. I was very happy with it today. I calibrated it last night along with my dome thermometer (well, I tested them, they were all 212 when water was boiling so I didn't need to adjust anything).

Note for those using it on a big green egg, the grid temp for the probe you put in the stand on the grill close to the meat is quite different from the dome temp at first, as you cook they get closer and closer. Might be the same for other smokers just thought I'd put that out there as it was a point of weirdness for me until I saw some notes about it on a grilling forum, may have been the BGE forums.

andycapps

Sounds like you've already made it, but Meathead recommends cooking the chicken and drinking the beer. Not much beer can evaporate into the meat, and since beer is mostly water anyway, you're likely not getting much (if any) beer taste. Also, the can keeps heat from getting in the cavity of the bird, thereby the outside can be cooked and the inside can be undercooked and unsafe. Also, beer cans aren't rated for high heat so that may also be unsafe. Probably not the end of the world, but using a wire rack in the future if you'd like so that it keeps the chicken upright, and then using a good rub on it would probably end up better.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sounds like you've already made it, but Meathead recommends cooking the chicken and drinking the beer. Not much beer can evaporate into the meat, and since beer is mostly water anyway, you're likely not getting much (if any) beer taste. Also, the can keeps heat from getting in the cavity of the bird, thereby the outside can be cooked and the inside can be undercooked and unsafe. Also, beer cans aren't rated for high heat so that may also be unsafe. Probably not the end of the world, but using a wire rack in the future if you'd like so that it keeps the chicken upright, and then using a good rub on it would probably end up better.

I've never experienced this...ever, then again I always do my chickens above 300, so I guess if you were doing this low and slow it could be a problem.

Is it a gimmick? Sure...but it's a nick rack to sit the bird on, in a pinch. The steam from the can provides enough heat (also, you shouldn't be using cold beer anyway).

Chris R

First night of grilling, wasn't terrible, but I got a terrible headache from standing over the grill too much. Burgers were terrific, just one problem though... Damn grill didn't really get THAT hot, even though I used half a chimney.

Also, how the hell do I stop the charcoal from cooking? Having to stick around for an hour while the damn coals burned down to ash sucked!

First night of grilling, wasn't terrible, but I got a terrible headache from standing over the grill too much. Burgers were terrific, just one problem though... Damn grill didn't really get THAT hot, even though I used half a chimney.

Also, how the hell do I stop the charcoal from cooking? Having to stick around for an hour while the damn coals burned down to ash sucked!

Are you using briquettes or natural lump charcoal. Natural Lump will burn hotter than the briquettes. As far as putting them out, what kind of/model of grill do you have? Basically you'll want to close up all of your vents, so that the coals aren't getting enough oxygen to keep burning.

andycapps

I've never experienced this...ever, then again I always do my chickens above 300, so I guess if you were doing this low and slow it could be a problem.

Is it a gimmick? Sure...but it's a nick rack to sit the bird on, in a pinch. The steam from the can provides enough heat (also, you shouldn't be using cold beer anyway).

You've still got the issue of the can not being made for high temps, the paint on the outside of the can, etc.. Eh for me I'd rather cook my chicken differently and not have any additional health risks.

GodofWine

I have a gas smoker and just bought a dual probe remote thermometer, one probe clips into the smoker to tell you what temp its at and one goes into the meat and it transmits nicely into my house, it was well worth the 60 bucks.

I'm going to be smoking a large shoulder and brisket at the same time in a week, I've never tried to coordinate two cuts before but I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.

CrankyJay

Banned
You've still got the issue of the can not being made for high temps, the paint on the outside of the can, etc.. Eh for me I'd rather cook my chicken differently and not have any additional health risks.

Eh, to each his own. I make a beer can chicken probably once a summer. I have the stands too.

Flying down to North Carolina this weekend to visit my brother, he has an annual pig roast. Can't wait.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have a gas smoker and just bought a dual probe remote thermometer, one probe clips into the smoker to tell you what temp its at and one goes into the meat and it transmits nicely into my house, it was well worth the 60 bucks.

I'm going to be smoking a large shoulder and brisket at the same time in a week, I've never tried to coordinate two cuts before but I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.

Not a huge deal...I've done this before. Just put the meat that is done first in a cooler with tin foil so it can rest while the other finishes.

Chris R

Are you using briquettes or natural lump charcoal. Natural Lump will burn hotter than the briquettes. As far as putting them out, what kind of/model of grill do you have? Basically you'll want to close up all of your vents, so that the coals aren't getting enough oxygen to keep burning.

Just Kingsford briquettes in a typical Weber grill (using a chimney starter). Only filled up the chimney half way and it got the grill decently warm (not hot though) and cooked a good burger when they were directly over the coals. I'll have to try closing everything next time, would I be able to reuse those coals next time?

Just Kingsford briquettes in a typical Weber grill (using a chimney starter). Only filled up the chimney half way and it got the grill decently warm (not hot though) and cooked a good burger when they were directly over the coals. I'll have to try closing everything next time, would I be able to reuse those coals next time?

IMHO if you want a hotter fire, dump the Kingsford briquettes, they just do not burn as hot as natural lump charcoal. If you want a recommendation on a brand where are you located (US state wise or another country?). If you're using a Weber kettle then yeah when you're done just close up all the vents, the fire will go out, and what ever is left is totally usable again.

I personally LOVE and pay to have shipped the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend Natural Lump charcoal. It burns really hot, lights really easily, and when I cut off the air supply it goes out pretty quick which saves a fair amount of charcoal for next time.

Chris R

IMHO if you want a hotter fire, dump the Kingsford briquettes, they just do not burn as hot as natural lump charcoal. If you want a recommendation on a brand where are you located (US state wise or another country?). If you're using a Weber kettle then yeah when you're done just close up all the vents, the fire will go out, and what ever is left is totally usable again.

I personally LOVE and pay to have shipped the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend Natural Lump charcoal. It burns really hot, lights really easily, and when I cut off the air supply it goes out pretty quick which saves a fair amount of charcoal for next time.

I'll have to try natural lump when my bag runs out. Plan on cooking at least three days over the long holiday this coming weekend so I should have a decent system down by then I think. Never had charcoal before so it is a learning experience.

I'll have to try natural lump when my bag runs out. Plan on cooking at least three days over the long holiday this coming weekend so I should have a decent system down by then I think. Never had charcoal before so it is a learning experience.

Go and check out the lump reviews here it'll give you a good idea of what to look for in quality Lump charcoal.

CrankyJay

Banned
Didn't get a chance to take step by step pics...but here's my batch of the garlic jalapeno dills...will try them next week.

RCG1igQ.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Just a heads up...

Kingsford Blue 2x20lb packs are on sale at Home Depot (and probably Lowes as well) this weekend starting today for $9.98...that's half price.

Go stock up!

AVclub

Made a brisket in my Weber bullet a year ago. It came out great, for my first one. Thanks to SuperStorm Sandy, I no longer have it and I miss the thing.

dkLrmHw.jpg

YLRQYL0.jpg

KufVQjb.jpg

oNozQOY.jpg

Top Bottom