• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Sup guys. Asked this in reddit, asking here as well.

First time grill buyer so I have settled on a Genesis and the question is if I should just buy a new Genesis II E-310 for $600 or purchase a used Genesis E-320 for $275.

The Genesis E-320 would be a purchase from craigslist and has "newer flavorizer bars and regulator." The grill is 9 years old and he is selling it because he purchased a new grill that will connect with a natural gas line.

pics of Genesis E-320

thanks!

ColdPizza

Banned
Sup guys. Asked this in reddit, asking here as well.

First time grill buyer so I have settled on a Genesis and the question is if I should just buy a new Genesis II E-310 for $600 or purchase a used Genesis E-320 for $275.

The Genesis E-320 would be a purchase from craigslist and has "newer flavorizer bars and regulator." The grill is 9 years old and he is selling it because he purchased a new grill that will connect with a natural gas line.

pics of Genesis E-320

thanks!

The 320 looks in decent shape. You should see if you can talk them down a little bit, it's Craigslist afterall.

Do you have enough room for the other E-310? Do you need as much surface space? How many are you cooking for, or this for your bulk phases? =)

The 320 looks in decent shape. You should see if you can talk them down a little bit, it's Craigslist afterall.

Do you have enough room for the other E-310? Do you need as much surface space? How many are you cooking for, or this for your bulk phases? =)

Of course! That would be the plan!

Yeah, plenty of room. Main use would be for 1-2 people but I do plan to host at the house at times so 3-6 people. Ideally I would like to get the Genesis E-210 but talking to the manager of the hardware store, he said he'd give the me three burner for only 100 more. So debating if I should go that route.

And I will use this to meal prep every week! So much chicken and steak haha.

ColdPizza

Banned
Of course! That would be the plan!

Yeah, plenty of room. Main use would be for 1-2 people but I do plan to host at the house at times so 3-6 people. Ideally I would like to get the Genesis E-210 but talking to the manager of the hardware store, he said he'd give the me three burner for only 100 more. So debating if I should go that route.

And I will use this to meal prep every week! So much chicken and steak haha.

New is always nice I guess, plus it's bigger. Webers tend to last a long ass time when even halfway decent maintenance and storage.

Can't speak for a used grill, but on new ones you'll love the even heating and how moist/tender proteins like chicken turn out if you following their cooking guides.

DarkestHour

Banned
Any ideas for a newbie who wants to get in to smoking for a good electric/propane smoker? I suppose my budget is $300. This will be mainly smoking for my immediate family so nothing major.

zbarron

Any ideas for a newbie who wants to get in to smoking for a good electric/propane smoker? I suppose my budget is $300. This will be mainly smoking for my immediate family so nothing major.

I haven't used them myself but I'd check out this article
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...nexpensive-equipment-amazing-ribs-review.html
Scroll down until you get to propane smoker, and scroll further for electric.

As for taste Wood>Charcoal>Propane>Electric. As for convenience/ease it's pretty much the reverse. 

Dan-o

I'm a relative newbie. Started in January this year, and have only done about 5 or 6 smokes.

I say go charcoal. :) Weber Smokey Mountain is what I use.

Kumquat

Gonna be serious this time. I am proudly Texas GAF but because of my living in apartments I have been restricted from learning how to smoke. I watch a lot on Youtube but never really had the opportunity to do it myself.

The apartment I'm moving to has fire supression systems set up for the balconies so I can finally do some smoking from my apartment.

So I'm looking for a beginner friendly smoker. Fairly small. Large enough to hold 1 brisket. Not too terribly expensive but best bang for the buck. Recommendations please and explanation of why you think this would suit me.

So I'm looking for a beginner friendly smoker. Fairly small. Large enough to hold 1 brisket. Not too terribly expensive but best bang for the buck. Recommendations please and explanation of why you think this would suit me.

A whole brisket or just the point? A whole brisket, you would need at least 25" of space offset from the heat. Unless you planned on going with propane, in which case you can get one of those little upright units. There's been some talk about them in the last couple of pages if you want to scroll through and read about it.

If you're doing just the point or smoking a pork butt, a weber 22" kettle is the go-to around here for best cost effective route.

Kumquat

A whole brisket or just the point? A whole brisket, you would need at least 25" of space offset from the heat. Unless you planned on going with propane, in which case you can get one of those little upright units. There's been some talk about them in the last couple of pages if you want to scroll through and read about it.

If you're doing just the point or smoking a pork butt, a weber 22" kettle is the go-to around here for best cost effective route.

Let's say for size one brisket both flat and point would be the largest thing I would do. I don't mind going slightly bigger than standard, just want something good for a beginner that isn't gigantor but still fits what I want.

XenodudeX

So I'm trying to try my hand at grilling meat for the first time for some friends on the 4th. I have this old ass fiesta advantis gas grill that I want to use and I could use some advice for a grilling newbie.

1. I plan on grilling sausages, chicken, and some hamburger patties, but I really really want to grill some ribs. The only problem is that I heard that is kind of hard to do with a gas grill, has anyone tried doing this? What was the result? Should a grilling noob even attempt to try it?

2. Any tips on cleaning? As I said before, the grill is pretty old, and there's a lot of dirty shit in the bottom of the grill ( ash, rust, etc). The grates has crap on it too, is it safe to just toss those in the dish washer or something?

3. I could also use some tips on grilling chicken, sausages, and the hamburgers as well.

1. Gas can work as long as you have enough space to offset the heat source. On a three burner, you want the far right on and place the ribs on the far left. Use a thermometer to find a good temp at about 250-275. You can use a tin pan with some soaked wood chips to help give the smokey flavor.

2. Never put them in a dishwasher. You can spray them down with some oven cleaner and place them in a black garbage bag. Tie it up and place it in a sunny spot for a couple of hours. Then use a scrub brush to get the icky stuff off and hose it off. Be sure to do it in a well ventilated area. You can also try baking soda and vinegar if you have that on hand, or simple green.
Some people have placed the grates in an oven and baked it at like 500 for an hour. Placing a large oven drip pan on the grate below to catch the gunky stuff.
Start working on it today.

Then season the clean racks by placing them on the grill and getting it heated up. Then rub some cooking oil across the top. You can use a bbq mop or paper towels held by tongs.

3. Always use two zone grilling a hot side for instant searing and a lower side for cooking. Of course having a gas grill means you can alternate the temps when you need to, but I find it easier to keep it in the two zone until it's all done cooking and then turn the burners down low to keep it warm.

Chicken I cook on the outside in the indirect heat side. It takes about 30-40mins depending on size. Chicken thighs are usually nice a even in thickness and cook up easily. Chicken breasts are another beast. Those are too easy to dry out. Or you can buy a whole chicken and split it. I cut out the spine and then slice it down the rib cage.
Sausage. I cook them more or less over direct heat but I turn them often. If the outside starts getting crispy I move it just off the flame.
Burgers, I line them up right on the edge of the flame, and then move them over the flame as I lay down more patties. I don't use premade patties, and I form them just before throwing them on the grill. So the ones on the edge start cooking first and have a few minute head start. I only flip once, but I pay attention to see if they need to be shuffled around. Put the cheese on halfway through the cook on the second side and put the lid on to get it melty and gooey.

Let's say for size one brisket both flat and point would be the largest thing I would do. I don't mind going slightly bigger than standard, just want something good for a beginner that isn't gigantor but still fits what I want.

I couldn't fit a whole brisket on my weber grill. It was edge to edge and not enough space to offset the heat. You might want to look at smokers with the offset box that can double as a traditional grill.

zbarron

I couldn't fit a whole brisket on my weber grill. It was edge to edge and not enough space to offset the heat. You might want to look at smokers with the offset box that can double as a traditional grill.
How much did it weigh? This was a 12lb full packer before trimming and I just barely got it on. Any bigger and I'd have to trim some off to make it fit.
34128445614_ce35331159_b.jpg

FU2Hdtz.jpg

Pork butt and red hots an hour in. Making pulled pork for the 4th. What yall cookin for the holiday?

Edit Made a meatloaf,gonna smoke that too why the hell not?

SOME-MIST

Got myself a wsm 14, and haven't smoked anything for the last year previously using an 18 inch. Did 2 chickens for 3 hours and two ribs for 6.5 hours and unfortunately slacked on the pictures but it turned out decent for a first smoke.

4xtlM7E.jpg

94iRKUT.jpg

I've been seriously wanting to get into grilling / smoking and have pretty much decided not to go with electric / propane despite the convenience.

I think the next best bet for me is a pellet grill / smoker and I'm probably going with this model.

Pit Boss 820 Deluxe
Simply turn a dial and start up the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe Pellet Grill. You'll be able to bake a pizza, smoke up ribs or sear a steak with the delicious flavor imparted by wood pellets. With a wide range of cooking temperatures at your fingertips, you can utilize the digital control board to precisely cook up whatever's on the menu. And with the amply sized cooking space, steel shelf and serving tray, you'll have plenty of room for prepping, cooking and plating your food.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pit-boss-820-deluxe-pellet-grill

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Did our cooking yesterday. One chicken with just a rub that we got from the farmers market, one from a recipe on SeriousEats that used chipotles in adobo sauce, and trout that we turned into a spread with cream cheese, lemon, garlic scapes and capers.

I've been seriously wanting to get into grilling / smoking and have pretty much decided not to go with electric / propane despite the convenience.

I think the next best bet for me is a pellet grill / smoker and I'm probably going with this model.

Pit Boss 820 Deluxe
Read reviews well. Some are great and other will clog or not maintain the temperature properly. Never owned one, so don't have much personal experience, but just things I've picked up reading.

ColdPizza

Banned
Crap, was making ribs for dinner tonight and when I opened the cryovac they had a really sulfurous smell to them, even after rinsing them and drying them off.

Now, even after smoking almost 3 hours I can still smell it a bit....and these ribs were still 4 days before the sell by date.

Don't want to chance it with guests so I'm just probably going to toss them and make burgers or something instead.

Pissed about the time wasted tho.

19601072_10208887834139191_5033212742752170562_n.jpg

19601217_10208889225693979_5577301363186366719_n.jpg

Have to cook on the cheap this year.
Not making my own rub this time, cooked two hours in the over at 250, now heading for the grill.

Doctored some cheap sauce up with onions, ginger, tomato paste, and soy.

About 20 bux total, very happy.

mf.luder

Smoked side ribs with Memphis dust for just under 4 hours, 250-260 degrees. Spritzed around 3 hours and a sprinkle more of Memphis dust.

Pulled them out and the rub was a little mushy. I put it on too thick? Or because of the spritz? Or maybe I should’ve left them in longer?

Any feedback is appreciated.

ColdPizza

Banned
Smoked side ribs with Memphis dust for just under 4 hours, 250-260 degrees. Spritzed around 3 hours and a sprinkle more of Memphis dust.

Pulled them out and the rub was a little mushy. I put it on too thick? Or because of the spritz? Or maybe I should've left them in longer?

maybe the spritz....it sounds like your bark didn't set. is it humid where you are or did you have a water pan in there?

other option is the temp was lower than you think (inaccurate thermometer)

course correction could be: remove moisture from smoker, crank up heat a little bit, possibly add a little more wood for smoke

also, i've never added more rub once smoking...you might have caked it on too much. should still see some surface on the meat.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Pulled them out and the rub was a little mushy. I put it on too thick? Or because of the spritz? Or maybe I should’ve left them in longer?

if the bark is mushy it didnt get enough time on the pit without foil. (not sure if you foiled or not)

regardless 4 hours usually isnt enough time, most methods are similar to the 3 2 1, which is 6 hours.

ColdPizza

Banned
if the bark is mushy it didnt get enough time on the pit without foil. (not sure if you foiled or not)

regardless 4 hours usually isnt enough time, most methods are similar to the 3 2 1, which is 6 hours.

depends on the temp.

I can get loin backs done in 4 hour at 275 following Harry Soo's method....basically, 3-1...

3 uncovered, 1 foil wrapped.

zbarron

Anyone here use Smokenator 1000? I love mine so much. Holds temp perfectly. Last forever.
I and several others here use the Slow N Sear which is similar. I'd suggest you check it out, but if you're having good results with your smokenator, no need. Do you have any pictures of recent smokes?

Also quit getting banned.
Yah, will avoid hot topic threads probably from on, hah. Good to be back. I saw your pastrami. Looked ace. Is any to do this soon
If you're reading this ColdPizza, you should have followed your own advice. At least get banned in the winter when discussion is low.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
depends on the temp.

I can get loin backs done in 4 hour at 275 following Harry Soo's method....basically, 3-1...

3 uncovered, 1 foil wrapped.
of course it does. Generally most people start out at 225 using either the 3 2 1 or 2 2 1 method depending on cut cause thats literally what everyone does. Its not till you start doing more research you find out people like Myron Mixon do ribs at like 325.

If you're reading this ColdPizza, you should have followed your own advice. At least get banned in the winter when discussion is low.
seriously, its not that hard to not get banned, c'mon man.

ag-my001

of course it does. Generally most people start out at 225 using either the 3 2 1 or 2 2 1 method depending on cut cause thats literally what everyone does. Its not till you start doing more research you find out people like Myron Mixon do ribs at like 325.

seriously, its not that hard to not get banned, c'mon man.
It's also the difference between personal cooking and competition style. 3-2-1 gets you a decent bark and very tender / fall off the bone ribs, which is what many people like. 325° gets you bite marks left behind, which is what competition judging demands. Pick what you like, cook to get it there.

Got 3 racks of baby backs smoking as we speak,trying some different rubs this time around. Finally bought some beef ribs which I'll be smoking next week,anything different I need to do with beef? I assume same cooking Temps and methods as the pork?

zbarron

Got 3 racks of baby backs smoking as we speak,trying some different rubs this time around. Finally bought some beef ribs which I'll be smoking next week,anything different I need to do with beef? I assume same cooking Temps and methods as the pork?
I cook pretty much everything except chicken at 225-250. You might choose a different rub for the beef ribs. They taste pretty much like brisket on a bone if that gives you an idea of the taste profile to go for. Timing of course depends on the kind of beef ribs, if they're cut into individual ribs etc. I'm sure you can find a recipe for however you want them.

Beef ribs might be my favorite thing to smoke. I prefer the stronger flavor of the beef to the pork, but beef briskets always make too much to eat without freezing, and are quite the investment.

So anyone have a YouTube video on how to bbq. I want to get into bbq but I don't know where to begin. I have a charcoal grill btw if that helps

Dan-o

So anyone have a YouTube video on how to bbq. I want to get into bbq but I don't know where to begin. I have a charcoal grill btw if that helps

amazingribs.com is a good place to start, if you can get past the, um, web design. :)

They have good tips for the type of grill you're using... recipes... videos... etc.
And it's not just about ribs. :)

luoapp

Get yourself a bbq starter if you don't have one. Start with simple ingredients ( green pepper, mushroom, corn, steak ) and simple seasonings ( salt, pepper, vege oil). They still taste amazing when done right. Then you can move to other ingredients (rib, fish, etc. ) and all kinds of rubs.

zbarron

I'll give the same advice I give everyone. Start with pulled pork. Also get a digital thermometer to put on the grate. That said here are 4 videos on how to make BBQ pulled pork from my 4 favorite Youtube BBQ channels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deqzu2pqvEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-Njz_Zy-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZeyT5OvomE&t

I cook pretty much everything except chicken at 225-250. You might choose a different rub for the beef ribs. They taste pretty much like brisket on a bone if that gives you an idea of the taste profile to go for. Timing of course depends on the kind of beef ribs, if they're cut into individual ribs etc. I'm sure you can find a recipe for however you want them.

Beef ribs might be my favorite thing to smoke. I prefer the stronger flavor of the beef to the pork, but beef briskets always make too much to eat without freezing, and are quite the investment.

Cool thanks. I've got two racks of them so if they are similar to brisket in terms of taste I think I'll try one with my brisket rub and one with just salt and pepper,see which I prefer. As far as wood which do you prefer? I've got apple,pecan and hickory atm.

zbarron

Cool thanks. I've got two racks of them so if they are similar to brisket in terms of taste I think I'll try one with my brisket rub and one with just salt and pepper,see which I prefer. As far as wood which do you prefer? I've got apple,pecan and hickory atm.

I haven't used pecan, but I used hickory with my most recent brisket and it was good. Fruit woods can be a little too mild compared to the flavors of black pepper and beef. As always don't overdo it though.

Kumquat

After doing some research I think a pellet smoker will be best for me. They can be rather expensive. Would like a recommendation best bang for the buck on a pellet smoker

Top Bottom