• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I thought every routine was 1 hour (barring Ab ripper which I'm doing 3 times a week anyway), then I checked and yoga is 90 minutes, RIP me tomorrow.
It's really not as bad as it sounds. I usually skip the last six minutes of stretching, which makes it only about 5-10 minutes longer than most of the other workouts plus Ab Ripper X — and that's if you do ARX in the standard time, which I certainly don't! I always have to pause a few times.

Don't look at the timer, though. It makes it worse.

So I'm almost done with p90x and i've gone from 210 to 193 lbs so far which is pretty impressive (I'm 6'1 btw). My question is should I continue onto p90x2, go towards insanity, or move to body beast? For the record my ultimate goal is to have a Lebron James -esque physique
sans HGH

I thought every routine was 1 hour (barring Ab ripper which I'm doing 3 times a week anyway), then I checked and yoga is 90 minutes, RIP me tomorrow.

At first I hated how long Yoga X is but i'm in recovery week of phase 2 and it really flies by on repeat tries

That would be awesome. Wonder how Tony feels about things though, Shaun T's definitely become Beachbody's superstar. P90X2 hasn't sold all that well, but T25's selling *fast*, and Insanity is super popular too.

Thinking about doing a Body Beast/Insanity hybrid after finishing up T25 (including Gamma), and following that up with Asylum 1 and 2. That should bring me into January of next year. Unless of course Beachbody comes up with yet another cool workout program between now and then that I *have* to do :)

Thanks for adding me to the Body Beast grads list, SteeloDMZ!

I find Tony to be amazingly irritating to listen to, thus I could never do P90X or anything he's in.

Shaun T comes across very likeable, genuine and really wanting to help you push through the workout. That's a big plus for many, I'm guessing.

Day 13 and I'm about to do two videos for the first time - Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs. I don't know whether I'm scared or excited! Thinking I'm gonna do Cardio Abs as soon as I'm done, maybe after a quick drinks break.

gotoadgo

Day 13 and I'm about to do two videos for the first time - Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs. I don't know whether I'm scared or excited! Thinking I'm gonna do Cardio Abs as soon as I'm done, maybe after a quick drinks break.
Just go straight through, cardio abs is really short and isn't too intense cardio wise.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Signed up for a 10k that will be Sunday July 7th. Interested to see how I'll perform, considering that I haven't been working my legs a lot and I've only ran once since my last 10k in November.

i'm starting insanity on july 1st

any tips before i start?
I'm a newbie myself, but make sure you have the right food in your cupboards before you start. And don't eat too soon before the fitness test. I did it about an hour after lunch and ended up spending most of my time trying not to feel sick!

Menaged

My week of rest is coming to an end, and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing Insanity again since I HATE running.

I'm just not sure if to start over from day 1, or do month 2 until I'm sick of it.
Any recommendations?

And coolcole, don't worry about Cardio abs, there's not much cardio involved so it's no problem to do it after a workout. At the warm up part I skipped the jumping portion though since I told myself "fuck it, I jumped enough in the last hour". Not sure it's the wise thing to do, but... yeah.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Did a T25 workout today, Alpha: Cardio, at a coaches' gathering. Pretty cool workout! Very different from Insanity. Starts out slow & builds up, no breaks, though there are active recovery moves. There is a cool down that's a couple minutes and autoplays after the 25 minute workout.
Overall I'm impressed and it's only the first workout. Starting for real on Monday.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
IMG_0897.JPG

Going to do the first two workouts to see what it's about this week then start for real next Monday. :)

FOOTE

Nah. Yoga is a great Sunday workout. Get past he first 45 to 50 minutes, and the rest is cake (except yoga belly 7 maybe). It will be tough your fist few times though, no doubt.

Razorskin

----- ------
Nah. Yoga is a great Sunday workout. Get past he first 45 to 50 minutes, and the rest is cake (except yoga belly 7 maybe). It will be tough your fist few times though, no doubt.

Yeah, that was generally my experience with it today, half of it kicked my ass the rest went rather smoothly.

Dat crane doe

I've been able to hold that pose for about 20 secs and I just finished phase 2

When he gave the warning I knew it was going to be trouble, just got in child pose instead, Tony pls.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Crane pose tip: put a yoga block on its end below where your forehead goes. You can lightly rest your head on it, but you should work towards holding your head slightly above it. It'll give you a bit of confidence that you're not going to tip forward and smash your face!

Also, crane is more about core strength than arm strength. Your arms get locked into place once they're in the right position, but keeping your legs up & where the need to be is up to your core and hip flexors.

So the block will help give you the confidence you need to stay up and practice.

First week of month 2 is when you'll understand the meaning of fear.....

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For anyone that has the Chin-Up Max, does it work just as well if your bar is hanging in a low doorframe? It seems to be completely adjustable, and the videos I've watched indicate that, but I just want to try and make sure before I order one. I imagine that I might just need to bend one leg. It should still be better than the "toe on chair" method, which has me hanging in kind of an unnatural position when doing reps.

Ghost23

Today was my second day on P90X, plyometrics X. Man, I don't know if it's because I used to run competitively, but I thought this workout was not difficult at all. I kinda want to switch this workout out with a running workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
For anyone that has the Chin-Up Max, does it work just as well if your bar is hanging in a low doorframe? It seems to be completely adjustable, and the videos I've watched indicate that, but I just want to try and make sure before I order one. I imagine that I might just need to bend one leg. It should still be better than the "toe on chair" method, which has me hanging in kind of an unnatural position when doing reps.

It's very adjustable. Both in terms of how high the stirrup is and how many bands you use. You're supposed to step in it and extend that leg in front of you, not keep it bent, so you may need to play around with that. You might be able to bend a knee & put it in the stirrup if the bar is too low for you to extend your leg.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Today was my second day on P90X, plyometrics X. Man, I don't know if it's because I used to run competitively, but I thought this workout was not difficult at all. I kinda want to switch this workout out with a running workout.

Do the program as it was designed, at least the first time. If you didn't find it "difficult at all", crank that to eleven and jump as high as you can, do perfect form, add extra reps, etc. until you feel the burn.

Fitness test 2 tomorrow morning! For some reason, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm going to comfortably beat my first set of results. Partly because I've been improving for 2 weeks and partly because the first time I just felt ill throughout.

Fit test 2 done! Felt much better throughout. I really felt like I'd progressed today.

Switch Kicks 60 --> 70 (+10)
Power Jacks 33 --> 47 (+14)
Power Knees 50 --> 87 (+37)
Power Jumps 17 --> 32 (+15)
Globe Jumps 4 --> 7 (+3)
Suicide Jumps 7 --> 12 (+5)
Push Up Jacks 19 --> 18 (-1)
Low Plank Oblique 29 --> 57 (+28)

Overall very happy. I feel like my fitness has returned back to what it was a few months ago before the student lifestyle took its toll on me. Going forward, I should hopefully start to get even fitter than I've ever been :D

Hitting day 60 of P90X.

I've gone from 202 pounds at the start to ... 202 pounds. I can see the results and I'm getting better numbers in everything but still would be nice to drop below 200.

Still going to push on.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Fit test 2 done! Felt much better throughout. I really felt like I'd progressed today.

Switch Kicks 60 --> 70 (+10)
Power Jacks 33 --> 47 (+14)
Power Knees 50 --> 87 (+37)
Power Jumps 17 --> 32 (+15)
Globe Jumps 4 --> 7 (+3)
Suicide Jumps 7 --> 12 (+5)
Push Up Jacks 19 --> 18 (-1)
Low Plank Oblique 29 --> 57 (+28)

Overall very happy. I feel like my fitness has returned back to what it was a few months ago before the student lifestyle took its toll on me. Going forward, I should hopefully start to get even fitter than I've ever been :D

Awesome job! Just think what your numbers'll be in your last fitness test!

Hitting day 60 of P90X.

I've gone from 202 pounds at the start to ... 202 pounds. I can see the results and I'm getting better numbers in everything but still would be nice to drop below 200.

Still going to push on.

Just remember, for the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat. The true tale of progress is in your reps/weights and measurements. So keep at it & don't get discouraged!

Can you outline your diet? Maybe we can make some recommendations for modifications to help you burn fat faster.

Gah, portland is filled with carbohydrates

Must.. resist... delicious baked goods...

Just remember, 85/15! As long as you do the "right" thing most of the time and keep working out, you should be fine. And you can hit the ground running when you get home & get back on track.

-----

Day One of Focus T25: Alpha: Cardio complete!
OK this program is kinda brilliant, and I'm only in day one. I love the way the workout is structured, how it builds up the moves in complexity and intensity and then combines them. You get a few moments of active recovery here & there but there are no breaks in the 25 minutes. If you need a rest, follow Tanya who's doing low/non-impact modifications the whole time. My wife joined me this morning for the workout and we were both sweating buckets!

I think this is going to be Beachbody's most popular workout program. It's short -- everyone's got 25 minutes. And it'll work for all levels of fitness because of the modifications. And of course Shaun T is as motivational and charismatic as ever. Great stuff. Get it now!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ate well last week, ate solid this weekend. Did 3 workouts last week. No weight loss. Hopefully starting T-25 triggers it because I gained 6 pounds on vacation a month ago and it just won't go away... I'd like to lose 10 lbs on T-25.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ate well last well, ate solid this weekend. Did 3 workouts last week. No weight loss. Hopefully starting T-25 triggers it because I gained 6 pounds on vacation a month ago and it just won't go away... I'd like to lose 10 lbs on T-25.

Dude the diet plan if you choose to follow it is all based on weight loss. Basically either a 1600 or 1200 calorie meal plan. You answer a few questions to arrive at the level. And the cool thing is, they have protein-based and carb-based meals, and you can choose which you want based on energy level, satiety, or your own preferences. 1600cal for me seems low, but it'd definitely burn the extra fat off.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dude the diet plan if you choose to follow it is all based on weight loss. Basically either a 1600 or 1200 calorie meal plan. You answer a few questions to arrive at the level. And the cool thing is, they have protein-based and carb-based meals, and you can choose which you want based on energy level, satiety, or your own preferences. 1600cal for me seems low, but it'd definitely burn the extra fat off.

The plans are hard for me to follow because of how exact you have to buy food, it usually ends up being expensive or I can't find parts. I need to look at the T-25 one though. I have my own plan that gets about 1500 calories a day (with Quest bar/milk for lunch) and it's pretty good, it's just not doing much.

Maybe if the T-25 plan isn't crazy expensive or hard to find ingredients for I can try it. Usually though they are based around meals that feed more than one person and I live alone, so having excess food and having to move on to the next meal the next day screws things up and gets expensive. It's generally easier for me to buy a 3 individual chicken breasts and 3 packs of veggies for dinners, etc. :p

Just remember, for the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat. The true tale of progress is in your reps/weights and measurements. So keep at it & don't get discouraged!

Can you outline your diet? Maybe we can make some recommendations for modifications to help you burn fat.

Diet is about as good as I want it to be (I don't eat any junk food ot anything). I don't have much weight to lose I don't think, so just having a whinge.

I have been taking photos each week and I think that is a big key. Without them to see I would be wondering what is going on.

izakq

Started the recovery week today. I'm now down to 211.4 lbs. Oh man, those arm exercises at the end nearly destroyed me. And I have to do this all week? Crazy, but bring it on.

So I see next week is the max stuff sessions that is going to start and the times are increased from the usual 40 min to 50-60 minutes. What is to be expected here? Should I be scared?

Gumbie

How many calories should I be taking in if I'm doing Focus T25 but not really wanting to lose weight? I'm mainly trying to lose some body fat and build muscle so once I go through the regular schedule I'll be switching over to the Gamma calender and then the Gamma strength hybrid calender.

Bollocks

I'll start Insanity again today(3rd time overall) but this time I think I'll start right with the second month.

Gonna be though but I don't have a choice, since I quit halfway through the second month the last time. I need that beach body, I only have 2 months left ._.

I just hope I don't injure myself by starting right with month 2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
NO DONUTS
Voooodooooo
Just remember, 85/15! As long as you do the "right" thing most of the time and keep working out, you should be fine. And you can hit the ground running when you get home & get back on track.
85/15 probably is rather a more Horton-friendly idea than 80/20 ;)

Day One of Focus T25: Alpha: Cardio complete!
OK this program is kinda brilliant, and I'm only in day one. I love the way the workout is structured, how it builds up the moves in complexity and intensity and then combines them. You get a few moments of active recovery here & there but there are no breaks in the 25 minutes. If you need a rest, follow Tanya who's doing low/non-impact modifications the whole time. My wife joined me this morning for the workout and we were both sweating buckets!

I think this is going to be Beachbody's most popular workout program. It's short -- everyone's got 25 minutes. And it'll work for all levels of fitness because of the modifications. And of course Shaun T is as motivational and charismatic as ever. Great stuff. Get it now!
I'm really interested in T25. I wish you could try it out somehow before buying. 25 minutes with no breaks sounds like an awesome contrast to P90X and maybe even like it could fit into a potential hybrid thing to keep it interesting.

So how do the "cycles" work? Does T25 have a longitudinal length like P90X's 90 days?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm really interested in T25. I wish you could try it out somehow before buying. 25 minutes with no breaks sounds like an awesome contrast to P90X and maybe even like it could fit into a potential hybrid thing to keep it interesting.

So how do the "cycles" work? Does T25 have a longitudinal length like P90X's 90 days?

There is a money-back guarantee, so you could always buy it, try it, then return it if it's not working out for you. Beachbody offers that on workout programs as well as Shakeology.

The base T25 has two phases, 25 days each: Alpha & Beta, 5 days per week for 5 weeks. Assuming you start on a Monday, you get Saturday off and you do an optional stretch video on Sundays.

There's an additional phase you can buy separately, the Gamma Phase, which is 4 weeks and is more focused on strength.

How many calories should I be taking in if I'm doing Focus T25 but not really wanting to lose weight? I'm mainly trying to lose some body fat and build muscle so once I go through the regular schedule I'll be switching over to the Gamma calender and then the Gamma strength hybrid calender.

Really depends what else you're doing. If you're also doing, say, strength training or running, you might need to eat more. If you're happy with your weight, you're just going to have to play with how much you need to eat without gaining or losing. If you have a heart rate monitor you can figure out how many calories you're burining with your T25 workouts, and track your food calories & adjust accordingly, but that's a bit of work.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How long do people thing it would take for T-25 to show up on Amazon?

Dunno, but if you order via a TeamBeachbody.com account you get a bonus workout, Core Speed, that you don't get otherwise. And there's free shipping through July 7th, so there's not much incentive to wait for Amazon at this time.

----

By the way, I finally activated my fitness page on Facebook! I'll be posting workout reviews, interesting nutritional articles I find, recipes, etc. Kinda light on content at the moment but I'll hopefully have something new posted daily or near enough.

Chris R

I originally wanted to order on Amazon for bonus points on my credit card, but in the future if I do purchase anything else BB related it will be on Amazon for ease of purchase. So many upsell pushes when I want to just order the one thing :< They also charged me tax for some reason (no local/state sales tax where I live).

Can't wait for this to arrive when it does in 2-3 weeks :D

gotoadgo

Started the recovery week today. I'm now down to 211.4 lbs. Oh man, those arm exercises at the end nearly destroyed me. And I have to do this all week? Crazy, but bring it on.

So I see next week is the max stuff sessions that is going to start and the times are increased from the usual 40 min to 50-60 minutes. What is to be expected here? Should I be scared?
You'll probably feel like you did at the start of the first month. It's a bit rough to begin with but you get used to it the same way you get used to the first set of workouts.

Menaged

Be thankful for this week :p
There's quite a difference between month 1 and two.
At first, for me, it was hell. I didn't manage to keep up at all and it really took the wind out of me.
But, as expected, a few days later things took a nice turn, and by week 2 I was feeling great and noticed a great improvment.

Bottom line - if you do end up feeling discouraged, don't worry, since it gets better.

gotoadgo

So my knees were hurting quite a bit from all the high impact stuff from insanity over the last few days and I just couldn't do it so I decided to go for an actual run instead. Seeing as I'm doing this for a Tough Mudder event as well I figured I needed to see how far I could go to see if I was on track to make it. Didn't hurt at all and managed to go for 9km without a single rest stop(was shooting for 10 but my round trip didn't work out to be 10, oh well). When I got back my quads were pretty sore but I wasn't tired and probably could have just kept on going. Feels pretty good seeing as I used to go for about 5km with breaks in there due to fatigue. Insanity works!

So my knees were hurting quite a bit from all the high impact stuff from insanity over the last few days and I just couldn't do it so I decided to go for an actual run instead. Seeing as I'm doing this for a Tough Mudder event as well I figured I needed to see how far I could go to see if I was on track to make it. Didn't hurt at all and managed to go for 9km without a single rest stop(was shooting for 10 but my round trip didn't work out to be 10, oh well). When I got back my quads were pretty sore but I wasn't tired and probably could have just kept on going. Feels pretty good seeing as I used to go for about 5km with breaks in there due to fatigue. Insanity works!

Wow! I'm in the same boat in that I'm trying Insanity to get fitter for different sports and reading this is pretty uplifting. What day are you on?

After you do it a couple of times and feel like you have the gist of it. Grab P90X2 Yoga off of a shattered dream on ebay or something, I personally think P90X2 Yoga is a whole lot better than the P90X version.

It is still 66 minutes but flows so much better that I really quite enjoy it. The One on One Fountain of Youth version also contains a lot of tips that made my form improve, although I think that workout isn't quite enough.

I'm actually doing this for Tough Mudder too in October in Sydney (at least that is one big motivator). I haven't got into running yet but I was almost exactly the same with hitting 5kms. I really hope I have similar results! But it is inspiring for now.

gotoadgo

coolcole93 said:
Wow! I'm in the same boat in that I'm trying Insanity to get fitter for different sports and reading this is pretty uplifting. What day are you on?
I'm on the last week now so I've been at it for a while.

I'm actually doing this for Tough Mudder too in October in Sydney (at least that is one big motivator). I haven't got into running yet but I was almost exactly the same with hitting 5kms. I really hope I have similar results! But it is inspiring for now.
Guess I'll see you there :p I'll be doing the same one hopefully on the Saturday.

Guess I'll see you there :p I'll be doing the same one hopefully on the Saturday.

Good stuff. I'm running early on the Sunday so try not to churn the track up too much :p I'm pretty confident about the distance, but I'm still worried about getting injured based on other shorter mud runs. I'm hoping P90X will at least get enough of my muscles used to working that I only pull some really obscure and unnecessary one climbing out of a mud pit or something.

gotoadgo

Good stuff. I'm running early on the Sunday so try not to churn the track up too much :p I'm pretty confident about the distance, but I'm still worried about getting injured based on other shorter mud runs. I'm hoping P90X will at least get enough of my muscles used to working that I only pull some really obscure and unnecessary one climbing out of a mud pit or something.
Yeh my plan is to hit P90X after I'm done too. I'm not so much worried about my muscles as I am the ice bath.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You Tough Mudder guys are nuts :) Sounds like preparations are going well for you though.

Today was Day Two of Focus T25: Alpha: Speed 1.0. This one was structured differently from Alpha: Cardio. I have a full review on my Facebook page. Overall a very cool workout! My endurance is definitely down after Body Beast, but I'm sure it'll pick back up in no time.

I also got my test results from my Insanity Certification exam -- I passed! I am now officially a certified Insanity instructor! Still waiting on the certificate itself, but I have everything I need to start teaching classes. I'm going to teach free classes once or twice a month at my Fit Club at work, and I'm hoping to find a local venue to start teaching paid classes sometime in the next couple months. I want to start a local Fit Club first. I'm hoping to meet with my local community center administrators mid-month to get all that set up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My calves are dead from workout 1 (cardio) of T-25. I really like the structure though. Start with a base move, then add a medium part to it, then another hard part to it for the full move. Also you don't repeat moves 3-4 times so I was never bored.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
My calves are dead from workout 1 (cardio) of T-25. I really like the structure though. Start with a base move, then add a medium part to it, then another hard part to it for the full move. Also you don't repeat moves 3-4 times so I was never bored.

I know, right? I was the same way when I did Cardio on Saturday. They were a lot better after the "real" Cardio yesterday, though.

You'll love Speed 1.0.

Top Bottom