• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How do you go without the supplements and such? Can you just eat normally and have it worth your time?

Supplements are an absolute must have if you want to have extreme results. While doing P90X, Body Beast, or pretty much anything else, you are required to eat insane amounts of protein and in some cases carbs if you want to pack some muscle and get bigger. Some people might be able to meet their macronutrients for the day from only regular food, but they have to eat truckloads of it.

Me for example, I had to eat like 290g of protein to maintain weight. That would be simply impossible to achieve for me without the help of protein powders, which pack 30g of protein in one glass and take less than 2 minutes to finish.

Me for example, I had to eat like 290g of protein to maintain weight. That would be simply impossible to achieve for me without the help of protein powders, which pack 30g of protein in one glass and take less than 2 minutes to finish.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean by maintain weight?

My understanding is the supplements will help you build muscle and without them you'll get limited results. Is that about it? Whenever I have looked into it like with P90X, it just seems to get really expensive really fast.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean by maintain weight?

My understanding is the supplements will help you build muscle and without them you'll get limited results. Is that about it? Whenever I have looked into it like with P90X, it just seems to get really expensive really fast.

Mantain weight would be to keep my same weight, but drop body fat percentage, meaning that you'll be bigger and the muscles will be more defined.

With P90X, as opposed to other body building routines, you don't need that much in terms of supplements. You'd probably be ok with a tub of protein powder and some protein bars for the month.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I really enjoyed the first week of T25. I have two main criticisms; one is about the general programming and the other concerns one move I'm struggling with.

Generally, I don't think there is enough floor/arm work! Some of the work outs don't have any work focusing on the arms at all and the heavy amount of squats in every workout led to a small muscle strain in my right hammy.

On a personal level, I really don't like the Up and Over move because I'm struggling with the rhythm. It's a very dance-y move and a huge section of the lower focus is derived off of the Up and Over as a base.

Overall, I'm excited about the program and believe the results will be as good as I got with Insanity. It's a nice change of pace and the new female models aren't bad too look at.

Remember that Alpha is all about the foundation, your connection to the ground. Total Body Circuit does have work for your shoulders & chest (jabs, hooks, push-ups), but it's mostly legs & core. So make the most of it -- try to go deep into those lunges & squats & get your form as tight as possible. Beta phase is more about Core, but the Upper Body Focus adds resistance training with dumbbells or resistance bands. And of course Gamma is all about strength training. So it's coming!

And yeah the agility stuff is tough! But keep at it, and you'll get more coordinated.

Steve, did you ever do a review of your time with Body Beast?

Steelo, did you see good results with it (I think I remember reading about you doing it).

I've been thinking about getting it for a while now, and doing it after I finish Insanity.

I gained very little weight, but I got a lot stronger and gained some muscle definition.. It was very difficult for me to eat as much as I was "supposed" to in the Build & Bulk phases, and I didn't want to add too much body fat. So I'm happy enough -- I just think I'm a hard gainer.

I also felt like my stamina suffered. Body Beast is a great program and I'll do it again, but I think I'll do a hybrid with T25 after I've finished a full round of all three T25 phases. I am planning on doing at least one Body Beast workout per week during my first T25 round though.

Going into the final week of Insanity. It's been a pretty awesome experience so far, and I've made some pretty decent gains.

But since I'm approaching the end, I'm wondering what I should do next. I think I'd like to do Insanity again, but should i start back at month 1 again or just redo month 2? Should I take another rest week again before going ham again?

I'd do the recovery week again (not a rest week) and then do T25. It's awesome. Unless you absolutely nailed the Month 2 workouts, I wouldn't dive right into Asylum, it's tough. I think T25 is a better transition to Asylum than Insanity is.

T25 in, it starts tomorrow!

Excellent!

If any T25ers out there haven't signed on to teambeachbody.com and are interested in joining a very active & fun Facebook group of people also doing T25, sign up here and then send me a private message and I'll get you hooked up. It's a great way to post about your workout experiences, get support & encouragement, and cheer others on.

I had to quit Insanity 5 weeks in (right in the start of Month 2) due to knee pain. :( I miss it so much and I feel like a lame fat slob now that I'm not doing it. I can't do it right now anyway because it's Ramadan, but I'm wondering if I maybe had the wrong shoes? I'm young and healthy and I was usually doing it in a carpeted area with running shoes on (as opposed to cross-training shoes I guess). The last week I was doing it I had to do it on a hard gym floor, could that have been the issue? I feel like the carpet absorbed a lot of the impact. I thought I was going to have knee problems throughout but whenever my knee would hurt a little the feeling would usually go away when I got warmed up or after a few days. But this last time I was jumping to warm up and I could feel every single hop in my knee and it scared me. :( The feeling persisted for maybe a few days to a week afterward. I don't want to injure myself, but every time I see those Insanity DVDs on my shelf I miss it and how in-shape I was. Should I give it a shot again later with different shoes? Or should I not risk it?

Gaf, im overweight and unfit. What is the beginner course from beachbody. I have heard its p90 . Is there anything better for complete beginners?

My main purpose is to lose weight more than anything else

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Gaf, im overweight and unfit. What is the beginner course from beachbody. I have heard its p90 . Is there anything better for complete beginners?

P90 would be the "easiest" of the main BB workouts. P90X would also be a good starting point. It will be hard as hell, but you can always modify the moves you see to something that's easier for you to do (like using resistance bands instead of doing full pull-ups, or going to your knees until you are able to to regular push-ups).

Whatever program you choose, just stick with it and do your best and you'll definitely see results. Don't forget that diet is also a huge part of the program (probably 60 or 70% of the results will come out of it), so you need to be prepared to make some serious changes in the way you eat.

I would get p90x but i have nowhere to place the pull up bar and my rental place does not allow me to put up things like that . Is it good to start from power 90 and then graduate to insanity as the next step?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I had to quit Insanity 5 weeks in (right in the start of Month 2) due to knee pain. :( I miss it so much and I feel like a lame fat slob now that I'm not doing it. I can't do it right now anyway because it's Ramadan, but I'm wondering if I maybe had the wrong shoes? I'm young and healthy and I was usually doing it in a carpeted area with running shoes on (as opposed to cross-training shoes I guess). The last week I was doing it I had to do it on a hard gym floor, could that have been the issue? I feel like the carpet absorbed a lot of the impact. I thought I was going to have knee problems throughout but whenever my knee would hurt a little the feeling would usually go away when I got warmed up or after a few days. But this last time I was jumping to warm up and I could feel every single hop in my knee and it scared me. :( The feeling persisted for maybe a few days to a week afterward. I don't want to injure myself, but every time I see those Insanity DVDs on my shelf I miss it and how in-shape I was. Should I give it a shot again later with different shoes? Or should I not risk it?

Shoes & flooring can definitely make a big difference. I have a 10'x12' workout area that's carpet covered with 1/2" foam puzzle mats, and I use cross training shoes.

But another thing that can lead to knee pain/injury is improper form. You need to absorb the shock when you land by landing toe-ball-heel-knee bend, and you need to keep your knees in-line with your feet -- you don't want to buckle your knees inward or outward during high impact moves, lunges or squats. If your toes are pointed outward, your knees should track outward. If your toes are pointed forward, your knees should track forward.

With Insanity it's easy to let your form slip, because it's exhausting and you want to keep pushing. But if you do feel your form slipping, it's important to modify, something they don't really talk about much in Insanity videos. Modify in phases -- 1. Slow down. 2. Decrease the range of motion. 3. Eliminate the high impact. But above all you want your form to be as good as you can make it.

Echoing SteeloDMZ, P90 or P90X are kind of the "gateway" to fitness for a lot of people, and nutrition is key. If you can commit, stick with the workouts, stick to a proper diet, and keep going, you will be successful. Beachbody offers a lot of tools to help you do this, beyond just the workout program itself. They have meal plans, tips & tricks on the teambeachbody.com website, message boards filled with others going through the workout programs, and coaches (like me), who are Beachbody customers who went through the video programs just like you, and are there to help you with motivation & support along the way.

I started out with Power90 myself 18 months ago and it certainly worked for me.

I would get p90x but i have nowhere to place the pull up bar and my rental place does not allow me to put up things like that . Is it good to start from power 90 and then graduate to insanity as the next step?

That's what I did. FocusT25 is an excellent alternative. I'm a week in and it's amazing.

Shoes & flooring can definitely make a big difference. I have a 10'x12' workout area that's carpet covered with 1/2" foam puzzle mats, and I use cross training shoes.

But another thing that can lead to knee pain/injury is improper form. You need to absorb the shock when you land by landing toe-ball-heel-knee bend, and you need to keep your knees in-line with your feet -- you don't want to buckle your knees inward or outward during high impact moves, lunges or squats. If your toes are pointed outward, your knees should track outward. If your toes are pointed forward, your knees should track forward.

With Insanity it's easy to let your form slip, because it's exhausting and you want to keep pushing. But if you do feel your form slipping, it's important to modify, something they don't really talk about much in Insanity videos. Modify in phases -- 1. Slow down. 2. Decrease the range of motion. 3. Eliminate the high impact. But above all you want your form to be as good as you can make it.

Echoing SteeloDMZ, P90 or P90X are kind of the "gateway" to fitness for a lot of people, and nutrition is key. If you can commit, stick with the workouts, stick to a proper diet, and keep going, you will be successful. Beachbody offers a lot of tools to help you do this, beyond just the workout program itself. They have meal plans, tips & tricks on the teambeachbody.com website, message boards filled with others going through the workout programs, and coaches (like me), who are Beachbody customers who went through the video programs just like you, and are there to help you with motivation & support along the way.

I started out with Power90 myself 18 months ago and it certainly worked for me.

That's what I did. FocusT25 is an excellent alternative. I'm a week in and it's amazing.

I've always been terrified of hurting my knees so I tried to keep my knees soft and never let them go above my toe, but I wonder if I had my toes facing the wrong way? I always felt it the most during things like jumping jacks or jump rope where you're just jumping on your toes/the balls of your feet. Could this be an issue? :eek:

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've always been terrified of hurting my knees so I tried to keep my knees soft and never let them go above my toe, but I wonder if I had my toes facing the wrong way? I always felt it the most during things like jumping jacks or jump rope where you're just jumping on your toes/the balls of your feet. Could this be an issue? :eek:

It's possible. You could practice doing the moves in slow motion or video yourself doing them & pay close attention to what your legs & knees are doing.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

You can use resistance bands instead of a pull-up bar. They will be easier to do than pull-ups but still give you a solid workout, and they are really cheap.

Coming to the end of month 1 of Insanity! Only 4 days left until my recovery week
AU7Amsc.gif
. But I dunno who said the workouts were meant to get easier as month 1 wore on. I'm still just as fucked at the end of it all as I was in the first week. I guess that's because I'm still working just as hard but getting more done.

How scared should I be about month 2?

gotoadgo

Coming to the end of month 1 of Insanity! Only 4 days left until my recovery week
AU7Amsc.gif
. But I dunno who said the workouts were meant to get easier as month 1 wore on. I'm still just as fucked at the end of it all as I was in the first week. I guess that's because I'm still working just as hard but getting more done.

Remember how you felt the first week? Like, how tired you were? That.

AU7Amsc.gif

The moves aren't tremoundoulsy harder or anything like that. Everything is literally longer though.

Razorskin

----- ------
Had those Quest peanut butter cups, didn't like them all that much, the filling was all powdery. Not going to touch the bars till tomorrow.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The Body Beast standalone workout "Lucky 7" is now available separately for $19.95

This is a pretty cool workout. It's under 25 minutes. You can do it with either an EZ curl bar & plates or dumbbells. It consists of 7 Combo Sets, each comprised of 2 or 3 moves you do in combination in a pyramid structure -- first you do one rep, then two, etc. on up to 7 reps.

The moves are:
EZ Push-Up + Clean + Squat
Dead Lift + Bent Over Row
Skull Crusher + Press + Crunch
Curl + Military Press + EZ Squat
Delt Raise + Reverse Lunge
Lat Oblique Twist
Upright Row + Calf Raise

This is a great standalone workout. If you have access to the weights, it's a good addition to a program like Insanity where you don't really do any strength training.

Here's a video of a guy doing it & his review. I've done this once, and my weights were a bit low for me but I'm planning to do it often during Focus T25.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The Body Beast standalone workout "Lucky 7" is now available separately for $19.95

This is a pretty cool workout. It's under 25 minutes. You can do it with either an EZ curl bar & plates or dumbbells. It consists of 7 Combo Sets, each comprised of 2 or 3 moves you do in combination in a pyramid structure -- first you do one rep, then two, etc. on up to 7 reps.

The moves are:
EZ Push-Up + Clean + Squat
Dead Lift + Bent Over Row
Skull Crusher + Press + Crunch
Curl + Military Press + EZ Squat
Delt Raise + Reverse Lunge
Lat Oblique Twist
Upright Row + Calf Raise

This is a great standalone workout. If you have access to the weights, it's a good addition to a program like Insanity where you don't really do any strength training.

Here's a video of a guy doing it & his review. I've done this once, and my weights were a bit low for me but I'm planning to do it often during Focus T25.

So I can switch out body beast total body with this one?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So I can switch out body beast total body with this one?

I think you could... My plan for T25 is to cycle between Lucky 7, Total Body and Yoga X2 on Saturdays, which is normally a rest day. It's especially handy if you're short on time. But I think you can lift much heavier weights in Total Body so it's probably better to mix them up.

Odinson

Started Asylum 2 this week. I've only done X-trainer, Upper elite, and Power Legs. So far I'm loving this much more than asylum 1 or insanity. I don't feel as worn out afterwards, but still a sweaty mess. Body is sore but I'm really digging this program so far. Back & 6-pack today.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, some of the T25 workouts are just too dance-y. Hopefully it's just a learning curve.

Certainly is testing my footwork. Especially in Speed 1.0. I just can't get the rhythm. Doesn't feel like dancing, more just a pace to each move. :p

As mentioned in the T-25 thread I'm doing fasting while doing T-25. Two days a week of 24 hour fasts. Today is one of those days. Should be an interesting workout tonight before I eat for the first time today.

I just hope fasting + T-25 will help me drop 10-15 lbs.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So, some of the T25 workouts are just too dance-y. Hopefully it's just a learning curve.

Shaun T's sneaking in some dance-type moves, particularly in Speed 1.0. It's OK though, it's all about building up your agility & speed. And maybe a little coordination too.

Personally I like that the "full" pace of the moves in Speed 1.0 are in time with the music. It's a good target pace and the rhythm helps (me anyway) with form.

Supplements are an absolute must have if you want to have extreme results. While doing P90X, Body Beast, or pretty much anything else, you are required to eat insane amounts of protein and in some cases carbs if you want to pack some muscle and get bigger. Some people might be able to meet their macronutrients for the day from only regular food, but they have to eat truckloads of it.

Speaking of supplements....what would be ideal supplements for P90x/X2???? I supplement with multivitamins, fish oil, and whey protein.

Shaun T's sneaking in some dance-type moves, particularly in Speed 1.0. It's OK though, it's all about building up your agility & speed. And maybe a little coordination too.

Personally I like that the "full" pace of the moves in Speed 1.0 are in time with the music. It's a good target pace and the rhythm helps (me anyway) with form.

Definitely feel it in Speed 1.0, also in the bonus DVD. Just a little frustration, I'll get the moves down. Coming off Body Beast probably doesn't help any.

Chris R

Speaking of the bonus DVD, what exactly do I need to do to get it?

And the Cardio workout was great, nice and sweaty after I was done with it last night.

effzee

Ok so I have been going to the gym for a pretty consistent 6 year stretch now. I have seen results, I like the way I look, but considering the time I have put in I don't have the best results.

I have definition on my arms, chest, and shoulders, but also no abs and weak legs due to years of neglect of leg workouts.

I want to switch things up. I started intermittent fasting, saw some positive results, but I also want to be able to transform my body more fully. Currently I am fasting for Ramadan, which will end by August 8th. After that looking into maybe possibly trying out P90X.

I live in a house but have limited flood space. The whole house is carpeted. I don't have any workout equipment at home. What will I need? Can I do it at home? Better off sticking with the gym but switching to a completely new lifting regimen?

Appreciate the advice in advance.

My stats I guess: Height 5'7, currently weigh 160, and have no clue what my body fat % is. Can bench 200 pounds but on the other hand super weak on squats.

Korosenai

Almost finished with week 1 month 2 of Insanity. Loving it so far, though theres only one problem.... Im hungry. All the time. These new workouts are awesome, but my bodies wanting food and lots of it.

I have definition on my arms, chest, and shoulders, but also no abs and weak legs due to years of neglect of leg workouts.

P90X will be good for abs and legs. At least it'll get you moving in the right direction.

You only really need enough space for a yoga mat. You will need a pullup bar and weights or bands, with weights being the tricky part because they are expensive and you'll keep getting better.

Personally I put the workouts on my phone and take them to the gym for those sessions.

TwiztidElf

Thinking of mixing up T25 with Body Beast.
Thing is, with the timing of my days, it seems like I'll be doing Body Beast at lunchtime and T25 in the evening.

Anyone in the know have any comments about this? Strength at lunchtime, cardio in the evening? Is this ok? Or should I switch it to cardio at lunch and strength in the evening? Or does it even matter?

Btw: Someone please add me as a GAF grad of: P90, P90X, Insanity, and Body Beast. Thx.

effzee

P90X will be good for abs and legs. At least it'll get you moving in the right direction.

You only really need enough space for a yoga mat. You will need a pullup bar and weights or bands, with weights being the tricky part because they are expensive and you'll keep getting better.

Personally I put the workouts on my phone and take them to the gym for those sessions.

Thanks!

Are pull ups bars available for all house types? I just can't imagine my house taking the bar well. Built in the 1930s. I''ll stop by sports authority one of these days and see what they offer.

Thanks!

Are pull ups bars available for all house types? I just can't imagine my house taking the bar well. Built in the 1930s. I''ll stop by sports authority one of these days and see what they offer.

Yeah most of the ones you buy fit onto a standard doorway.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sweet Jesus T25 total body kicked my ass. Wow.

Abs tomorrow, but it's Saturday I'm worried about. Day 5 you have two workouts... How am I going to make that.

COME ON Y'ALL LET'S GOOOOOOOO

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Speaking of the bonus DVD, what exactly do I need to do to get it?

And the Cardio workout was great, nice and sweaty after I was done with it last night.

You get bonus workouts free if you order a program like T25 through a coach, which basically means signing up to teambeachbody.com and ordering from there. Often Beachbody will eventually sell them separately, like they just started with Lucky 7 from Body Beast.

If you just go to the site & sign up, you'll randomly be assigned a coach, but if you follow this link & sign up you'll sign up with me as your coach.

Razorskin

----- ------
Not crazy about the Quest bars either, I'll heat it up and have it with a glass of milk next time.

Woo Shoulders & arms today, love it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
FocusT25 Week 2 Day 5 is a double day and what a combination: Alpha: Lower Focus (oy my quads) and Alpha: Ab Intervals (oy my abs & hip flexors). This is one tough hour of hard work. I'd put Lower Focus up there with the Body Beast leg routines, assuming you do full range of motion & proper form on your lunges & squats, and Ab Intervals is easily a match for Ab Ripper X/Ab Ripper X2, if not tougher (because it's much longer). Great stuff.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Steve, I am doing day 4 tonight (missed Wednesday) so I was debating doing two workouts tonight (Abs and Lower) then cardio tomorrow. Is this doable? I'm supposed to do abs tonight, then lower/cardio tomorrow, but have a friend visiting so I just want to show off cardio.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Steve, I am doing day 4 tonight (missed Wednesday) so I was debating doing two workouts tonight (Abs and Lower) then cardio tomorrow. Is this doable? I'm supposed to do abs tonight, then lower/cardio tomorrow, but have a friend visiting so I just want to show off cardio.

Sure, don't see why not. It's a tough combination but you've done a lot of other workouts so you should be fine. Wiped out by the end, but fine :)

izakq

Quick question on weight gains for Insanity (yeah I know I shouldn't focus too much on it). Have any of you guys lost weight at the beginning stages and then start to gain some of it back during the Max portion of the workout. I'm on the first week of month 2, and I'm going up from 210 to 212 in a week. Now I admit that last week's 4th of July festivities didn't help.

With this being focused on cardio and not strength, potentially how much muscle can you gain from the Insanity workouts?

Top Bottom