• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
FYI, Beachbody has some special deals going on through the end of August. THREE Challenge Packs (workout plus Shakeology with free shipping) are on sale:

Focus T25 (Alpha + Beta) is on sale for $180. They continued this from last month. This is about a $90 savings depending on how much shipping costs you.

Body Beast (with Shakeology) is on sale for $160. This is roughly an $80 savings. Note that the Body Beast challenge pack with the "Hardcore" supplements (30 day supplies of Base Shake, Fuel Shot, MAX Creatine, and Super Suma) is still at its regular price of $220.

Turbo Fire is also on sale for $160. This is about a $70 savings.

Also Fuel Shot, a pre-workout drink, is currently buy one, get one free.

I guess they figure it's a slow time of year :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
For those of you who have done Body Beast, I have a question. One of the main reasons I work out is because I like to stay in basketball shape. Insanity and P90x2 have done wonders for my endurance, core, and flexibility. That said, I get bodied in the paint a lot because I'm a skinny guy, thus wanting to move on to Body Beast.

I'm going to start the program in week and a half and wanted to ask about incorporating X2 Yoga into the routine. I basically want to keep the flexibility gains from yoga while adding strength gains from Body Beast. Do you see any reason why I wouldn't be able to do X2 Yoga once or twice a week? If not, any recommendations on a particular day of the week or after a certain work out, to do X2 Yoga?

That would be the best thing to do. If you only lift weights like in programs such as BB, you'll definitely lose stamina, flexibility and endurance. Doing Yoga when you have the chance will help you stay flexible.

Miutsu

So, i'm still hunting down the equipment I need to start working out, but I'm still undecided if I should go with p90 or p90X :( I'm completely out of shape at around 100kg / 220lb, what would you recommend for me? I would like to start p90x instead but I'm afraid I might injury myself or something because of the weight.

izakq

For Focus T-25, I didn't get the Gamma portion of it and really didn't research it much. What are the reasons to buy/not buy it?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For Focus T-25, I didn't get the Gamma portion of it and really didn't research it much. What are the reasons to buy/not buy it?

It's just another month after you get done with the main program. Higher intensity yet and more workouts. If you like T-25 it'd be worth getting to keep going.

Also I must have that Shaun T shirt HP posted.

yogloo

So, i'm still hunting down the equipment I need to start working out, but I'm still undecided if I should go with p90 or p90X :( I'm completely out of shape at around 100kg / 220lb, what would you recommend for me? I would like to start p90x instead but I'm afraid I might injury myself or something because of the weight.

I think you can do p90x, but take it slow and modify the moves.

A question and a request for the p90x grads. How did you do on the yoga at the end of the 90 days?
Can you keep up with Tony and Co?

Can you guys post the day 1 vs 30 vs 60 vs 90 rep numbers?
It would be interesting to know how well you guys progressed during the whole thing.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

P90 is a good introduction. It's what I started with last year. As far as injuring yourself, the important thing is to really focus on your form -- watch very carefully what the trainers are doing in the video, listen to their cues, and try to have good form all the time. If you can't keep good form you can slow the move down, or decrease the range of motion. Most injuries occur because of improper form.

Alpha is all about your foundation -- lots of work on your legs, your endurance, speed & agility, and a bit of work on your core.

Beta is all about your core -- there is strength work with weights or bands, and there is cardio work, but every routine either revolves around or includes a lot of work on your core -- abs, obliques, back, hip flexors, etc.

Gamma is all about strength. Weights are used in almost all of the workouts. The Gamma phase is designed to be four weeks (as opposed to five each for Alpha and Beta). You can either do a "Pure Gamma" schedule, consisting only of the four Gamma routines, or a hybrid that includes workouts from the Alpha and Beta phases along with the Gamma workouts (which is what I'm going to do).

FOOTE

A question and a request for the p90x grads. How did you do on the yoga at the end of the 90 days?

It would be interesting to know how well you guys progressed during the whole thing.
Yoga is tough but I was always able to keep up, everyone has their strengths and that was one for me.

Rep numbers? I can only give general numbers at this point. When I first started this stuff years ago, I paced myself for 20 push ups and 5 to 7 pull ups on chest and back. Now if I do that workout I'm pacing for 35 to 45 push ups and 20 pull ups. I don't know how typical that is but that's how I've progressed.

izakq

The Gamma phase is designed to be four weeks (as opposed to five each for Alpha and Beta). You can either do a "Pure Gamma" schedule, consisting only of the four Gamma routines, or a hybrid that includes workouts from the Alpha and Beta phases along with the Gamma workouts (which is what I'm going to do).

Is this hybrid routine something that you yourself come up with, gives you a laid out plan or gives you suggestions in coming up with one?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is this hybrid routine something that you yourself come up with, gives you a laid out plan or gives you suggestions in coming up with one?

Gamma comes with a workout schedule sheet/poster that has the pure gamma on one side, and the hybrid on the other.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If you're "completely" out of shape, do P90. It's a great intro to daily exercise, and I was glad I did it before P90X. Fitness is a life-long undertaking; no need to rush into the more advanced programs right away.

And watch Tony's chat on USTREAM tonight for some extra motivation!

Miutsu

P90 is a good introduction. It's what I started with last year. As far as injuring yourself, the important thing is to really focus on your form -- watch very carefully what the trainers are doing in the video, listen to their cues, and try to have good form all the time. If you can't keep good form you can slow the move down, or decrease the range of motion. Most injuries occur because of improper form.

If you're "completely" out of shape, do P90. It's a great intro to daily exercise, and I was glad I did it before P90X. Fitness is a life-long undertaking; no need to rush into the more advanced programs right away.

And watch Tony's chat on USTREAM tonight for some extra motivation!

I hear you out :) thanks a lot for the advise both of you, I will reach a decision soon but I'll gladly take the advise of keeping a good form and slowing down a little if I can't keep up with the pace (which I know I definitely won't at the beginning, specially if I go with p90x).

Edit: Ok, I think P90 won this round, you are right that this is not something that I should rush to and I'll have plenty of time for the other programs after I finish p90, I know inside of my I wish I was ripped yesterday but I need to take my time with it, even more when this is something that should stick and not something I will leave aside when I finish one of the programs, so thanks a lot!

Miutsu

Another question, as I mentioned before, before I start this I'm pretty overweight, my short term goal is to lose some (a lot) of that weight but long term I want to look good with a middle build (some bulk here and there) and not just skinny fat or skinny tonned.

With that in consideration, would you recommend me to take something after workouts? I'm getting very little carbs with my diet so would something like a shake/drink/banana be recommended even though I want to lose weight and is not part of my diet?

I know this is all a long road but I wanna make sure I'm taking the right steps :)

Razorskin

----- ------
Another question, as I mentioned before, before I start this I'm pretty overweight, my short term goal is to lose some (a lot) of that weight but long term I want to look good with a middle build (some bulk here and there) and not just skinny fat or skinny tonned.

With that in consideration, would you recommend me to take something after workouts? I'm getting very little carbs with my diet so would something like a shake/drink/banana be recommended even though I want to lose weight and is not part of my diet?

I know this is all a long road but I wanna make sure I'm taking the right steps :)

You should always have a protein shake after a vigorous workout for recovery,

I struggled at the start to keep up, but by the end I was going fine and always "adding a pushup" and holding a crane. The warrior 3 type moves still got me though so that is a work in progress.

I also still can't touch my toes.

In terms of numbers?
Unassisted Chin-ups 0 to 25
Unassisted Pullups 0 to 15

(For legs and back was up to 110 or so total at the end)

Pushups 10 to 25
Plyo Pushups 0 to 10

And so on. You will get a lot better.

Codernaut

Banned
Okay, thanks to you guys I just ordered all of T25 including the Gamma phase. It's gonna be here in just 3-4 days. Wish me luck people, I've never been athletic in my entire life.

By the way, I will not be using the resistance bands, I'll just buy a bunch of dumbbells. Do you think 10 lbs as a start will be enough for a guy who never did any weights before or should I go higher?

Still awaiting a reply...

Okay, thanks to you guys I just ordered all of T25 including the Gamma phase. It's gonna be here in just 3-4 days. Wish me luck people, I've never been athletic in my entire life.

By the way, I will not be using the resistance bands, I'll just buy a bunch of dumbbells. Do you think 10 lbs as a start will be enough for a guy who never did any weights before or should I go higher?

Hard to say. I'd suggest going to a sports store and trying out a few basic moves with various dumbbells to give you an idea. And you'll want a variety of weights, like 10, 15, 20 for example. You have a couple months before you'll need any weights in T25 so you can spread out your purchase. Dumb dumbbells aren't cheap. It's a good investment though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"She climbed the seven summits, and skied them — SHUT UP and get to work."

These chats are always chock full of great Tony quotes

SteeloDMZ

Banned
A few moves from P90X3 were showcased in that chat. Based on what I saw, I believe X3 will be a fusion of 1 & 2 but without the extra equipment that X2 took some flack for.

The elevator push-ups and mule kicks, crunch, balance look hard as fuck.

vatstep

I can't even imagine how pathetic I would look doing the mule kicks. Maybe I'll try them out tomorrow.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I missed the mule kicks! Was watching the stream up to when they were doing spider-man squat twist jumps, then dinner was ready. Can you describe them & what else they did after?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I missed the mule kicks! Was watching the stream up to when they were doing spider-man squat twist jumps, then dinner was ready. Can you describe them & what else they did after?

There was a variation of the swimmer push-ups, a superman punch move, banana/crunch boat and 1 finger push-ups.

tmarques

Body Beast arrived a couple of days ago and I'm trying to get acquainted with the workouts before officially starting but some things are a bit confusing for me. I wish the books that come with these workouts were fleshed out a little when it comes to the theory.

Probably a stupid question, bear with me -

When it comes to progressive sets, drop sets and the like, is there any rule regarding how much to increase or decrease from set to set? Is it ok if the weights are somewhat similar in weight (5lb increments for instance)? I noticed that sometimes they seem to start with ridiculously light weights, like 10lbs, which are easy even for me, and end up with weights I wouldn't be able to lift if my life depended on it. So for me to follow that kind of progression - relatively speaking, of course - I'd have to start with even lighter weights which seems like a waste of time. I hope I'm making sense.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
There's no set rule but you should be lifting at least 5 pounds more than the previous set.

It really depends on the muscle you are working on though. It's way easier to increase 15 pounds for a back exercise than the same amount for a bicep move.

Tash

FYI, Beachbody has some special deals going on through the end of August. THREE Challenge Packs (workout plus Shakeology with free shipping) are on sale:

Focus T25 (Alpha + Beta) is on sale for $180. They continued this from last month. This is about a $90 savings depending on how much shipping costs you.

Body Beast (with Shakeology) is on sale for $160. This is roughly an $80 savings. Note that the Body Beast challenge pack with the "Hardcore" supplements (30 day supplies of Base Shake, Fuel Shot, MAX Creatine, and Super Suma) is still at its regular price of $220.

Turbo Fire is also on sale for $160. This is about a $70 savings.

Also Fuel Shot, a pre-workout drink, is currently buy one, get one free.

I guess they figure it's a slow time of year :)

FFS, I seriously wish they would bring the supplements to Europe too. I really want to try Shakeology :(

I would go with P90X anyway. It's a much better complete and full health workout than P90. Take it slow, start with whatever you can do. Modify and take rests. Do your best and forget the rest really defines that program :) Just do give you an idea: due to health issues I was hardly able to do any push-ups. Forget about Pull-ups. Had hardly any flexibility and started with 0.5 kg dumb bells (yup!). I just did whatever I could and ended up with amazing results. I wasn't overweight, more on the skinny side so my journey was different but I am trying to say that you can modify P90X to your needs without problems and as long as you keep pushing and eat healthy you WILL get amazing results :)

Funny story with YogaX. I was looking forward to some breathing and relaxing stuff when I first put the DvD into the player..boy..I don't think I ever swore more during a workout than that time. I hated it..I literally said "Screw you" towards the screen several times during the routines and started to burst into a laugh when I saw Crane..
I eventually developed a Love/Hate relationship with YogaX: I love it before and after for what it has done to me and my health and I hate it during (some things anyway) but it's hands down the best thing that ever happened to me and my health.
I think I posted it before but here some before and after videos involving YogaX:

Numbers before:
Crane 0 seconds
Was hardly able to touch my toes and struggled through all the leg raises and balance postures
Wasn't able to do any push-ups in between
That under arm hold thingie (side angle something?) 1 second maybe?

After:
Crane for over 20 seconds
started to use a yoga block to add distance to my stretches
Doing push-ups in between with the rest of the group
The under arm hold thingie. Staying with the group for the whole duration

Yoga Video thingie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-y9nHRrxLQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYi3Cq-bvloXBHBARLLfjpA

General before and after thingie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncjNBeu0Gk0&hd=1

Oh, and Total Body PLUS Lower Focus just killed me.

Haha yeah, double day is rough but it fells great afterwards :)
I plan to update my blog once I have me website back up and add T25 to my video section and write about it as well. I love the workouts to bits and I've done almost all BB workouts. It's definitely my fav of Shaun's.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
FFS, I seriously wish they would bring the supplements to Europe too. I really want to try Shakeology :(

I know they're trying to get it into other countries outside the US and Canada (coaching, too!) but the impression I get is that the regulations and customs on importing supplements vary a lot and are pretty strict, so it may be a while but they're definitely working on it!

Tash

I know they're trying to get it into other countries outside the US and Canada (coaching, too!) but the impression I get is that the regulations and customs on importing supplements vary a lot and are pretty strict, so it may be a while but they're definitely working on it!

Yeah I know. The official word right now is that it's hard due to Food and Health regulations.
I was considering asking a US Coach to send me some samples but it's too much of a hassle. I did it with a friend for the R&R Formula but it was always a huge fuss (I miss that stuff though..it's so awesome).

Stampy

A few moves from P90X3 were showcased in that chat. Based on what I saw, I believe X3 will be a fusion of 1 & 2 but without the extra equipment that X2 took some flack for.

Hmm, I am somehow sceptical that they will just abandon the equipment introduced in P90X2. For example, Tony has spoken so much praise about rumble roller that it would seem really weird to suddenly drop the myofascial release segment of his workouts and just replace it with stretching. I believe they will have multiple options in videos, and maybe rumble roller will not be as strongly accentuated, but it will still be present in those parts of workout where it is needed.

As for medicine balls, I also don’t think they will drop those. In one of the chats Tony even pointed out that they have created a whole workout based just on medicine balls. Since this wasn’t released as a separate workout after P90X2, which could have been inferred, there are really high chances this will appear in P90X3.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah I know. The official word right now is that it's hard due to Food and Health regulations.
I was considering asking a US Coach to send me some samples but it's too much of a hassle. I did it with a friend for the R&R Formula but it was always a huge fuss (I miss that stuff though..it's so awesome).

I'd be happy to send you some, what sort of hassle can I expect though?

Tash

I'd be happy to send you some, what sort of hassle can I expect though?

Well you have to order and repack then send it to me :/ That always felt like a hassle for me to ask someone to do that.
We have to figure out how much costs the shipping is. Toll we can dodge if you label it as a gift :)

Hmm, I am somehow sceptical that they will just abandon the equipment introduced in P90X2. For example, Tony has spoken so much praise about rumble roller that it would seem really weird to suddenly drop the myofascial release segment of his workouts and just replace it with stretching. I believe they will have multiple options in videos, and maybe rumble roller will not be as strongly accentuated, but it will still be present in those parts of workout where it is needed.

As for medicine balls, I also don’t think they will drop those. In one of the chats Tony even pointed out that they have created a whole workout based just on medicine balls. Since this wasn’t released as a separate workout after P90X2, which could have been inferred, there are really high chances this will appear in P90X3.

I don't mind a ball workout... So to speak. What put me off P90X2 was the mix of equipment. If I can do ball work at home and just weights and pullups at the gym on a different day I'm happy.

Well you have to order and repack then send it to me :/ That always felt like a hassle for me to ask someone to do that.
We have to figure out how much costs the shipping is. Toll we can dodge if you label it as a gift :)

Can't you just use the non-union mexican equivalent?

Tash

I don't mind a ball workout... So to speak. What put me off P90X2 was the mix of equipment. If I can do ball work at home and just weights and pullups at the gym on a different day I'm happy.

Can't you just use the non-union mexican equivalent?

I totally agree, the equipment you need for P90X2 was a bit annoying. I got all the stuff though and still didn't get around to fully graduate it..didn't have enough room at our old place. On the other hand I love the idea of foam rolling and wished there was a bit more information throughout P90X2.

Not sure what you mean by the non-union mexican equivalent :)

Codernaut

Banned
I plan to update my blog once I have me website back up and add T25 to my video section and write about it as well. I love the workouts to bits and I've done almost all BB workouts. It's definitely my fav of Shaun's.

What's your blog called? I'd love to check it out.

Menaged

Since I really trust you guys, I come to you for advice.
I finished Insanity around 2 months ago, and did nothing since then (lazy + exams).
I'm really pleased with the results. I lost weight, and I can definitely see the change.
My dillema is what what to do next.

The thing is that I'm actually starting to see my rib cage, but on the other hand, there's still belly and waist fat that I'd really like to lose. I'm just concered that if I'd start Insanity again, my bones will be visible. Last time, I ate around 1600 calories per day, maybe that's something I need to change for round 2?

I thought about p90x, but:
1. I'm broke.
2. I have no idea if it will resolve the issue I described.

Thank you for your help! :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Since I really trust you guys, I come to you for advice.
I finished Insanity around 2 months ago, and did nothing since then (lazy + exams).
I'm really pleased with the results. I lost weight, and I can definitely see the change.
My dillema is what what to do next.

The thing is that I'm actually starting to see my rib cage, but on the other hand, there's still belly and waist fat that I'd really like to lose. I'm just concered that if I'd start Insanity again, my bones will be visible. Last time, I ate around 1600 calories per day, maybe that's something I need to change for round 2?

I thought about p90x, but:
1. I'm broke.
2. I have no idea if it will resolve the issue I described.

Thank you for your help! :)

You could do Body beast but then bulking can take a lot of money because you need a lot of weights and tons of food. If you can get a cheap gym membership, I'd recommend doing that.

Codernaut

Banned

1600? Are you nuts? That's no where near enough if you're doing Insanity.

Follow this formula next time you're doing Insanity to see how many calories you need:

66 + (6.23 x your weight in pounds) + (12.7 x your height in inches) - (6.8 x your age in years)

That's how many calories a day you need to maintain weight if you're inactive, but since you're doing Insanity you should multiply that by 1.55 if you're on you're first month of Insanity, multiply it by 1.7 instead if on the second month. Now if you're looking to lose or gain weight, subtract or add 500 calories respectively. If you want to maintain, do neither.

Stampy

I just watched the yesterday's chat and I don't get it why they didn't blatantly say P90X3 is coming out.

Horton was acting it out like he wants to spill it all out, but is barely holding himself, and then they continue to act like its all secret but they are naughty so they can give hints and winks about it.

I mean this type of behavior would make sense if the program was in a some kind of rumor phase, where everything is pointing it will come out, but it is still not official. But since the situation is different, and there is already an official site announcing p90x3, I really don't get their acting up, even if it's a joke, because it's a terribly bad one.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I just watched the yesterday's chat and I don't get it why they didn't blatantly say P90X3 is coming out.

Horton was acting it out like he wants to spill it all out, but is barely holding himself, and then they continue to act like its all secret but they are naughty so they can give hints and winks about it.

I mean this type of behavior would make sense if the program was in a some kind of rumor phase, where everything is pointing it will come out, but it is still not official. But since the situation is different, and there is already an official site announcing p90x3, I really don't get their acting up, even if it's a joke, because it's a terribly bad one.

Eh, I just think they're having fun being coy with it. I mean Tony did the X sign with 3 fingers up numerous times. I wouldn't get worked up about it.

Meanwhile I'm hoping that they get the T25 Gamma schedules up on the SuperGym soon -- I'm set to start Gamma on 9/9 and there's no way to add Gamma workouts -- auto schedule or not -- yet. Tech support says they're working on it but have no timetable.

Seems to me it'd be a pretty simple matter to add a schedule -- even to allow TBB.com users to define their OWN schedules -- so their back end for them must not be very robust.

Ah well, patience...

Codernaut

Banned

Maybe they're afraid it'll have a bad affect on T25 sales if they announce too soon.

Top Bottom