• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Fit test 4 tomorrow. I'm less excited for it than I was a couple of days ago, but I'm completely knackered right now and need an early night. I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I start (yeah, right) :)

jdavid459

Getting hard to stick with T25 everyday. I hit the "ugh I'm tired of the same workouts over and over" wall I notoriously hit with beachbody programs. Today is the last day of week 3 for me.

I also feel like the amount of leg work involved is nuts so far. Feel like ima have tree trunk legs with puny arms after this haha

Also measured my waist today and its 1-2in more than it was. Went from 34 to 32 to 34? wtf :(

Did my first Body Beast work out today which was chest and triceps. God damn that was hard. Part of the diffcuilty was just the speed of the work out, and also kinda sorta second guessing myself. I'm so used to 8-10 reps, I had to really think about the lighter weight I wanted to start out at.

yogloo

Getting hard to stick with T25 everyday. I hit the "ugh I'm tired of the same workouts over and over" wall I notoriously hit with beachbody programs. Today is the last day of week 3 for me.

I also feel like the amount of leg work involved is nuts so far. Feel like ima have tree trunk legs with puny arms after this haha

Also measured my waist today and its 1-2in more than it was. Went from 34 to 32 to 34? wtf :(

Don't quit! Think of the end result!

Whoa man, whose genius idea was it to have an hour's workout straight after the fitness test? The test itself went ok, but the workout was horrendous haha. During the first wave, I was stopping, but it was really strange - I wasn't breathing heavily and nor did I feel physically exhausted, but I just felt like I couldn't go on. It was the same feeling you get when you're lying in bed about to fall asleep and you realise you forgot to clean your teeth. You have to force yourself out the bed and do what you gotta do. Luckily, I fought though this and did ok at the end!

Still, I feel absolutely destroyed lol. I think I need to eat more over the next week or two.

Here are my results!

Switch Kicks - 60 -> 70 -> 73 -> 75 (+2)
Power Jacks - 33 -> 47 -> 50 -> 54 (+4)
Power Knees - 50 -> 87 -> 86 -> 112 (+26 [I think I might have done something wrong here, it seems way too high])
Power Jumps - 17 -> 32 -> 37 -> 56 (+49)
Globe jumps - 4 -> 7 -> 10 -> 9 (+5)
Suicide Jumps - 7 -> 12 -> 12 -> 13 (+6)
Push-Up Jacks - 19 -> 18 -> 21 -> 24 (+5)
Low Plank Oblique - 29 -> 57 -> 61 -> 66 (+37)

I think I went all out at the start and that's why my globe jumps were one less than last time, but everything else was slightly higher. I really sprinted through at the end to beat my low plank oblique record, too :)

Mastadon

Banned

I'm at the end of week three as well, and this is pretty much how I feel. I'm still really enjoying the programme, but man my legs are sore. My upper body feels pretty neglected, but I'm sure that will all change in Beta ;)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Does fasting work for you? I can't go more than a few hours without being super hungry. I'd eat the shit out of everything in sight if I fasted for 24 hours.

Funny thing is I don't really notice it working at all. I did a month with 2 24 hour fasts per week and noticed no weight loss. Now I'm doing a 16 hour fast every day (eat dinner at night, nothing until lunch the next day) and one 24 on Mondays, but am not noticing much. I do feel a bit better after the 24 hour fast though. As for hunger, the only time it bothers me is right at lunch when everyone around me is making food. As soon as lunch is over I don't notice anymore.

On another note, I am really enjoying Beta phase of T-25. It doesn't feel as strenuous as Alpha, but it feels like I'm working just as hard. Nice to finally add weights in yesterday. Alpha phase got me good at the moves and a bit more stamina, but no weight loss or "spare tire" loss, so I'm hoping adding weights gets that tire going.

I feel like I've been stuck at a plateau for like a year. Even more odd, before my vacation I was at 202 or so, after I was at 210. I got back to about 206 but have been sitting there for like 3 months, even with T-25. I have such an odd body. Guess I can thank my Grandpa for that.

EDIT: To those of you above, stick with T-25 through Beta. Beta is a good change and has had some solid arm work. The routines are less...routine too so far.

Miutsu

The best and only reasonable modification for pull-ups is to do assisted pull-ups. Forget the chair thing because that is impractical. Just "lower the weight" you are raising by using resistance bands. Toss the ressistance band over the bar, put your foot in both handles and this now gives you a nice floaty effect, and makes the pull up much easier. If you want it even easier, put another resistance band on your other foot. Naturally, the stronger the resistance bands, the easier the pull-up.

That's what I did and was going to suggest if he asked.

I had to read that more than once because I was having a hard time picturing it but I got it now, thanks! I was defensively thinking about using a chair for assisted pull ups but this sounds even better.

Btw, I'm having a hard time finding Protein Shakes in my country and the ones there are are expensive as hell (roughly a quarter of my monthly income), are there any good alternatives to this? also should dinner come before or after the workouts?

Chris R

Sucks that I've been sick the past few days, unable to do my workouts :( Just have to push the Beta cycle back a few days to get the ones I miss in.

FOOTE

Sucks that I've been sick the past few days, unable to do my workouts :( Just have to push the Beta cycle back a few days to get the ones I miss in.
Allergies are keeping me from my workouts. I try to set it up and it just isn't happening this week. I guess my plan is to start beta next Monday if I can. Going to try to do beast total body later after work... I dunno tho.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nervous about Insanity month 2 O.O

On the other hand I feel like it's where I'll see some great results, but hoo man.

I already have the sequence of moves in Ab Ripper X memorized, so I've been doing it without the video lately. Today, I finally did every single rep. All 349! At my own pace of course, but two weeks ago I couldn't even do half of these moves; let alone 25 reps of each! I'm pretty proud of myself.

V up roll ups still suck though. They are by far the hardest move.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I already have the sequence of moves in Ab Ripper X memorized, so I've been doing it without the video lately. Today, I finally did every single rep. All 349! At my own pace of course, but two weeks ago I couldn't even do half of these moves; let alone 25 reps of each! I'm pretty proud of myself.

V up roll ups still suck though. They are by far the hardest move.
Yeah, I do this as well — allows me to go at my own pace and not feel rushed by the video. Just need to stay disciplined and not speed through Fifer Scissors!

Oblique V-ups are the toughest for me. I feel like I've improved on a lot of the other moves over time, but they still give me trouble.

yogloo

Yeah, I do this as well — allows me to go at my own pace and not feel rushed by the video. Just need to stay disciplined and not speed through Fifer Scissors!

Oblique V-ups are the toughest for me. I feel like I've improved on a lot of the other moves over time, but they still give me trouble.

I think fifer's scissors is the hardest move for me. It kills me. I can't get my leg anywhere close to 90 degrees like tony and co.
V up roll up is also extremely tough for me. i can only do 6.

Just did Body Beast - Build Legs for the first time. god. damn. godddddddd daaaammmnnnn.

That said, another god damn to the number of calories I'm eating. I'm at the 2,800 level right now and today I ate about 3,600 because I burned 400 calories doing Body Beast and 1,200 playing basketball.

Also, god damn

Nervous about Insanity month 2 O.O

On the other hand I feel like it's where I'll see some great results, but hoo man.

Don't worry too much man, you'll be fine! I'm on day 48 today. The worst day of month 2 is the first, where you do Max Interval Circuit straight after the Fit Test. After that, everything seems easy lol.

When do you start?

3rd week of P90x2 Phase 1. I think I'm going to move on to Phase 2 after because Phase 1 is becoming a little bit easier for me. What is the average week that people move on (for those who are p90x2 grads)?

Ok, I'm back.

Had a pretty messed up summer. Started smoking and stuff but I'm tired of wasting my money and feeling like shit.

Gonna start T-25, how is it compared to Insanity? I got through a month of Insanity before stopping

FOOTE

Just did Body Beast - Build Legs for the first time. god. damn. godddddddd daaaammmnnnn.

That said, another god damn to the number of calories I'm eating. I'm at the 2,800 level right now and today I ate about 3,600 because I burned 400 calories doing Body Beast and 1,200 playing basketball.

Also, god damn
dem Bulgarian squats

So, that wasn't exactly as easy as I thought it would be.

Today, for the first time, I stopped a video before the end. I quit. I got through the Max Cardio Conditioning fine (nothing inspiring, but I did it) but then during the Cardio Abs I stopped right at the beginning. It was my left hamstring again, which I injured during Insanity, keeping me out for a couple of weeks before I started month 2.

I always feel it pulling during switch kicks so I don't kick as high on my left leg as I do with my right. But during the Cardio Abs workout I did a wide tuck jump and felt it ripping a lot more than usual. I took a short break and jumped in with the C-Sit position when they started, but as soon as I did a twist to my left side I felt it ripping again, harder this time, and winced in pain. I stopped there and then.

Help me feel better Gaf. I know I probably had to stop, but I still feel pretty pathetic for quitting. I could've stayed in there and modified or something but I just stopped the video before that option even came into my mind.

Doesn't feel good.

Help me feel better Gaf. I know I probably had to stop, but I still feel pretty pathetic for quitting. I could've stayed in there and modified or something but I just stopped the video before that option even came into my mind.

Doesn't feel good.

I would have stopped too. When something isn't right, it isn't right.

Remember it isn't a race really ... unless you are training for a race I suppose. You are still fitter for having done the first one then you would have been without and there is always tomorrow.

FOOTE

So, that wasn't exactly as easy as I thought it would be.

Today, for the first time, I stopped a video before the end. I quit. I got through the Max Cardio Conditioning fine (nothing inspiring, but I did it) but then during the Cardio Abs I stopped right at the beginning. It was my left hamstring again, which I injured during Insanity, keeping me out for a couple of weeks before I started month 2.

I always feel it pulling during switch kicks so I don't kick as high on my left leg as I do with my right. But during the Cardio Abs workout I did a wide tuck jump and felt it ripping a lot more than usual. I took a short break and jumped in with the C-Sit position when they started, but as soon as I did a twist to my left side I felt it ripping again, harder this time, and winced in pain. I stopped there and then.

Doesn't feel good.

You did the right thing.

A few months ago I ran in a 5km event and did a time of about 26 minutes. I felt like I could do a bit better, but I was pretty tired at the end.

Since then I have only really done P90X and the first couple of weeks of T25 without any running at all.

Today I finished a 10km in 52 minutes without taking a break or feeling that puffed. I'm pretty high on the programs right now.

Chris R

Allergies are keeping me from my workouts. I try to set it up and it just isn't happening this week. I guess my plan is to start beta next Monday if I can. Going to try to do beast total body later after work... I dunno tho.

It just sucks, because the workouts make me feel good, so I'm missing that, but then I'm also missing a huge chunk of energy from being sick :( Going to try tomorrow though, I think I'm on the tail end of this thing.

I'm done. I quit. DNF. Today would have been day 53.

My leg is just screwed, and I'm worried that if I carry on I'll do permanent damage to it. I've known it's been coming. Ever since starting again, I could feel my muscles straining whenever I do switch kicks or a move which involves extending my leg. For the past few nights, I've been waking up in the middle of the night because my leg's been aching and, trust me, it's difficult to get back to sleep in that situation.

I start Uni sports in about 3 weeks, so hopefully if I rest up till then I'll recover in time to join in. It's obviously frustrating, but in a way I'm pretty proud of myself for doing it for this long - especially for jumping back in as soon as I could after my injury first appeared and I was out for 2 weeks.

I'd like to thank the people in this thread for their encouragement and their willingness to answer my dumb questions. It really helped! To all those who are still going: good luck.

I was going to wait till day 63 for this, but I guess now is as good a time as ever to post some before and after photos. I'm so glad I started Insanity instead of just lounging around all summer, even if it's injured me. For the first time, I can go swimming without feeling self-conscious about my figure. In the right lighting it actually looks pretty good now!

Before:

Front.jpg

After:

Before:

After:
Before:

After:

The big test now will be avoiding putting the weight back over the next ten or so months at Uni! I'll try to eat a bit better than I did last year and I'll go to the gym a lot more consistently. I'll also be doing more sport, so I should be fine.

Thanks again, guys :)

gotoadgo

That's a big change man, you look a lot more defined and you've lost some weight around your face. Good job sticking with it as long as you did with the issues you had!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Nice results! You did the right thing stopping -- Insanity is not the type of workout you can just go through if you're injured. I hope your recovery goes smoothly & quickly!

Stampy

I'm done. I quit. DNF. Today would have been day 53.

My leg is just screwed, and I'm worried that if I carry on I'll do permanent damage to it. I've known it's been coming. Ever since starting again, I could feel my muscles straining whenever I do switch kicks or a move which involves extending my leg. For the past few nights, I've been waking up in the middle of the night because my leg's been aching and, trust me, it's difficult to get back to sleep in that situation.

I start Uni sports in about 3 weeks, so hopefully if I rest up till then I'll recover in time to join in. It's obviously frustrating, but in a way I'm pretty proud of myself for doing it for this long - especially for jumping back in as soon as I could after my injury first appeared and I was out for 2 weeks.

I'd like to thank the people in this thread for their encouragement and their willingness to answer my dumb questions. It really helped! To all those who are still going: good luck.

I was going to wait till day 63 for this, but I guess now is as good a time as ever to post some before and after photos. I'm so glad I started Insanity instead of just lounging around all summer, even if it's injured me. For the first time, I can go swimming without feeling self-conscious about my figure. In the right lighting it actually looks pretty good now!

I think the proper attitude in this situation would be to continue exercising each day, but instead of doing insanity, do one hour of mobility and stretching for your lower part of body. And regular exercising for your upper body which is not injured. And then when your legs heals, kick in with the programe again.

Also, just a recommendation, you should probably also do some longer chest stretches each day, since your right shoulder is a bit rounded forward. Such imbalance can always cause problems in the long run when you try these intense programes. Personally, I am sick of minor injures, so I am doing a lot of correction type of exercises before starting anything intense again.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Very much appreciated :)

I think the proper attitude in this situation would be to continue exercising each day, but instead of doing insanity, do one hour of mobility and stretching for your lower part of body. And regular exercising for your upper body which is not injured. And then when your legs heals, kick in with the programe again.

Also, just a recommendation, you should probably also do some longer chest stretches each day, since your right shoulder is a bit rounded forward. Such imbalance can always cause problems in the long run when you try these intense programes. Personally, I am sick of minor injures, so I am doing a lot of correction type of exercises before starting anything intense again.

Appreciate the advice. I don't have any weights or anything, but I was planning on doing some push-ups between now and going back to Uni, just to keep ticking along, so to speak. And I do find myself stretching my legs regularly! I won't be going back to Insanity when I recover though. Instead I'll get my cardio through sports and my anaerobic exercise will be though my gym membership :)

I take it you've had a lot of injuries like mine over the years?

Stampy

I take it you've had a lot of injuries like mine over the years?

Yep, totally injury prone. Even the slightest going over board can cause me an injury. I have no problems with weight (70kg), but my whole body is too tight, and not properly aligned due to all the sitting, so I am just a walking injury waiting to happen.

But what I learned from it is to take it easy, and to know what types of exercises are most beneficial for me a the moment (lots of stretching, mobility movements, and focused strengthening of ignored muscles).

Swimming is probably also the number one best thing one can do in such a situation. And not only regular type of swimming, but also doing asymmetrical movements in deep water is hugely helpful.

Yep, totally injury prone. Even the slightest going over board can cause me an injury. I have no problems with weight (70kg), but my whole body is too tight, and not properly aligned due to all the sitting, so I am just a walking injury waiting to happen.

But what I learned from it is to take it easy, and to know what types of exercises are most beneficial for me a the moment (lots of stretching, mobility movements, and focused strengthening of ignored muscles).

Swimming is probably also the number one best thing one can do in such a situation. And not only regular type of swimming, but also doing asymmetrical movements in deep water is hugely helpful.

That sucks, man. Well done on taking the initiative and not giving up. I'll have two or three more sessions in the swimming pool before I go back which should help.

jdavid459

W4 of T25. Took some pics and compared them to before starting T25. Looked no different, maybe put on some weight actually.

Changing up my routine.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Back from vacation, reality begins again in the morning. While my wife and I did get in all our T25 workouts, eating could have been better, so we're gonna buckle down starting tomorrow, which begins week 4 of the Beta phase!

FOOTE

It just sucks, because the workouts make me feel good, so I'm missing that, but then I'm also missing a huge chunk of energy from being sick :( Going to try tomorrow though, I think I'm on the tail end of this thing.

Hope you're back in asap. I've been keeping up with my Beast workouts but none of the T25 workouts. Tomorrow morning I'm starting T25 beta. I napped for almost three hours today( first time I had the chance to nap) and it was a deeeeeeep sleep with all the weird dreams so I can tell I needed the rest, aka a break from cardio.

We'll see how it goes. Beta cardio in the morning, no beast workout in the evening since I have classes.

TwiztidElf

I've been through each T25 workout once now in prep for officially starting on 9 September. My thoughts:
Speed1 is too easy. I didn't feel exhausted really at all.
Rip't Circuit and Upper Focus. I think I'd rather just go do upper body at the gym.
The rest are all awesome. Absolutely fantastic, exhausting cardio. Exactly what I'm looking for.
Maybe my memory of Insanity is fading, but I'm sure Insanity felt harder.

So for Speed1, Rip't Circuit and Upper Focus, I'm going to sub them out and go to the gym instead.

just finished month 1 of insanity. recovery week starts tomorrow...

i didn't really feel it getting easier until this week so i hope month 2 gets super hard so i can get in some good shape.

i started out weighing 357 and now i'm down to 326, but i've also been juicing. figured i would increase the amount of juice because i don't want my body to go into starvation mode. also added in some protein supplements on my rest days since i wasn't getting any the first three weeks.

i'm sure there are healthier ways to lose weight, but i'm gonna try and ride this out until the end of september and re-evaluate things.

since i mainly need to lose fat i'm just going to keep going with insanity another 1 or 2 rounds then think about moving into p90x. would i get significantly less cardio with p90x?

yogloo

I was reading about p90x and somehow I get the impression that most bodybuilding people look down on beach body programs. It feels like the relation between pc gamers and console gamers.

I was reading about p90x and somehow I get the impression that most bodybuilding people look down on beach body programs. It feels like the relation between pc gamers and console gamers.
It depends what you're after. A lot of workout guys today are mainly looking for size. P90X/X2 have more of an athletic theme to them. Pure bodybuilders would view them simply as "cardio" because of all the movement and calorie burning. They're partially correct, but it depends what you're after. I mean, if you're a tennis player, it won't help you to just go to the gym and do 3 max reps every other day, but that might be a good course if you're just working on size. As a (formerly) competitive athlete myself, I found the P90X series and Insanity to be great. I wish I had done Asylum, too.

Today starts my recovery week for phase 1 of P90X. Last week I really seemed to fall off the wagon, missing a workout and generally eating terribly. Perhaps I'll just redo week 3 in an attempt to get back on track.

edit: Ah screw it, I'll just move forward.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've been through each T25 workout once now in prep for officially starting on 9 September. My thoughts:
Speed1 is too easy. I didn't feel exhausted really at all.
Rip't Circuit and Upper Focus. I think I'd rather just go do upper body at the gym.
The rest are all awesome. Absolutely fantastic, exhausting cardio. Exactly what I'm looking for.
Maybe my memory of Insanity is fading, but I'm sure Insanity felt harder.

So for Speed1, Rip't Circuit and Upper Focus, I'm going to sub them out and go to the gym instead.

I would instead recommend sticking with the schedule and augmenting with additional strength work. In the context of the Alpha & Beta schedules, the workouts make more sense. For example, during Alpha I added in Body Beast Lucky 7 once a week to keep up with strength workouts since Alpha is mostly cardio & legs.

If you find Alpha too easy, what you might do is the last 3 weeks of Alpha (i.e., start with week 3) and then move into Beta. But I wouldn't swap out the workouts.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I only am going to be able to get in 2 workouts this week as I'll be leaving for the lake this weekend. So I plan to put T-25 on hold for a week. What would be two solid workouts to do today and tomorrow from P90X, X2, Insanity, Asylum, or T-25 to cover my bases and burn some calories?

Was thinking Plyo X2 and maybe an insanity or asylum workout.

I HAVE to get past this damn plateau I've been on for what seems like a year. It's killing me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So I only am going to be able to get in 2 workouts this week as I'll be leaving for the lake this weekend. So I plan to put T-25 on hold for a week. What would be two solid workouts to do today and tomorrow from P90X, X2, Insanity, Asylum, or T-25 to cover my bases and burn some calories?

Was thinking Plyo X2 and maybe an insanity or asylum workout.

I HAVE to get past this damn plateau I've been on for what seems like a year. It's killing me.

You could always do two T25 doubles. Total Body Circuit + Ab Intervals one day, Rip'T Circuit & Dynamic Core the next?

That way you get two full-body workouts plus two core-centric workouts in.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You could always do two T25 doubles. Total Body Circuit + Ab Intervals one day, Rip'T Circuit & Dynamic Core the next?

That way you get two full-body workouts plus two core-centric workouts in.

Hmm, not a bad idea. On day 2 should I do upper body focus/lower body focus instead? That way I get cardio/abs today and upper/lower body tomorrow?

yogloo

It depends what you're after. A lot of workout guys today are mainly looking for size. P90X/X2 have more of an athletic theme to them. Pure bodybuilders would view them simply as "cardio" because of all the movement and calorie burning. They're partially correct, but it depends what you're after. I mean, if you're a tennis player, it won't help you to just go to the gym and do 3 max reps every other day, but that might be a good course if you're just working on size. As a (formerly) competitive athlete myself, I found the P90X series and Insanity to be great. I wish I had done Asylum, too.

I am about to train for a 10k run. Will p90x be helpful for that?

Top Bottom