• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This Labor Day thing has thrown me off, I'm planning to start back into T-25 beta next week for the final 4 weeks. Just trying to do some random workouts this week to keep me moving.

KingGondo

Banned
I started Insanity a couple months ago, and fell off the wagon when I went on vacation then changed jobs in quick succession.

My new job is a lot closer to home, so I'm gonna try to work out in the mornings instead of the afternoon. If I get up at 5:45, I can work out and still have time to get ready and be at the office at 8:00.

I decided to just start the program over (I think the work transition will be easier with the shorter 1st month workouts) and try to get it done with no excuses and no missed days this time. I've gotten far too lax about it.

Wish me luck!

KingGondo

Banned
Core synergistic.
WTF?!?
How the HELL??!?
What about it?

Since you just started, I'll assume this post is about its difficulty... And yes, it's one of the more difficult and comprehensive P90X workouts.

Believe it or not, you'll start to enjoy it though. It's the best overall 1-hour workout I've done in any of the Beachbody programs. In fact, I feel like you could get away with just doing Core Syn 3-5 times/week and be in great shape.

Yea Core Synergystics is awesome

In fact the whole Phase 1 of P90X2 is pretty cool once you get the hang of all the balance moves

It's like Core Synergistics on steroids

yogloo

What about it?

Since you just started, I'll assume this post is about its difficulty... And yes, it's one of the more difficult and comprehensive P90X workouts.

Believe it or not, you'll start to enjoy it though. It's the best overall 1-hour workout I've done in any of the Beachbody programs. In fact, I feel like you could get away with just doing Core Syn 3-5 times/week and be in great shape.

I know. Great workout, right?

Yea Core Synergystics is awesome

In fact the whole Phase 1 of P90X2 is pretty cool once you get the hang of all the balance moves

It's like Core Synergistics on steroids

I KNOW RIGHT!?

I loved it. Can't wait to do it again next recovery week.

SUPERMAN. BANANA!

I was ok with most of the exercise on the first 3 weeks. This just made me swear at my TV. Fuck you Tony. *whimper*

Bollocks

What's the best alternative to Insanity, I'll finish my third run and then go on vacation for 2 weeks.
Afterwards I want to pick up my workout again, it's gotten to the point where I feel miserable when I don't work out but I feel that if I redo Insanity again, I'll get bored since I know all the moves. Suggestions?

What's the best alternative to Insanity, I'll finish my third run and then go on vacation for 2 weeks.
Afterwards I want to pick up my workout again, it's gotten to the point where I feel miserable when I don't work out but I feel that if I redo Insanity again, I'll get bored since I know all the moves. Suggestions?

Try Insanity Asylum. There's a part 1 and 2. Maybe try T 25 as well since Shaun T is also on that one

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Try Insanity Asylum. There's a part 1 and 2. Maybe try T 25 as well since Shaun T is also on that one

Asylum is definitely the next step up from Insanity. But I like T25 too, because it incorporates strength training.

I'd do T25, starting in Week 3 of Alpha (so you skip the first two weeks). You'll do 3 weeks of Alpha, in which time you'll learn the moves & the flow of the workouts.

After you've gone through the first week, start REALLY focusing on your form:
Squats: keep your knees in line with your toes and sit back, putting your weight into your heels. Go down as LOW AS YOU CAN, keeping your knees behind your toes, while keeping your chest high and your chin a fist-width away from your neck. Tighten your core and your glutes. As you come up, push from your heels, and stand all the way up, thrusting your hips forward and tightening your glutes. Really try to focus on range of motion and perfect form.

Lunges: Keep your torso perfectly vertical the entire time. Your front shin should remain vertical at all times, and put the weight into your front heel. You should be able to lift your toes on your front foot. Your back foot should be far enough back so that your back calf is close to vertical, in line with your torso, with your back knee bent. Go down until your back knee comes within a couple inches of the ground. That is a full range-of-motion lunge. If you're doing pulses, you should come up a few inches from that position.

Knee lifts: This applies to any time you're lifting a knee up, whether it's alternating high knees, mountain climbers, knee up-and-overs, alternating speed knees, or any other move where you lift up your knee. Always try to lift your knee above your waist, tightening your core to do so. If you're not at least coming close to your waist, you're wasting the effort. Knee lifts are a core exercise, focusing on your hip flexor and lower abs.

So in those last 2 weeks of alpha, do all of the exercises with those things in mind. Full range of motion, *perfect* form. Pay close attention to Shaun T's cues, he's really good in T25 about explaining proper form.

Then you'll be ready for Beta, which you'll do in its entirety (5 weeks).

Miutsu

So, I've been reading some of the older posts of this thread as well as the fitness thread(s) lately, and I've got the impression.. are Beachbody Workouts frowned upon over there? if so why? I know the demographics between the threads differ a little (these programs focus mostly on endurance/leaning while the fitness thread is more about strength), but I still find it weird that I get a hate vibe over programs like p90x over there.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So, I've been reading some of the older posts of this thread as well as the fitness thread(s) lately, and I've got the impression.. are Beachbody Workouts frowned upon over there? if so why? I know the demographics between the threads differ a little (these programs focus mostly on endurance/leaning while the fitness thread is more about strength), but I still find it weird that I get a hate vibe over programs like p90x over there.

I haven't spent much time in the other thread to be honest. The mantra there is mostly "big lifts", and there's nothing wrong with that. You can get very fit (and very strong) using the big lifts. There are a lot of people who feel that they are (by far) the best way to get fit & strong, and that anything else is a waste of time.

"Big lifts" by the way involves squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans and other weightlifting exercises using HEAVY weights.

My problem with these is that they can be VERY dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You NEED to have a skilled spotter when you're learning how to do them. And once you do learn them, you should probably have a spotter anyway, to be safe. So, you need another person who knows what they're doing.

Second, you need the equipment. Barbell, plates, weight bench, squat rack at a minimum. Or access to a gym that has all of that. If you're not a gym member, you probably want a "power cage", which is a large metal frame that has adjustable bars and brackets that you adjust for each exercise, so that the bar doesn't go past some minimal point and the brackets will catch the bar if it does, giving you a way to "escape" without dropping it on yourself or hurting yourself if you go to failure. Obviously these are fairly expensive. You're probably talking a MINIMUM of $500 for a good set of even used equipment.

For me, personally -- I don't have time to go to a gym. There's a fitness center at work, but it's not really set up for big lifts, and I don't have a spotter I know I can trust. My only time to workout is early in the morning, before everyone else gets up, and that means working out at home. So I don't want to attempt big lifts until I get a power cage. I do have one on my Amazon wish list -- I want to incorporate them into my fitness!

But I'll still do the Beachbody workouts, because they're fun, effective, and help with endurance & functional fitness. Body Beast is a decent introduction to working with heavier weights.

yogloo

"Big lifts" by the way involves squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans and other weightlifting exercises using HEAVY weights.

My problem with these is that they can be VERY dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You NEED to have a skilled spotter when you're learning how to do them. And once you do learn them, you should probably have a spotter anyway, to be safe. So, you need another person who knows what they're doing.

I am also worried about that.

I did weights from about 16-26 on an average of 5days a week.

Eventually I got burnt out on it. I just like being able to do all this at home. I can mix n match, don't feel bad if I miss a specific body part day and I don't have to wait on machines and all the other unpleasantries of a gym.

yogloo

I think I said it before but it feels like the relationship between console gamers and pc gamers. The dynamics are very similar.

izakq

I haven't been keeping up with T-25. Some family issues have come up and it threw me off of my schedule, twice. I'm thinking of starting over again on Saturday, because by then, everything should be settled in terms of the drama as well as schedules for my son's school and practices.

But I'll still do the Beachbody workouts, because they're fun, effective, and help with endurance & functional fitness. Body Beast is a decent introduction to working with heavier weights.

I agree with this. Sure you are going to get better results with a tailored program and living/breathing fitness. But I don't necessarily want to do that.

I enjoy them and I've really improved my fitness. That'll do me just fine.

Miutsu

Alright, thanks a lot for the answers guys :) I guess it does come to each and everyone's needs and about whats on our disposal/what we can do to get healthier. In any case that impression I got was only for some members/posts I read, as others were fine with these programs and in cases they redirected other members here depending on their needs.

---

Yesterday was my second day of Pylo (was supposed to be Tuesday but an almost national power outage kinda set that back). Happy to say that I fared better than the first time but I admit I half-assed a lot of the last workouts (so much squatting and so little strength in my lower body/so much weight), it will improve over time I'm sure.

There was a workout however that I was afraid to do because as soon as I tried it my leg began to hurt, which was that one in which you jump on one leg while doing a cross shape.

I agree with this. Sure you are going to get better results with a tailored program and living/breathing fitness. But I don't necessarily want to do that.

I enjoy them and I've really improved my fitness. That'll do me just fine.

That's one of the good things about a heavy weight lifting program, you can put in as little as 40-50 minutes 3 times a week and see great results. Really though the best program is the one you'll stick to imo. If you enjoy it and you're seeing results that's all that matters.

Ixian

That's one of the good things about a heavy weight lifting program, you can put in as little as 40-50 minutes 3 times a week and see great results. Really though the best program is the one you'll stick to imo. If you enjoy it and you're seeing results that's all that matters.
Exactly this. In order to participate consistently, your workout program of choice should be accessible, effective, and enjoyable. If what you're doing isn't the most efficient thing but you still like it, then good for you!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just finished Speed 2.0, and with it Focus T25 (Alpha & Beta). Please add me to the grads list!

We should have a separate list for T25 Gamma, since it's optional & not part of the base package (like Asylum 1 & 2). I'm starting that on Monday!!

I'M GONNA DO CORNCOBS

P90X-Katie-from-Back-and-Biceps.jpg

I think I'll do V-sculpt today...all of the back and biceps with none of the Kate!

Just finished Speed 2.0, and with it Focus T25 (Alpha & Beta). Please add me to the grads list!

We should have a separate list for T25 Gamma, since it's optional & not part of the base package (like Asylum 1 & 2). I'm starting that on Monday!!

Great work. What are your thoughts on beta vs alpha?

Miutsu

Yesterday was my second week of Yoga X and I kinda think I did worse that 1st week, didn't really bring it and I hadn't had much sleep that day, so I feel kinda guilty now since its one of the workouts I want to get better at (even better than the others) because I have huge flexibility and balance issues.

Today is Legs and back + ABRX and I'm thinking of replacing tomorrow's Kenpo with Yoga again to make up for the lousy Yoga yesterday, just for this week.

Edit: Aaaand it looks like I may be getting a cold before finishing my first two weeks >_>

Kerrinck

About to finish my 12th week of P90x. I cheated a little, skipping most of the AB Ripper X and not giving much thought to the meals so I plan to do it all over again starting next week with more discipline.

My question is, do you guys recommend any change if I am focusing mostly on gaining mass? Maybe switch Kenpo X with something more weigth focused?

yogloo

About to finish my 12th week of P90x. I cheated a little, skipping most of the AB Ripper X and not giving much thought to the meals so I plan to do it all over again starting next week with more discipline.

My question is, do you guys recommend any change if I am focusing mostly on gaining mass? Maybe switch Kenpo X with something more weigth focused?

I think it's mostly less reps and lift heavier for mass.

A question from me, if left hand is weaker than my right and I do less reps, should I keep pushing with my right or wait for my left hand to catch up.

I'm having trouble.

I simply cannot keep up the motivation to do P90. 3 times I've tried to start it up, but I've only made it past 2 weeks once. It's mainly a time issue, I have trouble finding a good place where I can play the DVD and workout throughout the week. Any tips? Should I perhaps look at T25? I sometimes have trouble finishing the P90 workouts so I'm afraid of trying anything more difficult.

Are there any good Beachbody workouts that can be done 2-3 times a week, perhaps?

yogloo

I'm having trouble.

I simply cannot keep up the motivation to do P90. 3 times I've tried to start it up, but I've only made it past 2 weeks once. It's mainly a time issue, I have trouble finding a good place where I can play the DVD and workout throughout the week. Any tips? Should I perhaps look at T25? I sometimes have trouble finishing the P90 workouts so I'm afraid of trying anything more difficult.

Are there any good Beachbody workouts that can be done 2-3 times a week, perhaps?
Something that really helps me is getting an android app that lists all the exercises then you can do them without the dvd.
Another thing that you can probably do is get the YAYOG (you are your own gym) app and then do the listed exercises. The app itself includes photos of the exercises so you can do it whenever you want.

A question from me, if left hand is weaker than my right and I do less reps, should I keep pushing with my right or wait for my left hand to catch up.

I would just say treat both arms the same as far as weight/reps go. There will always be small discrepancies in strength between the right and left, but they become more negligible over time the more similarly you treat them.

How does P90X compare to Insanity as far as knee and ankle injury potential? It's much less plyometrics than Insanity isn't it? I'm about to start Week 5 of Insanity and I don't think my body can handle doing it again so soon if I make it through the end of month 2, but my body still needs a lot of work and I need a regimented program. I'm sort of mulling over P90X but I'm worried about the potential for injury, but also... Tony Horton seems unbearable from the commercials they show on the Insanity DVDs.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm having trouble.

Les Mills Pump is only I think 3 times per week. T25 is great because you only need 30 minutes or so 4 days/week, and an hour on the fifth.

Another thing you can do for motivation is join a support group. Are you a member of Team Beachbody.com? You can sign up here if you're not.

On their message boards they have a lot of "accountability groups", which are people who post their daily workouts and encourage each other. It helps to keep you motivated.

I can also get you into some VERY active closed Facebook groups where people are doing the same thing. I've got one going for Focus T25 that has around 80 people in it right now, for example.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Great work. What are your thoughts on beta vs alpha?

Beta is definitely tougher... Speed 2.0 is my favorite workout that I think I've ever done, within Focus T25 or not. Dynamic Core is a tricky one -- it just keeps increasing in difficulty throughout the entire 25 minutes. And the introduction of weights or bands adds a dimension that Insanity really lacked. The focus on strength & core throughout Beta is really great.

I'd say that Alpha accomplished its task for me -- improving my stamina, building up my strength in my legs in particular. Beta definitely improved my core (and continued working on my legs for sure). It also helped with toning my muscles, though I'd done Body Beast prior and that did more for my raw strength. But it has to be said that combining high-rep, lower weight resistance exercises with cardio & ab work is really intense & gives you a great overall workout.

Overall I'm VERY happy with Focus T25. I didn't really lose any weight, about 3lbs, but I didn't want to lose any anyway! And my legs & core are getting stronger & more toned. It's a noticeable difference.

Today was my first Gamma workout, Speed 3.0, and it was awesome. Not quite as non-stop fast-paced as Speed 2.0, but it does add in a bunch of burpees & plank work, so it takes even more stamina & strength, not just fancy fast-moving footwork! Gonna take a couple times to get all the moves down. By the end my wife was the sweatiest I've seen her after a T25 workout -- she NEVER gets sweaty like that. So you know it was an intense workout! I of course was drenched, but I always get drenched. I am extremely good at sweating, apparently.

Struggled to get through my 2nd time of insanity.

Finally at the final week of month 2 and looking to wrap it up.

The issues I faced was the length and the repetition of the workout. Compounded by the fact that it's not as challenging as before. Don't get me wrong. I'm beaten by the end but I'm able to keep up with any of the crew comfortably.

Looking forward to switching to T25 and adding some boxing into the mix to change things up a little.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Looking forward to switching to T25 and adding some boxing into the mix to change things up a little.

Aw yeah, boxing is great! I've only done a little bit of heavy bag work , a couple guys at work showing me how, but it's a big difference hitting something (properly!) vs shadow boxing. I'm going to get a heavy bag for home at some point. Fantastic workout.

Aw yeah, boxing is great! I've only done a little bit of heavy bag work , a couple guys at work showing me how, but it's a big difference hitting something (properly!) vs shadow boxing. I'm going to get a heavy bag for home at some point. Fantastic workout.

oh cool! I remember we spoke about it earlier. Glad you got some work in.

I'd recommend a 150lb bag when you do get one though. You can actually build up really good muscle mass and definition with the bag.

Learn to properly wrap up your hands or you'll pay for that eventually.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
oh cool! I remember we spoke about it earlier. Glad you got some work in.

I'd recommend a 150lb bag when you do get one though. You can actually build up really good muscle mass and definition with the bag.

Learn to properly wrap up your hands or you'll pay for that eventually.

Right now I'm using these gloves and they work pretty well.

We have I think a 100lb bag at work, and I'm probably going to get a sand-filled freestanding bag for at home, so I don't have to mount anything in the ceiling. I don't like the heavy bag hanging towers, you can't really circle around them like you can a ceiling mounted heavy bag or a freestanding bag.

If you have any brand recommendations for bags/gloves I'd appreciate the info!

Kerrinck

Thanks.
Was mostly wondering if there was a good substitute for Kenpo X on my 2nd run, I am way too thin already.

How does P90X compare to Insanity as far as knee and ankle injury potential? It's much less plyometrics than Insanity isn't it? I'm about to start Week 5 of Insanity and I don't think my body can handle doing it again so soon if I make it through the end of month 2, but my body still needs a lot of work and I need a regimented program. I'm sort of mulling over P90X but I'm worried about the potential for injury, but also... Tony Horton seems unbearable from the commercials they show on the Insanity DVDs.

You only do plyo once a week; the exercise is an hour long and much less intense most Insanity workouts. The rest of the time you're not really prone to knee/ankle injuries, but certain exercises in the Legs and Back and Kenpo X routines will aggravate old injuries to some extent (even then, I have a bum right knee and I sprained my ankle a couple months ago, and nothing bothers me). For me personally, I've dislocated both shoulders more times than I can count, and that always scares me in P90X, so upper body injuries are a bigger issue/more probable in P90X than lower body injuries. Finally, I think Tony's awesome, he's one of the biggest reasons I stick with P90X and P90X2 after doing the routines so many times, but to each his own. Shawn T is also super cool, both of them fit their respective programs very well.

Right now I'm using these gloves and they work pretty well.

We have I think a 100lb bag at work, and I'm probably going to get a sand-filled freestanding bag for at home, so I don't have to mount anything in the ceiling. I don't like the heavy bag hanging towers, you can't really circle around them like you can a ceiling mounted heavy bag or a freestanding bag.

If you have any brand recommendations for bags/gloves I'd appreciate the info!

That's too cheap. Spend a decent amount. Get 16oz gloves. They will last longer and protect your hand better. http://store.titleboxing.com/gloves-training-gloves.html get something in the $100 range.

Also, the longer wraps are best as they'll provide better protection. http://store.titleboxing.com/hw.html the 180 bit is important. regular sporting stores generally have shorter ones which suck.

Not sure what a freestanding heavy bag is to be honest.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That's too cheap. Spend a decent amount. Get 16oz gloves. They will last longer and protect your hand better. http://store.titleboxing.com/gloves-training-gloves.html get something in the $100 range.

Also, the longer wraps are best as they'll provide better protection. http://store.titleboxing.com/hw.html the 180 bit is important. regular sporting stores generally have shorter ones which suck.

Not sure what a freestanding heavy bag is to be honest.

Cool, I'll look into those. Here's a freestanding heavy bag. The martial arts studio I go to has a few in different sizes. You can fill the base with water and/or sand. You can knock them around, but that's ok because they're also great for circling around them. You can also move them by tilting them onto an edge of the base & rolling them where you need them.

Do you know anything about MMA gloves that allow open-hand blocks & hits in addition to punches?

Cool, I'll look into those. Here's a freestanding heavy bag. The martial arts studio I go to has a few in different sizes. You can fill the base with water and/or sand. You can knock them around, but that's ok because they're also great for circling around them. You can also move them by tilting them onto an edge of the base & rolling them where you need them.

Do you know anything about MMA gloves that allow open-hand blocks & hits in addition to punches?

Nope. Didn't do anything MMA related. Didn't interest me.

My experience with those bag has been quite poor to be honest but i might work better for you. I can take a pic of what I built at home to enable movement while not shaking the whole house from being a ceiling mount if you're interested.

Top Bottom