• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Rocket786

P90X Gaf Graduates:
Deadly Cyclone
Nightz
Nelo Ice
Pr0cs
NoRen
Infinite_Daremo
Ryutaro's mama
III Saint
DR2K
Le-mo
Bildocube
f-castrillo
Slayer-33
Anth0ny
Dankir
mm04
FOOTE
BertramCooper
lljride

P90X2 Gaf Graduates:

Great OP! I'm also a P90X grad. Finished it 3 times. I posted in the other thread earlier last year.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just realized there is a P90X Grad section in the second post. Feel free to toss me in there when you get a chance. Did my program at the end of the last year.

I have a question about the chin-up bars. I'm around 200 lb, would that be too much for the door frame bars? Are there any other substitutes for a proper chin-up?

lljride

So Shakeology probably came up in the last thread, but I wanted to ask again since I'm seriously considering it now.

Anyone have any experience with Shakeology? teambeachbody.com has a forum dedicated to it, but it seems like every topic is either griping about the price, complaining of diarrhea/constipation, or proclaiming it to be the best thing ever (and with the amount of coaches/shills on their website, I'm most dubious of that last one).

I know it's expensive, but if it works anywhere near as well as Beachbody says it does I'm willing to pay for it.

I3rand0

So Shakeology probably came up in the last thread, but I wanted to ask again since I'm seriously considering it now.

Anyone have any experience with Shakeology? teambeachbody.com has a forum dedicated to it, but it seems like every topic is either griping about the price, complaining of diarrhea/constipation, or proclaiming it to be the best thing ever (and with the amount of coaches/shills on their website, I'm most dubious of that last one).

I know it's expensive, but if it works anywhere near as well as Beachbody says it does I'm willing to pay for it.

I haven't tried it personally, but here's a great unbiased review (probably the only one out there as far as I'm aware) I read last week regarding Shakelology. I love how all the Beachbody coaches come out of nowhere in the comments to attack the guy :lol

http://supplement-geek.com/shakeology-review/

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I have a question about the chin-up bars. I'm around 200 lb, would that be too much for the door frame bars? Are there any other substitutes for a proper chin-up?

The question isn't going to be if the pull-up bar can hold you. It's going to be a question of whether your door frame can handle it. If your house has questionable integrity on the door frame, you may want to avoid getting a pull-up bar. In general you should be fine, though.

I'd recommend getting the Perfect Gym Pull-Up bar since it won't leave marks on your door frame.

Without a pull-up bar you'll need to get resistance bands to simulate the motions. They work just as well and honestly would likely benefit you more if you can't reliably bang out a few pull-ups already.

I'm a grad aswell :), I finished P90X about 3 months ago and loved it (I lost like 10 pounds). I just started P90X2 yesterday and I loved X2 core. I plan on posting my results every 2 weeks for you guys :) (I'm looking to add muscle this round)

Day 1:
2012-01-16190223.jpg

Protein powder. Protein powder and even more protein powder.

Well all of my equipment has arrived so I'll be starting P90X2 today. Wish me luck!

Also add me to the P90X grads, along with Insanity and Insanity Asylum if there is such a list.

Tonight is Total BodyX + Ab Ripper X2 (week 2) for me.

I missed Ab Ripper X2 last week...any advice? Is it as long the original?

Le-mo

Where did you get those wall brackets? My P90X bar won't fit in the stupid Georgian archways our house has so I have to go upstairs to do pull ups now then go back downstairs for the rest of the exercise.

I got the wall brackets at Lowes. My wall isn't strong enough to hold my weight so I still have to attach the pull-up bar to my bathroom door.

lljride

Tonight is Total BodyX + Ab Ripper X2 (week 2) for me.

I missed Ab Ripper X2 last week...any advice? Is it as long the original?

Basically yeah, right around 17 minutes or so. If you can make it through ARX you shouldn't have much trouble with ARX2. I enjoy all of the new moves.

Collette is hot.

I haven't tried it personally, but here's a great unbiased review (probably the only one out there as far as I'm aware) I read last week regarding Shakelology. I love how all the Beachbody coaches come out of nowhere in the comments to attack the guy :lol

http://supplement-geek.com/shakeology-review/

Perfect, thanks dude, I'll check this out. Never underestimate the ability of a BB coach to find a negative review on the internet lol.

ShinAmano

So I have finised P90X 2 times. I have been thinking about getting back into it again and I see there is a Part 2. I have been doing my original workouts over the past couple of months but I am interested in trying Part 2.

Outside of the $140 on the DVDs (unless I am looking in the wrong places) what equiptment would I need to add? I have a stability ball...so I assume just the medicine ball and foam roller? <- Do I really need these?

Le-mo

So I have finised P90X 2 times. I have been thinking about getting back into it again and I see there is a Part 2. I have been doing my original workouts over the past couple of months but I am interested in trying Part 2.

Outside of the $140 on the DVDs (unless I am looking in the wrong places) what equiptment would I need to add? I have a stability ball...so I assume just the medicine ball and foam roller? <- Do I really need these?
The medicine ball and foam roller are optional, but I would highly recommend them. If you could only buy one I would go with the medicine balls. They make the workout much harder.

Nightz

All the moves can be done without the medicine balls and foam roller. Personally I love the roller (it's used for stretching). Medicine balls are used for added weight in some exercises or for balance training in others (like push ups on the balls, etc.).

PM me if you want to buy the set!

The medicine ball and foam roller are optional, but I would highly recommend them. If you could only buy one I would go with the medicine balls. They make the workout much harder.

So they said you need 2 medicine balls but then in some workouts I see them using 3-4. I bought 2, should I get 2 more?

IllumiNate

Hey everyone, below are my Day 1,Day 30,Day 75,Day 90, and 120 Day photos photos.
Wow I can't believe I'm finished the 90 days, but it all seemed to go by so quickly. I mean 90 days to go from what I was to what I am now, only 3 months, seems like its magic. It's incredible what this program can do for you if you commit yourself and really want to make that change in your life.
I will say that my first week I did the Chest&Back routine followed by the Plyometrics workout the day after and I was nearly dead. I actually could not walk for 5 days after Plyo,so the 1st week was kinda bad.
I started off not really paying much attention to my diet, at the end of the first week I moved to a new city and In one weekend had Mcdonalds,Tim Hortons,Subway,Chinese food,Cinnamon Buns, Carrot Cake ect.
It wasn't until just before Phase 2 that I started paying attention to my diet as well as taking Shakeology. I made sure to hit my protein goals (175g+/day),and was eating properly.

I work 12 hr shifts but I wanted to make a change in my life so I was still able to make sure I pushed play everyday before work.
My diet consisted of, Oatmeal with a scoop of ground Flax seed,Frozen berries,scoop of Protein,and Skim Milk for Breakfast. Did my workout an hour later, after workout had my Shakeology. When I made Shakeology it consisted of a Scoop of Shakeology,Scoop of Protein,Ground Flax,Benefibre,a little Skim Milk,Stawberries/banannas,Ice,and Water.For lunch was 2 whole wheat tuna/or lean Turkey breast Sandwiches,raw baby carrots,an Apple. Snacks were Protein bars,Low Fat beef Jerky,Banannas,Cottage Cheese,Humus,Whole Wheat crackers,Cereal. Dinner could be Turkey Burgers with whole wheat buns,Lean Chicken breast with steamed veggies,ect.
My grocery list looked something like this:
Frozen Fruits/Veggies
Oatmeal
Skim/Almond Milk
Banannas,Apples
Lettuce,Carrots
Whole wheat noodles/WW Crackers
Homus
Turkey Burgers
Chicken breast
Lean Turkey sandwich meat/Tuna
Whole Wheat Sandwich thins/Whole Wheat Buns
Kashi Cereal
Light Spaghetti sauce
Egg Whites
Ground Flax Seed
Beef Jerky
Benefibre

Supplements I took were:
Shakeology
Protein Powder
Creatine
Oxy Elite Pro (Fat burner)

P.S I never did the Yoga routine, not cause I didn't think it would help but because I was so unflexible at the start of the program. Also because wear I was doing my workouts I did not have the space for yoga, I can say that I am a lot more flexible after the program and can now touch my toes ect..
I'm 6"1 and I started the year at 217lbs, I am currently 167lbs as of this morning with 7-8% bodyfat. Yes I've lost 50 lbs of fat this year, I can do 13 pullups now and was only able to barely do 2 at the start of the program.

Day 1
get_message_attachment

Day 30
get_message_attachment

Day 75
get_message_attachment

Day 90
get_message_attachment

Day 120
get_message_attachment

I'd like to be added to the Gaf graduates list if possible

Jibbed

That was a couple months back, I'm sitting at about 177lbs now. I put on a few holiday pounds lol.

Those pictures are insane, good work man!

I'm just starting P90X this week with a slightly lighter build than you had on day 1.. could you possibly tell me which weights you used for dumbbell-related exercises in the first 30 days?

I only have 20kg at the moment (so I can put 10kg on each), and I'm guessing I'll need more than that to get results like you did.

Also, would you say the shakeology stuff is necessary?

Thanks man.

EDIT: Anyone else got an opinion on supplements? I don't want to buy some unless they make a considerable difference.

NoRéN

That was a couple months back, I'm sitting at about 177lbs now. I put on a few holiday pounds lol.

Fucken impressive, bro! Ask the OP if your name can be added along with a link to the pics for motivation.

Holidays were a bitch on me, too. Gained about 10lbs but I finally started losing some weight.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Christ CottonBaller, those are crazy good results. In my 90 days I dropped 20 lbs, but didn't get near that kind of definition.

Also, having Harry Potter on the graduate list seems like I am trolling someone. :p

Wrekt

I've asked this in a million threads (including the previous P90X thread) but never found someone that had my same problem.

I put on an acceptable amount of upper body muscle in P90X, but my core still kinda looked like shit. I never skipped a workout and I never cheated on a meal. My sides got super skinny and I still had an undefined bulge in the middle of my stomach. It wasn't like I had a beer belly, I was just super skinny without even a hint of ab muscle peeking through.

Anybody work through this or know anybody who has? I'm not sure whether to go even harder on the protein or to cut calories. The phrase "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym" but I wasn't taking in enough calories as it was, and I still didn't get the results I was looking for. My calories were low enough that I was actually starting to lose reps by the time I got discouraged and quit.

Progress pics for those feeling brave.
Cue joke about definition hiding behind stomach hair.
http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/WrektFrontFlex.JPG
http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/WrektSide.JPG
http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/WrektBackFlex.JPG

Right.. Just spend an hour trying to work out a diet :\
I've realized that I've been on a sub 1500 calorie low carb diet for quite a while..

But I've managed to get to 2100 calories with a 50/30/20 ratio for phase 1.

Here's ONE day (this is hard!)

Morning
-Oatso Simple Honey and Almond

Lunch
Multigrain bread slice x2
Slice of Ham
Light Philadelphia

Dinner
Chicken wrapped in bacon and cheese x 2
Danish malted bread x 2
2x scrambled eggs
cottage cheese 150g

Snacks/drinks in between
-skimmed milk + 25g whey protein x 3
Fat Free Onken Yogurt
Chocolate milk (recovery)

I really need help with the dinner as the chicken is pretty pricey and at the same time I don't want to cook the same thing every day. It accounts for 85g of protein. I can deal with sticking with the same foods.
I've also noticed a general lack of veg which is pretty alarming.

Any help with this would be wonderful.

Thanks!

I3rand0

I've asked this in a million threads (including the previous P90X thread) but never found someone that had my same problem.

I put on an acceptable amount of upper body muscle in P90X, but my core still kinda looked like shit. I never skipped a workout and I never cheated on a meal. My sides got super skinny and I still had an undefined bulge in the middle of my stomach. It wasn't like I had a beer belly, I was just super skinny without even a hint of ab muscle peeking through.

Anybody work through this or know anybody who has? I'm not sure whether to go even harder on the protein or to cut calories. The phrase "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym" but I wasn't taking in enough calories as it was, and I still didn't get the results I was looking for. My calories were low enough that I was actually starting to lose reps by the time I got discouraged and quit.

Progress pics for those feeling brave.
Cue joke about definition hiding behind stomach hair.
http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/WrektFrontFlex.JPG
http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/WrektSide.JPG
http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/WrektBackFlex.JPG

Your results are pretty similar to mine. I've done P90X twice now and while I have some definition in my core, it's not like a six pack or anything. I'm thinking my problem is diet as I usually skip dinner and just have a protein shake instead. So I think my problem (and probably yours) is due to a caloric deficiency. I'm supposed to be eating around 1800 calories a day, but I'm pretty sure I'm not there.

Here's my typical diet for a day:

Breakfast
1 bowl of Kellogg&#8217;s FiberPlus Cinnamon Oat Crunch with 1% Milk

Lunch
1/4 White Chicken Breast Skinless
Yellow rice
Black beans

Dinner
Protein Shake with 1% Milk - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R6Z5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(They've raised the price on this $20 since I last ordered it. So I may try Shakeology in a few weeks once I get close to running out).

I'm really bad about eating fruits and vegetables (OCD I guess) so I definitely need to get more supplements in my diet. Not sure if any GAF nutritionists can help me come up with some quick diet to compensate for this. I'd like to try cretin, but have always been cautious about it hearing it may cause health problems later on in life.

h3ro

Just finished Plyo. Awesome workout :D

At the start of Week 3 of Phase 1 now, really feel like I'm hitting my stride now.

FOOTE

P90X Gaf Graduates:
Deadly Cyclone
Nightz
Nelo Ice
Pr0cs
NoRen
Infinite_Daremo
Ryutaro's mama
III Saint
DR2K
Le-mo
Bildocube
f-castrillo
Slayer-33
Anth0ny
Dankir
mm04
FOOTE
BertramCooper
lljride
wrekt
A00man
RubxQub
Harry Potter
ShinAmano
CottonBaller

P90X2 Gaf Graduates:

:lol

well, here are my results from last time.

Took my first picture late, about week 3. Second is day 30. Third is day 60. I didn't take a day 90 picture.

carlo6529

Awesome results Foote =).

I have a question for anyone who can answer What is a good heart rate/percentage to keep up while working out? I'm assuming it varies between people, but i was in the high 150's earlier, and didn't feel over exhausted and felt like i could push it more but I know that is fairly high. Tony at one point says he was at 164.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I wanna put a plug in for the original Power 90 for anyone stopping in here that's new to Beachbody programs. If you don't think you're ready P90X, don't have the time (P90 is 35-40 minutes max per day), are interested in losing weight fast but not necessarily gaining muscle, etc. &#8212; I promise you it will work. I've done it on two different occasions (gained some weight back after the first run), and both times lost 26-28 pounds in three months. It's certainly easier than P90X, but it's by no means a cakewalk. If you haven't exercised regularly in a long time (or ever), it would make for a very good starting point. You can then move directly to P90X if you feel ready, or go for the Power 90 Master Series (considered P90X Lite) first. I also lost about 25 pounds doing the Master Series after P90 &#8212; it's a significant upgrade over the original, and is a lot more engaging with more variety.

FOOTE said:
Took my first picture late, about week 3. Second is day 30. Third is day 60. I didn't take a day 90 picture.
Ovechkin and Fleury seem to be impressed!

I wanna put a plug in for the original Power 90 for anyone stopping in here that's new to Beachbody programs. If you don't think you're ready P90X, don't have the time (P90 is 35-40 minutes max per day), are interested in losing weight fast but not necessarily gaining muscle, etc. &#8212; I promise you it will work. I've done it on two different occasions (gained some weight back after the first run), and both times lost 26-28 pounds in three months. It's certainly easier than P90X, but it's by no means a cakewalk. If you haven't exercised regularly in a long time (or ever), it would make for a very good starting point. You can then move directly to P90X if you feel ready, or go for the Power 90 Master Series (considered P90X Lite) first. I also lost about 25 pounds doing the Master Series after P90 &#8212; it's a significant upgrade over the original, and is a lot more engaging with more variety.

I second this. Power 90 will really gradually bring you up to speed. The only equipment you need is band (comes with it), mat (optional; feels better for yoga), a chair (dips). Everything you do, whether it's at lower or higher level (1/2 or 3/4), are common moves used in weight lifting and cardio. You are getting a workout no matter what. And, let's say if you are getting really good at the exercises, you can still kick it up and notch by adding weights or doing the exercises without too much pausing. And if you do the moves correctly with adequate intensity, you will see some muscle definition too along with losing weight.

Edit: I am almost done for the first time with p90, I don't see the Master Series on Amazon. Uggh I am going to come with questions for p90X

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Edit: I am almost done for the first time with p90, I don't see the Master Series on Amazon. Uggh I am going to come with questions for p90X
P90 Master Series doesn't really come in a complete set unless you order directly from Beachbody ($60 total for six DVDs). I just got all mine secondhand from Amazon marketplace sellers for probably a total of $40, which I was happy with. Overall, there isn't much documentation for the program — I got the schedule from an old post by a Beachbody staff person on their messageboard. It seems like they never promoted the MS as much as P90 or P90X, but I was really happy with results I got. Whereas with P90 you're repeating two workouts per week, and P90X you're doing six unique ones, the MS falls somewhere in the middle with 3-4 different workouts each week.

Day one of P90x2 was pretty good. I didn't find X2 Core to be terrible exhausting. The foam roller is a pretty cool new tool I never knew about, looking forward to using it more. I wish I would have got the Klingon dick looking one that Tony has. There were moves from Insanity that I recognized so maybe made it a little easier for me since I did that program for so long. Looking forward to Plyocide tomorrow, even though I know I'll probably be feeling the pain from it for the rest of the week.

Barbie has a smokin bod

Another question. I like to mountain bike fairly regularly (at least once a week when the weather permits)... but is that going to screw things up exercise plan wise? I'll easily burn 2k+ kcal when I go out on the bike which I'm guessing will mess with:

A: My diet plan on the program
B: Exercise / recovery on the program.

Will this be a problem or is there scope for exercise outside of the program without fucking thing up too badly?

Hi everyone, question time, your input is greatly appreciated.

I do want to try P90X someday. The biggest obstacle for me is the fact that I live in a real old, creaky apartment. So I would like to know

1. Is every workout/exercise an hour to 1 1/2? Or are some shorter? I go to school and work full-time. I am still adjusting to the 45 minutes schedule in P90 (early phase is 30minutes) and sometimes it just seems like it's foooorrreeever

2. Are there decent alternatives to pull-up bars? I really think my apartment won't be able to sustain it. I do think it can be done with resistance bands, yes?

3. Are there a lot of moves that involve jumping? My apartment is so old that I can't even do jumping jacks freely. I have thought about maybe doing it outside with a laptop or memorizing the moves (eventually). But right now that's the biggest challenge for me. Or are there substitutes or can those things be skipped?

Thanks for all of your help.

Great OP.

I am also a P90X grad, please add me!! Went from 242 to 215 in 90 days. This time around, I am doing a P90X/Insanity Hybrid Schedule. Just started Week 2.

Best of Luck to all.

Me and FOOTE will be hitting up the Hybrid schedule soon. Right FOOTE?

Anth0ny

Damn, CottonBaller's results are awesome.

I noticed he did the diet stuff. I never did any of that when I did P90x. I still had good results, but no six pack like that.

I just might force myself to diet with round 2.

LordK

I'm doing p90x2, but I hope some of my information relates to p90x.

1. Is every workout/exercise an hour to 1 1/2? Or are some shorter? I go to school and work full-time. I am still adjusting to the 45 minutes schedule in P90 (early phase is 30minutes) and sometimes it just seems like it's foooorrreeever

I believe people said yoga in p90x is like 80 minutes or so? So I'm assuming that's the longest. For p90x2, most everything is 60 minutes with the exception of yoga which is like 67 if I recall.

At the same time, you aren't exactly busting your ass for 60 minutes on non-yoga days. Warm-up is like 10-15 min and cool down is like 6. You also get the breaks in between exercises.

I've always subscribed to the notion that you (at least me) can more often than not free up an hour a day.

2. Are there decent alternatives to pull-up bars? I really think my apartment won't be able to sustain it. I do think it can be done with resistance bands, yes?

You can use resistance bands. I don't have my pullup bar with me and went through the back workout with bands. It didn't feel like I got as much of a work out. The pullup bar totally feels much better as far as maximizing the workout goes.

I have a creaky apartment too. The weight is actually distributed between the horizontal door frame that the bar sits on and the vertical frames that are pressed up against the horizontal parts of the pull up bar. I've actually made slight grove dents in my door frame from the bars pressure, oops. I haven't noticed any damage to the top of the door frame though.

I remember I worked at the campus labs until midnight and would go run 3-4 miles after closing... of course that's really weird.
3. Are there a lot of moves that involve jumping? My apartment is so old that I can't even do jumping jacks freely. I have thought about maybe doing it outside with a laptop or memorizing the moves (eventually). But right now that's the biggest challenge for me. Or are there substitutes or can those things be skipped?

So far only plyometrics (in x2) has you jumping a lot. Some other workouts incorporate some plyometics which will have you jumping around here and there. I'd highly suggest doing it outside if you can't even do jumping jacks inside. You will make a lot of noise with most of plyo if jumping jacks are uncomfortable for those around you.

You can always go outside and do sprints and stuff to substitute though. I don't think you can really do anything inside.

Another question. I like to mountain bike fairly regularly (at least once a week when the weather permits)... but is that going to screw things up exercise plan wise? I'll easily burn 2k+ kcal when I go out on the bike which I'm guessing will mess with:

A: My diet plan on the program
B: Exercise / recovery on the program.

Will this be a problem or is there scope for exercise outside of the program without fucking thing up too badly?

I'm not exactly a nutrition expert, but just eat more on the days that you mountain bike. I'm running 25-30 miles a week while doing p90x2 and I think I should be eating more than I am. The p90x2 workouts don't even come close to ruining you physically for the day. I'd suggest doing the p90 after your mountain biking though.

OG Kush

WORD OF ADVICE:
I read most people say you lost the most fat in the last month, and I believed what everyone said but didn't really take it to heart. So, because of this, after the first month I never did the ab ripper x exercises as I said to myself "I have a bit of stomach fat, no way i can lose this that quick, whats the point of doing ab exercises if I wont be able to see the results?"

That was a big mistake. I finished p90x a week ago, but still continuing it and man my stomach as shrunk a lot. I fucking wish i did the ab exercises, I would actually have some visible abs.
So, basically, stick with ab ripper x! You really do make the most progress in the last month.

Bildocube

CottonBaller your results are absolutely fantastic. Good good GOOD job.

I have done P90X twice and am halfway through Insanity and haven't gotten results like that even though my results are still pretty good. I guess my diet is not on point. I eat very clean, I guess just not the right quantities of clean?

This is a typical example day of my eating:

Breakfast:
2 whole grain waffles with 0 cal syrup
4 soy sausage patties
1 cup of vanilla almond milk

Lunch:
deli turkey breast on whole wheat bread
1 banana

Snack:
P90X Protein Bar (those bars are delicious, prefer the taste of them to Clif Bar)

Workout...

Post-Workout:
Results and Recovery Formula

Dinner:
1 cup broccoli
1 cup cauliflower
1 cup corn
Chicken Breast

Snack:

Shakeology (sometimes mixed with stuff, up to 400 cals)

I don't do dairy due to food allergy. I'm guessing my calorie intake is around 1500-2000 a day.

Any suggestions on how I can modify to eat better?

Top Bottom