• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The label image makes it sound that way...

deschutes-mirror-pond-pale-ale-cans.png

http://beerpulse.com/2013/03/deschutes-mirror-pond-pale-ale-coming-to-cans-012/

I'm okay with cans, but I'm not okay with outsourcing the beer (even though Sam Adams has done it forever and always has and I still love Boston Lager). I don't know, it just seems wrong and I can't really put my finger on why.

andylsun

I'm okay with cans, but I'm not okay with outsourcing the beer (even though Sam Adams has done it forever and always has and I still love Boston Lager). I don't know, it just seems wrong and I can't really put my finger on why.

I find it annoying, and it can undermine quality and taste. Bass Ale brewed in Georgia doesn't taste the same as Bass Ale brewed in England.... Grolsch brewed in Holland tastes different to Grolsch brewed under license in the UK.

Having said that, craft brewers know they are held to a pretty high standard by the customer base, so if they are doing all they can to make sure it's a match, then that's good.

Tunic

I find it annoying, and it can undermine quality and taste. Bass Ale brewed in Georgia doesn't taste the same as Bass Ale brewed in England.... Grolsch brewed in Holland tastes different to Grolsch brewed under license in the UK.

Having said that, craft brewers know they are held to a pretty high standard by the customer base, so if they are doing all they can to make sure it's a match, then that's good.

I don't like outsourcing at all. Water plays a big part in the making of beer. Water that Deschutes uses for their beers brewed in Bend I can guarantee is different than what they are getting in that Minnesota location.

andylsun

I don't like outsourcing at all. Water plays a big part in the making of beer. Water that Deschutes uses for their beers brewed in Bend I can guarantee is different than what they are getting in that Minnesota location.

I'm sure the water profile will be the main part of the work they are doing to make it match. If you strip your water down to distilled/RO, and then adjust the profile from there you can get pretty close.

Edit: I drank a lot of Mirror Pond last time in Oregon, so if it means I can try it locally, then I will.

I'm sure the water profile will be the main part of the work they are doing to make it match. If you strip your water down to distilled/RO, and then adjust the profile from there you can get pretty close.

Edit: I drank a lot of Mirror Pond last time in Oregon, so if it means I can try it locally, then I will.

I don't think the canning will lead to you getting it out near you, but Deschutes is in the midst of a nation-wide distribution plan, so they'll hit NH soon enough.

koVYaqXh.jpg

My pickup today. Some stuff I know I like, but mostly things that looked interesting or that I've wanted to try for a while. The Budweiser and PBR is just there because I wanted to try some American mainstream beer, something I haven't really done since I live in Europe. I don't really expect them to be good... Oh, and a whiskey and some fancy whiskey glass snuck in there too.

codhand

My pickup today. Some stuff I know I like, but mostly things that looked interesting or that I've wanted to try for a while. The Budweiser and PBR is just there because I wanted to try some American mainstream beer, something I haven't really done since I live in Europe. I don't really expect them to be good... Oh, and a whiskey and some fancy whiskey glass snuck in there too.

pbr, youre in for a treat xP

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Deschutes probably starts with ro water and builds it. The water will likely be identical.

dekline

Had to make a run after work when my gf told me this was in stock:

iLhRAZvR8S9Lf.jpg

Sounds like one hell of a beer.

Mpls area?

Surly is good stuff. Have you happened on any Steel Toe from St. Louis Park? Run by one guy, makes amazing beer, the Size 7 IPA is by far one of my favorites.

I live very close to Dangerous Man and Indeed Brewing in NE Mpls. Craft beer market is really exploding in the Twin Cities, so many new places.

Governor Dayton signed the "Surly bill" a couple of years back. That's probably the biggest reason for the explosion in craft brews around the state.

I really do need to make a trip up to the cities soon (i'm about two hours south). Been too long.

Malvolio

Had to make a run after work when my gf told me this was in stock:

iLhRAZvR8S9Lf.jpg

Sounds like one hell of a beer.

Very enjoyable beer, but it's a real big beer and I found it to be much more palatable with some age on it. That's the beauty of the four pack though, plenty to put away for later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, Ommegang doesn't make scam beer, but I'm not sure I buy into the authenticity of Belgian Golden Ale as a Westerosi beer.

matt360

Had a tasting party over the weekend with some friends. They all like beer, but have never really tried anything outside of the major brand lagers you can get at the grocery store. This is in Japan, so grocery stores usually don't carry much beyond Asahi, Sapporo, and Kirin.

Tried to get a good variety of stuff we have readily available here. The Punk IPA was the most popular with the group, followed by the St. Bernardus.

HiResDes

Tried Asahi Super Dry yesterday and enjoyed it. Next on my list is some Trois Pistoles... Ephemere or La Fin Du Monde.

Unibroue rankings for me:

1. Maudite
2. Trois Pistoles
3. Don De Dieu
4. La Fin Du Monde
5. Blanche De Chambly
6. Ephemere Apple

...With that being said I'd give them all a 8/10 or above!...

matt360

Minoh stout? I'm excited to visit their brewery next year on our trip back to Japan.

Have you tried Minoh Stout before? It's been voted best stout in the world before, back in 2009 I think. I don't know that I agree, but it is fantastic. Their W-IPA is amazing and so is their Imperial Stout. You pretty much can't go wrong.

Have you tried Minoh Stout before? It's been voted best stout in the world before, back in 2009 I think. I don't know that I agree, but it is fantastic. Their W-IPA is amazing and so is their Imperial Stout. You pretty much can't go wrong.

Nope. No Minoh in Washington state.

codhand

Cevercería de MateVeza recently created Girl Scout Cookies-inspired beers. The brewery made 5 different flavors of beers inspired by the cookies – none of which have the actually cookies in them. The beer list includes:

Salted Chocolate Stout w/ Peanut Butter (Peanut Patties)
Belgian Dubbel w/ Cocoa Nibs & Coconut (Samoas)
Peanut Butter Cream Ale (Do-si-dos)
Peppermint Porter (Thin Mints)
Shortbread Golden Ale (Trefoils)

Do not want.

andylsun

Cevercería de MateVeza recently created Girl Scout Cookies-inspired beers. The brewery made 5 different flavors of beers inspired by the cookies – none of which have the actually cookies in them. The beer list includes:

Do not want.

The Porter and Dubbel sound good. A friend of mine brewed a gingerbread porter - and while I wouldn't want to have to work through a keg of it, a single bottle was pretty nice.

ianswoody

Blindly picked up a 750mL of AlphaAlpha, a brew in Ithaca's Excelsior! series. Little did I know that it was kinda hard to come by! Drank last night and lurved it.

alphalpha.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Do not want.

I hate gimmicks like this, especially from breweries that haven't really established themselves yet.

dekline

Do not want.

I would definitely try the dubbel.

Decado

Unibroue rankings for me:

1. Maudite
2. Trois Pistoles
3. Don De Dieu
4. La Fin Du Monde
5. Blanche De Chambly
6. Ephemere Apple

...With that being said I'd give them all a 8/10 or above!...

Mine would be:

1. Trois Pistoles
2. La Fin Du Monde
3. Le Terrible
4. Don De Dieu
5. Blonde De Chambly
6. Maudite
7. Noire De Chambly
8. Blanche De Chambly

It changes, though. Sometimes I'd put La Fin Du Monde at #1. The first 6 are all 8.5 - 9 / 10 for me. Grande Reserve would be somewhere in the middle if it was a regular release. I love unibroue. I hate that I can't find Don De Dieu any more and Le Terrible only came here as a limited release.

San Francisco BeerGAF, you're my only hope...

... one of my staff members is heading to San Francisco for work in a few days (unfortunately we couldn't convince them to let me go as well, sadface), and he doesn't drink so has offered to bring me some beer to Australia.

He'll probably be going to City Beer or Healthy Spirits (unless there's some other amazing craft beer store near the Financial District).

What should I ask he get? Anything from Russian River (Pliny, obviously, but I doubt I'd be that lucky) seems good, Dogfish Head 120 Minute maybe? He can bring back 2.25L without any drama...

Basically, if you could choose 3-5 beers that are just impossible to get outside of the San Francisco/West Coast region, what would you get?

Angry Grimace

Fuller's 1845? Yes, please. I could drink this until I couldn't signal for anymore pints.

San Francisco BeerGAF, you're my only hope...

... one of my staff members is heading to San Francisco for work in a few days (unfortunately we couldn't convince them to let me go as well, sadface), and he doesn't drink so has offered to bring me some beer to Australia.

He'll probably be going to City Beer or Healthy Spirits (unless there's some other amazing craft beer store near the Financial District).

What should I ask he get? Anything from Russian River (Pliny, obviously, but I doubt I'd be that lucky) seems good, Dogfish Head 120 Minute maybe? He can bring back 2.25L without any drama...

Basically, if you could choose 3-5 beers that are just impossible to get outside of the San Francisco/West Coast region, what would you get?

Russian River sours - Supplication, Temptation, Sanctification or Consecration.

Top Bottom