• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

aceface

How is the Game of Thrones ale? Is everyone waiting until the premiere to drink it? By the picture it looks like it says it's a blonde ale, but my eyes are kinda shit and I can't be 100% sure. What's the abv?

I thought it was delicious. It's the most drinkable Ommegang I've ever had which some people might not like (they make some complex brews, I'm thinking 3 Philosophers here) but it's fine with me. You can tell they were aiming at a mass audience with this one but it's still a delicious gateway beer to fans of the show who might not be into craft beers.

And $8 a bottle is cheap! Normally the specialty Ommegangs sell at $12-$14 per bottle.

I thought it was delicious. It's the most drinkable Ommegang I've ever had which some people might not like (they make some complex brews, I'm thinking 3 Philosophers here) but it's fine with me. You can tell they were aiming at a mass audience with this one but it's still a delicious gateway beer to fans of the show who might not be into craft beers.

And $8 a bottle is cheap! Normally the specialty Ommegangs sell at $12-$14 per bottle.

Haha, In Manhattan it's going for $20-$30 a bottle

VALIS

Had some Harviestoun Ola Dubh tonight, it lives up to its very high reputation. Like a top notch sweet stout aged in a whiskey barrel. The Scots make some good beer.

Bigfoot

Pliny on tap, I love philly.
I know I'll probably never get to try Pliny due to where I live. I'm sure someone must make a similar beer. Does anyone know of any beers that taste like Pliny that I might be able to track down?

If not, I guess there is always homebrew since I see the Pliny recipe has been released so that makes it easy to clone.

codhand

it was a total shock, my gf made a minor scene when the waitress mentioned it, we had never had it, so you never know. lived up to the hype but i give the edge to Gandhi Bot as it's local.

dekline

I know I'll probably never get to try Pliny due to where I live. I'm sure someone must make a similar beer. Does anyone know of any beers that taste like Pliny that I might be able to track down?

If not, I guess there is always homebrew since I see the Pliny recipe has been released so that makes it easy to clone.

I've never had pliny, but check out this list of doubles

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/140

Maybe you can find a beer near you that is similar in style to pliny.

Seth C

I'm very much into IPAs and Stouts, but I like pretty much anything. Brown and Red ales as well. Not big on lambics, though.

Well Three Floyd's doesn't make a lambic, so you're safe. They do make a farmhouse though, called Rabbid Rabbit. Definitely try the Robert the Bruce then. It's a Scottish ale. Pride and Joy is their sessionable pale ale. Dreadnaught is very good if you like an Imperial IPA. Brian Boru just came out in February and I really enjoyed it. A good balance of malt and hops. Moloko is their milk stout, which is delicious, but isn't available until the fall.

Really though, you won't go wrong with Three Floyd's unless you just dislike the type of beer. They don't brew anything that is objectively bad.

Finally my store started to stock Dark Horse Plead the Fifth Imperial Stout.
This being my first, I have to say it is worthy of the hype. If you even remotely like stouts, (especially with high alcohol %) and you can find it, try it.
Plead5thStout%2520label.jpg

Happy holiday weekend, folks.

Picked up a few things to tide me over 'til Monday: a bomber of Skull Splitter from Orkney, New Belgium's Rampant, another La Folie to share with a friend, Victory's Storm King, Terrapin's Wake & Bank, and finally a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye which is what I'm drinking right now and have fallen in love. Very likely to pick this up again.

Yes Boss!

Absolutely gorgeous holiday weekend here in Maryland. Went for a few hour walk and picked these up for tonight. Quality lager goes so well with nice warm spring days.

212E2E4E-5137-4BCB-AAB7-6881CF272A05-9641-00000B4174904034.jpg

Seth C

So I'm enjoying Stillwater's Folklore at my local brewery. They also have Plead the 5th, Double Crooked Tree, Ruination, and Gumballhead on tap.

Also, Fork in the Road is parked outside serving this delicious grilled cheese. Local sourdough, provolone, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, dandelion greens, and apricot jam. Nomnom.

And on on the the Double Crooked Tree.

Seth C

A flight of Brooklyn's There Will Be Black, Country Boy's Knotty Pine IIPA, Avery White Rascal, and 3 Floyd's Gumballhead.

Now, it's that time of night. Choose my beer at the next bar!

Their tap list:

Schlafly Pilsner, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Green Flash Grand Cru, Great Lakes Friendship Brew, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, Left Hand Milk Stout nitro, Southern Tier 2X Stout, Flying Dog Underdog Lager, Unibroue Maudite, Founders Centennial IPA, Schneider Aventinus

Choose the Pilsner and I kill you.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
A flight of Brooklyn's There Will Be Black, Country Boy's Knotty Pine IIPA, Avery White Rascal, and 3 Floyd's Gumballhead.

Their tap list:

Schlafly Pilsner, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Green Flash Grand Cru, Great Lakes Friendship Brew, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, Left Hand Milk Stout nitro, Southern Tier 2X Stout, Flying Dog Underdog Lager, Unibroue Maudite, Founders Centennial IPA, Schneider Aventinus

I'd be worried that they still somehow have GL Christmas Ale on tap, but I'll still give it my vote because it is by far one of my favorites.

Their tap list:

Schlafly Pils is actually pretty decent. They dry hop it. Still a lot of that up there is better.

What's the verdict on New Belgium's Rampant:

IMAG0100.jpg

I've heard some negative reviews of it, but at 9 bucks a six pack for a double IPA I think it is great

PG2G

I'd probably take most of the Lagunitas IPAs over Rampant and at similar price point. It just didn't make much of an impression on me.

GodofWine

I just popped open my first Oatmeal Stout from my first homebrew batch...wasn't bad, needs another couple of weeks to age I think, but as it stands right now its a perfectly average stout THAT I MADE, which is cool. It even cascaded as the head settled...id post a pic but I need to figure out how. :/

dekline

I just popped open my first Oatmeal Stout from my first homebrew batch...wasn't bad, needs another couple of weeks to age I think, but as it stands right now its a perfectly average stout THAT I MADE, which is cool. It even cascaded as the head settled...id post a pic but I need to figure out how. :/

Nothing like drinking your own homebrew. Very satisfying.

Congrats dude! I'm jealous. I haven't brewed in a long time

thespot84

Schlafly Pils is actually pretty decent. They dry hop it. Still a lot of that up there is better.

What's the verdict on New Belgium's Rampant:

IMAG0100.jpg

I've heard some negative reviews of it, but at 9 bucks a six pack for a double IPA I think it is great

Other than the fact I thought it was called rampart and not rampant, I think it's great. It's not traditionally in that it's not super hoppy, not as mellow as something like chainbreaker but somewhere in the middle. One of my go to's now when I see it around.

Other than the fact I thought it was called rampart and not rampant, I think it's great. It's not traditionally in that it's not super hoppy, not as mellow as something like chainbreaker but somewhere in the middle. One of my go to's now when I see it around.

Man those Mosaic hops are so drinkable. Think I'm gonna consider this a sessionable Double IPA. On second thought that sounds dangerous

Jamesways

Man those Mosaic hops are so drinkable. Think I'm gonna consider this a sessionable Double IPA. On second thought that sounds dangerous

Completely agree, I can't get enough of it lately. It's definitely my staple IPA right now. It's got a great blend of bitter and sweetness to it, very very easy to drink. Not a typical Imperial IPA in the least.

strata8

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this?

So I'm almost 19 and never had alcohol before. Tonight I decided to finally give it a shot and grabbed a bottle of whiskey (1.3 standard drinks) I received almost a year ago now. Managed to finish the whole thing but by the end of it I was gagging and shuddering a bit even though I thought the taste was halfway decent.

What I'm wondering is whether this is normal? I'd like to be able to drink more in the future so I was hoping it's something I'll get over eventually.

codhand

Might not seem like much, but none of these are available in Connecticut. =)

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this?

So I'm almost 19 and never had alcohol before. Tonight I decided to finally give it a shot and grabbed a bottle of whiskey (1.3 standard drinks) I received almost a year ago now. Managed to finish the whole thing but by the end of it I was gagging and shuddering a bit even though I thought the taste was halfway decent.

What I'm wondering is whether this is normal? I'd like to be able to drink more in the future so I was hoping it's something I'll get over eventually.

I think you've got it twisted ;)

This isn't the build-your-tolerance-to-whiskey-thread, it's where we share experiences about the enjoyment of craft beers, consumed in moderation.

or to put it more simply

Joico

Who's had 2013 KBS? It's out today across Founder's distribution footprint. I'm in Indiana and am hoping to get some this weekend!

KBS_on_barrel-749x1000.jpg

Top Bottom