• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Reuben's Brews in Seattle is bottling, just saw this awesome display at my neighborhood Whole Foods. Their Imperial Rye IPA (green label) keeps winning national awards, and is now in 22 oz. bombers. Rock on.

pKMqPV7.jpg

dekline

Had a couple brews with some coworkers at pearl street today. Left with a couple growlers but we felt that wasn't enough.

-Pearl Street Nut Brown
-Chimay Blue
-Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
-Bell's Expedition Stout
-Trappistes Rochefort 10

TheExodu5

Banned
Those have been readily available at the the SAQ ( State liquor stores) in Quebec. Very enjoyable given the high ABV.

Yeah I got mine at the SAQ in Aylmer. I'm going to head back this weekend (to Hull probably, as they have more stock) to pick up 6 or so.

Are they available every year, or is the first year they've been stocking them?

Minus_Me

My friend mentioned that he'd seen these last year, but it was a first for me. I rarely check out the beer selection at the SAQ. Only noticed it because they got some Delerium Tremens in which I had regularly in Europe.

TheExodu5

Banned
Any other SAQ beer pickups you'd recommend while I'm there? I don't go beer shopping in Quebec all that often.

On a side note...I'm not sure I really understand the love for Beau's. I find their Lug Tread to be rather tasteless, and now I'm feeling the same from their Winter Brewed coffee amber. It tastes like weak, carbonated coffee. There's really not much to it at all.

Minus_Me

Selection is very limited depending on the type of SAQ ( Selection, Signature, Express) so it would vary. With that in mind, the selection is still pretty limited. Beer wise is would be better to find a good beer Dépanneur that carries a wide selection of beers brewed in the province.

TheExodu5

Banned
Selection is very limited depending on the type of SAQ ( Selection, Signature, Express) so it would vary. With that in mind, the selection is still pretty limited. Beer wise is would be better to find a good beer Dépanneur that carries a wide selection of beers brewed in the province.

Yeah kind of what I figured. I happened upon an awesome beer store in Aylmer called Les Bieres du Monde. Apparently they have 300-400 beers. I felt like a kid in a candy shop there.

Minus_Me

Looking at their site they have the same selection as the Dépanneur I go to in Montreal. If you look at their brewery list you'll notice one called Brouhaha. I'm an acquaintance of the couple that owns the place and you can find me there regularly. If they happen to have the Special B I can't recommend it enough.

TheExodu5

Banned
Special B. Noted. :)

I was glad I found that store. It's the only place I've found La Vache Folle outside of Lac St-Jean. It's my favorite stout so I was glad to find it so close to home.

TheExodu5

Banned
Drinking a Vache Folle as we speak. Microbrasserie Charlevoix is one of the best brewers I've had the pleasure of tasting.

I'm finding that out now. I had this one pictured here (not my picture) over the weekend:

8410759_orig.jpg

I'm not usually a big hop fan, but this beer was absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure what style of beer it was, but it's probably the best hoppy beer I've had.

The guy at the store also highly recommended this one:

6886688781_c5067cf0b1_z.jpg

I'll probably be having that one over the weekend. I'm excited to try it as I'm a big fan of brown ales.

-KRS-

Had one Duvel and one Leffe Brun this evening. I just love Belgian ales. Nothing tops it! :)
Tomorrow I'll have the Westmalle Tripel and the Chimay Blue I also bought. Westmalle Tripel might be my favorite beer. Expensive but oh so worth it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm laughing my ass off because I had that first beer over the weekend also. That fruity finish is addictive.

Haha quite the coincidence. Yeah, I'm not much for overly bitter beers, so this one had just the right amount of sweetness to it that it balanced the hops perfectly. I'll probably pick up a second bottle, though I cringe a bit at the price ($11.50).

TheExodu5

Banned
I just improved this Beau's 10 fold by mixing in a tiny bit of Jack Daniels Black and a touch of maple syrup. Terrible, I know...but the beer was boring me. Now it tastes mildly delicious. First time I ever try mixing anything with beer. If ever I stumble upon something disappointing, I might give it a go again.

I'm not sure if the scotch is an improvement, but I'm definitely going to try adding maple to a stout in the future.

TheExodu5

Banned
lol you and your maple syrup. :p

maybe I should try it if I have some boring beer sometime.

Heh, well I tried it with whisky...I figured why not try it with beer. Seems to work pretty well, at least with a stout. I don't expect it would work that well with something too pale.

t-ramp

I bought Sam Adams' summer variety pack today... not a fan of the lemon and blueberry beers. At least I had a Boulevard Irish Ale to end with something less weird.

So I tried the PBR I bought a few weeks ago just for fun, and it's, well... Beer-flavored soda is how I'd describe it. Most non-tasting beer I've ever had.

So I tried the PBR I bought a few weeks ago just for fun, and it's, well... Beer-flavored soda is how I'd describe it. Most non-tasting beer I've ever had.

Eh, it's an American Lager, you know what you're in for when you're picking it up. Drank a million of them in the past and I'll drink them in the future

Eh, it's an American Lager, you know what you're in for when you're picking it up. Drank a million of them in the past and I'll drink them in the future

I've never really had any American Lagers before, partly because they're not really popular over here and because when I started drinking beer about a year ago a friend helped me pick up good ones to get me started and told me which to avoid. But I can see them being good in certain situations though.

have you had coors light?

Not really, I don't think they sell it over here

-KRS-

Oh man. I drank a Chimay Blue a couple of hours ago. Had not had one in a long time now and had forgotten how good it is. After the first sip I actually said out loud "wow, now that's a fucking beer!" So many complex flavors that just blend together perfectly. I enjoyed that over the course of an hour or so and the taste just keeps evolving.

Soon I'll have a Westmalle Tripel which I also haven't had in a long time, but I remember loving it. The two bottles I bought were actually the last two bottles in my whole city. The closest they are available right now is on the other side of the county I live in. Since I'm in Sweden there's only one government-owned store chain to legally buy alcohol over 3.5% ABV, so it's easy to see availability on their website.

Also bought one Rochefort 10 which I have never tried before, but I've heard great things. But I'll save that for tomorrow because it's really strong and I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol haha.

I actually haven't been drinking a lot of beers in a while now and just recently got back into it. I'm still pretty new to the premium beers though. Most of the beers I've had have been cheap lagers and the like.

Oh man. I drank a Chimay Blue a couple of hours ago. Had not had one in a long time now and had forgotten how good it is. After the first sip I actually said out loud "wow, now that's a fucking beer!" So many complex flavors that just blend together perfectly. I enjoyed that over the course of an hour or so and the taste just keeps evolving.

Soon I'll have a Westmalle Tripel which I also haven't had in a long time, but I remember loving it. The two bottles I bought were actually the last two bottles in my whole city. The closest they are available right now is on the other side of the county I live in. Since I'm in Sweden there's only one government-owned store chain to legally buy alcohol over 3.5% ABV, so it's easy to see availability on their website.

Also bought one Rochefort 10 which I have never tried before, but I've heard great things. But I'll save that for tomorrow because it's really strong and I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol haha.

I actually haven't been drinking a lot of beers in a while now and just recently got back into it. I'm still pretty new to the premium beers though. Most of the beers I've had have been cheap lagers and the like.

Rochefort 10... I had one of those about half a year back, and I just saw that I can order them to the store in my town so I might buy a few. For being a government-owned chain store Systembolaget is actually really nice.

-KRS-

Rochefort 10... I had one of those about half a year back, and I just saw that I can order them to the store in my town so I might buy a few. For being a government-owned chain store Systembolaget is actually really nice.

Yes their selection is pretty damn good actually. They have a lot of the really good beers from all over Europe it seems. Even some of the more uncommon ones. It's just that damn high alcohol tax in Sweden that sours it a little, heh. But even with the heavy taxation, the Belgian beers seem to be a little cheaper here than the prices I've seen some here mention they pay in the US for them.

Drinking the Westmalle now actually. It's a little more bitter than the Chimay I think and a bit more dry. And it's not a dark beer obviously. But it's really a damn excellent beer. Very musty taste to it and a bit more hint of the alcohol taste. I'm not good at trying to describe flavors haha.

Seth C

Wasn't in any desperate attempt to get it, so I swung by the biggest liquor store in town today when I was in the neighborhood. No surprise, there was a line yesterday when they opened and they sold through 3 cases of KBS in under an hour. Apparently they just happened to get some Zombie Dust in the same day, which also sold out.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbed 2 KBS today, might be one of the last cases that will be for sale here in Buffalo (the rest all sold out on Monday).

Going to have one tonight, and save one to share with my gf on saturday.

Moppet13

If anyone likes Green Flash and lives in San Diego they are having an event on the 9th to release their new hop odyssey Imperial Red Rye IPA.

codhand

Wasn't in any desperate attempt to get it, so I swung by the biggest liquor store in town today when I was in the neighborhood. No surprise, there was a line yesterday when they opened and they sold through 3 cases of KBS in under an hour. Apparently they just happened to get some Zombie Dust in the same day, which also sold out.

psch, i feel like these situations are getting more and more absurd. it's a high quality problem for the brewers though.

tomorrow's my day to try, gonna casually go over around lunch and see if there's a line or anything crazy, fingers crossed

dekline

You've helped me decide what to drink tonight

ib0P1b8Ub9gON0.jpg

god damn

What a treat.

Yes Boss!

Usually wait till thursday to drink but I've a five day weekend starting Thursday afternoon so I got a four-pack of Aprihop.

Also, heading to Dogfish Head brewery on Friday or Saturday. Can't wait!

B656A67E-6842-41AE-82D3-6CE09800EBE8-11301-00000DEEC0C074CA.jpg

kodt

Banned
Was able to get 1 KBS yesterday, $6.99, better than some places charging $10 a bottle. I saw one place had a 4 pack for $45.99 insane.

A local place said they would reserve some for me if they get it in, I hope they actually get some. I know some stores ended up not getting their allocation.

If you follow me on Untappd, you saw a ton of check-ins last night. Got together with some guys in my neighborhood for a bottle share.

Cantillon -- 100% Organic Kriek
Crux -- On the Fence NWPA
Pelican -- Le Pelican Brun
Hill Farmstead -- Society and Solitude #6 Imperial IPA
The Alchemist -- Heady Topper Imperial IPA
Lawson's Finest Liquids -- Double Sunshine Imperial IPA
Paradox Brewing -- Black and White Project: Paradox of Tao (Belgo Wild Black Ale)
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Dark Heathen Triple Bock
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2010
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2011
Wynkoop Brewing -- Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout (Yep. Ball beer)
Kuhnhenn Brewing --Solar Eclipse Imperial Stout 2010
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Bourbon Barrel Solar Eclipse

Went to South Carolina last weekend and had this for the first time.

[removed]

It's super rich though so I could only drink like one or two every few hours. Tastes sooo good. I don't think they sell it in Virginia :(

codhand

Went to South Carolina last weekend and had this for the first time.

It's super rich though so I could only drink like one or two every few hours. Tastes sooo good. I don't think they sell it in Virginia :(

im gonna have a friend send me some VA beer, anything I should demand?

If you follow me on Untappd, you saw a ton of check-ins last night. Got together with some guys in my neighborhood for a bottle share.

Cantillon -- 100% Organic Kriek
Crux -- On the Fence NWPA
Pelican -- Le Pelican Brun
Hill Farmstead -- Society and Solitude #6 Imperial IPA
The Alchemist -- Heady Topper Imperial IPA
Lawson's Finest Liquids -- Double Sunshine Imperial IPA
Paradox Brewing -- Black and White Project: Paradox of Tao (Belgo Wild Black Ale)
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Dark Heathen Triple Bock
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2010
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2011
Wynkoop Brewing -- Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout (Yep. Ball beer)
Kuhnhenn Brewing --Solar Eclipse Imperial Stout 2010
Kuhnhenn Brewing -- Bourbon Barrel Solar Eclipse

kuhnhenn! amazing stuff. i miss being right down the road from their brewery.

kuhnhenn! amazing stuff. i miss being right down the road from their brewery.

The guy who brought the Kuhnhenn beers has a trading partner who lives a block from the brewery. It was interesting hearing the story of how they started off as a hardware store that happened to have beer.

The Dark Heathen Triple Bock was a mess. Tasted like salty teriyaki sauce.

codhand

The guy who brought the Kuhnhenn beers has a trading partner who lives a block from the brewery. It was interesting hearing the story of how they started off as a hardware store that happened to have beer.

The Dark Heathen Triple Bock was a mess. Tasted like salty teriyaki sauce.

your untappd is insane maine.

i've had four of your "top six beers".

well...wish me luck on KBS, here goes nothing...

i went in and said "do you have you-know-what?"
dude was like it's coming today i swear, we can take your number down and call.

promising!

I have a 2010 Grande Reserve sitting in my cupboard waiting, just waiting until I'm ready to drink it. My plan was to crack it open later this year, not sure yet. Since I'm planning on drinking it this year, I'm probably going to pick up a 2012 or 2013 Grand Reserve to replace it for drinking in a few years time. Or, if I can stop myself, having both might make a nice comparison in another few years. Pity there's no 2011s left to be found, as that would've made for a fun tasting session.

Last night's pickups were:
Mash Collective - Aureus Chrysalis
Feral Brewing - Raging Flem
Rodenbach
Bridge Road - Bling Bling
Red Duck - Gnaume

Half of the ones I picked up have a pretty Belgian bent. Not intentional, but exciting.

Also finished watching Brew Masters yesterday. Not too bad a watch -- like the American Chopper of beer, only ever managed to have one Dogfish Head beer (My Antonia) though, since they're difficult to find in Australia. Any other beer shows worth watching?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it as good as they say? Did you drink from the can as directed by the can?

Just curious. I would love to try heady.

They don't tell you to drink from the can for any sensory reasons. Kimmich just thought it was cool.

Top Bottom