• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

Are they going to set a limit on how much you can buy? Judging by what I've seen over at the BA forum it's either a case or nothing.

yep, individual bottles at the place I know of....theyre are undecided on limit, which means theyre gonna try to wing it, which sounds like a bad idea.

dekline

yep, individual bottles at the place I know of....theyre are undecided on limit, which means theyre gonna try to wing it, which sounds like a bad idea.

Selling it by the bottle? ouch. How much are they going to charge per bottle?

Either way you better get there first.

codhand

Selling it by the bottle? ouch. How much are they going to charge per bottle?

Either way you better get there first.

I told them I'd try not to be a crazy person, I have a lot of undrank beers, unopened blu rays and unplayed games, so it wouldnt be the end of the world

but breakfast stout is so damn good!

dekline

I told them I'd try not to be a crazy person, I have a lot of undrank beers, unopened blu rays and unplayed games, so it wouldnt be the end of the world

but breakfast stout is so damn good!

It's one of the best brews I've had for sure.

kodt

Banned
Who's had 2013 KBS? It's out today across Founder's distribution footprint. I'm in Indiana and am hoping to get some this weekend!

KBS_on_barrel-749x1000.jpg

Hoping I can track some down. A friend from Michigan said he got 2 bottles, so I may be able to share one at least. Hoping a local store gets some in. Most places in my area tweet when it comes in and it sells out in a few hours while I am still at work.

Who's had 2013 KBS? It's out today across Founder's distribution footprint. I'm in Indiana and am hoping to get some this weekend!

Getting a 4 pack this week as part of a Founders incentive our company had. Then have a few KBS events at some of my accounts. I am excite.

PG2G

Curieux is probably one of my favorite beers of all time. It is what made me interested in good beer. I still use it to introduce people, it is much more accessible than... barrel aged anything else.

andymcc

Banned
A flight of Brooklyn's There Will Be Black, Country Boy's Knotty Pine IIPA, Avery White Rascal, and 3 Floyd's Gumballhead.

Now, it's that time of night. Choose my beer at the next bar!

Their tap list:

Schlafly Pilsner, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Green Flash Grand Cru, Great Lakes Friendship Brew, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, Left Hand Milk Stout nitro, Southern Tier 2X Stout, Flying Dog Underdog Lager, Unibroue Maudite, Founders Centennial IPA, Schneider Aventinus

Choose the Pilsner and I kill you.

if this photo is in lexington, kentucky you and i have a mutual friend.

The only place near me that sells it sold out in an hour this morning. Gah, don't people have jobs??

I always wonder about that on the Northwest forums at Beer Advocate. Who can just show up at a bottle shop or bar whenever they feel like it in the middle of the day?

Well, my Dad can, since he's retired, but most people who post there are in their 20s/30s.

Seth C

So I was in Louisville to see Grizzly Bear. After a great show I took some friends to Nachbar and had Yeast Series 2.0: Brettanomyces Lambicus from Mikkeler.

After that I had Black Mamba from Microbrasserie Sainte-Hélène, which was one of the best beers I've ever had in my entire life.

An English stout with citra and simcoe. Heaven on mine tongue.

Is that Al's Bar? I've only been there a handful of times (and can barely remember the place because i was too fucking drunk)

Also, if that's Al's, that's where I met the pictured girl. :p

That is not Al's Bar, though said girl hangs out there frequently! But no, that picture was at Country Boy before heading to Beerworks. In fact, the same girl was with me (and another friend) on our adventure tonight to see Grizzly Bear and drink some beer in Louisville.

Also, my Curieux was bottled February 23, 2012 so I suppose I'll let it age!

strata8

I think you've got it twisted ;)

This isn't the build-your-tolerance-to-whiskey-thread, it's where we share experiences about the enjoyment of craft beers, consumed in moderation.

or to put it more simply

Thanks a bunch for the patronising reply.

I don't want to binge, I just want to be able to actually enjoy beer (or any sort of alcoholic beverage) without feeling like I want to vomit.

t-ramp

I don't want to binge, I just want to be able to actually enjoy beer (or any sort of alcoholic beverage) without feeling like I want to vomit.
Beer is a lot different than harder liquors. Don't assume you'll have a hard time drinking it.

codhand

hey, sorry. you did say you were "gagging and shuddering" from 1.3 drinks though,
a good suggestion is to try a beer from this very thread and see if you like it, another suggestion is to wait until you're 21 years old, unless you're living in Poland or something.

kodt

Banned
I always wonder about that on the Northwest forums at Beer Advocate. Who can just show up at a bottle shop or bar whenever they feel like it in the middle of the day?

Well, my Dad can, since he's retired, but most people who post there are in their 20s/30s.

Apparently there are people who figure out where the delivery truck is and literally follow it from store to store trying to buy out KBS.

I hate watching Twitter feeds of some popular liquor stores, they tweet they got something in around 1 or 2 pm, by 3 or 4 pm they tweet that it is all gone, just lame why aren't these people at work? Or do they take sick days in anticipation... it's really quite insane.

Apparently there are people who figure out where the delivery truck is and literally follow it from store to store trying to buy out KBS.

I hate watching Twitter feeds of some popular liquor stores, they tweet they got something in around 1 or 2 pm, by 3 or 4 pm they tweet that it is all gone, just lame why aren't these people at work? Or do they take sick days in anticipation... it's really quite insane.

Not everyone has a M-F 9-5 job. Even then, I don't think I'd be that guy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We don't have this problem in San Diego.

Because we don't get Founders =V

Although, I've had KBS on tap in San Diego before at the WBC when Founders had a temporary distro license. Its funny because nobody knows what Founders even is in San Diego so the place that had a keg of KBS had plenty of it.

We don't have this problem in San Diego.

Because we don't get Founders =V

Although, I've had KBS on tap in San Diego before at the WBC when Founders had a temporary distro license. Its funny because nobody knows what Founders even is in San Diego so the place that had a keg of KBS had plenty of it.

We don't get Founders in WA, but we have this problem with other beers. I'm sure you have it with certain things down in CA. Peche and Brett lasted on shelves for all of 25 minutes up here. The only reason I got a bottle was that I'm a regular at my local shop and they held the last bottle for me after I called about it.

Going to a tasting tomorrow night at a neighbor's place. Heady Topper, Double Sunshine, Society & Solitude 6, some Kuhnhenn bottles, plus some Cantillon and Crux bottles I'm bringing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We don't get Founders in WA, but we have this problem with other beers. I'm sure you have it with certain things down in CA. Peche and Brett lasted on shelves for all of 25 minutes up here. The only reason I got a bottle was that I'm a regular at my local shop and they held the last bottle for me after I called about it.

Other than PTY I can't think of one.

PG2G

Other than PTY I can't think of one.

Alpine's IPAs are near impossible to get outside of the brewery.
Then there is stuff even crazier like Kern River's Citra and some of their other IPAs.
People stalked for Enjoy By 4.01.2013 according to the guy at my local BevMo.

Alpine's IPAs are near impossible to get outside of the brewery.
Then there is stuff even crazier like Kern River's Citra and some of their other IPAs.
People stalked for Enjoy By 4.01.2013 according to the guy at my local BevMo.

The stories I hear on BA about Kern Citra releases are insane.

Angry Grimace

The stories I hear on BA about Kern Citra releases are insane.

Look on a map where Kern River Brewing Company is.

I don't think breweries literally in the middle of an unpopulated forest that practically don't distribute off-site are particularly good comparisons to Founders and Bells which distributes all over the Midwest.

Angry Grimace

I know it's isolated and in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't make the stories any less ridicukous.

It makes it a bad comparison to Founders, Bells or Three Floyds; they don't really distribute off site in the first place, so its not really the same thing.

Just a quick post to warn everyone not to go anywhere near this beer

beer_136562.jpg

The hardened bits of yeast around the rim of the bottle were an early clue that all was not well, and it was little surprise to find that the beer itself was sour, acidic and quite clearly infected. Judging by the reviews on RateBeer this wasn't a one off, as there are numerous reports of people getting infected bottles.

I have yet to find a particularly competent Spanish brew, but this was definitely the worst of the bunch so far.

the only thing i've wanted that i haven't been able to just walk in and grab was alpine, and when i got to the brewery i understood why i couldn't get it. the place is tiny.

pliny, enjoy by, firestone's reserve releases...all sitting there on the shelf/cooler. and i'm not even in san diego.

i love KBS as much as the next guy, but the release-frenzy is a bit much.

the only thing i've wanted that i haven't been able to just walk in and grab was alpine, and when i got to the brewery i understood why i couldn't get it. the place is tiny.

pliny, enjoy by, firestone's reserve releases...all sitting there on the shelf/cooler. and i'm not even in san diego.

i love KBS as much as the next guy, but the release-frenzy is a bit much.

Grimace did bring up a good point. The stuff that undergoes a massive frenzy and race to acquire in the midwest is primarily distributed on a large scale (Bells, Founders, Goose Island, etc.). The stuff that is harder to find on the west coast is actually hard to find and has a small distribution footprint, if it's even available outside the brewery.

PG2G

I'm in LA and you are pretty lucky if you're finding pliny just sitting there. It happens, but if you really want a bottle you need to know what day your liquor store gets their Russian River deliveries and even then there will be a 1-2 bottle limit.

I think a big difference is our highly sought after beers are typically brewed year round instead of one time, so if you don't get your bottle of whatever this week you can always have another chance in a week or two.

Angry Grimace

I'm in LA and you are pretty lucky if you're finding pliny just sitting there. It happens, but if you really want a bottle you need to know what day your liquor store gets their Russian River deliveries and even then there will be a 1-2 bottle limit.

I think a big difference is our highly sought after beers are typically brewed year round instead of one time, so if you don't get your bottle of whatever this week you can always have another chance in a week or two.

I don't know if there's an actual intent there; I know that Ballast Point went out of their way to just make crazy amounts of Sculpin rather than focus on anything rarer (which do exist, they make tons and tons of beer styles; they just don't release many of them outside of the facility).

Snagged two bottles. My local shop received three cases and sold out in less than 20 minutes with a 2 bottle per customer limit.

Will drink one and cellar the other... :)

Might not seem like much, but none of these are available in Connecticut. =)
I really would like to hear another opinion on that Bar Harbor beer. I've had that (and the other two they make) a few times in Bar Harbor, and I remember thinking it was pretty miserable.

But I feel bad because it's the only brewery on that amazing island.

codhand

I grabbed it quick to make it eligible for the pick six discount, I was parked illegally. The Bar Harbor was actually a Brown Ale, which gave me a sad face when I got home and noticed, but it turned out to be a good beer. I'd drink it over Newcastle, and would like to try another beer from them, thumbs up, but nothing special.

TheExodu5

Banned
Picked this up over the weekend without really knowing what it was:

Samichlaus Classic

I thought, "Hey a 14% beer? Sounds awful, but what the hell". Little did I know that I would be drinking one of the best beers I've ever had. So much complexity and such an incredible aroma. Apparently it's a bit of a rarer beer as it's only brewed once a year on December 6th.

I'm going to head back next weekend to pick up several. I would hate to never have the opportunity to try this beer again.

Top Bottom