• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Tried Shiner Bock. God this thing is amazing. This is what I want in a Beer. I drank 3 in a single sitting.

Tried Abita Purple Haze and hated it. I hate raspberry,

WsyCj8F.jpg
Checked out a new growler fill station in Albany, OR, today, and other than trying a bunch of great stuff, they also have 500 different bottles for sale in the back. Dear lord ...

If anyone in the PNW comes across Full Sail's Bourbon Barrel Red on tap, jump on it. That stuff is tremendous, and allegedly only made in very small quantities.

PNW folks, how is Fremont Street Brewing? I was notified that my local is going to be carrying them soon.

Tried Shiner Bock. God this thing is amazing. This is what I want in a Beer. I drank 3 in a single sitting.

Yup, a fine Texas beer. Lone Star isn't bad, either. North Texas was populated by many German immigrants back in the day, so there's a long history of beer brewing there.

HiResDes

Checked out a new growler fill station in Albany, OR, today, and other than trying a bunch of great stuff, they also have 500 different bottles for sale in the back. Dear lord ...

If anyone in the PNW comes across Full Sail's Bourbon Barrel Red on tap, jump on it. That stuff is tremendous, and allegedly only made in very small quantities.
Wasn't feeling the chai when I tried it last year at all

PNW folks, how is Fremont Brewing I was notified that my local is going to be carrying them soon.

Fixed that for you.

Most people lose their mind for their barrel aged beers (which come out in the late Fall) but Year-round Session Pale is one of my favorite beers. Hands down.

Their Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop (another Fall beer) is god-tier.

I think you mean Fremont brewing; saw on Twitter they are expanding their reach to SoCal.

They are one of the best in Seattle/PNW.

Fixed that for you.

Most people lose their mind for their barrel aged beers (which come out in the late Fall) but Year-round Session Pale is one of my favorite beers. Hands down.

Their Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop (another Fall beer) is god-tier.

Ah sorry, that's what the store called them. That's exciting then. They're having a tap day next week, so looking forward to that.

Lomaland is one of my least favorites from them but then again I'm not too big on saisons. Booming Rollers is just around the corner. Pick that up instead, it's one of my favorite rotating cans they have.

Oh, and apparently Booming Rollers will be in stock also, so Lotto I'll give Modern Times one more chance, you'd better be right about this one!

Jarnet87

Most of the Total Wines in Florida (may be the entire state) got a bunch of Surly Beers in this past week or two. Surly Coffee Bender, Todd The Axe Man, Furious, Xtra Citra, and Helles Lager. Grabbed a 4 pack of Todd, Furious and Xtra Citra all about 3 weeks from the canned date. Unfortunately these aren't permanent but it's cool to see the stores get this stuff. I have seen us get Clown Shoes, 21st Amendment (both of which we now get distributed so maybe there is hope yet lol) Alesmith, Ninkasi and now Surly.

Grabbed two bombers of Double Barrel Jesus tonight (one for tonight, and one to stash) and a four pack of cans of Yin/Yang by Evil Twin. I like that the can packs are cheaper and they give you two of each to make black and tans with.

And yeeeesh, forgot how hard these heavy BBA stouts hit me. Same ABV as regular Jesus, but it hits me harder for some reason.

Grabbed two bombers of Double Barrel Jesus tonight (one for tonight, and one to stash) and a four pack of cans of Yin/Yang by Evil Twin. I like that the can packs are cheaper and they give you two of each to make black and tans with.

And yeeeesh, forgot how hard these heavy BBA stouts hit me. Same ABV as regular Jesus, but it hits me harder for some reason.

Are they required to do some kind of FDA testing to print an accurate ABV? Because I talked to the owner of a bar in town who gets a lot of limited brews, and they said the brewers usually just guess at the ABV. I'm sure it's different for regular distribution beers, but I wonder if even limited bottling beers are kinda guessed at.

I was at Whole Foods today here in SoCal and they had Founders six packs on the floor as a display item. I know that can't be cheap, Founders must have some money behind them or something.

Are they required to do some kind of FDA testing to print an accurate ABV? Because I talked to the owner of a bar in town who gets a lot of limited brews, and they said the brewers usually just guess at the ABV. I'm sure it's different for regular distribution beers, but I wonder if even limited bottling beers are kinda guessed at.

I was at Whole Foods today here in SoCal and they had Founders six packs on the floor as a display item. I know that can't be cheap, Founders must have some money behind them or something.

Labeling laws vary by state, and it's usually only required if it's over a certain ABV (if at all, and usually more than what is in something like a Budweiser, since they don't want to deal with that). As far as accuracy, it's pretty easy to get calculate within a half a percent or so, and if you try at all, you can be pretty accurate down to .1%. Barrel aging might add a little more wiggle room depending on the amount of booze left in the barrel, but not that much. I'm sure there are some brewers out there who just don't care, but all the ones I know are pretty intense with record keeping and calculations.

As far as I understand, anything that gets packaged and distributed has to get their label approved, but I don't think that applies for one off kegs or something sold over the bar at a brewery.

Edit: Sorry if I come off a bit defensive on this, but there's a homebrewing bill going through our state legislature and I had to hear over and over that "there's no way to tell how much alcohol is in home brew" from an intentionally misleading group of neo-prohibitionists and it was incredibly frustrating.

Labeling laws vary by state, and it's usually only required if it's over a certain ABV (if at all, and usually more than what is in something like a Budweiser, since they don't want to deal with that). As far as accuracy, it's pretty easy to get calculate within a half a percent or so, and if you try at all, you can be pretty accurate down to .1%. Barrel aging might add a little more wiggle room depending on the amount of booze left in the barrel, but not that much. I'm sure there are some brewers out there who just don't care, but all the ones I know are pretty intense with record keeping and calculations.

Fremont got a new fancy lab this past year and found out that their KDS and Bbomb bombers were about 3% higher in ABV than they had previously thought. Whoops.

Edit: Sorry if I come off a bit defensive on this, but there's a homebrewing bill going through our state legislature and I had to hear over and over that "there's no way to tell how much alcohol is in home brew" from an intentionally misleading group of neo-prohibitionists and it was incredibly frustrating.

Nah didn't sound defensive at all, very informative actually. Thanks. Good luck with the Puritans.

riotous

Banned
Fremont got a new fancy lab this past year and found out that their KDS and Bbomb bombers were about 3% higher in ABV than they had previously thought. Whoops.

LOL, nice.

How crazy do you expect Holy Mountain to be Saturday morning? Any recommendation on when to get there for God's Hand or whatever?

LOL, nice.

How crazy do you expect Holy Mountain to be Saturday morning? Any recommendation on when to get there for God's Hand or whatever?

Depends on what the third beer announced is (Midnight Still was bottled a while back, but nothing announced yet), but I'm guessing get there by 9 or 10 and you should be fine. I'm not planning on going.

riotous

Banned
Depends on what the third beer announced is (Midnight Still was bottled a while back, but nothing announced yet), but I'm guessing get there by 9 or 10 and you should be fine. I'm not planning on going.

Cool; PM me after the third beer announced if you want me to grab you anything I easily can. I'll be with my wife and not planning on getting the limit or anything like that.

Cool; PM me after the third beer announced if you want me to grab you anything I easily can. I'll be with my wife and not planning on getting the limit or anything like that.

Thanks, man. I'll let you know. Nothing interests much right now, maybe that Monkish honey saison collab.

My haul today. That Older Viscosity ain't cheap, but it's in my Top 5. Probably 2nd favorite. Looking forward to trying the Fremonts.

Never had that Liquid Double Fudge, but it was cheap for an EvilTwin bomber. Like $7.50 cheap.

Went to St. Arnolds brewery yesterday! Was pretty cool. I was shocked to see the owner himself gave us the Tour. I figured it'd be some random employee, not Brock Wagner himself. He seemed like a nice guy too and was very passionate about beer. Was super crowded (they had a giant cafeteria type place and it was literally full to the brim) despite the heavy rain. Got to try a new beer, the Icon Blue. Was pretty awesome. Had a banana milkshake flavor to it.

Mitch

Banned
Went to St. Arnolds brewery yesterday! Was pretty cool. I was shocked to see the owner himself gave us the Tour. I figured it'd be some random employee, not Brock Wagner himself. He seemed like a nice guy too and was very passionate about beer. Was super crowded (they had a giant cafeteria type place and it was literally full to the brim) despite the heavy rain. Got to try a new beer, the Icon Blue. Was pretty awesome. Had a banana milkshake flavor to it.
Favorite Houston brewery! Absolutely love their beerhall. The tours are short but pretty informative. Been on a couple.

Their food selection is actually decent as well. Pretty damn good chefs.

Chris R

Favorite Houston brewery! Absolutely love their beerhall. The tours are short but pretty informative. Been on a couple.

Their food selection is actually decent as well. Pretty damn good chefs.

Well I know what I'm doing when I'm in Houston in April........

The Booming Rollers was pretty good. Nice balance of fruit and bitter with the citra hops, and creamy mouthfeel.

The Eviltwin Liquid Double Fudge Imperial Stout was alright. It was pretty boozy, but not in a balanced way. Very rich, but the alcohol burn just makes it not something I'd pick up again.

Mitch

Banned
Well I know what I'm doing when I'm in Houston in April........
I would definitely make St. Arnold your first stop, especially during lunch. They have a killer special that gives you a couple courses of house made deliciousness and a beer. Comes out to $20 or so, but it's definitely worth it.

Depending on how much time you have, you should also check out Brash Brewing. If the weather is nice, make Axelrad another stop.

Chris R

I would definitely make St. Arnold your first stop, especially during lunch. They have a killer special that gives you a couple courses of house made deliciousness and a beer. Comes out to $20 or so, but it's definitely worth it.

Depending on how much time you have, you should also check out Brash Brewing. If the weather is nice, make Axelrad another stop.

Be sure to get there early. It gets very busy and parking can be a pain.

Only in town for ~18 hours, so Brash Brewing is out of the running. Might hit the beer garden though before the baseball game.

Hunahpu's Day was pretty fun. Think I want to put more effort into being there and getting around to the other local breweries if I go next year as well though. Green Bench was my favorite of the ones I got to and I really wish I bought a case of their Sleeping Dragon colab. Was some really really good mead there as well (at the event) and it's something I haven't tried very much of.

Only regret was spending the first hour and a half in a line for something I was excited for. Didn't want to wait for a "whale" since I don't really have them, but a number of the things I really wanted to try were in those massive lines. Glad I got to try the Scoop a la Mode, but dealing with all the line cutters and general jerkness of other people made it less worth it for me. On top of it being the smallest pour of anything that I had all day. Well I learned my lesson
even if it made me butthurt to see the same group of people that lines didn't apply to come and go with the stuff from other places that I knew I wouldn't get to try either.

Lotto

The Booming Rollers was pretty good. Nice balance of fruit and bitter with the citra hops, and creamy mouthfeel.

Glad you liked it. Modern Times seems to be going crazy with how many new releases they have but Booming Rollers time is one of my favorite times of the year. Such a solid Citra beer, one of my favorite hops.

Glad you liked it. Modern Times seems to be going crazy with how many new releases they have but Booming Rollers time is one of my favorite times of the year. Such a solid Citra beer, one of my favorite hops.

Yeah, appreciate the tip. I'm drinking the Fremont Lush IPA right now and actually like Booming Rollers better. Any others of the Modern Times I should check out?

Mitch

Banned
Hunahpu's Day was pretty fun. Think I want to put more effort into being there and getting around to the other local breweries if I go next year as well though. Green Bench was my favorite of the ones I got to and I really wish I bought a case of their Sleeping Dragon colab. Was some really really good mead there as well (at the event) and it's something I haven't tried very much of.

Only regret was spending the first hour and a half in a line for something I was excited for. Didn't want to wait for a "whale" since I don't really have them, but a number of the things I really wanted to try were in those massive lines. Glad I got to try the Scoop a la Mode, but dealing with all the line cutters and general jerkness of other people made it less worth it for me. On top of it being the smallest pour of anything that I had all day. Well I learned my lesson
even if it made me butthurt to see the same group of people that lines didn't apply to come and go with the stuff from other places that I knew I wouldn't get to try either.
People who cut in line are such deplorable jerk offs.

There's a couple people who do it every single time at Hoof releases. I know it's a ticketed event, but you have people who show up at 10AM to get a decent spot in line for glasses, growler fills or to get out ASAP. Without fail, the same lady and her crew roll on up around 11:50 and go right up to the front of the line.

The same people refuse to participate in the bottle share as well. Which is fine and all, but they expect to get samples from the main share without sharing any of what they have.

ccbfan

The Eviltwin Liquid Double Fudge Imperial Stout was alright. It was pretty boozy, but not in a balanced way. Very rich, but the alcohol burn just makes it not something I'd pick up again.

Pretty much the story with Eviltwin, every high abv thing they bring out (and they bring out a lot) are boozy as hell. I always try to like they since they're pretty cheap but I gave up after many failures.

Lotto

Yeah, appreciate the tip. I'm drinking the Fremont Lush IPA right now and actually like Booming Rollers better. Any others of the Modern Times I should check out?

City of the Sun was always a favorite of mine as well but the season for it has already passed. They've got a ton of new stuff in their line up that I haven't had the chance to try yet though, mostly in 22oz bombers. Plan to head to the tasting room sometime and try them all out, just don't know when. They're always so weird with their names but I like that they have good descriptions on the label of what's actually in their beer.

Release calendar: http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/release-calendar

Jarnet87

I have been wanting to do Hunahpu Day and eventually will, just haven't gotten around to planning it out. Ideally I would get there a day early to check out Angry Chair and Cycle. Not exactly cheap with the ticket, plus hotel for 2 nights and other expenses.

Everyone who went to Wakefest said it was great this year. It was at a much bigger venue so almost no waits for any beer.

Tried the Fremont Interurban IPA last night and quite enjoyed it. Seemed like there was an extra dose of malt which softened the bitterness. Liked it more than the Lush.

Tried the Fremont Interurban IPA last night and quite enjoyed it. Seemed like there was an extra dose of malt which softened the bitterness. Liked it more than the Lush.

Interurban is much more sublte than Lush. I feel like a lot of Lush's in your face character comes from the Citra hops.

JLG-

Anyone have experience in beer trading? Where is a good place to trade?

I have some Pliny The Elder i'm willing to trade for some 3 floyds, trillium, or treehouse beers.

Jarnet87

I have some Pliny The Elder i'm willing to trade for some 3 floyds, trillium, or treehouse beers.

I do all my trading on Beer Advocate. No real issues so far and the community does try to call out and warn others on bad traders who burn people. As a new trader you will likely have to ship your stuff first but that changes after a couple trades. If you have any questions about trading on there let me know.

My only complaint about the trading set up on BA is that you cannot reply to people's posts and there isn't any way to publicly tell people their demands are out of whack.

You should be able to do a trade for some Three Floyds pretty easy. Trillium might be possible since some stuff hits retail, but Treehouse traders are fucking ridiculous and will probably scoff at your Pliny.

Top Bottom