• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Interurban is much more sublte than Lush. I feel like a lot of Lush's in your face character comes from the Citra hops.

I like Citra hops, but didn't feel like Lush balanced the fruit and bitterness as well as say Booming Rollers. Maybe it was my incorrect expectations because it's named Lush.

codhand

Tree House's trade value is just a matter of supply and demand.

If there's something to blame it's the beer scene's focus of hyping IPAs.

And Trillium is just for people who went to Tree House but everything was sold out.

Tree House's trade value is just a matter of supply and demand.

If there's something to blame it's the beer scene's focus of hyping IPAs.

And Trillium is just for people who went to Tree House but everything was sold out.

The secondary market has made beer less fun. I don't trade and I'm still impacted by it.

I still think Trillium makes good stuff, and it's actually possible for my wife to obtain when she goes to Boston. Nighshift shouldn't be ignored if you want NE hops, too. I think Morph, Whirlpool and the One Hop This Time series are all great.

JLG-

I do all my trading on Beer Advocate. No real issues so far and the community does try to call out and warn others on bad traders who burn people. As a new trader you will likely have to ship your stuff first but that changes after a couple trades. If you have any questions about trading on there let me know.

Apparently i have to wait 30 days before i can start trading. :\

Is there anywhere where i can just straight up buy it online?

Jarnet87

Apparently i have to wait 30 days before i can start trading. :

Is there anywhere where i can just straight up buy it online?

Mybeercollectibles.com

No idea how reputable it is and prices are outrageous. People selling 4 cans of Treehouse for 40-50 bucks plus shipping. Stouts selling for 3-4 times their retail price.

Mybeercollectibles.com

No idea how reputable it is and prices are outrageous. People selling 4 cans of Treehouse for 40-50 bucks plus shipping. Stouts selling for 3-4 times their retail price.

It's reputable. And people are sadly paying it. Stop encouraging shitlord behavior, people.

Jarnet87

Yeah for Treehouse that's about it. Maybe you could find a place in Boston that gets Trillium and has an online store that ships? Not really sure. There are online retailers who sell 3 Floyds like craft beer temple but no idea if they ship outside of the state. The shipping sometimes cost almost as much as the beer lol. I was going to buy a couple Surly 4 packs from france44 which came out to like 25, and then the shipping was like 20.

ccbfan

Anyone have experience in beer trading? Where is a good place to trade?

I have some Pliny The Elder i'm willing to trade for some 3 floyds, trillium, or treehouse beers.

What kind of trillium are you looking for? I have some Melcher street and might be able get some others.

I never had Pliny and wouldn't mind trying some.

ccbfan

Mybeercollectibles.com

That's pretty crazy considering treehouse is not hard to get as long a you're willing to wait half an hour in line at the brewery.

IMO trillium is better. I make keep monthly runs to canton and stock up. (Max you should keep a New England IPA)

Maine is my fav around here. You can get lunch on tap frequently at beer pubs.

ShinAmano

My beer collectibles is one year old or more bottles I believe. There are a number of Facebook groups for buying and selling...but like dementia said it is really a shit show...see anabis...just dropped in St Louis today...already people asking 600$ for a bottle...same with bottle logic fundamental forces.

That said anyone want to trade I am game...va local and tons of stuff in the cellar.

Lotto

My friend uses /r/beertrade/ with good success but he mostly does in-person/local trades. It's how I've been able to try a bunch of northeast/midwest stuff. I haven't personally used it but they also moderate it well and call out any bad traders afaik.

Edit: I forgot how inaccessible the terminology is over there. Partly why I never bothered to trade because it just became stupid trying to keep up with all the abbreviations (even though they do have somewhat of a glossary/guide in the useful links section.)

Mitch

Banned
My girlfriend and I use /r/beertrade. She also uses one or two FB groups.

A friend of ours pays $25+ for cans of Monkish and a few other well known breweries. Pretty ridiculous.

riotous

Banned
I looked at the ISO's for Holy Mountain Hand of Glory since I did get a few; definitely some stuff I'm interested in, but for whatever reason I'm not motivated to go through with it.

I looked at the ISO's for Holy Mountain Hand of Glory since I did get a few; definitely some stuff I'm interested in, but for whatever reason I'm not motivated to go through with it.

Just drink them and enjoy them. Honestly they're just as good or better than whatever you'd get in return, and this way you don't spend any money on shipping.

You know all this, but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.

riotous

Banned
Yeah paying for shipping, risking things breaking or getting lost or just getting a beer that doesn't travel well, etc.,etc.

Should age really well too, so can keep them for years.

Jarnet87

FT: TH
ISO: Big stouts

Just needs the right set of eyes.

Pretty much lol, but I was fine doing trades like this. Honestly I don't trade much these days, only to one or two traders on BA I am friendly with and ask for requests. I consider South FL beer drinkers extremely lucky now that Civil Society and J Wakefield are making killer IPAs. Funky Buddha covers stouts and odd beers and continues to be easier and easier to get down here. Wakefield you have to put in some time for the big releases but they make great stouts and sours as well. Compare this to like 12-18 months ago and the IPA game here was severely lacking

Yeah, WA is pretty covered.

BIG BEER HYPE CHECKLIST:
Hazy IPAs? Holy Mountain, Structures, Skookum, Reubens, Cloudburst and Fremont.
Barrel Aged Stouts and Barleywines? Fremont, Holy Mountain and Reubens.
Sours/Mixed Fermentation? Holy Mountain, Engine House No. 9, Structures and Urban Family. And Floodland in the Fall.

If I lived in a wasteland without access to good beer I could see the appeal of chasing the new shiny offerings, but there's no need to. If I'm traveling I will always love checking out the local scene and bringing some stuff home, but that's about it.

Yeah, WA is pretty covered.

BIG BEER HYPE CHECKLIST:
Hazy IPAs? Holy Mountain, Structures, Skookum, Reubens, Cloudburst and Fremont.
Barrel Aged Stouts and Barleywines? Fremont, Holy Mountain and Reubens.
Sours/Mixed Fermentation? Holy Mountain, Engine House No. 9 and Urban Family. And Floodlands in the Fall.

If I lived in a wasteland without access to good beer I could see the appeal of chasing the new shiny offerings, but there's no need to. If I'm traveling I will always love checking out the local scene and bringing some stuff home, but that's about it.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel here in SoCal. I always love trying beers from other regions/countries, but there's such a rich local scene that I'm spoiled for choice at this point. In fact I'm starting to wonder how much room is left for new breweries.

We're starting to see breweries go out of business or be purchased by other breweries up here. Pacific Malting and Brewing in Tacoma purchased American Brewing in Edmonds, and Odin Brewing in Tukwila bought Hilliards in Seattle.

Modern Times is doing a good job of finding a place in the Seattle beer market, but lots of other breweries not from WA or OR have not done so well trying to start distribution in the region.

Couldn't find Booming Rollers today, but I was given a strong recommendation on Firestone's Leo vs. Ursus IPA. Supposed to be an unfiltered Imperial. Sounds promising.

Has anyone tried Grimm beers? My local is now sourcing some. A couple bombers, like the Sumi Zest (Imperial Stout with orange zest and vanilla) which sounds interesting.

HiResDes

Couldn't find Booming Rollers today, but I was given a strong recommendation on Firestone's Leo vs. Ursus IPA. Supposed to be an unfiltered Imperial. Sounds promising.

Has anyone tried Grimm beers? My local is now sourcing some. A couple bombers, like the Sumi Zest (Imperial Stout with orange zest and vanilla) which sounds interesting.
Had BBA Double Negative, it's bomb, just a little thin

Jarnet87

I bought a Grimm Sour a couple weeks back but have not opened it yet. There are two shops near me that get their Sours and some of their stouts.

One thing I love abut beers: low alcohol, %. I can drink one or two and not feel buzzed. Nothing like coming home after a long day at work and cracking open a cold one.

Had BBA Double Negative, it's bomb, just a little thin

Cool, I'll keep a lookout.

One thing I love abut beers: low alcohol, %. I can drink one or two and not feel buzzed. Nothing like coming home after a long day at work and cracking open a cold one.

My 12% Imperial Stout (Even More Jesus) I'm drinking right now would disagree with that statement. But session beers (low alcohol) are certainly good too.

Long weekend. Got a group D ticket for Dark Lord day. Not even sure how I would get better since me and a few friends had like 15 things up and running trying to get tickets and that is what we ended up with. Who knows if I'll even get a variant with how they are doing it this year, but whatever, I'm excited to go to my first Dark Lord day.

I'm with you. I like drinking a heavy hitter from time to time, but low ABV sessionable beers are fantastic.

HiResDes

Auction muling is irritating, just seen this posted in two places simultaneously:

Ti9l6qL.png

ACE 1991

Had my first few glasses of Pliny the Elder the other night. I know it's incredibly over-hyped, but god damn is it a hell of an IPA.

On a hot day I love a good floral saison, nothing too sweet. Sometimes a berliner or gose.
Or a nice hefeweizen, though the American craft scene often seems to ignore the style.

riotous

Banned
I usually carry a flask of bourbon in the summer for any day/outdoor drinking.. so my beer habits don't change much.

On a hot day I love a good floral saison, nothing too sweet. Sometimes a berliner or gose.
Or a nice hefeweizen, though the American craft scene often seems to ignore the style.

Love a good German hefe when it's hot. Most American micros ignore them because they don't use the right yeast and they end up shit. Don't think I've had a decent hefe from an American brewery or if I have it wasn't too memorable.

Love a good German hefe when it's hot. Most American micros ignore them because they don't use the right yeast and they end up shit. Don't think I've had a decent hefe from an American brewery or if I have it wasn't too memorable.

The only American hefe I really love is the Craftsman Heavenly Hefe. Crisp and refreshing, no banana flavor overload like so many hefes, but with a bit of citrus thing going on.

I don't think Craftsman bottles, tap only, probably only available in SoCal (they're in Pasadena). Weird brewery, might just be one guy. Heard he's a bit of an oddball, selective about who he gives taps to, but the beer is good. They've been around for longer than most of the LA breweries, so he kinda missed out on the craft explosion by not bottling.

Top Bottom