• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Just got home from Holy Mountain. Their collaboration with Tired Hands was tapped today.

A pilsner.

A fucking awesome oak aged pilsner with French hops (Tardif de Bourgogne) grown in the Yakima valley.

Still love the irony of it all.

Mitch

Banned
KBS is this weekend right? I am of the mind to not give a shit this year. The last two years were good, but not great. And is it worth the drama and seeing the crazies come out for it?
KBS should be hitting bars/shelves in CLE within the next 1-2 weeks IIRC. Last year I had no problem getting any. I had one on draft during release week, bought a single bottle a week later and then another draft in July during a special anniversary.

Not something I'll go nuts over.

Just got home from Holy Mountain. Their collaboration with Tired Hands was tapped today.

A pilsner.

A fucking awesome oak aged pilsner with French hops (Tardif de Bourgogne) grown in the Yakima valley.

Still love the irony of it all.
I need more pilsners in my life. Sounds fantastic.

H3xum

So I am traveling to the Columbus area later this evening and will be there throughout the weekend.

Any Columbus beer/GAF have any recommendations?

KBS is this weekend right? I am of the mind to not give a shit this year. The last two years were good, but not great. And is it worth the drama and seeing the crazies come out for it?

I live near Founders and have had this on tap and in a 750 and a few bottles. It is great, but, I don't understand the hype.

KBS is about the only thing around here that people go fucking bonkers over. Driving store to store with all their girlfriends to clean places out, etc. I don't get it either. It's good. Not THAT good. Shit, you waste more in gas than it costs to get the beer.

I'm more interested in the other things that will be at the events near me for it. Wish I could make churchkey tomorrow for theirs since they have a few things I want to try that will not be at the Rustico event on the 4th. Like 3 other bourbon and maple things and Blushing Monk. Still haven't found a raspberry beer that measures up to New Glarus's.

Also, good god at the other Churchkey events this month. Thought Hills farmstead was an April fools joke, but then there are also 3 days later on in a row with a certifiable fuckload of quality. Like I don't even know where to start.

riotous

Banned
I'm happy KBS is coming here but from the one bottle I tried last year it's not even my favorite of the style; maybe top 5 (BA coffee stout.)

Sorithin

So I am traveling to the Columbus area later this evening and will be there throughout the weekend.

You definitely have to hit up Wolf's Ridge, they're really known for their stouts but all their varieties are great! Also Hoof Hearted if you're a NE IPA fan. If you aren't from Ohio, I highly suggest hitting up Platform, it's one of my favorites in Cleveland :)

If you want bottle shops, definitely check out Crafted Drafts, Weiland's Market and even Lizardville.

Mitch

Banned
Tried Rocket Fuel from 8th wonder. Wow, is this Starbucks Coffee in a can? It sure does taste like so. Still pretty terrific.
8th wonder makes some okay beer, but Rocket Fuel is so damn good.

I really miss Houston beer. Can't wait to go back and hit up Brash and St. Arnold.

FwDF4kC.jpg

Fave local bottle shop had all sorts of goodies today, all six of which I've never had before. Definitely looking forward to seeing what all the Modern Times hype is about (glad they're finally available here in Oregon).

riotous

Banned
Track #8 is one of my absolute favorite beers. Nice haul.

Gonna look for some Parabola tonight; guess it's out in the wild and somewhat limited.

Fave local bottle shop had all sorts of goodies today, all six of which I've never had before. Definitely looking forward to seeing what all the Modern Times hype is about (glad they're finally available here in Oregon).

How is the Lost Abby stuff? Friend brought a bunch back from somewhere and haven't gotten to try it yet.

Tried Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and was left disappointed. It's just too bitter and bland. I've tried Pale Ales (fireman #4 was amazing) before and generally like them but, this was too bitter for me. It's gunna be hard to finish this 6-pack. Ah well, live and learn, right?

IMG_6356.jpg

Been about a year since I had this last. Lots of melon and guava.

Tried Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and was left disappointed. It's just too bitter and bland. I've tried Pale Ales (fireman #4 was amazing) before and generally like them but, this was too bitter for me. It's gunna be hard to finish this 6-pack. Ah well, live and learn, right?

Firemans #4 is a blonde/golden ale. That might be why.

Lotto

Bu Weisse! Word is that deGarde is cancelling their Bu series indefinitely. Any merit to this claim? I've only had a few of them but they were tasty, hoping it's not true.

Track #8 is one of my absolute favorite beers. Nice haul.

Gonna look for some Parabola tonight; guess it's out in the wild and somewhat limited.

I still remember my first Track #8. Raisin bourbon delight, so good. I'm also on the hunt for Parabola, my store said this monday hopefully. I've only had pours of it but it's always so great, would love to try it in the bottle.

Bu Weisse! Word is that deGarde is cancelling their Bu series indefinitely. Any merit to this claim? I've only had a few of them but they were tasty, hoping it's not true.

Sounds like it's true. Trevor wants to get away from kettle sours and focus more on saisons and Lambic inspired stuff.

Lotto

Damn, I'll have to get my hands on a few more before they end it :( Although I am excited for more lambic stuff.

Skipping trying to wake up and get KBS in the morning. It isn't worth it.

And, I am being sacrilegious here, but actually going to cut down and/or eliminate beer from here on out. I have a bunch of bottles in the fridge and about 30 or so in storage, but I am trying to reduce my calorie intake and frivolous spending. I will probably get a beer when going out to eat, but won't be spending as much or buying much of anything for home for the foreseeable future.

Trying to find ways to cut spending and stop my pants from being so tight lately. And I also noticed I am sleeping better without having as much alcohol this past week.

I will still pop in here occasionally, but not as frequently.

And I will slowly, ever so slowly, crawl my way to 1000 unique beers on untappd.

How is the Lost Abby stuff? Friend brought a bunch back from somewhere and haven't gotten to try it yet.
I've only had their Serpent's Stout and Deliverance before, but both of those were fantastic.

That would be a real shame, if true.

Ron Mexico

I really enjoyed the Angel's Share--found it on draft randomly here in Jersey. Would love to grab a bottle around here.

Trevelyan

Banned
Any Gaffers around the Sacramento area have recommendation for beer? Does NorCal brew good stuff?(besides Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada, the latter of which I'm not a fan of) Is Anderson Valley good? Saw they have a gose and I'm mighty interested in trying it

Skipping trying to wake up and get KBS in the morning. It isn't worth it.

And, I am being sacrilegious here, but actually going to cut down and/or eliminate beer from here on out. I have a bunch of bottles in the fridge and about 30 or so in storage, but I am trying to reduce my calorie intake and frivolous spending. I will probably get a beer when going out to eat, but won't be spending as much or buying much of anything for home for the foreseeable future.

Trying to find ways to cut spending and stop my pants from being so tight lately. And I also noticed I am sleeping better without having as much alcohol this past week.

I will still pop in here occasionally, but not as frequently.

And I will slowly, ever so slowly, crawl my way to 1000 unique beers on untappd.

I've been making effort to only drink on weekends. Maybe do that?

Triz

Any Gaffers around the Sacramento area have recommendation for beer? Does NorCal brew good stuff?(besides Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada, the latter of which I'm not a fan of) Is Anderson Valley good? Saw they have a gose and I'm mighty interested in trying it

Heretic Brewing in Fairfield is great. You should be able to find Evil Twin and Evil Cousin on shelves (Red and IPA respectively.) Also Rushtaller out of Sacramento makes some great beers too albeit a bit pricy. 1881 Would be my go to from them.

Im in the Anderson Valley is shit camp.

Edit* there are a TON of Nor Cal breweries by the way: heres a editable map for just some of the options.

If you like IPAs, Moonraker and Track 7 are killing it recently. Lots of hazy hoppy beers from them and nearby breweries. Fieldwork has a location there too that's worth checking out.

I have the pretty much opposite opinion of the poster above me. I wouldn't bother with Ruhstaller, their beers are overpriced messes (still have nightmares about that "kolsch"). The Anderson Valley goses are refreshing and cheap so I drink a lot of them.

Trevelyan

Banned
Thank you very much to both of you! I'm out near Placerville after having moved over here from the Bay Area, so getting used to the beers in this area.

andycapps

I live near Founders and have had this on tap and in a 750 and a few bottles. It is great, but, I don't understand the hype.

Probably too late, but my suggestions are Platform, Land Grant, Seventh Son, Elevator, Pigskin out in Gahanna.

Wolf's Ridge is really good. They have a great brunch, and some sort of breakfast cocktail with espresso and bourbon, I believe. Or at least they had that, don't see it on their menu anymore.

Yeah I got there at maybe 10:15 and the stock was pretty low.

Looks like KBS might come out here Mon/Tues?

Yeah, I got there around 11 and they had two cases left.

Bellingham got KBS today, so that would make sense. Still need to meet up for that Mango Table. Maybe Chucks this week?

fo8nZgQ.jpg

Legit; such a great balance to this.

Almost bought one of these today, but the price was almost as bad as Older Viscosity. But I've never tried Parabola and am now kicking myself a bit.

I did pick up
- Saison au Miel (wildflower honey saison) -- Lefthand Brewing (CO)
- Caldera IPA -- Caldera (OR)

Never had anything by either of those breweries.

I did pick up
- Saison au Miel (wildflower honey saison) -- Lefthand Brewing (CO)
- Caldera IPA -- Caldera (OR)

Never had anything by either of those breweries.

The Saison au Miel is underwhelming, kind of a one-note sweetness. The Caldera IPA is decent, kind of an old school west coast IPA. Not something I'd pick up again though.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever had any of Libertine's wild ales? Their bottle designs always catch my eye, but know nothing about that brewery.

H3xum

You definitely have to hit up Wolf's Ridge, they're really known for their stouts but all their varieties are great! Also Hoof Hearted if you're a NE IPA fan. If you aren't from Ohio, I highly suggest hitting up Platform, it's one of my favorites in Cleveland :)

If you want bottle shops, definitely check out Crafted Drafts, Weiland's Market and even Lizardville.

Probably too late, but my suggestions are Platform, Land Grant, Seventh Son, Elevator, Pigskin out in Gahanna.

Wolf's Ridge is really good. They have a great brunch, and some sort of breakfast cocktail with espresso and bourbon, I believe. Or at least they had that, don't see it on their menu anymore.

My quick and dirty Columbus trip. A beer or two beer and then walked/Ubered to the next:

So I went to Wolfs Ridge and had their Imperial Stout, Dire Wolf, it was delicious. They had a dry hopped variant of it that was a little too sharp for me.

I really, really liked Hoof Hearted, "Did we just become best fwiendz", a DIPA of theirs they handed me when I was like "so I heard konkey dong is pretty good". It was delicious (and they also have nice pint glasses, heavy, short and fat). It was so good it lead me to trying a Roller Blabe which was equally delicious.

Platform was also good, I had one of their "normal" rotation IPAs (speedy merchant) and one of their small batch DIPAs that turned out to be a NE IPA. Amarillo something or another.

I also made it to Seventh Son. I had a Proliferous. It was pretty solid but too piney for me. Probably my favorite environment though. They had a fire going out front that made me want to sit there all evening.

Lastly we went to North High Brewing. I tried their Stardust. Pretty juicy DIPA but it felt like there was a ton of pepper in there, smelled and tasted dank to me. But, I did mention the word dank to the bartender when they asked me how I liked it and it made her laugh and I got a free pour for the vocab

Mitch

Banned
Glad you liked the places you visited, H3xum!

You got to try some of the best Hoof beers. Konkey, Blabe and Fwendz are stellar.

HiResDes

Umm yeah I know KBS is hyped and all but man I forgot how rich the coffee flavor in it is, like Sunday Morning gets 90 percent of the taste correct but there's something magical about this body coupled with the richness of the coffee.

riotous

Banned
Umm yeah I know KBS is hyped and all but man I forgot how rich the coffee flavor in it is, like Sunday Morning gets 90 percent of the taste correct but there's something magical about this body coupled with the richness of the coffee.

Nice; seems to be coming out Tues/Wed here.

Wasn't super impressed when I had it last year but still excited to try it again.

Top Bottom