• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

God damn Veil is putting out something amazing tomorrow and I was going to go to a KBS event. Still 2 hours away if I even want to try to pick it up too. A Oreo Hornswoggler variant. Wish I lived closer to Richmond.

Randomly showing up when they had the Oreo Hornswoggler up a few months back has was the highlight of my year. May be the best thing I've had all year.

Badgerst3

fo8nZgQ.jpg

Legit; such a great balance to this.

Is indeed awesome. Try the Firestone Walker XX if you have not already.

I like it even better. Seems deeper with a more balanced sweetness. It's blended perfectly.

My current favorite hard to find beer.

Mitch

Banned
Umm yeah I know KBS is hyped and all but man I forgot how rich the coffee flavor in it is, like Sunday Morning gets 90 percent of the taste correct but there's something magical about this body coupled with the richness of the coffee.
I have two Sunday Morning and Mole in the fridge. I think I'm going to do a side by side of all of these once I get KBS this week.

Jarnet87

KBS is hard to find? We get it here in Canada. Can't be that difficult.

It's more that people go crazy and try to stock up and in a lot of places they only get a couple cases. Like in Florida most Total Wines only get a couple cases so they limit it to 1 bottle per person.

I much prefer KBS to SMS but I love that Weyerbacher gets a shit ton of it out to stores. Maybe it's just Florida though getting shafted on KBS supply.

Mitch

Banned
I wouldn't include Mole in that sample. It's ok, but much much lighter than than SMS.

Agreed Mole is kind of garbage, might be the worst of the Cinnamon/Chile style stouts I've had. And yeah that's just KBS 2017.
Definitely lighter than SMS. I think it's a standout stout. Nothing like Big Bad or Jackie O's stouts, but I liked it enough to hunt for a 4-pack.

Looks like Heinens will have Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale on draft. $10 for a growler fill.

Ekdrm2d1

Right now I think I'd order it:

KBS
Big Bad Baptist
Champion Ground
Sunday Morning

What about Good Morning from Tree House or Mornin' Delight and KBBS from Toppling Goliath.

Fake edit: holy shit..

Assassin, Mornin Delight, and KBBS. Guy sold the trio for $1,200
A full set of 2013 Toppling Goliath Stouts. 1 bottle each Assassin, Mornin' Delight and Kentucky Brunch. Bottle count on M.D. and KBBS was 300 bottles total. Unopened and well cellared since purchase.
https://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=21870

Also, I'd love nothing more than to see something like a double-blind taste test of some of these whales against, say, a similar style found within 50 miles.

As would I.

A guy I know did a double-blind of a bunch of hazy canned IPAs including Bissel Brothers, Tree House, Other Half, Tired Hands, Trillium, etc.

A local beer, Big Juice Smoothie Edition from Three Magnets in Olympia, WA won. And this guy is a self-professed Tree House fanboy.

Brewed in Tillamook, Des. Gonna be under de Garde distribution footprint (WA, OR, CA).

Where at?

Edit: is that the street behind Bottleworks!? Lol

That's on top of my car in the parking lot of Bottleworks. They got a TON of both 12 oz and 22 oz bottles. No packs, not even sure if they had limits.

riotous

Banned
Yeah I recognized the bush; just dropped by and grabbed 3 of the 12 oz bottles. Have a buddy from Tacoma who wants one, nice to find it so easily.

Brewed in Tillamook, Des. Gonna be under de Garde distribution footprint (WA, OR, CA).

That's on top of my car in the parking lot of Bottleworks. They got a TON of both 12 oz and 22 oz bottles. No packs, not even sure if they had limits.
Is de Garde changing its labels, or is it just for that collaboration?

Got a KBS and I'm happy about that. Did also travel down to Richmond to get the peanut butter Hornswoggler which I'm even happier about. Could have stuck around for 2 4 packs I'm sure but I was satisfied with the taste I got there and the 4 cans to bring back for friends.

Now to hope I get some Parabola this year.

I like the smaller bottle, if it means there is more of them/I can actually get one this year. Will see. It doesn't sit on the shelves here like it does out west it seems. But whatever, I'm still on cloud 9 about that Hornswoggler.

I love the smaller bottles. 22 oz is a lot of beer to drink at that high of an ABV. My wife likes stouts, but she usually content to just share a pour with me.

Speaking of smaller sizes, I'm psyched that Peche n Brett is in 375s this year.

riotous

Banned
Yeah Parabola everywhere but going fast; it sold out in a few hours at Beer Junction.

I have 3 bottles left; good one to age to I'm happy about that. It'll probably show up randomly too at grocery stores and I might grab 1 more. The small size is awesome for cellaring.

I was a bit underwhelmed with KBS last night; it's just all coffee to me. I'm honestly debating trying one with a coconut creamer LOL. My wife ended up grabbing me a 4 pack not knowing I'd already bought myself some so now I'm left with like 6 left.

thabiz

There's a big trend in Canada with the 355ml cans. Bellwoods just announced that they are going exclusively 355. I expect most Toronto/Ontario brewers to follow suit. I know this is a thing in the US, but it's just started to take off in Canada.

codhand

There's a big trend in Canada with the 355ml cans. Bellwoods just announced that they are going exclusively 355. I expect most Toronto/Ontario brewers to follow suit. I know this is a thing in the US, but it's just started to take off in Canada.

maybe there will even be hazy ipas in said cans, what a time

Jarnet87

Only grabbed a bottle of KBS even though they offered to sell me a 4 pack.

Saw on BA that Lagunitas is doing Born Yesterday again, this time calling it Born Again Yesterday. Might be out in your area as it's listed as March-June 2017. For anyone who missed out it was a kick ass Pale Ale, will definitely grab a sixer or two. someone in the thread said they tried it and was just as good as last year's version.

Bacon

Saw on BA that Lagunitas is doing Born Yesterday again, this time calling it Born Again Yesterday. Might be out in your area as it's listed as March-June 2017. For anyone who missed out it was a kick ass Pale Ale, will definitely grab a sixer or two. someone in the thread said they tried it and was just as good as last year's version.

Awesome. Born yesterday was great!

Tallboys arent 355ml are they?

So you're just talking about basically 12 oz cans? Huh.

Tallboys are 16 oz/473ml.

They did Born Against Yesterday last year as well. Good beer. NOT A FRESH HOP.

202439.jpg

Had one of these tonight (not my picture). Great beer. The spice from the chilies is immediate, along with cinnamon and some chocolate notes. The finish is long on coffee and chocolate. It's like a mole macchiato. My wife was less impressed; she said it had a metallic taste (despite it coming in a bottle). So YMMV. But she's bad at judging beer, and I'm correct that it is an excellent example of a Mexican spiced stout (I know it's brewed in Spain but those flavors are classic Mexican cuisine). And it's 12% but it dos'ent taset a btit liek taht its' thtat srsontg. WHEEEEE!!!

I also picked up the Aún Más a Jesús, but I can't justify drinking two of these in one night (on a Wednesday anyway).

H3xum

Had a Columbus trip last weekend and have a Chicago trip this weekend

I hope it will be half as successful!

I've had quite a bit out of Revolution and think everything is pretty decent but I haven't had a "woah" beer from them (yet).

Osahi

Found a bottle of this beauty (2010 edition, 750ml) in my storage. They are predicting nice weather this weekend, so I might crack it. Or should I wait (it get's softer and richer in taste with the years. Normall you should be able to keep it for 10 years, but actually, as long as the cork is intact, it shouldn't turn bad).

brouwerij-boon-boon-geuze-mariage-parfait-375cl.jpg

Any Geuze lovers here?

andycapps

Has anybody had Darn Putin from Platform? Had that and some Amarillo Fog (hazy IPA) at their place in Columbus Saturday and really enjoyed both, but the Putin was a cut above.

Lotto

Found a bottle of this beauty (2010 edition, 750ml) in my storage. They are predicting nice weather this weekend, so I might crack it. Or should I wait (it get's softer and richer in taste with the years. Normall you should be able to keep it for 10 years, but actually, as long as the cork is intact, it shouldn't turn bad).

Any Geuze lovers here?

Just had a Oud Gueuze Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal a couple days ago. Definitely enjoy them but their flavor profile is so strange I think it's interesting they've gained more popularity recently. Musty, funky, and sometimes smells like rubber or wet hay, but it's oddly satisfying to drink in the late afternoon.

Top Bottom