• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before David Lynch's 'Dune", there was Alejandro Jodorowsky's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jodorowskys-Dune-Movie-Poster.jpg
Man, the whole Mondo poster thing drives me nuts. "oh that's amazing oh I can't buy it anywhere oh I can but it's $400". I want this though.

This one looks insane too:

omgkitty

Man, the whole Mondo poster thing drives me nuts. "oh that's amazing oh I can't buy it anywhere oh I can but it's $400". I want this though.

This one looks insane too:

You guys talking about this one (sorry I can't see some pictures at work):

I actually own one of these, and bought it when it came out for $50 or whatever it was. Sold it a year or so later and then bought another one only a few months ago for like $100 or something? I was going to say I could help you find one for cheap, but then saw the price has skyrocketed in the last month or so. I'll keep an eye out for it and if I see it for cheap I can let you know!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is finally showing in Miami in a double feature with Lynch's Dune, 5/2 at O Cinema. I don't think I can miss seeing these with an audience, especially Lynch's. Miami GAF should show up!

mattiewheels

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just finished watching this. Truly heartbreaking. Could have easily been one of the greatest, if not greatest, science fiction films of all time, if Alejandro was allowed to make it. Instead, Hollywood shot itself on the foot by revamping the project and handing it over to David Lynch. Alejandro really is a visionary, and it's pretty certain he was crushed eternally when he was taken off of the project. I'd give anything to see this film realized some day.

mattiewheels

I'll go. Im only 40 minutes north from Miami.
Did you go, man? I'm going to try to at least make it to the original at 11 tonight.

Mike M

Nick N
Saw this docu last week, followed by a Q&A with someone involved in the production (not sure who it was, had no idea it was going to happen.)

While I don't know if I would have enjoyed the movie if it had ever been made, the charisma of this man and his ability to collect a super team as he did was astonishing. I definitely want to read the comics he and Moebius did together.

Saw the the documentary the day it was released and it was pretty good. How I wish I could get my hands on the big book they printed in order to sell the studios on the movie.

I get the feeling that, IF the movie had been made, and even if it had turned out to be crap, it would still have been a whole lot more interesting than Lynch's take on Dune (I love David Lynch, but NO). Dali, Welles, music by Pink Floyd, etc. Just crazy to think about.
I definitely want to read the comics he and Moebius did together.
DO EET. The Incal is a trip. Not for everyone, but I am glad I read it.

Fjordson

I saw this last month. Thought it was fantastic. Think any sci-fi fan will enjoy it. Jodorowsky was just so charming and fascinating as the main subject and it was neat to see some of the art and storyboards from the movie.

It also spurred me to buy some of Jodorowsky's comics. Got the complete Incal collection and the omnibus for The Metabarons. They're great. Jodorowsky's imagination is just insane.

Shiv47

I've loved Lynch's Dune since I saw it when it came out, but I also really enjoyed this documentary. Jodo's Dune would have been completely nuts, but no doubt worth seeing. The documentary was also unexpectedly inspirational, with Jodorowsky's words about pursuing dreams well worth hearing. And I wish a publisher like Taschen would do a reproduction of that book of the movie, even though it would cost a crazy amount.

ezekial45

Banned
I loved this documentary. It was fantastic, and it really showed just how ridiculously talented Jodorowsky is. I'd really love for an animated film to be made. That'd definitely be the way to go for adapting this work.

Honestly, I think the pre-production and legacy of this movie would make for a great biopic. I really love reading about film productions, and this one was just incredible to see unfold.

Wonderfully entertaining documentary.

Kind of the emotional opposite of LOST IN LA MANCHA.

I've been wondering about this movie forever! Saw it as a kid on showtime and it freaked me out, haha.

Wait nvm, the photo reminded me of some other film with these weird floating metal orbs that attacked people.

PHANTASM

aw man i was hoping this bump meant it was on netflix or something

FUCK NO I MISSED A SHOWING AT MY COLLEGE TOWN I WOULD HAVE DRIVEN DOWN FOR THAT

jett

D-Member
As someone that has never seen a Jodorowsky movie and has never read Dune, this was still really entertaining, AJ is a really charismatic guy. I do wonder if I would've liked the final product, I'm leaning on definitely no, just basing it on AJ's weird ass, obviously dope-inspired ideas. :p A drop of blood that turns into sperm which we actually see traveling through the uterus until it impregnates an ovum? Yeah okay. This would've been undoubtedly a massive bomb and the guy is clearly nuts for thinking this would change the world, as he put it. As he explains his ideas it becomes more clear why nobody financed it. Really intriguing documentary.

Andrew.

Banned
Im gonna have to wait til this gets released on DVD or Amazon vid to experience it. Totally missed its showing in Miami.

mattiewheels

jett: I guess that's the interesting thing about this doc, that this guy was imagining something that could never have BEEN a final product. It was limitless in its ambition and scope, but film doesn't allow it since its an artform built on compromise. But the doc is so valuable, and so is that huge book they showed, it's a way to show everyone how impossible it is to do something like this.

Ridley327

jett: I guess that's the interesting thing about this doc, that this guy was imagining something that could never have BEEN a final product. It was limitless in its ambition and scope, but film doesn't allow it since its an artform built on compromise. But the doc is so valuable, and so is that huge book they showed, it's a way to show everyone how impossible it is to do something like this.

Not to mention that it makes a great argument for its demise when it shows just how deep the roots of the project went with influencing other productions. If I had to pick between this getting made or even just Alien getting made, it's the latter every damn time, and I say that as someone who is a big Jodorowsky fan.

zoukka

As someone that has never seen a Jodorowsky movie and has never read Dune, this was still really entertaining, AJ is a really charismatic guy. I do wonder if I would've liked the final product, I'm leaning on definitely no, just basing it on AJ's weird ass, obviously dope-inspired ideas. :p A drop of blood that turns into sperm which we actually see traveling through the uterus until it impregnates an ovum? Yeah okay. This would've been undoubtedly a massive bomb and the guy is clearly nuts for thinking this would change the world, as he put it. As he explains his ideas it becomes more clear why nobody financed it. Really intriguing documentary.

The man did not use any dope.

I recommend you read the Incal trilogy and Metabarons, the best sci-fi universes ever created in comics.

jett

D-Member

Indeed, his Dune was as insane as it was completely and utterly uncompromising.

I recommend you read the Incal trilogy and Metabarons, the best sci-fi universes ever created in comics.

I don't know about that, he literally said that he wanted people that watch Dune to feel the effects of LSD without actually taking the drug. I'm assuming he knows first hand what's that like. :p

I'll look into his comic books because I definitely dug some of the ideas and designs presented in the doc.

Andrew.

Banned

I dont know what you consider "dope". Im guessing weed?

But during the filming of "The Holy Mountain"

via Wikipedia:

Jodorowsky was also instructed by Ichazo to take LSD for the purpose of spiritual exploration. He also administered psilocybin mushrooms to his actors during the shooting of the death-rebirth scene.

This was fun but 90 minutes just didn't feel like enough, especially when the doc had to first take time bringing the audience up to speed on Jodorowsky himself. Shame this wasn't some 3 hour fest where they could go into meticulous detail on more aspects(There's def enough content for that). Bluray seems to have 20 minutes or so of deleted footage though but the doc itself ultimately left me wanting more.

mattiewheels

This was fun but 90 minutes just didn't feel like enough, especially when the doc had to first take time bringing the audience up to speed on Jodorowsky himself. Shame this wasn't some 3 hour fest where they could go into meticulous detail on more aspects(There's def enough content for that). Bluray seems to have 20 minutes or so of deleted footage though but the doc itself ultimately left me wanting more.
I can only hope the next step is for something like Taschen releasing that Dune concept book to the public. But even that thing is unpublishable as is.

zoukka

I dont know what you consider "dope". Im guessing weed?

But during the filming of "The Holy Mountain"

via Wikipedia:

Yeah he's been open about what he has tried and tasted, but he clearly stated in interviews that the "trips" on drugs were artificial and dangerous and prevented him from working so he didn't want to continue with any drugs.

It's infuriating that when people see experimental stuff in movies and music, it's always drugs they think first. Just like with Frank Zappa. It just buries any real discussion under a pile of ignorant shit :)

But once you read AJ's stuff and watch his movies, you'll quickly learn what a genius he is and where his creative ideas come from.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Does this have a Blu-ray/iTunes release date for Europe?

A quick search on Amazon.co.uk only brings up a US import.

Dying to see this!

Tizoc

I thought this was about the book Dune and that there was such a book that predates it, but all the info in the first post is very interesting, woah.

Andrew.

Banned
So I finally got around to watching this last night and man, it is one of the coolest, most mesmerizing documentaries I've seen in quite some time.

For being 84 years old, Jodorowsky is so full of life, passion and ambition. Not only just in general, but still for this project. I got the sense that even if he was given free reign to create the motion picure today, he would STILL be able to pull it off. It's like the whole film is eternally captured up in his brain. I loved his stories about hiring the big names for their participation, particularly Pink Floyd and Dali. And the soundtrack, my god. Whoever that composer is completely nailed this surreal hybrid of Floyd and Tangerine Dream. It was heavenly and what is Im assuming going to be what the soundtrack to Dune could've been.

The artistic direction (Foss's pictures and Giger's designs) were on a whole other level. The pictures were simply out of this world. My jaw dropped when they showed what the castle of Harkonnen was going to look like Xenomorph head and all, and then later cut to the late scene in Prometheus when you see it in the background! I was shocked to see how much of this project carried over to later sci fi films. The character designs were simply wondrous to look at. So full of color and imagination (like the spice ship that looked like some sort of tropical fish). Once again like all of Jodorowsky's work, everything seemed like something out of an otherworldly dream that no one but this man would be able to concoct and bring to life.

One thing that especially stood out was the fact that no one, including Jodorowsky had actually read the book. He bought the rights for cheap and as such, was allowed to have his way with the world, however he chose to do so. This reminded me much of when Kubrick bought the rights to "The Shining" and thus crafted his own tale out of the story, nitpicking odds and ends that King included, but mostly making it his own work.

It's a tragedy that this was never made, however it was really cool to see Jodorowsky say that he wouldn't mind it being animated (which he knew could be done today, easily or not). Also fascinating were the comic books that he and Moebius crafted together, adding in panels of shots that were more or less directly taken off of Dune's storyboard. I'd love to get my hands on that.

All in all once again one of the best docus I've seen in a long, long time. Simply an amazing watch for me and like others have said, I'd give anything to get my hands on that telephone book of a storyboard script.

Fjordson

I can definitely recommend his comics. His crazy imagination translates well to them and the art is fantastic. Captures some of the art design he was shooting for with Dune.

The Incal with Moebius and The Metabarons are the two series to look for. Both are crazy sci-fi epics that have elements of this Dune project in them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No. He doesn't need to pollute this masterpiece with LOOK AT THIS FUCKING FLOWER'S CURVATURE, OH MY GOD NATURE, IM HUGGING THE GRASS bullshit.

You havent seen Badlands, huh? He is only artsy when he wants to be, he can tone it down in favor of telling more of an orthodox story. And frankly a weird story like Dune could use some of those slow surrealistic shots, maybe of spacecraft or the planetary surface. Days of Heaven was a good middleground.

I wonder where the storyboard/artbooks that went to the studios are today. Those things would be worth a fortune.

I'd like to purchase some high-quality recreations of some of the artwork.

Shiv47

Goddamn. On Amazon, The Incal is going for 250+ dollars.

Humanoids has reprinted the first Incal volume three times in the last four years, so they might do another one. Failing that, they also sell e-book versions of each issue.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lynch's Dune is incredible but that artwork is awesome. They wouldn't have been able to pull it off on actual film to make it as cool looking as the artwork though. They should just remake it now with minimal CG.

Andrew.

Banned
I wonder where the storyboard/artbooks that went to the studios are today. Those things would be worth a fortune.

I'd like to purchase some high-quality recreations of some of the artwork.

There's only two and Jodorowsky has one. I'm guessing maybe Michel Seydoux might have the other, but who knows.

There is always a tiny possibility that once J passes that the book could get copied and printed for the people.

Here is an awesome link from a magazine in 1982. Massive article about the movie that includes a bunch of artwork (PDF format)

http://www.littlegiger.com/articles/files/Cinefantastique_14_4_5.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom