• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before David Lynch's 'Dune", there was Alejandro Jodorowsky's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

The documentary is great. Jodorowsky has an infectious enthusiasm. Really easy to see why all these great artists got on board.

I own a bunch of Metabarons single issues but haven't read them for years. I somehow completely failed to realise they were written by Jodorowsky :O I really should get the complete collection soon.

Fjordson

Goddamn. On Amazon, The Incal is going for 250+ dollars.
Yeah, they can be hard to find, but Humanoids seems to reprint them when it goes away, so keep on an eye on http://www.humanoids.com/album/299

And for the Metabarons collection, I had to buy from the Amazon marketplace for $60, but it came all sealed and brand new. Pricey for a comic, but it's really good and almost 600 pages. Everything he ever wrote for the original series in a beautiful hardcover. I think I may actually like that one a bit more than The Incal. The art is incredible and it's one of the most insane (in a good way) space opera stories I've ever read/seen. Especially the sections in space.

hxvkN4q.jpg

Like that for example. Fuckin' space whales man :lol

Andrew.

Banned
One other thing I noticed was when AJ was discussing hunting down his special effects warrior and finidng Dan O'Bannon, they cut to a brief clip of Dark Star. Now, Im a huge Carpenter fan and somehow this movie has completely slipped under my radar. I really need to check it out. But I immediatley noticed that the font style of the words "Dark Star" on the spaceship is downright practically identical to the Dead Space videogame font.

SduMIy1.jpg

Dead_Space_Box_Art.jpg

There's only two and Jodorowsky has one. I'm guessing maybe Michel Seydoux might have the other, but who knows.

There is always a tiny possibility that once J passes that the book could get copied and printed for the people.

I could have sworn the documentary said they sent copies to all of the major studios. I believe it also said Seydoux had one as well.

Andrew.

Banned
I could have sworn the documentary said they sent copies to all of the major studios. I believe it also said Seydoux had one as well.

I thought that's what I heard too but then Refn says at the beginning that there's only two.

Man I want a copy so damn bad. Came home on break and rewatched a bit again. Smart move with avoiding paying Dali 100k an hour by giving him five minutes of screen time, paying him 100k for each minute and then using some mannequin head to represent him the rest of the film. Lol.

Andrew.

Banned
Someone needs to make a documentary on Kubrick's Napoleon.

Also, I hope this blu ray comes with some sweet extras (additional interviews, concept art, etc)

Schrade

The documentary was awesome. I went into thinking "ehh I dunno how long I'm going to last with this one..." and after a little bit I was hooked. I loved how much passion he poured into his work. It truly came from the heart.

His choices on actors and also some of the outfits were a bit out there though hehe.

I would love to see this taken and made into a movie. That whole book he had put together... just wow. And to see the "fingerprints" from that book in all the movies we've watched over the years was just amazing.

The clips from his earlier movies made me laugh. A golden poop, rofl! I totally went into Beavis mode and was going "mmmmPooop! eeerrrrrPooop!" in my head.

Andrew.

Banned
That .gif needs the "hhhehehehehehe" to go with it. I loved those dressed up horned lizards in Holy Mountain. It was so random and hilarious to me.

I never got to see Fando Y Lis. Gonna have to remedy that, but ease up on the weed intake beforehand.

Ridley327

The documentary was awesome. I went into thinking "ehh I dunno how long I'm going to last with this one..." and after a little bit I was hooked. I loved how much passion he poured into his work. It truly came from the heart.

His choices on actors and also some of the outfits were a bit out there though hehe.

I would love to see this taken and made into a movie. That whole book he had put together... just wow. And to see the "fingerprints" from that book in all the movies we've watched over the years was just amazing.

The clips from his earlier movies made me laugh. A golden poop, rofl! I totally went into Beavis mode and was going "mmmmPooop! eeerrrrrPooop!" in my head.

That's amazingly not even the weirdest thing that happens in The Holy Mountain. You should watch it and find out!

lupinko

I found out I can get the US bluray off Amazon Japan and the price is pretty reasonable, but I'm also tempted to rent off itunes to watch right away.

Although this is a documentary I'd love to rewatch!

I've seen the trailer so many times already. :x

lednerg

"Doggie Woggiez! Poochie Woochiez!" by Everything Is Terrible is a remake of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain, made by editing together all of the VHS footage featuring dogs they could get their paws on. AFAIK, you can only buy it from their site here. I bought it and I think it is wonderful. (this isn't an ad)

Tom_Cody

I watched this on Saturday night with my GF. So good.

Though by the end I felt like my brain was seeping out of my ears. I don't think I'm ready for The Metabarons yet.

I merely rented it on iTunes; are there any bonus features?

Little. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jodorowskys-Dune-Blu-ray/102188/#Review

Deleted Scenes (1080p): A Nice Killing (1:45), Costumes of 'Dune' (4:02), Frank Herbert's Novel (5:57), Jodorowsky and Seydoux Reunited (12:34), Jodorowsky on 'Dune's' Length (3:31), Jodorowsky on Hollywood (5:33), Jodorowsky's Film Philosophy (5:27), Seydoux on Dino De Laurentis (7:20), and The Conception of Alia (1:07). The scenes reinforce the passions of the man and leave the audience only to further linger on the "what if" questions that arise with a viewing of the final film. Optional English subtitles are included for the segments presented in French.

Jodorowsky's Dune Theatrical Trailer (1080p, 2:03).

Previews (1080i/1080p): Additional Sony titles.

Basically half an hour of deleted scenes.

Was waiting for this documentary to release for what seemed like ages, was not disappointed with the final result. His enthusiasm is infectious, and it saddens me that passionate artists/filmmakers like him are often sidelined for more mainstream approaches to cinema. I want to live in an alternate reality where people like him get the mega budgets they want to make the craziest, most insane movies possible. His brand of surrealism may be my favorite next to Lynch's. Santa Sangre is a great film Jodorowsky did, and anyone not familiar with it that enjoyed this documentary should check it out. Prepare yourself for weird lol.

Pink Floyd agreed to do the soundtrack for Caladan...my god what could've been.

lupinko

I just got this yesterday from amazon.jp and loved every moment of it. It is something also that aspiring movie makers should watch besides those who love cinema.

I'll definitely rewatch it on bluray and it's already inspiring me.

I think the deleted scenes were worth it, added more to the background of the production and it was nice to see Michel and Alejandro reconnect after many years.

I watched this recently—loved it, would love to see somebody animate the whole storyboard. What I would pay to read the storyboard!

Then I read The Incal Classic Collection.

What to read next? Before the Incal? Which version?

After the Incal? Final Incal? In which order?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The documentary is great. Jodorowsky has an infectious enthusiasm. Really easy to see why all these great artists got on board.

I own a bunch of Metabarons single issues but haven't read them for years. I somehow completely failed to realise they were written by Jodorowsky :O I really should get the complete collection soon.
Same here. To me it was always a "Moebius" book, and even then, it really wasn't.

I do want to re-read Metabarons and track down The Incal now though.

Blue Lou

I watched this last night and found it to be really enjoyable but I can't shake the feeling that the film would have been terrible. :D

That book he had made to show the studios looked incredible, it must be worth a fortune.

televator

Slight necro bump.

I just saw the doc and man... I'd pay to see this in Imax for sure. I was already getting certain vibes at the beginning of the documentary and then it gets to the part where Salvador fucking Dali was supposed to be a villain and it got meta for me at a very primal level. Holly fucking shit. This film in spoken form sounds like greatest Sci-Fi-Fantasy ever.

Star Wars with the visual flair of the Gankutsuou anime x 10. Some face melting shit right there, but such a film is clearly too good for the world we live in where its all about the bottom line.

As a Sci-Fi nut, I must now own that art book and The Incal comic.

I'm a fan of Lynch . . . but his Dune movie sucked. It was not good material for him to direct. He's better at crazy weird shit, not sci-fi.

Another bump: this was recommended to me by a friend and now I'm almost sad that I have seen it. What could have been, indeed...

Sci-fi fans should see this documentary and join me in crossing fingers that he somehow still gets to make his film.

Fjordson

Another bump: this was recommended to me by a friend and now I'm almost sad that I have seen it. What could have been, indeed...

Sci-fi fans should see this documentary and join me in crossing fingers that he somehow still gets to make his film.
Totally. Or at least print a hardcover version of that book!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Given the craze of finding comic books to adapt, I'm really surprised no one is doing a Metabarons movie. It'd basically be this Dune movie in all but name anyway.

Fjordson

Given the craze of finding comic books to adapt, I'm really surprised no one is doing a Metabarons movie. It'd basically be this Dune movie in all but name anyway.
Oh man, a Metabarons movie would be insane.

That's a really great comic. I got the hardcover omnibus after seeing this actually, since I hadn't been aware of Jodorowsky's comics other then Incal. It's so good.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Sounds like Dune.

Frank Herbert is a master of taking improbable crap like mind altering spice, giant penis worms and a feudal future with no computers and making it seem not only practical but logical. Lynch is a master of having weirdness just for weirdness' sake.

Fjordson

Yeah, I just ordered the Metabarons omnibus. At least, I think it is... it's over 500 pages, so that's probably it, right?
Yep. Mine is like 550 pages, called the "Ultimate Collection".

It's a weird comic and pretty disturbing in parts, but that's all part of the Jodorowsky charm. And the art is nothing short of incredible.

Yeah, I saw that 'Ultimate Collection' listed for something like 130 pounds. And then this for just over 20: link. But with the same amount of pages, so I went with that :p. Can't wait.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
I don't have access to Reddits at work...If someone goes on there to the Dune subreddits there is a link to where Brian Herbert is talking about a 5 hour cut of Lynch Dune is out there and what his father though about the movie. There a link to his interview.

Fjordson

Yeah, I saw that 'Ultimate Collection' listed for something like 130 pounds. And then this for just over 20: link. But with the same amount of pages, so I went with that :p. Can't wait.
Nice, that's actually a brand new version of the omnibus for the 40th anniversary. Don't think it's even out yet here in the States.

Flipyap

That would be such a huge waste.
I'm sure it would be an entertaining disaster, but it would once again prevent a faithful adaptation of Dune from being made for god knows how many more years/decades.
Even if most of the artists who were supposed to be involved with the project weren't dead, it just wouldn't be worth it.

Fjordson

That would be such a huge waste.
I'm sure it would be an entertaining disaster, but it would once again prevent a faithful adaptation of Dune from being made for god knows how many more years/decades.
Even if most of the artists who were supposed to be involved with the project weren't dead, it just wouldn't be worth it.
I'm not convinced it would have been a disaster. Jodorowsky did legitimately good work in the 70's as a director.

Edit: talking about back then. Nowadays, yeah, not sure how well it would turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom