• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before David Lynch's 'Dune", there was Alejandro Jodorowsky's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Not gonna lie, I'd love Dune with Magma music.

People who want to see what it may have looked like need to read his Metabarons comic, where he lifts from Dune pretty hard to create a saga about fathers and sons fighting each other in increasingly ridiculous ways.

I saw Lynch's Dune first and then read the book after. Have to say...ain't mad??

I used Lynch's Dune as a visual reference within my imagination and I enjoyed being able to pronounce words like "gom jabbar" and "kwisatz haderach" after hearing them in the movie while reading them in the novels.

Lynch's Dune catches a lot of flack. But even after reading 4 of the Dune novels, I still enjoy the movie. It's visually amazing. And the soundtrack is dope. The actors all give great performances. I get upset when people point to the Sci-Fi channel "movies" as better versions of Dune. They're not. They're longer and admittedly closer to the novel in narrative. But they're straight garbage on an artistic level.

Alx

I would pay a lot of money for the Moebius storyboards.

After the project failed, he and Jodorowsky used elements of the story board and character designs to create the incal comics saga. I remember there were samples from the original story board in some versions of the book, but I couldn't find any picture of them online.

incal.jpg

And those seem to be some of the original designs from Moebius for Dune :
More here.

Shiv47

I saw Lynch's Dune when it came out (I thought it was crazy that we given a handout with all the Dune terms and lingo when going into the theater), and I loved it then and still love it now. That said, Jodorowsky's version would have been amazing as well. Looking forward to this documentary.

gabbo

Honestly, you look at this movie, who was involved, and where the set designs and other such ideas appeared afterwards...and this would've been easily one of the greatest, most influential films of all time.

It would have been the the most pleasurable film failure to sit through bar none.

After the project failed, he and Jodorowsky used elements of the story board and character designs to create the incal comics saga. I remember there were samples from the original story board in some versions of the book, but I couldn't find any picture of them online.

And those seem to be some of the original designs from Moebius for Dune :

More here.

I don't know if this was mentioned but Refn is actually in the works of making a live-action adaptation of The Incal

Slavik81

man i never knew david lynch did the dune movie, my brother has been telling me for ages to read either the books or watch the movie but i have been brushing him off..now i really need to see this

The David Lynch movie is nothing like the books. It's a campy mess.The mini-series is far more faithful, though admittedly it is rather slow. The book feels faster, and more exciting.

Honestly, you should just read the book. It's very good.

I saw Lynch's Dune first and then read the book after. Have to say...ain't mad??

I used Lynch's Dune as a visual reference within my imagination and I enjoyed being able to pronounce words like "gom jabbar" and "kwisatz haderach" after hearing them in the movie while reading them in the novels.

Lynch's Dune catches a lot of flack. But even after reading 4 of the Dune novels, I still enjoy the movie. It's visually amazing. And the soundtrack is dope. The actors all give great performances. I get upset when people point to the Sci-Fi channel "movies" as better versions of Dune. They're not. They're longer and admittedly closer to the novel in narrative. But they're straight garbage on an artistic level.
The Westwood RTS game, Emperor: Battle for Dune, managed to walk a nice line. It took a lot of cues from the David Lynch movie without being marred by them.

krrrt

I could never trip while watching his stuff, especially "The Holy Mountain." That movie scarred me mentally in ways I never even thought possible and I wasnt even high when I watched it.

I watched The Holy Mountain while tripping. You're right about the scarring part. Life has never looked the same

I honestly liked the lynch film, my only beef is how the potrayed the weriding way which was supposed to be some crazy martial art instead of werid sound weapons. Casting was also great patrick stewert made a fucking great gurney hallack.

zoukka

I still fail to understand how he managed to score such a big project. Was everybody on acid at the time?

Because he's a great director. And contrary to common belief, Jodorowsky was never into drugs.

Btw: once he knew he lost the project and Lynch got it, Jodorowsky became depressed. At the premiere he was almost dying in his seat, but as the movie began and rolled he started to calm down and smile and in the end he was told to be laughing because how bad the movie was. Total catharsis!

Jodorowsky is the king of sci-fi writing. Dune must be the biggest lost opportunity ever...

Ratrat

I would like a decent faithful adaptation without all the weird shit added for once. Lynch was bad enough. Or maybe it was just the awful acting and laughable effects.

zoukka

But any alien race and thus politics should be weird. I hate when sci-fi is sterile and predictable. These days there's nothing bizarre nor disgusting in high budget entertainment,

boinx

People who want to see what it may have looked like need to read his Metabarons comic, where he lifts from Dune pretty hard to create a saga about fathers and sons fighting each other in increasingly ridiculous ways.

Also came in to say this.

Would have loved to see Jodorowsky's Dune though, all this sounds amazing.

Salsa

Jodorowsky, Moebius, and H. R. Giger together.

Dali, Welles, Pink Floyd music..

This movie was just not meant to happen, it would have been too good

Sober

Maybe they should get Peter Jackson to direct a Dune adaptation.

Except it would be 6 movies long and the girl playing Alia would be 15 at the end of it.

And then he would be forced to finish the first three books.

Ikael

This is probably the best movie that was never made. So much talent in one single place. The saddest thing was how poor Lynch's Dune turned out to be, and the fact that looking at the size of the script, this could have easily turned out into the greatest TV series ever.

Not the word that comes to my mind when I hear about Alejandro Jodorowsky.

You really ought to read the Caste of the Metabarons. When Jodorowsky is focused into making his audience feel one very precise feeling or message rather than an unfocused ambiguous sensation or rambles, he can be pretty darn awesome.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™

you and me are buddies :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Santa Sangre is Jodorowsky at his most accessible. Wonderful film, one of my all-time favourites.

Funny thing about all the concept work on Dune was that even as late as Prometheus you could still see bits filtering in to the Alien design philosophy. The silos in Prometheus bear a distinct resemblance to Giger's Harkonnen castle.

The only disappointing thing for me is that Chris Foss's work never got to be depicted cinematically in either Dune or Alien (where his work kind of got replaced by Ron Cobb's stuff), as he was/is truly a fantastic artist.

lednerg

EDIT: /\/\/\ Very cool. Thanks for that.

Lynch didn't have the kind of full control over Dune that he did for his later films; it's unfair to pin the blame solely on him or even to call the theatrical release a 'Lynch film'. In fact, one or more of the cuts of the film has an Alan Smithee credit for director. He refuses to talk about it anymore, but it's quite well known how unhappy he was with how the production went and that there were 'too many cooks'. Anyway, I saw a fan-edited version of Dune which included a lot of the cut scenes and fixed the pacing - it was a definite improvement.

vio

There is stuff about this on youtube since long time. It is very fascinating , mostly because of talent that was involved. But i cannot imagine it being a good movie, or even better than David Lynch`s version. If go by Jodorowsky`s filmography, i think it would have been one beautiful artsy pretentious mess.

boinx

I've seen the documentary now and what a fascinating story it was. And such a shame that this movie never came to be, all though the world of scifi movies might be radically different if this movie actually came out. This is also worth seeing just to witness Jodorowsky's personality, what a charming man.

I've seen the documentary now and what a fascinating story it was. And such a shame that this movie never came to be, all though the world of scifi movies might be radically different if this movie actually came out. This is also worth seeing just to witness Jodorowsky's personality, what a charming man.

Probably would be a good thing. Scifi film is generally pretty bland and boring, unfortunately.

FStop7

Banned
Lynch's Dune was 2/3 of the way there. It had the look. It had the soundtrack. It had the atmosphere. It had a (mostly) solid cast. But the script was weak.

I remember being given one of these at the theater when my dad took me to see Dune in 1984.

Dune-cheat-sheet-pg-1.jpg

Reeks

Man this film is the crack! The sets are unbelivable....

300px-El_Topo_Rep.jpg
This one is really good, too, esp if you dig acid westerns.

Sotha Sil

I want to see this so bad. Is it just on the film festival circuit as of now?

Apparently Moebius's widow won't allow the film to be shown in France (some copyright mess about his storyboard), which sucks immensely. Not sure about the rest of the world.

Iph

Banned
Love my Dune. It's really too bad this didn't happen back in the day, Dali and all. It's be amazing if someone with the right vision could take this on and make something great.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've been wondering about this movie forever! Saw it as a kid on showtime and it freaked me out, haha.

Wait nvm, the photo reminded me of some other film with these weird floating metal orbs that attacked people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom